User talk:Arch dude

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

(older stuff it at User talk:Arch dude/archive)

Contents

DC meetup #3[edit]

Interested in meeting-up with a bunch of your wiki-friends? Please take a quick look at Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 3 and give your input about the next meetup. Thank you.
This automated notice was delivered to you because you are on the Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Invite. BrownBot 01:10, 1 November 2007 (UTC)

Preity Zinta FA[edit]

Hi there. The Preity Zinta article has recently achieved A-class status. Due to the wealth of support I have decided to now nominate for an FA class article which I believe and judging by the comments of others is pretty much up to. In my view it is better than some existing FA actor articles. I would therefore be very grateful if you could give it a final review in your own time and leave your comments and views at Wikipedia:Featured article candidates/Preity Zinta. Thankyou, your comments are always valuable. ♦ Sir Blofeld ♦ "Talk"? 10:57, 1 November 2007 (UTC)

Hi fella. Yeah I must admit I'm totally with you on that one. I hate the confrontation you get at FA'S by people who will oppose on trivialities this is why I have avoided adminship and avoid wiki counselling -it bores me to tears literlly. Yeah you think you have written a damn good article and people start strongly opposing because of an extra comma!! I rarely go for an FA most often because I can't be arsed to discuss things for weeks on end when there are two million other articles to contend with. However this particular article I felt worth chasing and have done some work on. I asked a variety of people to review it at random from a range of fields to try to get an even turn out at the FA. Despite this I have been accused of Canvassing by some of the tedious people you get at these places. I completely see if you don't want to even look at it. Thanks anyway. ♦ Sir Blofeld ♦ "Talk"? 14:22, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

Basically it is precisely because of the lack of FA turn out that you identified that I asked many people to review it to publicize it. If people don't know about it then they can't comment can they? Despite this I have been accused of contacting people to try to manipulate support for it even though I clearly asked people at random- silly isn't it. Sometimes you can't win ♦ Sir Blofeld ♦ "Talk"? 14:42, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

WorldCat[edit]

I responded to you on my talk page. A pity the WorldCat proposals you posted met with such deafening silence... but can we claim that as implicit support? Dsp13 14:23, 15 November 2007 (UTC)

and well done btw on yr 'slow progress' with the ff extension! Not that slow, given the hoops one has to jump through to do these things for the first time (which had always scared me off):) Dsp13 (talk) 10:51, 19 November 2007 (UTC)

Replies[edit]

I replied on my talk page. Please see here. PrestonH 05:48, 1 December 2007 (UTC)

AfD nomination of Romit Raaj[edit]

Nuvola apps important.svg

An editor has nominated Romit Raaj, an article on which you have worked or that you created, for deletion. We appreciate your contributions, but the nominator doesn't believe that the article satisfies Wikipedia's criteria for inclusion and has explained why in his/her nomination (see also "What Wikipedia is not").

Your opinions on whether the article meets inclusion criteria and what should be done with the article are welcome; please participate in the discussion by adding your comments at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Romit Raaj and please be sure to sign your comments with four tildes (~~~~).

You may also edit the article during the discussion to improve it but should not remove the articles for deletion template from the top of the article; such removal will not end the deletion debate. Thank you. BJBot (talk) 03:29, 11 January 2008 (UTC)

King's Ely[edit]

Thanks for your disambiguity edit. I now know how to do those! :D ResearchUK (talk) 12:30, 11 January 2008 (UTC)

Help Desk[edit]

Thank you again for your help in taking my article on Sierra Sciences live! I'd be happy to assist in help desk responding whenever I get the chance; however, I won't be using this account, since this is a single-purpose account I use to edit biology-related articles associated with my work. Cheers! --SierraSciSPA (talk) 17:54, 29 January 2008 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

Got your message about inkscape. I'll give it a try. Richiar (talk) 02:29, 19 February 2008 (UTC)

DC Meetup on May 17th[edit]

Your help is needed in planning Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 4! Any comments or suggestions you have are greatly appreciated. The Placebo Effect (talk) 18:34, 8 March 2008 (UTC)

Orphaned non-free media (Image:Itanium 2007 Logo.png)[edit]

Nuvola apps important blue.svg Thanks for uploading Image:Itanium 2007 Logo.png. The media description page currently specifies that it is non-free and may only be used on Wikipedia under a claim of fair use. However, it is currently orphaned, meaning that it is not used in any articles on Wikipedia. If the media was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that that will be useful. However, please note that media for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on Wikipedia (see our policy for non-free media).

If you have uploaded other unlicensed media, please check whether they're used in any articles or not. You can find a list of 'image' pages you have edited by clicking on the "my contributions" link (it is located at the very top of any Wikipedia page when you are logged in), and then selecting "Image" from the dropdown box. Note that all non-free media not used in any articles will be deleted after seven days, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. Thank you. BJBot (talk) 06:32, 12 March 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for the response to my question[edit]

Personally i think if anyone is using sodium hydroxide they should have a lot of vinegar or some other weak acid near by, but i would just like to thank you for responding. Pascha mit futbol (talk) 04:20, 14 April 2008 (UTC)

Thank you for help[edit]

Arch Dude,

Thank you for your help about the coffee mug. I am a novice on the computer and did not intend to intrude on a private page. Your response was appreciated. Again, forgive the intrusion and thank you.

Andrew Skilleter[edit]

It would be good if you could help bring up the level of this newly created article to at least stub level. At the moment there are issues with notability that need to be addressed if the article isn't to go up for deletion. --Deadly∀ssassin 03:12, 4 May 2008 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 4[edit]

Please note that there is a DC Meetup planned for May 17th at 5:00 p.m., though a place has not yet been set. You're receiving this notice because you posted to the page for the prior meetup - Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 3 - but haven't indicated whether or not you're interested in attending this one. (Apologies if in fact you have.) BetacommandBot (talk) 01:05, 5 May 2008 (UTC)

Worldcat Identities & templates[edit]

Hi there Arch dude. Just wanted to say thanks for the {{worldcat id}} template, which I came across a few weeks ago. I for one think it's quite useful, and have been gradually adding it to relevant articles I'm editing as I go along. Personally I think it'd be fine to have worldcat id links as a useful if optional standard on relevant authors' or subjects' articles; while the entries in WorldCat ID might be a little systemically 'unrepresentative of a global view', I can't see the harm in applying it to cases that do have entries.

In partial inspiration of your template, I created one that can be used to cite Library of Congress Authorities records data, as displayed by WorldCat Identities in its linked authority files (LAF). The template, {{cite linked authority file}} may be used to standardise a cite for info (an author's DOB, say) that can often be found in the corresponding LAF record when it is otherwise hard to track down.

Let me know what you think, would be glad to hear of any suggestions. --cjllw ʘ TALK 08:44, 10 June 2008 (UTC)

Itanium Article talk[edit]

Hi Arch Dude - I responded to your comments on my talk page. - Josh joshfisher (talk) 02:48, 15 June 2008 (UTC)

Dynamic lifter[edit]

Thank you for your book tip and example of lifting a truck solo for Dolmen question at the sci desk -- living proof. : ) Julia Rossi (talk) 12:09, 1 August 2008 (UTC)

Re:Links to "Hawthorn" in Lepidoptera articles[edit]

Hello there! Sorry for messing that up, you are absolutely right, I should link to the plant and not the disambiguation. I see you corrected the links already, thanks for that and thanks for informing me, I will pay attention to that with the new pages I create. Cheers!Ruigeroeland (talk) 14:47, 3 August 2008 (UTC)

You're invited...[edit]

...to the 5th Washington DC Meetup! Please visit the linked page to RSVP or for more information. All are welcome!
This has been an automated delivery, you can opt-out of future notices by removing your name from the invite list. BrownBot (talk) 23:54, 5 September 2008 (UTC)

The Air-Water Question[edit]

I much appreciate your interest and your responses to my question on the Science Reference desk. Your revelation that the volume of air involved is immaterial, as long as there is some air, came as a surprise to me.

