|Find a language|
|Enter an ISO 639 code to find the corresponding language article
New phonetic alphabet
|Letter||Word||1972 version||BNL song||other suggestions|
|A||aether||aesthetic||aisle||"A" is aether across the aisles|
|B||bdellium||bdellium||bdellium||bdellometer||"B" is blessing with bdellium and a bdellatomy|
|C||czar||cyst||czar||Chanukkah, chthonic||"C" is the czar celebrating Chanukkah|
|D||Django||djellaba||djinn ("gin")||Dzongkha, 'dswounds ("zounds")||"D" is a djinn dressed in a djellaba|
|E||Euphrates||euphemism||Euphrates||eye, ewe||"E" is the eye of the Euphrates|
|F||ffoulkes||feign||fohn ("phone")||--> but dicts have "fain" or "fern", not "fone"|
|G||gnome||gnat||gnarly||gnu, gaol, gjetost||"G" is a gnome going to gaol|
|H||hour||heuristic||hour||honor, hlonipa, Hsi-an||"H" is the honor of Hsian|
|I||IHVH||ithyphallic||irk||"I" is irking to IHVH|
|J||jarlsberg||jarlsberg||jalapeño||"J" is jarsberg cheese with jalapeños|
|K||knickers||knickers||knick-knack||kshatriya, ktypeite ("tipi-ite"), kvetch||"K" is a knight knitting knickers|
|L||llama||llama||llama ("yama")||Llandudno, Lodz, Lancut ("wine-soot")||"L" is the llamas of Lancut|
|M||mnemonic||mnemonic||mnemonic||mnemic, Mpret ("bret")||"M" is a mnemonic for Mpret|
|N||Ndilo ("Deelo")||nuance||Ngomo ("Gomo")||Nguyen ("win"), Ngaio||"N" is the Nguyen family of Ndilo|
|Przewalski's horse, pneus "news"? pseud?||"P" is a psychotic pterodactyl|
|Q||qi?||quay||qat ("cat")||--> dicts have "kaht", not "cat"||"Q" is unloading qat on the quay|
|S||sjambok||sjambok||Saar||sbirro, 'Sblood, sphere, Szechuan|
|T||Tlingit ("Klinkit")||tzar||tsunami||Tchaikovski, tmesis|
|U||uilleann||ulema||urn||uakari, Uighur, Uitlander||"U" is uilleann pipes painted on an urn|
|V||veld ("felt")||veldt||vraisemblance||Vlach, vlei|
|W||who||wrath||wren, wrinkly, who||wrack, wheki ("feki"), Whakatane||"W" is whoever wrecked Whakatane|
|X||Xhosa||xylophone||Xi'an||Xmas||"X" is Xmas in Xhosaland|
|Y||ych a fi?||yttrium||yperite||Ypers ("wipers") , you|
|Z||Zsa Zsa||zloty||zed||zwitterion, zhuyin|
Thanks to Angr. My prefs:
- -our/-or: US (etymology, derivation, length)
- -re/-er: UK (etymology, derivation, but counterexamples fiber/fibrous, sober/sobriety, enter/entrance; on the other hand, centre/centering)
- -ise/-ize: US/UK -ize (already in both countries, etymology, disambiguation)
- -ogue/-og; -gramme/-gram, -fence/-fense, -exion/-ection: US (etymology, derivation, uniformity)
- ae,oe / e: US (length)
- ll/l: US (stress rules; woollen okay)
- l/ll: US (derivation, stress rules)
- license, and practice: US (derivation, pronunciation)
- grey, cosy, artefact, vice (tool), mollusc, pyjamas, calliper, moustache, camomile (UK)
- disk, tire, skeptic, carburetor, check, jewelry (US)
- ax(e), mo(u)ld, mo(u)lt, plow/plough, sulfur/sulphur, liquorice/licorice, yog(h)urt (who cares)
- story, cipher, draft (other form being abandoned in UK)
doesn't belong because it's not just a spelling difference.
- judgement, acknowledgment: UK (derivation)
Blocked page moves
If articles are being watched
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title= ... &action=info#mw-pageinfo-watchers
Statistical significance in polls
The p = 0.1 for 95% significance above a specific percentage is 1.28σ.
From the math ref desk:
- The problem of computing mean value and standard deviation for the result of polls is solved here: []. If the first poll shows X1 ≈ μ1 ± σ1 and the second poll shows X2 ≈ μ2 ± σ2 , then compute the difference X = X1 − X2 ≈ (μ1 ± σ1) − (μ2 ± σ2) = (μ1 − μ2) ± √(σ12 + σ22) = μ ± σ . Compute the quotient U = μ/σ . If, say, U=2.7, then try www.wolframalpha.com with input CDF[NormalDistribution[0, 1], 2.7] , and get the probability 0.996533. Bo Jacoby (talk) 06:37, 22 April 2014 (UTC).
The sampling error z for 95% confidence (p=0.05) is 1.96σ. Thus the above would be 0.653 and 0.842 z.
- S.Twa also indigenous, like Kwisi etc. (Inskepe). Kwisi may have once had cattle?
- expand kantenji
maybe fix language infobox so E17 fn's in eg Kagwahiva language link better. maybe code-link (name) as w Glotto.
- Language updates now that Glottolog codes finished
check for glotto\d w/o glotto: finish or consolidate ref
add Glotto codes for 'unclassified'
finish Pama–Nyungan languages classfj
fix Zande languages (red + spurious)
fix Sak language: glotto includes Pyu & rem. Taman (split/merge Bodo-Garo too?)
fix Zeme languages when rem. spurious
break up Kwomtari languages
red links Bahinemo languages
dbl check East Tucanoan languages
break up Central Plateau languages
fix Iwam languages
merge Mambiloid languages unclass.
break up Banggi languages?
break up Li'o language per classification
redo tree in lang box for Flores languages