紫水晶殿 (むらさきずいしょうどの) studied history & East Asian Studies at Brandeis University, received a Masters in Japanese Studies from the School of Oriental and African Studies in London, and is currently pursuing an MA in Art History at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. He spent a semester at Jouchi Daigaku in Tokyo, in the spring of 2003, and has worked/interned at the Museum of Science, Boston, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and Japan Society (New York). He lived in Yokohama for a year, studying the Japanese language intensively at the Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies and attaining an advanced level ability in the language. He is looking forward to a career in academia and the museum world.
(Changing to first-person...) I've always wanted to learn more about pre-modern Japan, and working with Wikipedia gives me the focus and the drive to research people, places, and events. I love history in general, and very well might expand into other places & periods eventually; I just worry that I don't have enough background of knowing what I'm talking about... I am starting now to develop a passion for pre-colonial Southeast Asia, Okinawa, and other somewhat less well-traveled areas in the region. My Master's work has taken me deep into the histories of these areas within the early modern period (roughly 1500-1900), and I would love to continue to expand that knowledge. Eventually, I'm going to have to delve into Chinese history again, but as for my work on Wikipedia, there are more than enough people on those topics for me to need to get involved.
I've been editing and creating entries since roughly the beginning of December 2004, and have been a Wikipedia Administrator since October 2005.
Activities and Attitudes
I generally try to be as patient, flexible, and understanding on issues of debate as possible. I have found that such debates are more often than not, not worth fighting, as this is meant to be a hobby, and enjoyable. I do my best, therefore, not to get on anyone's nerves, and not to devote my free time, my hobby time, to arguing with people. However, this aspect of Wikipedia is I think one of its primary flaws. We really need to focus better on producing, accurate, objective material, and presenting it in a professional and academic manner.
The debates, the lack of respect for experience and knowledge, and other problems, along with my busy schedule in real life, drove me away from Wikipedia for a number of months in the first half of 2008. I have now returned and hope to keep a low profile from here on, being far less involved than I used to, and doing my best to add information without getting involved in the debates or politics which plague Wikipedia.
- Helping to cut down the number of articles in Category:Unassessed military history articles and Category:Unassessed Japan-related articles, Category:Unassessed Southeast Asia articles, Category:Unassessed former country articles. I hope that my comments are useful and I advise you to not take them personally - I do my best to supply constructive criticism of the article, and make no judgments as to the author(s).
- Working on expanding Wikipedia's poor coverage of subjects relating to Kabuki and other related fields, in particular actors. If anyone knows of good sources for biographies of playwrights I would be very interested. .. (序破急)
- Expanding on coverage of pre-modern Ryūkyū.
Notes to Self and Useful Links
- Wikipedia:Japanese Wikipedians' notice board, Wikipedia:WikiProject Leaders by year
- Wikimedia Commons
- Edit or create Kojiro Tomita, Suminokura family (shuinsen merchants)
- Azana (Ryukyu) (字, administrative division), Mōashibi (ja:毛遊び), "Daimotsu Bay", Seiichi Iwao, Yoneo Ishii, Kōrokan, Clifton Karhu
- Look into more on 「磯異人館」(Isoijinkan), a 1969 play taking place in Bakumatsu Satsuma.
- Kabuki21.com is a great site for everything on Kabuki.
- Kamakura-Burabura.com Kamakura Meishō; other great info on here on historical events and people
- lists of stub samurai
- Kabukimono is in desperate need of improvement and sources.
- Shibusashirazu Orchestraのja:関根真理；そして、ja:河北麻友子, ja:2700 (お笑いコンビ)
- Please see User:LordAmeth/Articles for a list of articles I have created or to which I have significantly contributed.
- User:LordAmeth/Sources is a somewhat outdated list of the books I own, and articles I have cited, for my contributions to Wikipedia.