- 1 Happy New Year!
- 2 Cosmin Contra
- 3 2014–15 A-League table
- 4 Doubt - Reply
- 5 Talkback
- 6 Your GA nomination of 1998 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final
- 7 DYK for Carolina Neurath
- 8 Your GA nomination of 1998 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final
- 9 Nomination of 2014–15 A-League results for deletion
- 10 DYK for Karolina Olsson
- 11 1999/2000 PL captains
- 12 DYK terminology
- 13 Quique Sánchez Flores
- 14 Nigel Pearson "sacking"
- 15 Toni
- 16 DYK for 2015 Coupe de la Ligue Final
- 17 DYK for 2015 Football League Cup Final
- 18 Måns
Happy New Year!
Hi mate. I'm not too familiar with the situation, but based on what you've told me, it looks like you've done the right thing. If all the sources point to Contra moving to China in the next day or two, then I guess that's what's happening. – PeeJay 18:06, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
2014–15 A-League table
It's cool, dude. Shit happens. :P
Cheers for updating it though, it's awesome having a core group of a dozen or so people who are always willing to update the A-League articles on a match by match basis. :)
- It's not the new style that I have the issue with. I can understand that it's easier to deal with. I have no issues with that. It's the fact that the colouring system has changed. I wrote a big spiel about it here, but I'm not sure if it will be answered any more than it already has been. :(
- My main issue was that with the new tables, they've used blue as a colour for the finals series, when I believe it should be yellow. Blue is normally used for things like the Europa League... You know, those secondary Continental Championships. Even the Australian League qualified for one back in the day - 1986 National Soccer League. If you have a look here, Asia also has a secondary club championship, which makes me feel as though the A-League finals series qualifiers should be in blue and not yellow...
- Then I had another issue with the colours chosen for the tables, but that's another issue. :P J man708 (talk) 20:32, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
- The colours used for the A-League or the colouring system? I'll answer both with a yes. :P
- I feel the A-League table will be a lot better off with yellow as the qualifier for the Finals Playoff Series. I reckon blue should be used once Australia has clubs in a secondary AFC Club Competition. (Perhaps the AFC Cup, if Australia is allowed to compete in the future?)
- The colouring system I find really hard to see and I feel that the blue/purple colour used is far too dark and eye-catching, whereas the green used is ever so slightly too light. I feel that the bolder shade of colour should be used for the highest tournament available. As you probably saw, this was my suggestion -
Level Green Blue Yellow Red Black Level 1 ACE1AF ACE5EE FFFFA0 FFCCCC CCCCCC Level 2 D0F0C0 BBEBFF FFFFB0 FFE6E6 E6E6E6 Level 3 E8FFD8 CCF3FF FFFFD0 FFF3F3 F3F3F3 Level 4 EFFFEF D9FCFF FFFFE6 FFF9F9 F9F9F9 White White White White White White
- Sorry about the late reply, but yeah! That's perfect! That has absolutely hit the nail on the head.
- What do you think? For me with my shitty vision, it's a lot easier to see and read. The lack of responses on the WikiProject Football page is making me think "For helvede", though... :P J man708 (talk) 23:30, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
- No issue at all, man. It just shits me that people see Wikipedia as something to be bureaucratic about rather than it being what it is, an online encyclopedia. Anyone who takes it too seriously and gets angry is a complete tool. An old co-worker of mine used to tell me "It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys". - J man708 (talk) 12:17, 26 January 2015 (UTC)
Doubt - Reply
Hi there Arbero, yes it is (even though that is my real name and I had already changed account, I would like to be addressed here as AlwaysLearning or AL for short please), how is it going?
Did i do anything out of order in my last edits in Cosmin Contra? If you perceived it as such, please accept my apologies, not my intention. I do feel that compression is for box and the second part of intro (where the subject's career is summarized), in the first part of intro and storyline club names should be written in full, because otherwise their articles would have a different name than what they have (example, if the club's name is CA Osasuna, then that's what should appear in storyline the first time the club is mentioned, not Osasuna). If not regarding Contra, is there anything you would like to discuss with me? I'm all ears.
I had a very serious run-in with an idiot that felt Benfica had been robbed in the 2014 UEFA Europa League Final, then proceeded to vandalize several articles (Michel Platini for example, he also changed Beto's nickname to "Betoteiro", a compound word of his sporting name and "Batoteiro", Portuguese for "cheater"). I tried to reason with him and later reverted him on sight, see more details of the discussion with this "wonderful" "human being" here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:18.104.22.168). I felt so wikisick after that that i asked that my account be destroyed, with the intention of leaving forever, and this punk had the nerve to provoke in other people's pages after I decided I was leaving and went there to notify them, he wrote in all the pages I left a notification "Bye AL". Well, here i am still, seems i am "hooked".
