|Slogan||No tracking, just search|
|Type of site||Web search engine|
Mojeek was first launched in 2003 as a non-commercial, personal project of its founder and sole developer. In 2009, Mojeek was officially incorporated as a limited company and began the process of moving from a personal project to viable business, although still retaining its philosophy of no user tracking.
In November of 2005, Mojeek launched one of the first personal search services (later to become known as custom search). This allowed users to create their own topical or personal search index and to remove unwanted sites from its standard web results. In September of 2006, Mojeek added to the personal search with the release of personalised results. This allowed users to more closely match the design of their website, rather than being limited to the Mojeek user interface.
In January of 2011, Mojeek was mentioned in a parliamentary debate over, "allegations of manipulation of [Google's] search results, particularly the unfavourable treatment of its unpaid and sponsored results, and the preferential placement of [their] own services."
In November of 2011, a new version of Mojeek was announced after being rewritten entirely from scratch in the C (programming language). Mojeek expanded operations with additional servers and a major upgrade of all software/algorithms. This included an increased index size, refresh rate, relevancy and search response for the search engine. The new version of Mojeek was launched the following February.
As of March 2012, Mojeek claims to be the largest crawler based search engine to originate from the United Kingdom.
After raising the second investment, Mojeek started the process of building a team and establishing a presence in London to foster growth.
- "About Page". May, 2009. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "Second Investment". April, 2013. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "Mojeek launches Personal Search". February, 2006. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "Customized Search". September, 2006. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "Mojeek mentioned in Parliamentary debate". January, 2011. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "New Version of Mojeek". September, 2011. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "New Engine Press Release". February, 2012. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "Mojeek News". March, 2012. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- "Mobile version of website". March, 2012. Retrieved October 16, 2013.