Some new articles I have contributed:
- John Fewster
- Edinburgh College Students' Association
- Edinburgh College
- St Cecilia's Hall
- University of Edinburgh School of Social and Political Sciences
- University of Edinburgh School of Health in Social Science
- University of Edinburgh School of Physics and Astronomy
- Edinburgh University Socialist Society
- National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts
- Peter McColl
- Students for Cooperation
- Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative
- Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative
Articles I have significantly contributed to/regularly maintain
I currently work as Network Coordinator for Students for Cooperation, a federation of student co-operatives that I helped found. The organisation exists to support students across the UK to establish co-operative businesses to provide affordable, sustainable and democratically-run services to students. The Guardian recently published a good overview of SfC and the emerging student and ‘youth’ co-operative movement.
I was studying towards an undergraduate degree in Mathematical Physics at the University of Edinburgh before withdrawing due to ill health. I intend to complete my degree in the not-too-distant future!
In Edinburgh I co-founded Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative, the UK’s largest student-run housing project – providing affordable housing to its 106 members. This has received national news coverage throughout its inception:
- New housing co-op launched at Edinburgh University (The Journal)
- Tired of your landlord? A student cooperative could be the answer (The Guardian)
- UK’s first student housing co-operative is opening its doors (STV News)
Whilst a student I was active in the students’ union, Edinburgh University Students’ Association, as an elected officer and trustee, providing governance oversight for the organisation’s financial and legal well-being, and strategic direction through a very difficult period for the organisation. This has also seen me involved in UK-wide campaigning to defend public education.
Some of my interests include alternative economies, socialism, pedagogy, model railways, graphic design and bunting!