(sorry as well for the late reply, out of town) Nope, no plans for a new account at the moment. Plus, this IP is static, so I'm easily "caught" (for good or bad). --22.214.171.124 (talk) 17:43, 7 January 2015 (UTC)
Your GA nomination of 1998 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final
Hi there, I'm pleased to inform you that I've begun reviewing the article 1998 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final you nominated for GA-status according to the criteria. This process may take up to 7 days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you might have during this period. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Cloudz679 -- Cloudz679 (talk) 13:20, 18 January 2015 (UTC)
DYK for Carolina Neurath
|On 19 January 2015, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article Carolina Neurath, which you recently created or substantially expanded. The fact was ... that Swedish journalist Carolina Neurath ventured into acting when she starred as Princess Arianna Ad'lah in the film Star Wars: Threads of Destiny in 2014? The nomination discussion and review may be seen at Template:Did you know nominations/Carolina Neurath. You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, live views, daily totals), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.|
Your GA nomination of 1998 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final
The article 1998 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final you nominated as a good article has failed ; see Talk:1998 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final for reasons why the nomination failed. If or when these points have been taken care of, you may apply for a new nomination of the article. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Cloudz679 -- Cloudz679 (talk) 09:21, 20 January 2015 (UTC)
Nomination of 2014–15 A-League results for deletion
A discussion is taking place as to whether the article 2014–15 A-League results is suitable for inclusion in Wikipedia according to Wikipedia's policies and guidelines or whether it should be deleted.
The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/2014–15 A-League results until a consensus is reached, and anyone is welcome to contribute to the discussion. The nomination will explain the policies and guidelines which are of concern. The discussion focuses on high-quality evidence and our policies and guidelines.
Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion notice from the top of the article.. QED237 (talk) 13:40, 21 January 2015 (UTC)
DYK for Karolina Olsson
|On 22 January 2015, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article Karolina Olsson, which you recently created or substantially expanded. The fact was ... that the Swedish woman Karolina Olsson purportedly stayed in a constant state of sleep for 32 years? The nomination discussion and review may be seen at Template:Did you know nominations/Karolina Olsson. You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, live views, daily totals), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.|
1999/2000 PL captains
My man, without 100% of certainties, here they are:
GIL VICENTE - Jorge Casquilha; MARÍTIMO - Albertino or Carlos Jorge (footballer); GUIMARÃES - Pedro Espinha, I think Fernando Meira was still too young, but he's also a possibility; E. AMADORA - Joaquim Rebelo; BRAGA - José Barroso (footballer); U. LEIRIA - Luís Bilro; ALVERCA - Hugo Costa; BELENENSES - Wilson; CAMPOMAIORENSE - Rogério Matias (very little certainty in this case!); FARENSE - Rui Eugénio (father of Pedro Eugénio) or Carlos Costa; SALGUEIROS - no one comes to mind except Jorge Silva; RIO AVE - Nito or Augusto Gama; SANTA CLARA - Paulo Figueiredo.
- Yes, if you spot any videos and wish to tell which player is "what", send them to me and i'll happily help --126.96.36.199 (talk) 21:39, 28 January 2015 (UTC)
A couple of replays appear during the game (the first around the 4:35 mark), seems to be Bruno Fernandes (footballer born 1974) wearing the armband. Please, keep in mind most teams have designated three captains (in some cases, more even) before the season starts. In Marítimo's case, C. Jorge did not suit up for this game, and I am 100% sure he was one of the main captains, not really sure about Albertino though. --188.8.131.52 (talk) 23:31, 28 January 2015 (UTC)
- Rio Ave: most definitely Augusto Gama (veteran of more than 200 Primeira Liga and Segunda Liga games apiece, see here http://www.foradejogo.net/player.php?player=197001260001), Nito also appears in the lineup, so I imagine Gama first captain, Nito second captain. --184.108.40.206 (talk) 01:51, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- And, if you put C. Jorge in Marítimo, you'll be 100% correct (there may have been more than one captain as he played little due to his age, but he was team captain in importance, I guarantee you) --220.127.116.11 (talk) 02:55, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
Man, based on the external link I just sent you, could you please create Mr. Gama's article? In spite of the big age difference, he is Bruno Gama's brother. Add that as an external link and create the infobox, i'll complete/correct it if needs completion/correction. His position should read "forward". Cheers --18.104.22.168 (talk) 14:39, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- No big problem, just create the box (with the help of the link I sent you) and i'll do the rest. Or you can create just a stub sentence ("Augusto Vilela Gama (born 26 January 1970) is a Portuguese retired footballer who played as a forward, and the current assistant coach of Rio Ave FC"), and i'll do everything else. Since I have no account, I cannot create articles myself.