It makes sense, when I think about it one way, but it is counterintuitive.

Thank you and best wishes, Wanderer57 (talk) 04:45, 7 September 2008 (UTC)

Archie Frederick Collins[edit]

Thanks for your improvement to this article. I would appreciate your input as to what the article should be called. On his books, Collins listed his name as "A. Frederick Collins." This is also what he was called in in various American newspapers in the stock promotion campaign which got him into trouble in 1911. Who's Who listed him as "A(RCHIE) FREDERICK COLLINS). So should the main article be moved to "A. Frederick Collins" and "Archie Frederick Collins be a redirect, or would you leave it as is? I note the articles W. Somerset Maugham , A. A. Milne, C. S. Lewis and H. G. Wells where the title is the most commonly used version of the name. Thanks again. Edison (talk) 20:17, 5 October 2008 (UTC)

Hi Edison. I'm mostly neutral on the subject of "true names" versus redirects. I occasionally patrol the Wikipedia:Project Gutenberg author list looking for new blue links, and when I see one I add an author link of verify the existing author link. Since I'm there anyway, I sometimes make minor copyedits. This is what happened here. -Arch dude (talk) 00:16, 6 October 2008 (UTC)

You must be exhausted[edit]

Working Man's Barnstar.png The Working Wikipedian's Barnstar
For your exemplary effort in preserving the audit trail from the 1900 DNB, and protecting us all from nasty lawyers. Good job! Aervanath lives in the Orphanage 06:56, 7 November 2008 (UTC)

DNB[edit]

Kudos on the DNB work you're doing. Three things for you: Sir James Stephen should probably by James Stephen (politician) - I don't think we do honorifics in article titles, except in restricted cases. WP:NCP is not abundantly clear on the matter, but I'm fairly sure that is the convention ... I think the article should be moved. Next thing is to consider bunging in some more subheaders, especially something separating lede paragraph from the rest - I tend to use ==biography==. Third is to think about adding some inline citations - I point you to Samuel Hammond (minister) for an example. But mainly, thanks for mining DNB. --Tagishsimon (talk) 10:07, 7 November 2008 (UTC)

Oh. I see that WP:NCP says "Do not have additional qualifiers (such as "King", "Saint", "Dr.", "(person)", "(ship)"), except when this is the simplest and most NPOV way to deal with disambiguation". So the question for James Step[hen is what is the best way of disambiguating. YMMV, of course. --Tagishsimon (talk) 10:10, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the comments. I simply used the redlink at Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles/DNB as my title, thus turning it blue. Perhaps we should change those redlinks to the "appropriate" titles? Do you want to take a first look at this? I'll move the article and fix its incoming links. With respect to sections: yes, we need sections. I generally attack these article in a particular order: raw dump: crude cleanup, outgoing links, incoming links, section headers, refinement. If I get tired before I finish, I wander away and come back later. This article has not reached "section headers" yet. I consider the links to have higher priority because they establish that the article is not an orphan. I have been doing all this incrementally in mainspace in the hope of attracting helpers, but the intermediates are not pretty. I am considering a change in approach wherein I start in user subspace and then move the article (the move preserves the history.) Even after I "finish", the article will still deperately need work, but it will be a whole lot better than nothing and I hope other editors will take it from there.-Arch dude (talk) 10:37, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
Mmm. I notice & continue to like your work on the DNB, including the just-added stats. And I think I saw from talk:James Stephen (whateveryoufinallyDABditas) that it was a dump - your stage 1 and maybe a bit of 2. You're right - we should sort out the redlinks on the DNB page, and I might do some of that, but feel free. Creating in user-space ... your choice, obviously; there are things to be said on either side of it. I guess the most frequently transpiring risk of creating in article space will be helpful people popping onto your talk page suggesting that you do things you had every intention of doing once you had the time. In all seriousness, I'm very glad that you're addressing the DNB backlog in such a very competent fashion; thanks. --Tagishsimon (talk) 18:39, 11 November 2008 (UTC)

thank you[edit]

Thank you very much for starting John Shebbeare. Nice work! Kingturtle (talk) 20:18, 30 November 2008 (UTC)

Follow-up on "merging encyclopedias"[edit]

User:Charles Matthews/WikiProject DNBMerge. Charles Matthews (talk) 06:09, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Wikibooks confirmation[edit]

Hi Arch dude,

Please confirm your request on en.wikibooks on this talk page (while logged in). --SB_Johnny | talk 12:11, 2 February 2009 (UTC)

Sure! This really is me, and I really do want to usurp myself on en.wikibooks. -Arch dude (talk) 12:35, 2 February 2009 (UTC)
Ok, all done :-). --SB_Johnny | talk 13:25, 2 February 2009 (UTC)

WorldCat and Wikipedia:External links[edit]

Since you created Template:Worldcat id, I thought you might be interested in commenting on whether/when links to WorldCat identity pages are allowed by Wikipedia:External links. My view is that they're usually acceptable because they provide significant, accurate information that can't reasonably be included directly in a Wikipedia article, but another user has disagreed. I've commented at Template talk:Worldcat id, and I'd be grateful for any observations. EALacey (talk) 16:34, 6 February 2009 (UTC)

Thank you[edit]

Thank you very much for the changes and the explanation on the English 4994 page. As you know, I was struggling to figure out how to create/name/place that page, so your edits are welcome and educating. I'm learning with my students (I know not everyone agrees with that teaching philosophy -- here in Wikipedia and elsewhere, but it's one I believe in). My students will be starting (slowly) this week/weekend, so I will be on and learning more too. Thanks again.

Oh, I realized I should have created a user name/user page unaffiliated with the class, but I don't see any way to change that now without starting all over. Is there any way?

AEG English4994 (talk) 02:59, 19 February 2009 (UTC)AEG English4994

DC Meetup Events: You're invited![edit]

Wikipedia Loves Art! (February 27)

The Smithsonian American Art Museum will be holding a Wikipedia Loves Art! meetup on Friday, February 27 from 5-7 pm in the Kogod Courtyard. This is a photography event involving Wikipedians, along with Flickr users and others, to generate content for Wikipedia. Come share your experiences, meet the other teams, and take some photos! While RSVPing isn't necessary drop Jeff Gates an email if you're planning on attending so he can get a head count: gatesj (at) si.edu. There also is a signup list here, along with detailed information. The museum is conveniently located across from the Gallery Place-Chinatown metro station.

DC 6th Meetup (March 7)

The DC 6th meetup will take place on March 7th at Pizzeria Uno's at Union Station, one level up from the main floor. The meetup will start at 5pm, and people usually stick around there for several hours. You can RSVP at Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 6.


This has been an automated because you your name was on the invite list. BrownBot (talk) 16:18, 21 February 2009 (UTC)

From Lee Carroll[edit]

Hi Arch:

Forgive me if this is not the way to reach you. I'm not a Wikipedia savy guy, and so I can't really see the way to answer your very kind email about my participation (editing) of the Indigo Children page.

I would very much like to follow the guidelines of publishing my factual material but I'm kind of at a loss. I've never been ask to prove that I'm me on the Internet.

So I've provided the official URL of the Official Indigo site, the one that promotes the books.

http://www.indigochild.com/authors.html

My email is there. My bio is there too. An email to that site's office will confirm that I'm me, and trying to correct factual information on the Indigo page.

Hay House, the publisher of the book, has no author bio pages, and even if they did, it would simply be a link that anyone could offer. So I offer this too: Email my Hay House editor Jill Kramer. jkramer@hayhouse.com

This is the publisher of the three Indigo books (only one is listed on the Indigo page). They will confirm it too.

These are reliable sources, since they represent both the publisher of the books and also the official site for the books.

