Alex ShihTalk 18:22, 22 February 2010 (UTC)
||This user is busy in real life and may not respond swiftly to queries.
Just wanted to extend my thanks for commenting on my old editor review request. I had fairly well forgotten about my Wikipedia editing days until I got the email notification that you had edited my Talk Page. Now I have something to do in my off time at work. And yes I am fairly absent at the moment due to career and other goals. Thanks again. Judicatus | Talk 19:24, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
Northamerica1000(talk) 00:27, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
You blocked this user for only 24 hours? He/she is a clear vandalism-only account. Insulam Simia (talk) 07:09, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
You have miscklicked on the block length for 126.96.36.199 (talk · contribs). Cheers. Materialscientist (talk) 08:11, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
You'll need to remove 188.8.131.52's Talk page privileges, as he's resorted to blanking all of his warnings. - Areaseven (talk) 12:20, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
- He just got himself blocked again for blanking my user page again. And, to no surprise, he blanked his Talk page again. - Areaseven (talk) 16:48, 4 August 2013 (UTC)
Golden Dragon Museum Deletion
You've deleted the Golden Dragon Museum entry. You did this because of my mistakes with this username. I did not know the Wikipedia policies at that stage and I made this account so that the experts at my organisation would be able to edit pages concerning the history or experiences of Chinese in Australia or Bendigo. I now see my mistake. I'll remove this user name and account but you shouldn't have deleted the page about this museum. The museum has had a Wikipedia page since 2008 and there is little difference between it and countless other museum/organisation pages out there? I am a rather confused as to why you would delete the entire page and not just edit it to meet what ever requirements you thought of. Goldendragonmuseum (talk) 11:15AM, 19 August 2013 (AEDT) —Preceding undated comment added 01:21, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
Prep area 1
You didn't add the DYK credits. SL93 (talk) 16:36, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
My secret to formatting an image description page is to run the page source through Special:ExpandTemplates (located in the "Data and tools" section of Special:SpecialPages) on Commons and then copying the expanded source into the image upload form. This allows for the uploaded file to conform with the formatting used on Commons and also avoids issues where a template on Commons does not have an matching template here on the English Wikipedia. --Allen3 talk 02:01, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
- Some other info that you may find useful:
- When preparing to perform a C-upload, you should check if the image has already protected by a Commons admin. Several regular DYK admins also have an admin bit on Commons and perform protections when they are available.
- There is a bot on Commons (KrinkleBot) that is supposed to protect images linked from either Main page or Main Page/Tomorrow. Unfortunately the bot is currently not performing as advertised. Those of us on the English Wikipedia currently have limited ability to correct the situation. See User talk:Shubinator#DYK image protection for the current discussion. (Shubinator is the bot operator for DYKUpdateBot and DYKHousekeepingBot)
- If you plan to stay active for any length of time I would recommend you watchlist User:DYKUpdateBot/Errors. When DYKUpdateBot detects a problem it logs details to this file. Problems that prevent the bot from running are kept in the file until resolved. For transient issues, the bot will clear the error text after about 10 minutes.
- --Allen3 talk 02:20, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
DYK support and promote
Alex, I've noticed twice now that you've both approved an DYK nomination and promoted it: Template:Did you know nominations/Victor Edelstein is the latest.
I thought I should let you know that this runs contrary to standard practice at DYK. The person who approves an article is not also supposed to promote it: this allows another pair of eyes to check the nomination to make sure everything is okay with it. (It's a similar logic to that which prevents a reviewer from approving a hook that he or she has just revised.) There are plenty of approved hooks available for selection such that it should not be necessary to promote your own approvals. Thanks. BlueMoonset (talk) 04:23, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
I am going to reverse your promotion of In a World.... The current opinion was that the date request should be honored. If there is a problem, we can pull it from the date request and run it later, unless you have a strong opinion that it must run now.--TonyTheTiger (T/C/WP:FOUR/WP:CHICAGO/WP:WAWARD) 06:41, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for taking care of it; I love a happy ending. I asked for an IP editor to be given co-credit, but I see now that the IP is probably very much a hopper, so there's little point, I guess, in picking one of them, and their edits are already a bit old so they likely have hopped over to another IP. Anyway, thanks again. Drmies (talk) 17:46, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
- Oh! Mandarax is to be given credit too for important cleanup and other work. Can you add him to the list? Drmies (talk) 17:50, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
Northamerica1000(talk) 14:17, 9 August 2013 (UTC)
Could you please add an English translation of your sources? It's obviously hard to see if they pass WP:RS without that if the reader can't read the names of the sources. Thanks. Dougweller (talk) 15:22, 10 August 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for nominating my article for DYK! Question: Can you see if this article is good for a featured article? John C. Ewers A lot of users had expanded it to the point that I rated it as A.--Mishae (talk) 15:18, 11 August 2013 (UTC)
- Another question: Did I rated it right, or it suppose to be a C or a B? Initially it was a Start but its now way above it.--Mishae (talk) 16:11, 11 August 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks again, feel free to go over my user page and/or contributions to see if you can find more articles for Did You Know?--Mishae (talk) 16:32, 11 August 2013 (UTC)
- What about those ones? Rockne Krebs and Gustav Rehberger is it a C or a B, or its above that? Also, this one looks like an A to me, but on the safe side I labeled it as B: Rudolph John Anderson. I do however believe that it is a contestant for a good article. Your thoughts?--Mishae (talk) 23:44, 11 August 2013 (UTC)