- Thanks for the article, I have cleaned up where due. --22.214.171.124 (talk) 22:26, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
FORWARD is correct, as he scored more goals than a mere winger. I doubt references will be found, but i'll try. Please don't edit in the article in the next hour, to avoid edit conflict. --126.96.36.199 (talk) 22:56, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
- Change of heart in Farense (what was I thinking?), it has to be one of the two historic Moroccans, Hajry Redouane or Hassan Nader, I think we should choose the first because, even though the second played more, I did not see him with the armband in any of the two clips you sent me. --188.8.131.52 (talk) 01:13, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
Against Sporting, Paulo Sérgio (this guy http://www.foradejogo.net/player.php?player=197011130001) seems to be wearing the band, so he's a good option. Did not spot any captain in the footage against Porto. --184.108.40.206 (talk) 02:54, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- Many thanks, will now proceed to eat it whole :) --220.127.116.11 (talk) 03:27, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
If you look inside the season, each manager contains exactly the date on which they were fired on a given season. Example, checking Setúbal's 1999/2000 entry, we can see that that Carlos Cardoso was appointed in the off-season (20 AUGUST 1999) and fired on 8 JANUARY 2000, making way for Rui Águas (http://www.foradejogo.net/team.php?team=21&red=N&ano=2000&escalao=0&red=N&language=2, click on the managers separately for the date).
For a given season, go above in this site (FORADEJOGO.net), then choose "Competition", "By year", "Decade 2000" and "2000", that will lead precisely to the 1999/2000 campaign. I am sorry, but this is just not my cup of tea, I like to do individual players (in the early days I also edited small clubs), that's it.
The article was nominated by User:The C of E. He put his name, and mine, on the DYK nomination as he felt that we were the two main contributors. The reviewer of the application thought that you were also a key contributor, to which I concur.
DYK credits are a nice present, but not really that important (think of the "top assists" table in football). I do it from time to time, The C of E is very involved with it. I know if you don't take part in it that much, you might not feel this credit is so important, but I think you deserve recognition for it. '''tAD''' (talk) 22:49, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- I see that you have! Looks like a second League Cup Final for you as well '''tAD''' (talk) 23:01, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- Currently, at GA nominations, I have The Inbetweeners 2 (a recent cult British gross-out film) to which I have made over 200 edits. I also have there "Clown in the Dumps", a recent Simpsons episode which garnered a lot of media attention. Because of my obsessive compulsive disorder, I sometimes read articles for research or schoolwork, notice glaring mistakes and edit them. Apart from such pop-culture subjects (football included) I don't have any expertise to contribute greatly to other articles. At university I study languages, but not linguistics, so that isn't applicable to my work here. However, it helps me get sources for more obscure football players - the British mainstream media's coverage of foreign football barely passes Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. Oh, and Real Sociedad just because of David Moyes! '''tAD''' (talk) 23:18, 1 February 2015 (UTC)
- I was involved in video games with the hype around Flappy Bird, it was my first GA nomination and was controversial as the page was not yet stable, it was delisted and it doesn't interest me much anymore. I did editFIFA 15 as well, basically just to keep it clean of original research, vandalism and such. '''tAD''' (talk) 01:01, 2 February 2015 (UTC)
- Small note on English pleasantries. "Nice knowing you" is generally used for when you are unlikely to see that person again, and is generally used ironically (for example, after falling out with a friend). To better convey your friendly message, we would say "nice to get to know you" or simply "nice to meet you" '''tAD''' (talk) 15:57, 2 February 2015 (UTC)
Since you update his page regularly, thought you'd like to know: a Colombian IP (also formerly known as User:Xxxx693, amongst other accounts), back in 2012, thought that the article's name should be QUIQUE SÁNCHEZ FLORES, as well as the playername in the infobox.
Upon discussion, in both the user's page and Mr. Flores' talkpage, SEVERAL users (not just me) told him that, in the English WP, QUIQUE FLORES was 100% enough as article name. He did not like the outcome, and subsequently resorted to severely insult only me (homosexual, Portuguese idiot, crybaby, destroyed my userpage again and again, etc.). Now he has returned, doing the same (now, since I do not have a userpage to be destroyed, he has to be content with insulting me in the summaries, which he did in Spanish), pityful.
Nigel Pearson "sacking"
- Please wait for official announcements first, rather than edit-warring based on press speculation. This looks particularly bad considering that the whole rumour was made up by the press in the first place. Lukeno94 (tell Luke off here) 23:52, 8 February 2015 (UTC)
DYK for 2015 Coupe de la Ligue Final
|On 18 February 2015, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article 2015 Coupe de la Ligue Final, which you recently created or substantially expanded. The fact was ... that Paris Saint-Germain and SC Bastia, the two teams in the 2015 Coupe de la Ligue Final, also played the tournament's first ever final? The nomination discussion and review may be seen at Template:Did you know nominations/2015 Coupe de la Ligue Final. You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, live views, daily totals), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.|
DYK for 2015 Football League Cup Final
|On 1 March 2015, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article 2015 Football League Cup Final, which you recently created or substantially expanded. The fact was ... that the 2015 Football League Cup Final is a repeat of the 2008 Final between Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur? The nomination discussion and review may be seen at Template:Did you know nominations/2015 Football League Cup Final. You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, live views, daily totals), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.|
Please take a look at the article about Måns Zelmerlöw. I have done several edits to improve the article ahead of his likely Melodifestivalen winning next weekend. Any further improvements are appreciated. Cheers.--BabbaQ (talk) 17:25, 4 March 2015 (UTC)