What else?

Thanks again for your help.

LEE CARROLL

```` —Preceding unsigned comment added by Lcarroll (talkcontribs) 19:21, 5 March 2009 (UTC)


DNB[edit]

I came across your Workshop subpage a couple of times recently. About scanned text for the Dictionary of National Biography: I have been posting at User:Charles Matthews/DNB scans information as I compile it on the available scanned text, volume by volume. It's a somewhat complex picture, with duplications. Where the University of Toronto scans are available, they tend to be superior to those done in the name of Google, which are patchy and often not the kind you'd bring home to meet your parents. All volumes are theoretically available, in fact (this doesn't mean it's all legible, but obviously the duplications help cover some places that are bad). The Wikisource project to place the articles online individually is active, but I wouldn't mind a bit of company ... big job. Charles Matthews (talk) 09:49, 27 April 2009 (UTC)

At All Costs Trivia... REVERSED???[edit]

I think you are the person who added the Trivia to "At All Costs", the book by David Weber. The Trivia in question mentions Halsey and Semmes. I suspect you have the various Strategy and Tactics skills reversed between the two historic naval officers. LP-mn (talk) 03:19, 1 May 2009 (UTC) i.e.: "Semmes is remembered for his strategy and Halsey for his tactics" LP-mn (talk) 03:20, 1 May 2009 (UTC)

Elmley Castle[edit]

. --Kudpung (talk) 03:27, 13 June 2009 (UTC)

Trademark symbols[edit]

I'll just paste the same thing I told Nyttend: Why would trademark symbols be retained for titles any more than for products? I don't see any reason to keep them, and MOS:TM doesn't make an exception for web page titles.—Chowbok 21:47, 15 July 2009 (UTC)

Removing a trademark symbol doesn't reduce the accuracy of the citation, any more than citing a title in Arial that was originally printed in a serif typeface. Trademark symbols aren't letters, they're typographical flourishes.—Chowbok 22:52, 15 July 2009 (UTC)

plagiarism[edit]

With regards to Wikipedia talk:plagiarism, I think that you and I are largely in agreement. Just for you information, to explain an area I am working on, I have a page User:Philip Baird Shearer/BCWs copyright issues which includes a list of articles that need deleting and recreating. I have three left to go and the need to expand some of the others. One of the pages left is Cromwell's Upper House which is under development in one of my sandboxes User:Philip Baird Shearer/Sand box#Upper house. Of the third article (James Temple) you might be interested in making your opinion known in Wikipedia_talk:Copyright problems#James Temple this conversation --PBS (talk) 14:00, 4 August 2009 (UTC)

I've been watching the James Temple mess. I have an opinion, but my solution take a lot of work and I am unwilling to do it, so I dont want to suggest it. I think we need to delete the existing article, replace it with a port from the ODNB, and then re-insert all of the useful edits from the existing article. -Arch dude (talk) 17:51, 4 August 2009 (UTC)

Kirby[edit]

Hi Arch dude!
You are quite right that (a) the alteration requires a comment and (b) the article could do with a slightly closer referencing. Unfortunately Freeman's Life is not accessible to me at present, but that's the source. Certainly JDH was far too young to make the contact required at that time. Thanks for your vigilance! Best wishes, Eebahgum (talk) 08:09, 7 August 2009 (UTC)

(replied on your talk page.) -Arch dude (talk) 08:47, 7 August 2009 (UTC)

Planning Discussions Now Finished Regarding DC Meetup #9[edit]

  • You are receiving this message either because you received a similar one before and didn't object, or you requested to receive a similar one in the future. If you don't wish to receive this message again, then please let me know either on my talk page or here.
  • Planning — for the most part, anyway — is now finished (see here) for DC Meetup #9.

--NBahn (talk) 02:35, 10 December 2009 (UTC)

Karstwanderweg[edit]

Hi. I can't import a map as they're copyright, but I have added links to a panoramic view of the walk and the four map sections of the route from the website. HTH. --Bermicourt (talk) 07:42, 24 January 2010 (UTC)


Gregory Magarshak[edit]

Hey, your'e right, I could use some help formatting things correctly. See the talk page... —Preceding unsigned comment added by 69.114.125.45 (talk) 20:18, 28 January 2010 (UTC)

Which talk page? There is nothing on the artile's talk page (Talk:Gregory Magarshak]]) or at the afd or at the talk page of your IP address. -Arch dude (talk) 21:21, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
I am talking about the page we were talking on (the afd?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Gregory_Magarshak —Preceding unsigned comment added by 69.114.125.45 (talk) 23:36, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
Go to this page: {{Cite news}}. This is the template we will use once you find your sources. If you cannot find them online, then go to the library with a paper copy of the template as a guide, and copy down the information. There is no reason to try to fill in all of the possible exotic parameters, but the name of the paper, the date, the name of the news story, and the page it is on, are all essential. Fill in any other parameters that are easy to fill in. Then, find and paraphrase (DO NOT COPY) anything that is useful for the article. After all that, I can help with formatting of a reference section, ref tags, etc. While it is not strictly legal, you might want to photocopy the article and e-mail it to me or place it on your web site temporarily while we work on this. We can claim the "single copy for research purposes" exemption to Copyright law for the e-mail. It is much simpler to find a legitimate archive on the web if the newspaper has one: the NY times does, but it may be behind a paywall. In any case, the actual physical newspaper is the real reference and this is perfectly legitimate here at Wikipedia, even if we cannot find a web copy. An editor cannot challenge a source merely because it is not available on the internet, as long as you provide enough information that some substantial number of editors could in theory go and find your source in a library. Remember: we are attempting to meet the criteria at WP:N, using sources that meet WP:RS. I am becoming more and more confident that we can do this. It will be really good if you can find anything that describes how unusual ("unprecedented") it is for a child to do this. If we can place a referenced assertion of this into the article, you will never have to worry about a challenge to its notability in the future. I apologize for appearing to be harsh about this, but we currently have more than 50,000 unreferenced articles about living people, and a group of editors is trying to kill them. I do agree that we have a problem, but I strongly prefer to keep any of these articles that really deserve to be here. I'm just a random editor, one of about 150,000 active editors, with no special privileges and no particular interest in this debate. I found your article during a random cleanup effort of improper links to the LAMP page, and decided to get it cleaned up. -Arch dude (talk) 00:07, 29 January 2010 (UTC)
Alright, sounds good. I will see what I can do, but I will need some time. I basically have to find a physical copy of the Daily News article and other articles, and then write down the name of the publication, the date, the name of the news story, and the page it's on -- right? I also have news clips from CNN and so forth -- would these be useful at all, or are they even necessary? It sounds like if I did the above for the Daily News article as well as the Russian article or NYPost article, that would be enough. Is that right?
Sources written in English are preferred. Get s many as possible: two is a minimum. Rmemeber: a mere announcement is not enough the article must have at least a few sentences that support the notability of the subject, Gregory Magarshak. Feel free to also cite the Russian article, and if here is any way at all to find the sources on line, it will help a lot. Good Luck! -Arch dude (talk) 17:56, 29 January 2010 (UTC)

Citation attribution[edit]

Please see Wikipedia talk:Plagiarism#Citation attribution -- PBS (talk) 05:35, 8 March 2010 (UTC)

Belitsoft restored[edit]

This article has been restored after its deletion was contested at WP:REFUND. As you nominated the article to be deleted via WP:PROD, you may wish to nominate the article for a full deletion discussion at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion. Please also notify creators if if you propose or nominate articles for deletion. --Tikiwont (talk) 13:43, 22 March 2010 (UTC)

Simple English Wikipedia[edit]

Hi, thanks for bringing up the point at simple:Talk:Intel Core i7. I've replied there. Simple English really needs more editors, and I've semi-migrated from here because it's such a friendly, small community. Care to join me? Cheers, SS(Kay) 09:54, 21 April 2010 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of Address decoder[edit]

Ambox warning yellow.svg

The article Address decoder has been proposed for deletion because of the following concern:

Unreferenced for 3½ years, fails WP:V.

While all contributions to Wikipedia are appreciated, content or articles may be deleted for any of several reasons.

You may prevent the proposed deletion by removing the {{dated prod}} notice, but please explain why in your edit summary or on the article's talk page.

Please consider improving the article to address the issues raised. Removing {{dated prod}} will stop the proposed deletion process, but other deletion processes exist. The speedy deletion process can result in deletion without discussion, and articles for deletion allows discussion to reach consensus for deletion. Stifle (talk) 10:50, 28 April 2010 (UTC)

Debate about Red Baron's funeral on Missing man formation[edit]

Someone who apparently imagines that Von Richthofen is a figure from the SECOND world war is madly reverting over a silly idea that funeral flyovers originated from his funeral. His source indicates that it is a supposition, but he insists is "useful" and "accurate". Anyway, I would appreciate your having a look at this as we need to get a consensus.--Soundofmusicals (talk) 22:26, 4 May 2010 (UTC)

Planning Discussions Now Underway Regarding DC Meetup #10[edit]

  • You are receiving this message either because you received a similar one before and didn't object, or you requested to receive a similar one in the future. If you don't wish to receive this message again, then please let me know either on my talk page or here.
  • Please be advised that planning is now underway (see here) for DC Meetup #10. --NBahn (talk) 15:15, 7 May 2010 (UTC)

You are now a Reviewer[edit]

Wikipedia Reviewer.svg

Hello. Your account has been granted the "reviewer" userright, allowing you to review other users' edits on certain flagged pages. Pending changes, also known as flagged protection, is currently undergoing a two-month trial scheduled to end 15 August 2010.

Reviewers can review edits made by users who are not autoconfirmed to articles placed under pending changes. Pending changes is applied to only a small number of articles, similarly to how semi-protection is applied but in a more controlled way for the trial. The list of articles with pending changes awaiting review is located at Special:OldReviewedPages.

When reviewing, edits should be accepted if they are not obvious vandalism or BLP violations, and not clearly problematic in light of the reason given for protection (see Wikipedia:Reviewing process). More detailed documentation and guidelines can be found here.

If you do not want this userright, you may ask any administrator to remove it for you at any time. Courcelles (talk) 04:52, 20 June 2010 (UTC)

DNB project on WP[edit]

The indications to me are that we are now reaching a certain critical mass of DNB articles created on WS, and need to think more about the conversion (and checking) here on WP. I was thinking, prompted by User:Dr. Blofeld, about setting up our own forum somewhere here. This would mean declaring some form of independence from the WP:WPMEA, and I'm wondering about the etiquette. We do really need to be able to invite people to look at what we are doing, talk over technical stuff and so on, on one page, given the typical complexity of going over points, and to have a unique "embassy" page here linking to the WS project pages. Charles Matthews (talk) 10:09, 25 July 2010 (UTC)

I concur. I think a separate project page is probably appropriate. I have never set up a WP project. -Arch dude (talk) 13:40, 25 July 2010 (UTC)

I know how to do that (simple enough). Well, there may be no real objections from the MEA people, but they would probably like a "percentage done" statistic for their records. As far as I know, there is just one number that fits: the number of WS DNB articles linked to a corresponding WP article. There are some objections possible (that number has to be calculated indirectly), but at a bit over 10% it is not unrealistic right now. Charles Matthews (talk) 15:27, 25 July 2010 (UTC)

It may be slightly more politically correct to describe the measure as the percentage of potential WP Bio articles present an linked to the corresponding DNB bio. You and I both know that this is effectively the same measure, but this description is more WP-centric. If we attempted adhere to the de facto MEA convention, we would start with a list of all possible DNB articles and measure progress against that list: I think you (and earlier Magnus) have already gone a long way in that direction. -Arch dude (talk) 12:16, 26 July 2010 (UTC)

To quibble, there are the subarticles to worry about (I think it's of the order of a couple of thousand more biographies); and I'm far from convinced that each of those subarticle topics deserves a Wikipedia article. In fact not all of the main biographies are clearly notable. The percentage actually checked on the listings would be lower at this point, I think. I would guess that about 50% of the needed biographies are in fact present currently on WP.

In any case, I shall think some more about this. A separate project implies a new set of project pages. Topical lists is a particularly interesting area (a breakdown of the DNB biographies by topic area would be a worthy project in its own right). But that's another long job, and my idea would be to start with picking out specialist authors (e.g. music, Scottish history and so on). Charles Matthews (talk) 13:49, 26 July 2010 (UTC)

Most MEA projects start with a full list of candidate articles, and then explicitly move "not notable" candidates into a separate list as they are found: this leaves a record that a project participant actually made a determination about the notability. It's not perfect, but it works. Going the other way: A strong case could be made that inclusion in the DNB is prima facie evidence of notability. The notability decision was made in the 19th century, and the publishing constraints (measured in column-inches) at the time were a lot more rigorous than WP's constraints. I like to think of the DNB contributors as very early WP contributors: we are merely transcribing their work for them. -Arch dude (talk) 13:59, 26 July 2010 (UTC)

Yes, it's prima facie evidence. A typical case is s:Orm (DNB00), where in fact Orm is a shadowy figure, and the DNB article is a "coatrack" for Ormulum. There is no point at all having a separate article for Orm. So, we can discuss this and other things once we get going as a WikiProject here. As far as lists are concerned, I'm fairly much convinced that having a permanent list with ticking is better than a list with removals (except perhaps from a morale standpoint). Anyway, there are a few debates to have. Charles Matthews (talk) 15:00, 26 July 2010 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 11[edit]

Hey, just in case you missed it, there is an oppurtunity to get a free dinner this Tuesday August 11 and a chance to meet and hang out talk about Wikipedia:WikiProject United States Public Policy and WP:GLAM/SI. Sorry that this is so late in the game, I was hoping the e-mail would be a better form of contact for active members (if you want to get on the e-mail list send me an User e-mail ). Hope that you can attend, User:Sadads (talk)11:39, 9 August 2010 (UTC)

DC Meetup #12[edit]

An off-wiki discussion is taking place concerning DC Meetup #12. Watch this page for announcements.
—NBahn (talk) 04:30, 9 September 2010 (UTC)

P.S. You are receiving this message either because you received a similar one before and didn't object, or you requested to receive a similar one in the future. If you don't wish to receive this message again, then please let me know either on my talk page or here.

New DNB WikiProject[edit]

For information: I have set up Wikipedia:WikiProject Dictionary of National Biography, since the time has certainly come when there should be a place for collective discussion of the DNB adaptation effort. Please come and participate. Charles Matthews (talk) 09:39, 9 September 2010 (UTC)

Mechanical filter FAC[edit]

The mechanical filter article which you have previously edited and/or reviewed has been nominated as a Featured Article. You may give your opinion on whether you think this article should be promoted to Featured Article status by leaving a comment on the nomination page. SpinningSpark 18:34, 17 September 2010 (UTC)

Wikipedia DC Meetup, October 23[edit]

You are invited to Wikipedia DC Meetup #12 on Saturday, October 23, 6pm at Bertucci's in Foggy Bottom. Special guests at this meetup will include Wikimedia CTO Danese Cooper, other Wikimedia technical staff and volunteer developers who will be in DC for Hack-A-Ton DC. Please RSVP on the meetup page.

You can remove your name from the Washington DC Meetups invite list at Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Invite/List.

To keep up-to-date on local events, you can also join our mailing list.
This has been an automated delivery by BrownBot (talk) 02:00, 18 October 2010 (UTC)

Wikipedia DC Meetup 13[edit]

You are invited to Wikipedia DC Meetup #13 on Wednesday, November 17, from 7 to 9 pm, location to be determined (but near a Metro station in DC).

To keep up-to-date on local events, you can join the mailing list.