For what it's worth, I don't believe this user is a sockpuppet. When I first helped them they were editing under I.P addresses and didn't seem to have any previous experience. There are other issues with this editor, including the fact that they are still defending some of their previous practices which have been raised as breaches of wp policy, but I doubt they are a sockpuppet. Best wishes Flat Out let's discuss it 22:15, 13 August 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for your reply. You are in a better place to make the duck call, but I agree that there is now virtually no chance they can edit within guidelines and that a mentor is a waste of time. Flat Out let's discuss it 23:12, 14 August 2013 (UTC)
DYK for Doshisha Women's College of Liberal Arts
The DYK project (nominate) 00:33, 14 August 2013 (UTC)
DYK for Jingnan Campaign
Cas Liber (talk · contribs) 12:02, 15 August 2013 (UTC)
my user page
hi, why did you delete my user page??? Fryedk (talk) 22:11, 16 August 2013 (UTC)
I wish you'd asked me about this and your resulting edit at DYK. The entire point of the hook was that this was exactly its reputation, by almost all sources over many years, and fundamental to why it was of DYK interest. It wasn't "peacockry" at all.
Example cites in the article:
- "Reputation for functionality and usability"
- Company was supplying around 80% of the national market and exporting 40% of products
- By late 1980s "the industry's most significant supplier"
- Products described as "dominating" the decade or "the most famous [product] ever", used in world famous "first ascent" climbs, and covered on that basis by editorials in "authoritative" publications within the field
- Exceptional and widely spread recognition for repeated innovation of products that changed the market and became adopted worldwide and copied by others (first waterproof synthetic backpacks, first foam mat, first lightweight shock absorbent suede/fabric climbing footwear, first backpack with integrated hipbelt, all cited, all changed the market)
- Described as having a "tremendous tradition", a history that included "legendary" products, and a "very strong brand name"; by another source as having an "international reputation for outstanding [products]", in a 1996 review of top British manufacturers, by a major UK newspaper (The Independent) as "a leader in its... field", in awards as making an "outstanding contribution", in 1993 one of 15 winners in Management Today's "Best UK factory" and described by the publication as "world-renowned manufacturer" - by a variety of different publications and secondary/tertiary sources.
- Also described in other sources as "one of the leading European designers and distributors" in its field, "one of the few outdoor brands [with] a full product line" and "international brand recognition" and "the most extensive retail distribution of any European outdoor company" with products exported to 22 countries.
(I think, with no dissenting cites seen at all, these correctly suggest "formidable" reputation and "groundbreaking" products as an entirely accurate encyclopedic description)
If there was a question, couldn't you have let me know of the discussion here, so I could point out cites or locate the ones you felt missing, rather than water down the accuracy of the hook. FT2 (Talk | email) 06:59, 17 August 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you! - that was a fast response.
- May also be worth putting back "avid" [climber...] as well - I'm not sure what other word is better to describe someone who has completed 30 mountain marathons, and climbed on all 7 continents, including 18 peaks previously believed unclimbed in addition. (Also cited in article) FT2 (Talk | email) 07:48, 17 August 2013 (UTC)
It seems you mistakenly deleted Talk:Hold 'Em (Windows) and then only restored one of its revisions. Could you restore all of its revisions, and then delete Talk:Hold 'Em (Windows game) instead (per WP:G8)? Dogmaticeclectic (talk) 19:46, 18 August 2013 (UTC)
Re: DYK Bristol Packet Boat Trips
I notice that I have been credited with a DYK for Bristol Packet Boat Trips for today 19 August, but the hook does not appear to have made it into the queue and it hasn't appeared on the main page? Nom at Template:Did you know nominations/Bristol Packet Boat Trips Jezhotwells (talk) 08:27, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
- I take it all back, my stupidity. I dion't check the actual main page, just the queue!!!! Doh!! Jezhotwells (talk) 08:37, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
Please comment here. Thanks. georgianJORJADZE 00:12, 20 August 2013 (UTC)
Jamaica Bearings Group
Hello! I would like to talk with you about why you thought my page: Jamaica Bearings Group should be deleted. I put comments on my talk page and am doing so here as well, though I am not sure which is the correct way to talk with you. I look forward to your reply! SallyMahoney (talk) 13:54, 20 August 2013 (UTC)
Maintaining correct order of items in DYK prep areas
Please be more careful with how you perform promotions of DYK hook sets. The DYK Prep areas currently contain hooks from the Special occasion holding area. Scheduling of these hooks is time sensitive. Advancing the prep area counter two spots, as you did here, while only promoting one set of hooks from the prep area to the queues disrupts efforts to correctly schedule these hooks. I can tell you from long and bitter experience that there are few things on Wikipedia as infuriating as seeing your efforts to plan ahead and properly schedule a hook destroyed at the last moment by someone who was not paying attention. --Allen3 talk 20:40, 20 August 2013 (UTC)
Hello. This message is being sent to inform you that there is currently a discussion at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard regarding an issue with which you may have been involved. Thank you. Black Kite (talk) 14:21, 22 August 2013 (UTC)
DYK process proposals/discussion thread
Notifying you that I have posted at WT:DYK some ideas how we can avoid problems of the kind we just had, in future. Contribute if you can, and thanks :)
Link). FT2 (Talk | email) 15:43, 24 August 2013 (UTC)
Northamerica1000(talk) 21:04, 24 August 2013 (UTC)
That photo was not Nunan; it was his partner Brophy. You can't put a portrait picture in the lead box if it doesn't represent the subject of the article. Always a good idea to read the captions! Amandajm (talk) 00:53, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
Thank you for reaching out to me!
