|This user account is a bot operated by Staecker (talk). It is a legitimate alternative account, used to make repetitive automated or semi-automated edits that would be extremely tedious to do manually. The bot is currently inactive but retains the approval of the community.
Administrators: if this bot is malfunctioning or causing harm, please block it.
This bot's main function will be to place speedy-delete tags on duplicate image uploads.
See my request for approval, concluded April 8, 2007.
The bot runs every 15 minutes and scans Special:Newimages. At the first pass, the bot just checks for uploads with identical filesizes. Any files with identical sizes have their thumbnails downloaded and compared directly (using PIL).
- If the thumbnails are identical and the description page has no previous file history, then:
- If the file descriptions differ, each description is copied into the duplicate page using User:Staeckerbot/Duplicate-file-info as a template.
- If exactly one of the versions is orphaned, then that version will be nominated for deletion using Template:Db-redundantimage. The uploader is given a copy of User:Staeckerbot/dupewarning.
- If both versions are orphaned, then the one which was uploaded first will be nominated for deletion using Template:Db-redundantimage. The uploader is given a copy of User:Staeckerbot/dupewarning.
- If neither version is orphaned, then neither image will be nominated for deletion, but both will be tagged with Template:Duplicate
- If the thumbnails differ or the description page has a file fistory, then the images are logged to User:Staeckerbot/Suspicious images, to be handled by a human editor. I have found that most such cases do represent duplicate images, perhaps with different metadata or other differences invisible to the eye.
There are a few minor issues that I don't really have the time to work out: see User:Staeckerbot/Known bugs.
I welcome any comments or suggestions you have on improving the bot- Staecker
- User:Staeckerbot/Suspicious images Images which were uploaded closely together and have the same file size, but differ as binary files. Many of these may be duplicate images, but need to be checked by hand.
Older (inactive) logs
- User:Staeckerbot/Trial log (Mar 17 - Apr 8, 2007) A log from my trial period, recording each edit (they get deleted from Special:Contributions/Staeckerbot)
- User:Staeckerbot/Preapproval log (Feb 14 - Mar 13, 2007) A log from before my approval to edit- about 1000 recorded dupes, not marked for deletion by the bot
The bot has been running since March 17, 2007.
|Days in operation||422|
|Images nominated for deletion||16748|
|Megabytes nominated for deletion||3852|
|Average nominations per day||39|
as of 04:00, 12 May 2008 (UTC)