You can remove your name from future notifications of Washington DC Meetups by editing this page: Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Invite/List.
BrownBot (talk) 13:37, 7 November 2010 (UTC)

WikiXDC: Wikipedia 10th Birthday![edit]

10mark k.svg
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)

You are invited to WikiXDC, a special meetup event and celebration on Saturday, January 22 hosted by the National Archives and Records Administration in downtown Washington, D.C.

  • Date: January 22, 2011 (tentatively 9:30 AM - 5 PM)
  • Location: National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), downtown building, Pennsylvania Avenue & 7th St NW.
  • Description: There will be a behind-the-scenes tour of the National Archives and you will learn more about what NARA does. We will also have a mini-film screening featuring FedFlix videos along with a special message from Jimmy Wales. In the afternoon, there will be lightning talks by Wikimedians (signup to speak), wiki-trivia, and cupcakes to celebrate!
  • Details & RSVP: Details about the event are on our Washington, DC tenwiki page.

Please RSVP soon as possible, as there likely will be a cap on number of attendees that NARA can accommodate.


Note: You can unsubscribe from DC meetup notices by removing your name at Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Invite/List. BrownBot (talk) 01:57, 7 January 2011 (UTC)

Autopatrolled[edit]

Wikipedia Autopatrolled.svg

Hello, this is just to let you know that I have granted you the "autopatrolled" permission. This won't affect your editing, it just automatically marks any page you create as patrolled, benefiting new page patrollers. Please remember:

  • This permission does not give you any special status or authority
  • Submission of inappropriate material may lead to its removal
  • You may wish to display the {{Autopatrolled}} top icon and/or the {{User wikipedia/autopatrolled}} userbox on your user page
  • If, for any reason, you decide you do not want the permission, let me know and I can remove it
If you have any questions about the permission, don't hesitate to ask. Otherwise, happy editing! Acalamari 18:52, 26 January 2011 (UTC)

Thanks for the head's-up[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Arch dude. You have new messages at Greg L's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Thanks for looking and the suggestions[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Arch dude. You have new messages at Tkotc's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Wikimania 2012 bid, DC chapter & next meetup![edit]

  1. At WikiXDC in January, User:Harej proposed that DC submit a bid to host Wikimania 2012. A bid and organizing committee is being formed and seeks additional volunteers to help. Please look at our bid page and sign up if you want to help out. You can also signup for the bid team's email list.
  2. To support the Wikimania bid, more events like WikiXDC, and outreach activities like collaborations with the Smithsonian (ongoing) and National Archives, there also has been discussion of forming Wikimedia DC, as an official Wikimedia chapter. You can express interest and contribute to chapter discussions on the Wikimedia DC Meta-Wiki pages.
  3. To discuss all this and meet up with special guest, Dutch Wikipedian User:Kim Bruning, there will be a meetup, Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 16 this Tuesday at 7pm, at Capitol City Brewery, Metro Center. There will be a pre-meetup Wikimania team meeting at 6pm at the same location.

Apologies for the short notice for the meetup. Stay tuned for more meetups and activities this spring, and join wikimedia-dc mailing list for more announcements and discussion. Cheers, User:Aude (talk)


Note: You can unsubscribe from DC meetup notices by removing your name at Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Invite/List. -- Message delivered by AudeBot, on behalf of User:Aude

DC Meetup: May 7 @ Tenleytown Library[edit]

The next DC Wikimedia meetup is scheduled for Saturday, May 7, 3:30-5:30 pm at the Tenleytown Library (adjacent to the Tenleytown Metro Station, Red Line), followed by dinner & socializing at some nearby place.

This is the first official meeting of our proposed Wikimedia DC chapter, with discussion of bylaws and next steps. Other agenda items include, update everyone on our successful Wikimania bid and next steps in the planning process, discuss upcoming activities that we want to do over the summer and fall, and more.

Please RSVP here and see a list of additional tentatively planned meetups & activities for late May & June on the Wikipedia:Meetup/DC page.


Note: You can unsubscribe from DC meetup notices by removing your name at Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Invite/List. -- Message delivered by AudeBot, on behalf of User:Aude

Merge discussion for Winterbourne, Gloucestershire [edit]

Information.svg An article that you have been involved in editing, Winterbourne, Gloucestershire , has been proposed for a merge with another article. If you are interested in the merge discussion, please participate by going here, and adding your comments on the discussion page. Thank you. Skinsmoke (talk) 10:47, 1 June 2011 (UTC)

GLAM-Wiki Baltimore meetup[edit]

The WikiProject National Archives Newsletter[edit]

The first ever WikiProject National Archives newsletter has been published. Please read on to find out what we're up to and how to help out! There are many opportunities for getting more involved. Dominic·t 21:16, 20 July 2011 (UTC)

DC Meetup, July 29[edit]

DC Meetup 21 - Who should come? You should. Really.
Flag of Washington, D.C. icon.svg
DC MEETUP 21 is July 29! This meet up will involve Wikipedians from the area as well as Wiki-loving GLAM professionals. See you Friday! SarahStierch (talk) 16:32, 25 July 2011 (UTC)

DC-area Meetup, Saturday, August 6[edit]

National Archives Backstage Pass - Who should come? You should. Really.
US-NARA-Seal.svg On Saturday, August 6, the National Archives is hosting a Wikipedia meetup, backstage pass tour, and edit-a-thon in College Park, Maryland. Meet staff and fellow Wikipedians, go behind the scenes at the National Archives, help digitize documents, and edit together! Dominic·t 21:16, 28 July 2011 (UTC)

You're invited! Wikimedia DC Annual Membership Meeting[edit]

DC Meetup 23 & Annual Membership Meeting

Wikimedia District of Columbia, the newest officially recognized chapter, is holding its Annual Membership Meeting at 1pm on Saturday, October 1, 2011 at the Tenley-Friendship Neighborhood Library.

Wikimedia DC.svg

Agenda items include:

  • election of the Board of Directors for the next two years
  • approval of a budget for the 2011-2012 fiscal year
  • report on the activities and accomplishments of the past year
  • social gathering afterwards at a nearby restaurant

Candidate nominations are open until 11:59pm EDT on Saturday, September 24. We encourage you to consider being a candidate. (see see candidate instructions)

The meeting is open to both the general public and members from within the DC-MD-VA-WV-DE region and beyond. We encourage everyone to attend!

You may join the chapter at the meeting or online.


Note: You can remove your name from the DC meetup invite list here. -- Message delivered by AudeBot, on behalf of User:Aude

Griffith Williams[edit]

Bad incoming links fixed; one incoming link to Griffith Williams was in fact one for the bishop where no-one had apparently realised that there was an article about him even though "Griffith Williams" was a redlink (which is the usual sign that there is nobody at all on Wikipedia by that name). I can see your point to some extent, but Wikipedia doesn't premptively dab pages otherwise they can be harder to find. Regards, BencherliteTalk 23:07, 21 September 2011 (UTC)

DC-area Meetup, Saturday, October 8[edit]

National Archives Backstage Pass - Who should come? You should. Really.
US-NARA-Seal.svg You are invited to the National Archives in College Park for a special backstage pass and scanathon meetup with Archivist of the United States David Ferriero, on Saturday, October 8. Go behind the scenes and into the stacks at the National Archives, help digitize documents, and edit together! Free catered lunch provided! Dominic·t 15:56, 29 September 2011 (UTC)

Survey for new page patrollers[edit]

NPPbarnstar.jpg

New page patrol – Survey Invitation


Hello Arch dude! The WMF is currently developing new tools to make new page patrolling much easier. Whether you have patrolled many pages or only a few, we now need to know about your experience. The survey takes only 6 minutes, and the information you provide will not be shared with third parties other than to assist us in analyzing the results of the survey; the WMF will not use the information to identify you.

  • If this invitation also appears on other accounts you may have, please complete the survey once only.
  • If this has been sent to you in error and you have never patrolled new pages, please ignore it.

Please click HERE to take part.
Many thanks in advance for providing this essential feedback.


You are receiving this invitation because you have patrolled new pages. For more information, please see NPP Survey

Delivered by MessageDeliveryBot on behalf of Wiki Media Foundation at 11:13, 25 October 2011 (UTC).

