If in doubt, leave it out.
Consensus before contentious.
Science before stupid.—Simon Jessey
I was born in Rochford, Essex, the son of Michael and Brenda Jessey (née Chorley) and spent most of my childhood in Ashtead, Surrey. Between 1988 and 2001, I worked as a videotape editor for a Wandsworth-based corporate video production company. Following an internet romance, I met and married an American web developer. I have been a part-time college instructor, web designer and something of a web standards evangelist.
Politics and religion
I am socially progressive, but fiscally somewhat conservative. From the liberal perspective I am pro-choice (although I'd rather see abortion avoided, of course), a secularist, and I believe strongly in free speech; however, I advocate minimizing the tax burden and reducing state intervention. Although I am generally in favor of small government, I believe there are some social support structures that are absolutely necessary and must not be compromised for the sake of low taxes (health care, education, social security, etc.). I would like to see a single-payer healthcare system in America. I dislike government corruption, lobbying and any kind of pork barrel politics. Most people would categorize me as an atheist because as I regard the concept of a god or gods to be ridiculous. I think that religion (particularly "organized" religion) does more harm than good, and should be actively discouraged.
On Wikipedia and Bias
Yes, I am biased. I have an opinion on a great many things, even stuff I don't know much about. Mostly, I express my opinion on Twitter, or on my blog (example). Often, I let my biases spill forth on the odd article talk page. But when I'm editing Wikipedia articles, I stick rigidly to the policies and guidelines of the project.
- Countries lived in (2)
- England, The United States of America
- Places lived in (8)
- Ashtead, Earlsfield, Fetcham, Malvern, Sadsburyville, South Benfleet, Swarthmore, Tooting
- Countries visited (10)
- Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, England, France, Germany, Malta, Spain, United States of America, Wales
- U.S. States visited (14½)
- Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C. (the ½), West Virginia
- Aircraft ridden (8)
- Airbus A330, Bell 206L, Boeing 737, Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 Dreamliner, de Havilland Dragon Rapide, Eurocopter AS355
- Vehicles owned (4)
- Ford Edge, Ford Focus, Ford Sierra, Kawasaki KMX 125
- I share a birthday with Michelangelo, Cyrano de Bergerac, Lou Costello, Ed McMahon, Alan Greenspan, Gordon Cooper, Hal Needham, John Noakes, Kiri Te Kanawa, David Gilmour, Rob Reiner, D. L. Hughley, Alan Davies, Connie Britton, and Shaquille O'Neal.
- I share a birthplace with Dean Macey, Will Stevens, Amanda Tapping and Tony Way.
- On the day of my birth, Mungo Jerry's Baby Jump was the UK's number one single, but had nothing to do with babies. Number one in the US was One Bad Apple by The Osmonds.