- WP:SOURCE (WP:Attribution)
- WP:CITE sources
- WP:AUW, WP:DATE and WP:CONTEXT: stop overlinking!
- This guideline recalls that there are three ways to cite sources. I do not like Citation templates, as they make very complex edit pages and are more bother than anything else. You can achieve exactly the same result without taking so much place on the edit page. In particular, they are not appropriate to face link rot. I hate the practice of deleting a newspaper source because the link doesn't work any more. You can't delete past history: the article still exists, and the link should be removed without deleting the source.
- Wikipedia:Guide to writing better articles#Provide context for the reader. Necessary, and all too often forgotten. Think that an alien is going to read this or that article.
- WP:TRITE: Use clear, concise sentences. We are not writing a novel.
- Wikipedia:Only make links that are relevant to the context It is tiring to see all country names wikilinked ten times, when you perfectly know that 0,0001% of the reader is going to click on, say, the United States. If you really need to look information on the US, you surely can Google "United States" up and find the relevant Wiki page.
- Joko Widodo is elected President of Indonesia following a close race.
- In golf, Rory McIlroy (pictured) wins the Open Championship.
- Militants attack a checkpoint in Egypt's western desert region, killing 22 soldiers.
- The Cook Islands Party retains its majority in the Cook Islands general election.
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, is shot down in eastern Ukraine, killing all 298 people on board.
- Israel launches a ground invasion of the Gaza Strip.
- Militants attack two checkpoints in the Chaambi Mountains, Tunisia, killing fourteen soldiers.
- Typhoon Rammasun causes at least 94 deaths in the Philippines and at least 18 in China.
- January 27: Tunisia approves new constitution
- January 26: Ukrainian opposition rejects power-sharing deal
- January 22: Canadian Prime Minister in first Middle East visit: Canadian assistance to Palestinian Authority
- January 17: Australia announces plans to close five mainland refugee detention centres
- January 13: Indonesian authorities report refugee boats pushed back by Australian Navy
- January 11: Nauru raises media visa application fee from AU$200 to $8,000
- January 11: Ariel Sharon, former Prime Minister of Israel, dies at 85
- January 2: Israel releases 26 Palestinian prisoners
- December 26: Palestinian released from Israeli prison following eight-month hunger strike
- December 25: Alan Turing given posthumous pardon
Other current events:
|16 July 2014|
"The phenomenal but unreliable online encyclopedia is best used with a healthy dose of scepticism", correctly stated The Times of London on July 21, 2006. But again, reading The Times of London as the New York Times is also done with a "healthy dose of scepticism". Thus, the importance of sources...
So, healthy dose of scepticism, as always should we add, and also, when you find something really interesting, be sure to make a permanent link (as done immediately above) or even copy it into your personal files. And, more important than anything else, be sure to check Reliable sources, and Cite sources, as well as Wikipedia:Footnotes on how to set them up. Post a message here (I will adress content dispute on the relevant talk pages, but you might want to let me know by leaving me a post if you're in a hurry for the answer).