You're invited! Wikipedia Loves Libraries DC[edit]

Wikipedia Loves Libraries DC & edit-a-thon
MLK Library.jpg

Wikipedia Loves Libraries comes to DC on Saturday, November 5th, from 1-5pm, at the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial Library.

We will be holding an edit-a-thon, working together to improve Wikipedia content related to DC history, arts, civil rights, or whatever suits your interests. There may also be opportunities to help with scanning historic photos plus some swag!

You're invited and we hope to see you there!

RSVP + more details!


Note: You can remove your name from the DC meetup invite list here. -- Message delivered by AudeBot (talk) 18:33, 31 October 2011 (UTC), on behalf of User:Aude

National Archives ExtravaSCANza[edit]

You are invited to the National Archives ExtravaSCANza, taking place every day next week from January 4–7, Wednesday to Saturday, in College Park, Maryland (Washington, DC metro area). Come help me cap off my stint as Wikipedian in Residence at the National Archives with one last success!

This will be a casual working event in which Wikipedians are getting together to scan interesting documents at the National Archives related to a different theme each day—currently: spaceflight, women's suffrage, Chile, and battleships—for use on Wikipedia/Wikimedia Commons. The event is being held on multiple days, and in the evenings and weekend, so that as many locals and out-of-towners from nearby regions1 as possible can come. Please join us! Dominic·t 01:08, 30 December 2011 (UTC)

1 Wikipedians from DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Newark, New York City, and Pittsburgh have been invited.

National Archives ExtravaSCANza.png

Singularity by 2020[edit]

Hey. I stumbled upon your userpage by accident, and I am curious why do you think it will happen so early. I would put my money on somewhere in 20-40 years. --Piotr Konieczny aka Prokonsul Piotrus| talk to me 04:42, 6 February 2012 (UTC)

Hi, Piotr. I cannot provide a rational defense of the date, only of the concept. Singulatarians generally accept one or the other of two models: the "swell" or the "spike," as described in Damien Broderick's book The Spike. The "swell" assumes that progress will continue incrementally just as has occurred in the past. I find the "spike" model to be much more likely. In this model, The infrastructure gradually improves until it can support a sudden breakthrough to Superintelligence, the event known as the "singularity.". Then some minor catalytic addition occurs that creates a self-improving autonomous system. This system then evolves abruptly, probably over the course of a few hours or days. In this model, not much is visible to most observers prior to the transition. So, it comes down to a feeling as to what constitutes a sufficient infrastructure and when will that infrastructure be available. A minimally-sufficient infrastructure would require a significant and unlikely catalyst, probably purposely developed. As the infrastructure becomes richer, a broader range of progressively simpler catalysts are possible, and eventually the infrastructure becomes so rich that an unintentional (but improbable) catalyst suffices. Richer still, and and increasingly broad range of increasingly more probable unintentional catalysts suffice. In this model, the singularity is inevitable unless humanity ceases to exist. But the richness of the infrastructure is increasing at an exponential rate. My unsupported guess is that we are well past the minimally-sufficient infrastructure and are at or near the point where an improbable accident is possible, or where a deliberate breakthrough could be initiated by an individual working alone with only normal access to the Internet. Major elements of the infrastructure include massive computing capability (including clouds and supercomputers) increasingly rich knowledge bases (including Wikipedia,) and increasingly sophisticated analytics (including search engines and Watson.) -Arch dude (talk) 23:38, 6 February 2012 (UTC)

You're invited to DC Meetup #28![edit]

DC Meetup #28: March 10 at Capitol City Brewery
Beer Bernard 1.jpg

DC Wikipedia meetup #28 is on Saturday, March 10, 2012, from 7pm on at Capitol City Brewery in downtown DC. (11th & H St NW).

Join us for an evening of socializing, chatting about Wikipedia, discussing Wikimedia DC activities and the latest preparations for Wikimania 2012. (RSVP + details)


Note: You can remove your name from the DC meetup invite list here. -- Message delivered by AudeBot (talk) 02:52, 7 March 2012 (UTC), on behalf of User:Aude

You're invited: Smithsonian Institution Women in Science Edit-a-Thon![edit]

Who should come? You should. Really.
Smithsonian logo color.svg
She Blinded Me with Science: Smithsonian Women in Science Edit-a-Thon will be held on Friday, March 30, 2012 at the Smithsonian Archives in Washington, D.C. This edit-a-thon will focus on improving and writing Wikipedia content about women from the Smithsonian who contributed to the sciences. It will be followed by a happy hour meetup! We look forward to seeing you there!

Sarah (talk) 22:26, 7 March 2012 (UTC)

Template:Worldcat id[edit]

I've left a comment at Template talk:Worldcat id wondering if the template's mostly now effectively superseded by Template:Authority control. Wondered what you thought! Dsp13 (talk) 20:10, 29 March 2012 (UTC)

Wikimedia DC Meetup & Dinner[edit]

Wikimedia DC.svg Please join us for a Wikimedia DC Meetup & Dinner on Saturday, May 5. This will be a great opportunity to meet other Wikimedians from the DC area, discuss upcoming Wikimedia DC activities and events, and have fun over dinner and drinks. All ages are welcome! Kirill [talk] 03:56, 18 April 2012 (UTC)

You're invited: Smithsonian Institution Archives Edit-a-thon![edit]

S. Dillon Ripley & Uncle Beazley.jpg Please join us for the second Smithsonian Institution Archives Edit-a-thon! This event will focus on Smithsonian history including the history of the Institution's museums, archives, research centers and the people behind them. This will be a great opportunity to learn about the Archives, work within them & with staff, and learn more about the world's largest museum complex. We hope you'll join us on Friday, May 25. Please sign up here! Sarah (talk) 21:40, 7 May 2012 (UTC)
Note: You received this message because you were listed here. If you no longer wish to receive messages of this nature, please remove yourself from that list.

Large-scale constructs[edit]

You are invited to contribute to the discussion at Wikipedia talk:Plagiarism#Large-scale constructs. Aymatth2 (talk) 23:15, 23 May 2012 (UTC)

Sorry to have written your userpage by mistake![edit]

I replied to the OCLC thread there without realising it was your user page not your talk page... Sorry! Dsp13 (talk) 08:51, 31 May 2012 (UTC) Crikey, in all my excitement I didn't notice I was posting to your user page instead of the talk page. What a blunder, I'm so sorry. I'll move it now. Maximiliankleinoclc (talk) 17:53, 31 May 2012 (UTC)

Since I personally never ever make mistakes, I am mortally offended by the horrible lapse. :-) More seriously: I implemented the origonal Worldcat ID template, and I am gratified by it evolution. If my user page, and my talk page, can serve in a small capacity, that is wonderful. -Arch dude (talk) 23:23, 31 May 2012 (UTC)
Alright this discussion is now crudely moved to Authority Control template talk page. Maximiliankleinoclc (talk) 21:03, 1 June 2012 (UTC)

Authority Control Integration[edit]

Hi, I've been researching the intersection of Wikipedia and Authority Control, and have just recently made a Village Pump Proposal to create a bot to expand the usage of a template. I've identified you as someone in the sphere of interest to this project and would appreciate your input at the Village Pump. Thanks, Maximiliankleinoclc (talk) 18:34, 18 June 2012 (UTC)

You're invited to Masterpiece Museum Edit-a-Thon![edit]

"Masterpiece Museum" Edit-a-Thon at the Smithsonian American Art Museum
2008-0601-DC-NatlPortGall.jpg

The Smithsonian American Art Museum and Wikimedia DC present the "Masterpiece Museum" Edit-a-Thon. Drawing from their vast vaults of art, the caretakers of the Smithsonian American Art Museum have meticulously drawn forth canvas jewels to import into Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia articles. The museum directors and staff are excited about this project, and would love to have experienced Wikimedians help in the effort! Kirill [talk] 17:56, 29 July 2012 (UTC)

When
  • August 10, 2012, 10 AM - 4 PM
Where
  • Smithsonian American Art Museum, 7th & F St NW, Washington, DC
Signup

Backstage at the Smithsonian Libraries[edit]

Backstage at the Smithsonian Libraries is part of Wikipedia Loves Libraries 2012, the second annual continent-wide campaign to bring Wikipedia and libraries together with on-site events. Running this fall through October and November, libraries (and archives) will open their doors to help build a lasting relationship with their local Wikipedian community.

Organized by Wikimedia DC, this event will take place on October 12, 2012, and will include new editor training, a "backstage pass" tour of the National Museum of Natural History, and an edit-a-thon. Everyone is welcome to attend!

