Hi, I'm LightandDark2000 (or BlueHypercane761 on Wikimedia Commons). I am deeply fascinated with science, and I enjoy editing articles related to Tropical cyclones, as well as other articles with topics that interest me. I live in California, and I also have an interest in electronics and computer-related stuff. I am always trying to improve Wikipedia, and I constantly try to keep articles Vandalism-free.
A Barnstar for you!
|The Anti-Vandalism Barnstar|
|Dear LightandDark2000, you have been editing Wikipedia for several months now, and I noticed that in your contributions, you often revert vandalism, surprisingly without a wiki account! You deserve the Anti-Vandalism Barnstar, for all your effort. But I noticed that you often attack users who vandalize pages. Please warn them only when they commit more than one acts of vandalism, and be polite and welcoming to the new users. Thank You. I award you this Barnstar, so that you can be a better Wikipedian! Keep up the good work! Earth100 (talk) 12:32, 1 June 2012 (UTC)|
- Mr Wiki Pro
- Douglas bond of doom
A beer for you!
|So sorry to hear that you've been harassed by User:Mr Wiki Pro's newest sockpuppet. You're not alone. He's been doing the EXACT same things to me! Hang in there; keep reporting him every time he makes his presence known, if he's not blocked by then. Meanwhile, here's a beer to cheer you up! :) —This lousy T-shirt— (talk) 06:31, 14 April 2014 (UTC)|
A cheese wheel for you!
|A hard-earned cheese wheel of the finest quality|
|Enjoy this cheese wheel for your hard work fighting vandalism.... you've earned it! Dustin (talk) 03:28, 7 June 2014 (UTC)|
- Other links - IRC, Philippines NDRRMC, GMDSS, WX Trop, MT Archive, NRL imagery, Dundee, Temporary TC advisory archive, NOAA Ocean Coverage Satellite Imagery, Eastern Pacific Tropical Weather Discussion
The current conflicts in Ukraine and escalating tensions between the United States and Russia may spark World War III. Recently, Russia began flying fighter jets off the coast of California and Guam, preparing for a possible military strike. In response, President Obama visited military leaders in California on May 9, to debrief them on the Russian threats. In the first week of June 2014, Russian fighter jets began making passes over U.S. military vehicles, likely in preparation for an attack. On April 23, a Russian fighter jet passed within 100 feet of a U.S. military plane, and tilted itself just enough so that the U.S. crew could see that the plane was armed with missiles. Earlier in April, a Russian fighter plane had made a dozen passes over the USS Donald Cook,  in addition to multiple flights over or near the border of many NATO nations. The Government declared that this flight put the lives of the entire U.S. crew in jeopardy. If displays of aggression like these continue, a Russian attack may not be that far off the horizon.
- CNN latest news coverage on the Ukrainian crisis (in the event that I forget to update this, change the data in the web address to today's date in order to obtain the latest new coverage. But first, click on the 2nd bullet down from the top in the Crisis in Ukraine section.) LightandDark2000 (talk) 06:22, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
San Diego Complex Fire
Beginning on May 13, 2014, the worst wildfires to ravage San Diego County since the October 2007 Witch Creek Fire ignited. Over 19 wildfires were ignited and 29,338 acres of land was burned. Thousands were forced to evacuate from the worst of the fires over the course of 4 days, homes and property were destroyed by some of the largest of the wildfires. 6 people, mainly firefighters, were injured, and 1 person was confirmed to be dead. Most of those wildfires were ignited by wind-blown embers from the Bernardo Fire (the first one to ignite), which were all collectively dubbed as the San Diego Complex Fire by CAL FIRE and some other news agencies, beginning on May 15, 2014. The last of the wildfires was finally extinguished on May 21, but cleanup and recovery efforts still continue in the region. The estimated cost for the firefighting efforts and the damage caused by the wildfires is currently at $60 million (2014 USD) dollars.
- See May 2014 San Diego County wildfires for more information on the San Diego Complex Fire and the other wildfires that burning in San Diego County during that month. LightandDark2000 (talk) 19:33, 17 May 2014 (UTC)
Recent Astronomical Events
2014–2015 Lunar Tetrad
- Tuesday, April 15, 2014
- Wednesday, October 8, 2014
- Saturday, April 4, 2015
- Monday, September 28, 2015
Corresponding Solar Eclipses
- Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - Rare Annular Solar Eclipse
- Thursday, October 23, 2014 - Partial Solar Eclipse
- Friday, March 20, 2015 - Total Solar Eclipse
- Sunday, September 13, 2015 - Partial Solar Eclipse
Did you know...
