Hi, I've been editing Wikipedia since 2004-03-18.
NOTE: if you are sending me a message about an external link I removed, please read my page about external links first.
Leaving a message on my talk page is the preferred way of contacting me about Wikipedia.
I think Wikipedia is interesting due to the following dichotomy:
- it's a free and open collaboration of people around the world, and nothing like it has existed before; but
- it's just a website, and the contents of any particular page or the contributions of any one person are unimportant.
I see spam as a greater long-term threat to Wikipedia than vandalism. Vandalism is usually motivated by a desire for amusement or attention, and in most cases it is readily recognized. By contrast, spammers have a direct financial interest in developing more sophisticated methods of self-promotion, and I expect that they will become more organized and harder to detect over time.
Here are few miscellaneous links:
- a list of spammed external links (help is welcome)
- a tool for making spelling corrections
- a list of pages that link to redirects in Category:Redirects from misspellings
- my page on the Toolserver: http://tools.wikimedia.de/~wmahan/
- barnstars that people have given me
- my obligatory boring website. There's not anything notable there yet.
This is my Wikipedia user page. If you are reading this on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site that I am not affiliated with in any way.