Kirill [talk] 18:40, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

Mr Dude[edit]

Thanks for the trouble you've taken over the Passchendaele page.Keith-264 (talk) 07:53, 26 September 2012 (UTC)

PS the Nivelle offensive may have failed to achieve its strategic objectives but it put a considerable strain on the Germans. 29,000 prisoners suggest operational success and substantial tactical superiority.Keith-264 (talk) 08:56, 26 September 2012 (UTC)
No argument. However, in the context of the lede of the Passchendaele page, the effect was (apparently) to activate Haig's "proviso," which was conditioned on teh failure of the Neville offensive to meet its objectives. But that is too much for the lede, and the best condensation in this context is "failure." -Arch dude (talk)
Fair enough.Keith-264 (talk) 10:56, 29 September 2012 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for September 29[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Henry Trimen, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page British (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 10:42, 29 September 2012 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for October 28[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited James Montgomery, 4th baronet of Skelmorlie, you added links pointing to the disambiguation pages Jacobite, Burnet and John Dalrymple (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 01:15, 28 October 2012 (UTC)

DC Meetup #33[edit]

December 10 is Ada Lovelace's birthday! Not only was she the world's first computer programmer, but also the world's first female open source developer! Come celebrate with Wikimedia District of Columbia at Busboys & Poets for an informal get together!

The Washington, DC event will be held on Monday, December 10, 2012 at Busboys & Poets on 5th St NW & K St NW near Mt Vernon Square. The area is easily accessible by the Red Line Chinatown stop and the Yellow Line and Green Line Mt Vernon Square stop, as well as by WMATA buses.

Kirill [talk] 14:19, 10 December 2012 (UTC)

Wikimedia DC Holiday Party and Wiki Loves Monuments Exhibition[edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC and four other local media nonprofits—the National Press Club's Young Members Committee, 100Reporters, IRE and the Fund for Investigative Journalism—in winding down another year with a night of well-mannered frivolity.

The festivities will take place on Friday evening from 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM in the Zenger Room on the 13th Floor of the National Press Club, located on 529 14th Street NW, near Metro Center. There will be meat and vegetarian appetizers as well as a cash bar with specially reduced drink prices all night long. In addition, we will be exhibiting the finalists of the Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest at the event.

Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 04:43, 13 December 2012 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for January 10[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Constitution of the United Kingdom, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Prorogue (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 11:29, 10 January 2013 (UTC)

help request[edit]

Hi there. I see you have access to DNB/ODNB, so I'm hoping you'll be able to help on this. There's a copyright investigation at Wikipedia:Contributor copyright investigations/Hydeblake that primarily involves wording lifted from that source. Because I don't have access and not many others do, it's one I can't help out much at. There aren't too many left to fix, but if you're able to at least look through the remaining biographies and see if anything matches up, then that would be a great help. Wizardman 19:33, 8 February 2013 (UTC)

Ah, I think i misinterpreted the split between the two. Any violations are just from the latter, so disregard my request. Wizardman 19:50, 8 February 2013 (UTC)

DNB title to wstitle[edit]

When you make an edit like this please leave the page numbers in the pages= field. -- PBS (talk) 01:09, 11 February 2013 (UTC)

Personally I think it better to leave them in the DNB citation, for four reasons. It meets the requirements of WP:CITE and is useful with hard copies, it gives an indication of how large the biography on the DNB is, and why remove such a small amount of information from an article that may be of use to someone?

As for DNBIE it is not broken I intended it to work that way, as it helps with the development of articles, and the link is provided manually at the end of every DNBIE entry, which can still be accessed via the page number. At some point I hope that the DNBIE will be added to Wikisource. As there is already a crude copy at Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles/DNB Epitome -- PBS (talk) 01:09, 11 February 2013 (UTC)

DC happy hour on Thursday, February 28![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for Happy Hour at the Capitol City Brewery at Metro Center on Thursday, February 28 at 6 p.m. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, see Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 34. Hope to see you there! Harej (talk) 02:29, 24 February 2013 (UTC)

Invitation to a discussion: Wikipedia and legislative data[edit]

Hi Arch dude, since you are interested in meetups in DC, I'd like to invite you to attend the Cato Institute's "Wikipedia and Legislative Data" events on March 14. (There's also an all day workshop on March 15; let me know if you are interested, we may be able to add more people.)

There will be an introduction to Wikipedia and open edit-a-thon in the afternoon, and a Sunshine Week Reception in the evening. I hope you can make it!

Hope to see you there! -Pete (talk) 19:00, 1 March 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, March 9![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Guapo's at Tenleytown-AU on Saturday, March 9 at 5 PM All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 35. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 14:05, 4 March 2013 (UTC)

You are invited to a Women in the Arts Meetup & Edit-a-thon on Friday, March 29[edit]

In honor of Women's History Month, the Smithsonian and the National Museum of Women in the Arts are teaming up to organize a Women in the Arts Meetup & Edit-a-thon on Friday, March 29, 2013 from 10:00am - 5:00pm. The event is focused on encouraging women editors while improving Wikipedia entries about women artists and art world figures. This event is free of charge, but participation is limited to 20 volunteers, so RSVP today! Sarasays (talk) 23:20, 20 March 2013 (UTC)

Spider mite[edit]

Sorry, I started my copyright review of Spider mite without checking the talk page first. In the last hundred I've reviewed this is the first where there was some discussion on the talk page, but I will start making it a practice to check the talk page first. That said, I think the facts are clear, the Colorado site was copied from, and should not have been. The ideal solution is probably a rewrite, but given the extreme backlog at wp:cp, I am limiting my actions to removal, and minor rewrite when possible. Sorry to leave it with some further cleanup needed.--SPhilbrick(Talk) 12:23, 30 March 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, April 13![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) on Saturday, April 13 at 5:30 PM All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 36. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 19:10, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

You are invited to the "All Things GW" editathon on Saturday, April 20[edit]

The "All Things GW" editathon on Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. is a rare chance to go behind the scenes in the University Archives of the GW Libraries and use their unique resources to research and update Wikipedia pages related to The George Washington University and the Foggy Bottom neighborhood. Did you miss our last D.C. history editathon? This is your is your chance to come edit with wiki-friends using different great collection! The event includes a behind-the-scenes tour of the University Archives and a show-and-tell of some of its most interesting treasures, snacks, and the editathon.

Participation is limited to 30 volunteers, so RSVP today! Dominic·t 07:22, 15 April 2013 (UTC)

DC meetups on April 19 and 20[edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for two exciting events this weekend:

On the evening of Friday, April 19, we're hosting our first-ever WikiSalon at our K Street office. The WikiSalon will be a twice-monthly informal meetup and collaborative editing event to help build the community of Wikimedia enthusiasts here in DC; please join us for its inaugural session. Light refreshments will be provided.

On Saturday, April 20, we've partnered with the George Washington University to host the All Things GW Edit-a-Thon at the Teamsters Labor History Research Center. Please join us for behind-the-scenes tours of the University Archives and help edit articles about GWU history.

