Quotes I like:
I'm Rosie, a content admin who has served as an Online Ambassador and a host at the Teahouse as I believe in the power of mentoring, both here on wikipedia and IRL. While I am well traveled, mostly I split my time between homes in Northern California and Southern Nevada. What else? I collect old books and I'm a sometime painter. There's probably a cup of coffee within arm's reach and a cat close by.
My first edits created the article Book League of America; WikiProject Anthroponomy was my first wikiproject. I'm a cultural anthropologist at heart so the intersection of people, places, history, culture, ethnography, and language interests me. I worry that something notable will be lost to mankind if we don't create an article on its behalf. That probably makes me an Inclusionist but I resist the label. So the bibliophile in me mines for hidden "gems" (people, places, things) in old books and creates articles to bring these topics to light.
The Wikimedia blogpost about me.
Concerns about wikipedia
I am concerned about:
- Gender imbalance: Gender gap statistics vary --(13%, according to this article). Few women are building this encyclopedia, and we, as a community, are not doing enough to increase the participation of women. Some recent developments, such as the February 2014 international ArtAndFeminism Meetup and an interview-based study about women+Wikipedia by User:Mssemantics, are encouraging. Quite a bit has been written about this recognized problem, but gender imbalance persists. What can I do; what can you do? Encourage women to edit, to have a voice, and to spread the word with other women. Write articles about notable women and expand existing articles. Don't shirk; be heard. Until women become equal partners in the building of this encyclopedia, it'll represent a skewed worldview.
- Systemic bias: With only about 3,000 "very active Wikipedians", how can we counter systemic bias? One idea is to translate every reliably sourced article from every language wikipedia into every other language's wikipedia. Machine translation has a long way to go before its results are acceptable in creating an article for an encyclopedia. Having a degree of proficiency in French, Spanish, and maybe one or two other languages, an ongoing project of mine (and others) includes translation work from a foreign language wikipedias into English language articles.
- Retaining editors: A number of good editors have left wikipedia, or curtailed their editing, because their conduct, motives or character were attacked. And the departures will continue unless we change as a community. Kindness, people! You'll find that I assume good faith in everyone, and I hope you do, too, as, after all, we are volunteers.
Did You Know?
On September 19, 2007, I created an article on Kallawaya people. Another editor noticed it, nominated it at DYK, and a few days later, it appeared in the DYK section of the Main Page; it was my first DYK "credit". On September 18, 2013, my 1,000th contribution to DYK, Goaribari Island, appeared on the Main Page making me the third person --and first woman-- to reach this milestone. Here's what I had to say about that article on its DYK nomination page:
- Some of you know that I am a cultural anthropologist at heart. I wanted to follow in the footsteps of Margaret Mead and study cultural anthropology at Barnard (my mom's alma mater), like Margaret did. I wanted to travel to Papua New Guinea and do research on its people, like Margaret did. But my dad said 'no' to majoring in anthropology -- he wanted something more practical for my university studies. So now, years later, I get to live the life of an armchair cultural anthropologist, writing articles about Goaribari Island and its cannibals. To all the girls out there with impractical dreams, this article is dedicated to you.
- GAN reviews
- Wappocomo (Romney, West Virginia)
- Crystal Palace Dinosaurs
- Enterprise (NX-01)
- Paris Exposition, 1900 (film series)
- Dunrobin Castle
- Sunder Lal
- Drama dari Krakatau
- College of All Saints, Maidstone
- Bishop's Palace, Wells
- K-368 (Kansas highway)
- Dewey Decimal Classification
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Ma Chengyuan
- Sibyl Hathaway
- Louise Bryant
- Current GA projects
At a glance
- New articles created: 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014
- Alternate account: Rosiestep2
I was in San Francisco on June 4, 2007 when I made my first edit. Here's what sparked it. I wonder where others were when they made their first edit and what inspired them.