If you are interested in this idea, here is something Canada-related on the Chinese Wikipedia. I have some knowledge of Mandarin, so I started some short articles on Canadian school boards that serve large numbers of Chinese-speaking students. They are:
- British Columbia
If you are interested in expanding these articles, please let me know :) WhisperToMe (talk) 05:31, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
Also en:The Scarborough Hospital in Toronto serves the Chinese-Canadian community and has a website in Chinese, so I started a stub on it: zh:士嘉堡醫院 WhisperToMe (talk) 05:54, 27 August 2013 (UTC)
Sure thing. Likewise, feel free to drop me a note if you're in need of anything that I can assist with. --benlisquareT•C•E 06:00, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
My recent RfA
I should have said thanks for your support sooner. ```Buster Seven Talk 23:03, 26 August 2013 (UTC)
Hi, please can you move my DYK nom here back two prep areas, so that I can fix the issues raised? I can't do it at present as I am on holiday, and mobile editing. Thanks, Matty.007 08:49, 27 August 2013 (UTC)
- It's OK now, I have fixed it. Thanks, Matty.007 09:36, 29 August 2013 (UTC)
I notice you promoted Domenico Rancadore to the main page, even though the hook focuses on a negative aspect of a living individual. Please see Wikipedia:Main Page/Errors and Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons/Noticeboard. StAnselm (talk) 10:39, 29 August 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry for that, StAnselm. Matty.007 11:43, 29 August 2013 (UTC)
Requesting your input re the Wikipedia Astrology Project
I have joined the Wikipedia Astrology project today and am contacting you as a listed member of that project. There has been a proposal to consider the project dead and merge it with 12 other alternative subjects into a new wiki project which would oversee all aspects of fringe. I think it would be a shame to lose the astrology project on the basis that it has no active participants without contacting the members directly and exploring ideas for new ways to work together on astrology-related pages. It would be very useful if you would visit the discussion and let us know if your interest in the project is still active, or what it might take to rekindle it. Regards Tento2 (talk) 09:16, 13 September 2013 (UTC)
WikiProject Military history coordinator election
Greetings from WikiProject Military history! As a member of the project, you are invited to take part in our annual project coordinator election, which will determine our coordinators for the next twelve months. If you wish to cast a vote, please do so on the election page by 23:59 (UTC) on 28 September! Kirill [talk] 16:06, 16 September 2013 (UTC)
DYK for Yamamoto Yaeko
The DYK project (nominate) 16:03, 17 September 2013 (UTC)
You deleted this to make way for an uncontroversial page move, however it appears that move has not been conducted. I want to create a disambiguation page, but is there anything there that I should be aware of?--Launchballer 09:59, 13 October 2013 (UTC)
You are the one that I need!
Hi, my name is Mishae and I am currently wrote 3 articles related to Chinese and Japanese physicians. If you will have time, can you find verifiable sources for them in their native language since I couldn't find some in English (and I don't know any of the Asian languages): Fan Lu, Hideyuki Akaza and Seiji Naito? I'm bowing to you in advance.--Mishae (talk) 19:26, 1 November 2013 (UTC)
Alex - This Help Desk posts asks about the revolutionary woman army attack on Nanking in 1911 and why Xinhai Revolution lacks information on it. If you have some time, please look into this. Thanks. -- Jreferee (talk) 16:10, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
||Zhonghua Barnstar of Merit
|As the founder of Wikiproject China, thank you so much.
|this WikiAward was given to Alex Shih by Wpzhiyilee (talk) on 05:50, 8 February 2014 (UTC)