Here are my affiliations for anyone worried about neutrality.
- Software engineer, thinks testing is essential.
- Apache Software Foundation member (unpaid)
- Apache Ant developer, indirect income via the Ant in Action book.
- Active on Hadoop.
- Former Apache Axis Developer (unpaid)
- Former participant in Grid-related standards based on WS-ResourceFramework
I have a lot of experience in Web Services, WS-*, SOAP, standardisation of the aforesaid things, and am firmly in the REST camp, primarily through disillusion with the fundamental problems of SOAP. That is WSDL as an usable language for reading or writing by humans, that trying to seamlessly map between XML and native language objects is wrong, and that SOAP-over-HTTP as the worst of both worlds in terms of transport.