- That the Universe is approximately 94 billion light-years across in diameter?
- The Universe is currently expanding at a rate about 6.643 times faster than the speed of light? This means that the edge of the Universe itself is expanding at about 3.32 times faster than the speed of light. Also, despite the Universe' accelerating expansion rate, the expansion is actually decreasing in terms of the ratio of volume Vs. the amount of expansion.
- That literal blue moons actually do occur? It's extremely rare, and it only happens during volcanic eruptions or large wildfires.
- Yellowstone's magma chamber is actually 2.5 times larger than scientists have originally thought? That makes Yellowstone's magma chamber about the same size it was during its last major eruption around 640,000 years ago.
- Scientists discovered the existence of Quadruple helix DNA on March 20, 2013?
- Black holes actually have a limit on how large they could become (about 50 billion solar masses at this time)? APM 08279+5255 is currently the most massive black hole known, with a mass of 23 billion Suns.
- Black holes eventually evaporate into planck-sized objects once they are no longer able to absorb any new material? When this happens, the black hole releases a large amount of energy in an explosion.
- Continent-size hurricanes, known as Hypercanes used to ravage the Earth (especially during the Holocene Epoch)? Those storms had winds at 500 mph, a low pressure around 700 millibars (21 inHg), and lasted for weeks on average. In fact, many cave systems and canyons exist today because of the erosion caused by these Hypercanes.
- California is currently overdue for a Megastorm? If such a storm occurs, much of Central Valley will be submerged under 10 feet of water, and the event will result in at least $750 billion (2011 USD).
- San Diego is actually overdue for a hurricane? Southern California actually has a history of being directly impacted by Tropical cyclones and hurricane-remnants, but it has been over 150 years since Southern California has actually been directly impacted by a hurricane.
- The United States is currently $17.52 Trillion (2014 USD) in debt, despite what politicians say? About $5.949 trillion dollars of that debt belongs to foreign countries, of which $1.272 trillion belongs to China. This is actually the worst debt America has ever seen in its entire history.
- Wikipedia is actually more reliable than most people believe? In fact, Wikipedia is one of the fastest-growing encyclopedias, with a higher correction rate than many other online encyclopedias. Despite the large amount of vandalism in many different areas, these are handled through administrative actions involving blocks.
- The United States has at least 400 Neo-Nazi's? (No, I am seriously not kidding.) As a matter of fact, after the failure of disciplinary action for many of the "lesser" Nazis during the Nuremberg trials, most of them went on to found various Neo-Nazi movements. Neo-Nazis in America have also founded their own institute, which exists even today and continues to deny the Holocaust. Additionally, despite the differences between the views of the various Neo-Nazi factions, most of the hardcore groups plan to: 1. Gain power in Germany and acquire Nuclear weapons. 2.) Use their new nuclear weapons to force the world to surrender and create a global Fourth Reich. 3.) Complete the elimination of all "inferior races" (well, you already know who the Nazis are going to target). 4.) Genetically engineer future "Aryan" generations into "perfect Superhumans" capable of unimaginable tasks. And finally, colonizing planets in the entire Milky Way Galaxy with their "Super-Aryans" to create a Galactic Reich.
- There is actually a herbal treatment that can completely reverse the effects of Alzheimer's Disease (yes, it has been proven to work). Unfortunately, public pharmacies are quite greedy (naturally), and as a result, they try to restrict all information about such products and work to get them banned from the marketplace, because they want people to always come back regularly for useless drugs that only provide temporary relief for the symptoms (if any at all).
- Genetic engineering can actually cure cancer and other genetic diseases once and for all? The problem is, the treatments haven't been completely perfected for all of the diseases (even though cancer treatments in this field have almost been nailed), and their is still quite a lot of opposition if varying places to this kind of technology.
- Prions are misfolded proteins that actually cause any proteins they come into contact with to become new prions? Mad Cow Disease is actually caused by a prion. Prions cause the rapid degeneration of Nervous Tissue due to cellular destruction, until death occurs. Due to their small size, the body has no immune response to it, but scientists are currently working on a treatment to eliminate prions. Since the destruction prions cause start out slow, no symptoms are visible for the first several years, but by the time symptoms can be identified, it is already too late for the patient. For reasons scientists still do not understand, all known prions only target Nervous Cells.
