All free media should be at Commons. This is more easily said than done.
- The white area : Obviously free files with proper source, permission etc should be properly moved to Commons.
- The black area : The obvious non-free files should either be marked as fair use or nominated for deletion.
- The gray area : Is going to suck in all of our time (Pareto principle)
Two approaches working side by side:
- Work on old files:
- Do cherry picking (by uploader, by category, etc) to quickly and properly transfer lots of free files
- Hunt down obvious unfree files (for example User:MGA73/No license)
- Leave the questionable files be for the moment, these will seriously slow down the whole process
- Work on new files:
- First get of the obvious unfree files
- Properly transfer the obvious free files
- Check the remaining files
A lot of uploaders already started uploading to Commons instead of uploading to their local Wikipedia's. Are you one of them?
If you want to know more about me, check out my Userpage at Commons.