I have formal education in economics, engineering, organizational behavior, software engineering, information technology and management, and hold degrees in the first two. I have made my living in technology product development for many years, and I also teach an occasional economics course at a small liberal arts college. I currently live in the western region of the United States.
About making Wikipedia a better encyclopedia
This I believe...
- "I really want to encourage a much stronger culture which says: it is better to have no information, than to have information like this, with no sources. Any editor who removes such things, and refuses to allow it back without an actual and appropriate source, should be the recipient of a barnstar."
- --Jimbo Wales, July 19, 2006
Areas of interest
- the emergence of spontaneous order in the social system, particularly as (often unintentionally) occasioned by advances in technology
- economics, especially bottom-up self-organization of humans in a complex adaptive system. While economics is a popular discipline in the academy today, the bottom-up spontaneous order perspective is under-studied and under-theorized. The "professionals" of the field often serve as paid priests of whatever group pays their salary.
- political theory and political science; but NOT politics!
- human innovation
- institutions and institutionalized "rules of the game," informal and formal, that affect the type of social order that may emerge in any particular polity
- the interesting intersection of economics, philosophy and politics. This is a small area well outside the mainstream of each of the three disciplines as they exist today in academia, and is generally understudied and undertheorized.
- psychological effects manifesting in human behavior in the financial markets
- all things energy, especially dynamic change that becomes possible in energy technology and energy markets when relatively free markets and liberal regulatory environments exist. I have a side interest in alternative energy with personal experience in electric vehicle and passive solar building design and construction.
- private space ventures -- recent new competition for the national-monopoly governmental space initiatives of the early decades of the space age
- software, hardware, and embedded system technology development
- software engineering -- the process of mutual and concatenate coordination of human efforts to design and build software that is on-time, on-budget and meets the customer requirement.
- next-generation communication technology that will help facilitate the (currently unknown, and humanly unknowable) order that will emerge in the coming years.
- the emergence of lay medical understanding in complex and rapidly changing medical disciplines. For example, the expansion of knowledge among non-medical professionals, typically parents and friends of affected children, about pleiotropic genetic disorders, both genetic syndromes and genetic diseases.
What I've been up to
What Wikipedia readers and editors have been up to
- For Wikipedia article traffic statistics, see stats.grok.se.
- For article editing statistics, see
Pending or current Wikipedia projects
- Improve Wikipedia coverage of the emerging NewSpace (alt.space) aspect of spaceflight: competition for the national-monopoly governmental space initiatives of the early decades of the space age.
- Get Jean-Jacques Burlamaqui a bit better placed on the Wikipedia map. Further extend the limited view that came entirely from a copy of the 1911 Encyclopedia Brittanica with nothing reflecting recent scholarship on his role in constitutional theory and impact on the American founders.
- Endeavor to help improve Wikipedia citations by relentlessly tagging for Cleanup articles I happen upon.
- Get an article up on the Emergency Building Temperature Restrictions which were promulgated late in the Carter Administration in July of 1979. This is an important chapter in US political history, and is an excellent example of the severe limitation of top-down hierarchical programs in a complex adaptive economy. It should not be missing from the Wikipedia archive as it is now.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ N2e, March 2010
- WP:UTM - user talk messages, i.e., warnings
- Article improvement templates: cleanups, Template:refimprove, Template:unreferenced, Template:Verifiability and sources
- Help:IPA for English - IPA codes for English words, Template:pron-en - template for English IPA
- More here, on an N2e subpage