|Slogan||feedback & online help desk software|
|Type of site||Customer support|
|Owner||Richard White (CEO), Lance Ivy (CTO), Marcus Nelson (CMO), Scott Rutherford (COO)|
In 2006, White was the lead designer for Kiko.com, an online calendar startup. After the product's launch, White realized he needed a more efficient way to monitor feedback, and created a new type of online forum where users could provide ideas. His method was inspired by an article from Joel Spolsky which advocated giving programmers a finite number of votes to prioritize software development. White wanted users to vote up the best customer feedback ideas with a set amount of votes for each user.
White, Ivy, and Nelson raised a small amount of money from friends and family and launched UserVoice in February 2008. Ivy then left and Scott Rutherford joined White and Nelson in October 2008 to complete the founding team. The site spread primarily through word of mouth, and by January 2009, had signed up 5,000 accounts. One of their earliest accounts was Stack Overflow, run by Joel Spolsky, their early inspiration.
In December 2010, the company launched iPhone and Facebook apps, allowing users to build a UserVoice community and collect feedback for mobile apps. By September 2011, the firm had 13 employees and 74,000 clients with an additional 23 million people voting or leaving suggestions with the tool.
UserVoice Feedback is a tool for collecting and prioritize feedback from customers. Customers post issues or suggestions, and others vote the feedback up or down. There are set limits on the number of votes that users can allocate, which helps people focus on the essential. The program has various subscription plans, including a free starter plan.
UserVoice Helpdesk is a support tool which allows companies to track and respond to customer issues. Customers can thank the support person who responds to their ticket by giving them "kudos." By employing gamification techniques, UserVoice believes that customers receive higher quality responses because the support teams are motivated by the game-like atmosphere. Help teams work within a system that features a tracking dashboard, which tracks each person's kudos so the team’s performance can be evaluated in real-time. the program also offers "Instant Answers," which allows customers to see other relevant answers as they write their question. The program has several subscription plans, ranging from free upwards.
UserVoice Full Service
UserVoice Full Service combines both the UserVoice Feedback and UserVoice Helpdesk into one integrated product. UserVoice Full Service has several subscription plans, ranging from free to $25/month to $125/month.
UserVoice was recognized as one of Lead411’s “Hottest Companies In San Francisco” in 2010. UserVoice has been featured in The New York Times, TechCrunch, The Boston Globe, GigaOM, VentureBeat, and Mashable.
- Ha, Anthony. UserVoice Aims Beyond User Feedback NYTimes. May 5, 2011.
- How you build innovation Boston Globe. May 22, 2011.
- Finley, Klint. 3 Trends in Idea Management ReadWriteWeb. September 1, 2010.
- Empson, Rip. Uservoice, Which Powers Customer Engagement Tools for Meebo, Hootsuite & More, Raises 1 Million TechCrunch. November 18, 2011.
- Atwood, Jeff. Podcast #30. Stack Overflow. November 19, 2008.
- Making You Money By Helping You Delight Your Customers Shoestring Venture. April 27, 2011.
- Hopkins, Mark. UserVoice is My[Company]Idea Mashable. August 5, 2008.
- Kirkpatrick, Marshall. Why We Love UserVoice ReadWriteWeb. December 5, 2008.
- EPISODE 5... Interview with UserVoice Co-founder, Scott Rutherford. StartupMarketing.TV. September 23, 2010.
- Ricketts, Camille. UserVoice raises 800K for customer feedback systems VentureBeat. May 18, 2009.
- Wauters, Robin. UserVoice Raises Funding, White Labels User Feedback Facilitator TechCrunch. May 18, 2009.
- Kincaid, Jason. UserVoice Brings Its Customer Feedback Service to Facebook Pages TechCrunch. December 13, 2010.
- Finley, Klint. API of the Week: UserVoice API ReadWriteWeb. December 6, 2010.
- Wauters, Robin. Uservoice Drops Beta Tag, Lets You Capture User Feedback TechCrunch. December 4, 2008.
- Aamoth, Doug. UserVoice Offers A Better Way To Take Customer Suggestions TechCrunch. April 20, 2008.
- Catone, Josh. 9 Web Apps for Gathering Customer Feedback Mashable. March 6, 2011.
- Reisinger, Don. 10 Ingenious Tools from Google Apps Marketplace eWeek. March 12, 2010.
- Black, Leyl. Four Simple Ways To Get Customer Feedback Mashable. June 28, 2011.
- Ahmed-Taylor, Ty. Product management on a shoestring VentureBeat. July 29, 2009.
- Finley, Klint. Can UserVoice Do What Fish! Can’t and Make Customer Service Fun ReadWriteWeb. March 2, 2011.
- Prestepino, Peter. UserVoice is Full Service-Kudos WebsiteMagazine. March 1, 2011.
- Carlson, Lauren. Gamification: The Key to Preventing Support Agent Burnout Software Advice.
- Hottest Companies In San Francisco Awards Lead411. May 18, 2010.
- Carta, Doriano. 5 Ways To Get Customer Feedback For Free GigaOM. February 26, 2010.
- Dybwad, Barb. [mashable.com/2009/10/26/socia-media-entrepreneurs/ 10 of the Best Social Media Tools for Entrpreneurs] Mashable. October 26, 2009.