|This is a Wikipedia user page.
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user to whom this page belongs may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at
Hello, my name is David. I chose this account name merely because I appreciate owl monkeys.
My expertise is in software engineering, usability and interaction design. I'm a meditation instructor and amateur scholar connected with two Tibetan Buddhist lineages. I have a handful of publications writing for professional journals, but my copyediting and writing is modest.
- various vandalism corrections, link spam, and tyops. weighing in occasionally on WP:VILLAGE proposals
- created the articles torma, shedra, The Dhamma Brothers, Prison contemplative programs, Prison Dharma Network, Gangshar Wangpo, and Mariana Klaveno.
- philosophy topics such as Madhyamaka, Prasaṅgika, Svatantrika, Pramana, and their proponents such as Śāntarakṣita and Gorampa
- spirituality topics like Shambhala Training, rumspringa, self-realization, non-dualism, Karmapa controversy and others
- various people like Chuck Greenberg, Christian Brando, Richard Rose, Curtis Sliwa, Philip Taylor Kramer, Joseph Chilton Pearce, Mordechai Gafni and Steve Cooley
- other interests like Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument, Ransom Everglades, Sebastopol Goose, Guardian Angels, Allegations of serfdom in Tibet and Mac OS
Personal To Do List
- Add additional history and content to Vajrayogini article, including the photo I have of a rupa 
- Timeline of Buddhist philosophy that goes with Buddhist philosophy and is in accord with History of Buddhism which includes both the major figures and their related tenet systems and links back to the related topics.
- An infobox for the bottom of the Svatantrika and related Tibetan Buddhist philosophy terms and so called schools that tie them all together. Also including articles like Reality in Buddhism. Perhaps it would add a Buddhist Philosophy category or theme as well?
- Wang (Tibetan Buddhism) needs some work as does
- Lung (Tibetan Buddhism)
- Interaction Design - I have to offer that the interaction design and usability pages are a mess. There's no root page that discusses the various disciplines in a coherent way, instead the current pages all discuss usability research and design to a certain degree and then cross link to other pages. It may be hard to find concord with the various opinions on this but I would really like to collaborate with other editors in an effort to clean up the current mess of related usability pages. Oh the irony that usability is an unclear topic here.
- collection citations for a Mariana Klaveno article: e.g. 
Possible New Pages
- pages about the various notable organizations that lead Prison contemplative programs or perhaps one article about the different groups, especially the Christian centering and Buddhist meditation programs I'm interested in.
- Bondage_a_Go-Go - the long running gothic nightclub in san francisco
- Spacial Distribution Modeling - I don't think there is a specific page that describes this method of modeling in biology yet. I need to research this more. It is quite related to these pages: Occupancy-abundance_relationship or Scaling_pattern_of_occupancy but those both use this kind of modeling and it might deserve it's own page and reference from those.
- Yeshe - also amazing this page doesn't exist. But would need to be integrated well with Jnana and the Hindu usage
- Khenchen - it's Khenpo++, or just expand Khenpo and link to that!
- Vidyadhara would be fun to fill out, those crazy guys
- Mirra the disambiguation page and Mirra chairs, Mirra personal server, and Dave Mirra
Notable People - those that I've met at one time or another, the closest i've gotten to notability myself. Also this list is for disclosure so it is clear if I have a real world relationship with someone:
- had dinner with Craig Venter, John Lasseter and David Pescovitz. during a meeting at Apple, Steve Jobs stepped on my foot; he didn't apologize.
- friends with Danah Boyd, Scott Draves, Tara Slone, Michael Doucet, Robert J. Mical, Zoë Keating, Mackenzie Firgens and probably more folks that I don't realize have articles
- Hal Abelson was my advisor in college and I studied with Gian-Carlo Rota, Carl Hewitt, F. Thomson Leighton, Charles E. Leiserson, and Gerald Jay Sussman among others. I went to high school with Carlos Watson, Eugene Williams, Jr., Nicholas Winset and was in the high school jazz band with Mike Malinin. Post-graduate I studied some with Doug Engelbart and Ronald A. Howard. Had a meeting with Pattie Maes while representing Apple.
- i worked with Chris Espinosa, Darin Adler, Ron Avitzur, Tantek Çelik, Scott Forstall, Bertrand Serlet, Keith Stattenfield, Larry Yaeger and probably others.
- i studied Japanese with William Scott Wilson who was teaching at the time at my school.
- i have studied buddhism with Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche, Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche, Ani Pema Chödrön, Acharya Judith Simmer-Brown, Jack Kornfield, Noah Levine and others.
- chatted with Cheri Huber on the phone, Brian Behlendorf in person, and maybe more.
- shook hands with Harry Chapin, Robin Williams, Richard Hatch and Bill Cosby.
The following are some Buddhism and Philosophy related articles that could use help, both for my own reference and in case you're inspired to help:
[Newly added ]
[Editing / ]
[Missing articles ]
- Optimism should have a separate page that focuses on the philosophical idea of optimism and distinguishes the philosophical view from "positive thinking" and other everyday uses of the word.
- Philosophy of social science, has some okay points but requires elaboration on Wittgenstein and Winch, perhaps other linguistic critiques, whether logical positivist or postmodernist.
- Exchange value needs to be redone, it shouldn't be under 'Marxist theory'- although it's an important component of Marxist theory it's also vital for all economics. That said the articles weight on Marx is also absurd.
- German Idealism and the articles related to it may need to be rewritten or expanded to avoid undue weight on Arthur Schopenhauer.
- Protected values first section confuses right action and values and needs a copy edit, moving and wikifying
- Quality (philosophy) needs a more clear explanation.
- Socratic dialogues could do with some tidying and clarification. See the talk page for one suggested change.
- Problem of universals: The introductory definition is (perhaps) fixed. But, the article is poor. Check out the German version.
- Teleology: the article is shallow and inconsistent.
- Existentialism: the quality of this article varies wildly and is in desperate need of expert attention.
- Analytic philosophy This is a very major topic, but still has several sections which are stubs, and several topics which are not covered.
- Lifeworld A philosophical concept that seems to have fallen exclusively into the hands of the sociologists. Could use some attention; it's a major and complex issue in phenomenology.
- Amorality This page needs great attention as it is currently totally uninformative and, in my opinion, risks more to confuse readers than inform them, as most people will come here with no knowledge of amoralism and worse, often with huge bias against it.
- Perception Needs the attention of philosophically minded Wikipedians. This is only the start of an overhaul of perception and related articles.