- HIV started out as SIV that only infected monkeys, until it jumped over into humans during the early 1900s and mutated into HIV? Today, HIV is causing a global pandemic.
- Allergies and other autoimmune diseases cannot be transmitted to another person (except through genetic inheritance from parents to their children)? This is because such diseases are genetic diseases meaning that they are not contagious because it is impossible for a person to acquire another person's genetic disease through normal means (unless the affected person somehow inserts their disease-causing gene into the other person's entire genome, which is impossible). Additionally, most people in the United States have some form of allergies. There is no cure at present for allergies or any autoimmune diseases; only drugs (and herbs) are available, which treat the symptoms of the diseases.
- Many geniuses and inventors had some kind of Autism, or displayed erratic behavior. This includes many famous people that we recognize today, including Albert Einstein.
- Contrary to popular belief, many kids in the younger generations of Americans are actually becoming shorter?
- Certain drugs and vaccinations had toxic chemicals that eventually lead to cancer and/or Alzheimers?
- Many food companies/restaurants use MSG as a flavor enhancer to open up your appetite, without ever telling you that it's there (including ingredient lists on food products)? Studies have shown that continued exposure to MSG leads to cancer and brain damage.
- String theory has been the only possible candidate so far for a Theory of everything? String Theory, if proven, would effectively unite General relativity and Quantum mechanics, the 2 major fields encompassing all of the laws of physics. String Theory would also bridge the gap between Gravity and the other 3 Fundamental Forces, in addition to explaining its behavior. Although the M-theory (the most likely candidate for String Theory) requires 11 dimensions to work, it is most likely that we don't see the other 8 dimensions (including Time) because we are simply unable to perceive anything beyond three dimensions. Thus, an 11-dimensional object would appear 3D to us.
- There are many scientific and mathematical anomalies that scientists currently are unable to explain?
- UY Scuti, the largest known star (at 1,708 Solar Radii), would extent beyond the orbit of Saturn if it was placed in the Sun's position? It is also not the most massive star.
- R136a1, the most massive star known, is a Wolf–Rayet Blue Hypergiant with an estimated mass of 265 Suns? it is also the most luminous star known, at 8,700,000 times the luminosity of the Sun.
- Quadruple Rainbows actually form under extremely rare conditions? Rainbow clouds are also a rarity, as are clouds in the shape of Double Helixes (such as the cloud structure in Typhoon Tip's eye while it was at peak intensity).
- Fire tornadoes (also known as Firenadoes) actually form under extreme conditions present only in powerful wildfires?
- Contrary to the popular (and stupid) assumption of most people al-Qaeda is actually active and very much alive? Although its leadership has been driven into hiding, the current leader, al Zawahiri, has ordered his subordinates to launch an attack on America. Their possible targets include Los Angeles, among other major U.S. cities. Their attacks were planned to avenge the death of their former leader, Osama bin Laden.
- We (Americans) actually helped the Taliban rise to power when the U.S. Government send aid to Islamic resistance groups to help topple Afghanistan's Communist regime. As such, the United States does have a responsibility to make sure that the Taliban goes down and stays down.
- Unlike what most people believe, everyone is constantly being surveyed by the government in public, no matter where they go? Soon, with the new development of drones, this surveillance may eventually intrude into the private lives of citizens without their knowing or consent.
- Studies have proven that billions of humans could survive a Nuclear war? People will survive, even if some countries do not.
- Russia has more nuclear missiles (as well as much more powerful ones) than the United States? Even though the United States has more allies (and more nuclear powers on their side), Russia still has the most powerful nukes, as of now.
- Most people reject things/people that "stand out" by habit, even if they refuse to acknowledge it? They also snub and shun people/groups who do things differently, even to an alarming degree (including abuse of power in the workplace). Additionally, most people give in to social conformity in order to "blend in", and they are also heavily addicted to electronics because they refuse to take their time off such devices and try to spend their time building real social relationships. As a result, modern generations are becoming more ignorant and socially deficient.
- Yellowstone actually experienced a smaller eruption about 174,000 years ago? That eruption generated the West Thumb portion of Yellowstone Lake.
- Both Russia and the United States have developed laser defenses against potential nuclear attacks? Conventional laser weapons actually aren't all that far off.
