User:Toll Booth Willie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from User:Wiki Wistah)
- Willie joined Wikipedia in 2006, though he spent several years on Wikibreak, partly out of disillusionment with the project but mostly because of a hectic work schedule. He got better, but who knows when Wikibreak will strike again.
- Willie has started more than 170 pages on English Wikipedia, plus about a dozen navbox templates and eight userboxes.
- Willie used to keep a list of pages he'd started or edited heavily on his user page. It got long. Now it's on a separate page.
- Willie's proudest achievement on Wikipedia is never having created a "Trivia" or "In popular culture" section. You're welcome.
- Willie believes that the point of being an editor on Wikipedia is to create an encyclopedia. Bureaucracy and conflict may at times be necessary to achieve this end but they must always be seen as secondary to research, writing and editing.
- Willie consequently despairs at the amount of time he has spent working on his userpage, but vanity, Willie is thy name, and he enjoys talking about himself in the third person.
- Willie's main editing interests are:
- Willie enjoys finding citations of items of local interest in the electronic databases of local (Boston-Worcester-Springfield-Pittsfield) newspapers. Have a fact from the past 30 years in Massachusetts that you need verified? Let Willie know!
- Willie is, in fact, the original editor of the Toll Booth Willie article. He regrets not having more verifiable sources. He also regrets gettin' outta da BOOTH!
- Willie can say "Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg" (whether you want him to or not) and thinks it's criminal that Wikipedia doesn't use the full name in its article title.
- Willie tries to keep circulation figures current in the infoboxes of major daily newspapers of New England, Canada and Spain. You can help! Most American and several Canadian major daily newspapers are audited by the Audit Bureau of Circulations, which has reports accessible for free at www.accessabc.com/products/freereports.htm. Most other major Canadian papers are audited by Canadian Circulations Audit Board, a division of BPA, which publishes its reports at Circulation Report www.bpaww.com/Bpaww_com/Pages/CirculationReports.aspx Circulation Report (free registration required).
- Willie wrote a proposal, once upon a time, for a standard style guide (a la WP:MOS) and notability guideline (a la WP:NOTE) for Wikipedia articles about newspapers. Give your thoughts at WP:NART.
- Willie has translated articles from the Spanish Wikipedia about politicians, futbol teams and newspapers. It's a project to which he may return someday. He keeps an eye out for vandalism on articles about the Spanish Civil War.
- Willie occasionally contributes to articles of Caribbean interest. He likes it there.
- Willie thinks the United States is #1, but Canada is definitely #1-eh.