- In the past, Quasars used to be bunched up close together? A recent discovery in January 2007 found a Quasar Triplet near the visible edge of the Universe.
- Scientists were recently able to map the Gravitational shockwaves of the universe? This could also be proof of the existence of Gravitons, the yet undiscovered particles responsible for Gravity.
- On September 5, 2013, scientists discovered that Tamu Massif was actually the single largest volcano on Earth? It is about 14,620 feet high from its base, and 120,000 square miles across (around the size of New Mexico). The volcano is approximately 1,000 miles east of Japan. The volcano is also so large, its size rivals that of Olympus Mons.
- In late March 2014, scientists discovered 10199 Chariklo, the first known asteroid to have rings?
- IC 1101 is the largest known galaxy in existence? It is a supergiant Elliptical galaxy at the heart of the Abell 2029 Galaxy cluster. It is about 1.07 billion light-years away, in the constellation of Virgo. IC 1101 is an Elliptical Lenticular Galaxy that measures 2.8 million light-years across. The second-largest galaxy, NGC 262 (an unusually large Spiral Galaxy, measures about 2.6 million light-years across.
- In April 2014, scientists discovered the largest meteor impact ever known on the Earth, near the Barberton greenstone belt? The asteroid was approximately 5 times larger than the one responsible for the Chicxulub crater, around 23 miles (47 km) wide in diameter. The crater caused by the Barberton asteroid is estimated to be approximately 297 miles (487 km)across in diameter.
- Blue Moon. science.nasa.gov (July 7, 2004).
- Burge S, Parkinson G, Hazel P, Todd A, Neidle S (2006). "Quadruplex DNA: sequence, topology and structure". Nucleic Acids Res 34 (19): 5402–15. doi:10.1093/nar/gkl655. PMC 1636468. PMID 17012276.
- Riechers, Dominik A.; Walter, Fabian; Carilli, Christopher L.; Lewis, Geraint F. (2009). "Imaging The Molecular Gas in a z = 3.9 Quasar Host Galaxy at 0."3 Resolution: A Central, Sub-Kiloparsec Scale Star Formation Reservoir in APM 08279+5255". The Astrophysical Journal 690 (1): 463–485. arXiv:0809.0754. Bibcode:2009ApJ...690..463R. doi:10.1088/0004-637X/690/1/463.
- Bardeen, J. M.; Carter, B.; Hawking, S. W. (1973). "The four laws of black hole mechanics". Communications in Mathematical Physics 31 (2): 161–170. Bibcode:1973CMaPh..31..161B. doi:10.1007/BF01645742. MR MR0334798. Zbl 1125.83309.
4. The full track of Cyclone Katrina–Victor–Cindy, the longest-lived tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Southern Hemisphere, from December 30, 1997 to February 19, 1998.
6. A CAL FIRE fire map of the Bernardo Fire's burn area of 1,600 acres, as indicated in red. The Bernardo Fire also burned simultaneously alongside at least 8 of the major (named) wildfires ignited San Diego County in May 2014 (collectively known as the San Diego Complex). (See this NASA link for more info.)
7. An extratropical cyclone over the Central United States, which will later transition into Tropical Storm Sean (2011). The system had previously made landfall in Southern California as an extratropical cyclone on Sunday, October 30, 2011.
9. An image of a Quadruple Helix DNA strand, which is only present in the non-gene part of DNA strands. Quadruple helix DNA actually stabilizes the ends of chromosome strands. It was not discovered until January 20, 2013.
11. A rare rainbow cloud spotted above Boynton Beach in Florida, on July 31, 2012.
12. An image of a couble circular rainbow (a faint outer rainbow can be seen outside of the primary ring).
13. An image of a fire tornado, which only occurs under extreme conditions in large wildfires.
15. A map of the flood areas of the 1861–1862 California Megastorm. California is currently overdue for another ARkStorm, and should another one hit, the same areas are expected to be flooded, with severe consequences for the entire United States worse than those of California's long-overdue major earthquake.
16. Mount St. Helens' new spine lava dome, during its 2004–2008 Eruption, on May 4, 2006. From March 2005 to January 2008, the volcano extruded a solid slab of rock, only for it to collapse subsequently multiple times, leading to an increase in the size of its lava dome. By the end of January 2008, volcanic activity had tapered off and the eruption ended.