We look forward to seeing you at one or both of these events! Kirill [talk] 20:15, 15 April 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, May 11![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) on Saturday, May 11 at 5:30 PM. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see the meetup page. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 23:15, 7 May 2013 (UTC)

DC WikiSalon on May 24[edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for our next DC WikiSalon, which will be held on the evening of May 24 at our K Street office.

The WikiSalon an informal gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts, who come together to discuss the Wikimedia projects and collaboratively edit. There's no set agenda, and guests are welcome to recommend articles for the group to edit or edit on their own. Light refreshments will be provided.

We look forward to seeing you there! Kirill [talk] 18:30, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

Webinar / edit-a-thon at the National Library of Medicine (NLM)[edit]

Join us at the NLM next week, either in person or online, to learn about NLM resources, hear some great speakers, and do some editing!

organized by Wiki Project Med

On Tuesday, 28 May there will be a community Wikipedia meeting at the United States National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, Maryland - with a second on Thursday, 30 May for those who can't make it on Tuesday. You can participate either in-person, or via an online webinar. If you attend in person, USB sticks (but not external drives) are ok to use.

Please go to the event page to get more information, including a detailed program schedule.

If you are interested in participating, please register by sending an email to pmhmeet@gmail.com. Please indicate if you are coming in person or if you will be joining us via the webinar. After registering, you will receive additional information about how to get to our campus (if coming in-person) and details about how to join the webinar. Klortho (talk) 00:55, 25 May 2013 (UTC)

DC WikiSalon on June 6[edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for our next DC WikiSalon, which will be held on the evening of Thursday, June 6 at our K Street office.

The WikiSalon an informal gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts, who come together to discuss the Wikimedia projects and collaboratively edit. There's no set agenda, and guests are welcome to recommend articles for the group to edit or edit on their own. Light refreshments will be provided.

We look forward to seeing you there! Kirill [talk] 12:01, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

Have time on Saturday?[edit]

I'm sorry for the last-minute notice, but on Saturday, June 8, from 3 to 6 PM, Wikimedia DC and the Cato Institute are hosting a Legislative Data Meetup. We will discuss the work done so far by WikiProject U.S. Federal Government Legislative Data to put data from Congress onto Wikipedia, as well as what more needs to be done. If you have ideas you'd like to contribute, or if you're just curious and feel like meeting up with other Wikipedians, you are welcome to come! Be sure to RSVP here if you're interested.

I hope to see you there!

(You can unsubscribe from future notifications for D.C.-area events by removing your name from this list.)

Harej (talk) 04:49, 6 June 2013 (UTC)

Do I know you?[edit]

I left Pasadena when the 6500 was moved to City Industry - did we overlap?

Ivan Godard (DCALGOL, CANDE)

I worked for the Center for Naval Analyses (near Washington, DC) in the mid-to-late 1970s on a B6700. I had earler interacted with B5500s the an Army command called MTMTS, both in Washington and in Brooklyn, NY. That's it for my Burroughs experience. -Arch dude (talk) 17:20, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, June 15![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) on Saturday, June 15 at 5:30 PM. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see the meetup page. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 20:21, 10 June 2013 (UTC)

Join us this Sunday for the Great American Wiknic![edit]

Wiknic logo.svg Great American Wiknic DC at Meridian Hill Park WikiNYC-picnic-ragesoss.jpg
You are invited to the Great American Wiknic DC at the James Buchanan Memorial at Meridian Hill Park. We would love to see you there, so sign up and bring something fun for the potluck! :)

Boilerplate message generously borrowed from Wikimedia NYC. To unsubscribe from future DC area event notifications, remove your name from this list.

Harej (talk) 16:13, 19 June 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, July 13![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) on Saturday, July 13 at 6:00 PM. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see the meetup page. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 00:54, 6 July 2013 (UTC)

You're Invited: Luce and Lunder Edit-a-thon at the Smithsonian[edit]

SAAM facade.jpg
American Art Museum
Luce and Lunder Edit-a-thon at the
Smithsonian American Art Museum

You're invited to the Luce and Lunder Edit-a-thon, part of a series of edit-a-thons organized by the Smithsonian American Art Museum to add and expand articles about American art and artists on Wikipedia.

This event will include a catered lunch and special tours of the Luce Foundation Center for American Art and the Lunder Conservation Center at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.

9:15 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 19, 2013
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Meet at G Street Lobby (9th St. & G St. NW, Washington, D.C.)

Capacity is limited, so please sign up today!

If you would not like to receive future messages about meetups, please remove your name from our distribution list.
Message delivered by Dominic·t 23:51, 11 July 2013 (UTC).
Luce Foundation Center for American Art 13.jpg
Luce Foundation Center

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, August 24![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) on Saturday, August 24 at 6:00 PM. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see the meetup page. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 04:35, 8 August 2013 (UTC)

Are you free on Wednesday? Join us at the Wikimedia DC WikiSalon![edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for our next DC WikiSalon, which will be held on the evening of Wednesday, August 24 at our K Street office.

The WikiSalon an informal gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts, who come together to discuss the Wikimedia projects and collaboratively edit. There's no set agenda, and guests are welcome to recommend articles for the group to edit or edit on their own. Light refreshments will be provided.

We look forward to seeing you there! Kirill [talk] 12:11, 19 August 2013 (UTC)

Meet up with local Wikipedians on September 14![edit]

Are you free on Saturday, September 14? If so, please join Wikimedia DC and local Wikipedians for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) at 6:00 PM. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages are welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please visit the meetup page. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 19:32, 25 August 2013 (UTC)

Are you free next Thursday? Join us at the Wikimedia DC WikiSalon![edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for our next WikiSalon, which will be held from 7 to 9 PM on Thursday, September 5 at our K Street office.

The WikiSalon is an informal gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts, who come together to discuss the Wikimedia projects and collaboratively edit. There's no set agenda, and guests are welcome to recommend articles for the group to edit or edit on their own. Light refreshments will be provided.

We look forward to seeing you there! Kirill [talk] 15:31, 28 August 2013 (UTC)

Are you free next Thursday? Join us at the Wikimedia DC WikiSalon![edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for our next WikiSalon, which will be held from 7 to 9 PM on Thursday, September 26 at our K Street office.

The WikiSalon is an informal gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts, who come together to discuss the Wikimedia projects and collaboratively edit. There's no set agenda, and guests are welcome to recommend articles for the group to edit or edit on their own. Light refreshments will be provided.

We look forward to seeing you there! Kirill [talk] 06:27, 17 September 2013 (UTC)

Are you free on Sunday? Join us for a special Wikimedia DC WikiSalon![edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for a special WikiSalon at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library's Digital Commons Center. We will gather at 3 PM on Sunday, October 13, 2013 to discuss an important topic: what can Wikipedia and the DC area do to help each other? We hope to hear your thoughts and suggestions; if you have an idea you would like to pursue, please let us know and we will help!

Following the WikiSalon, we will be having dinner at a nearby restaurant, Ella's Wood Fired Pizza.

If you're interested in attending, please sign up at the event page. We look forward to seeing you there! Kirill [talk] 02:43, 8 October 2013 (UTC)

Comparison tool for the Gutenberg author lists[edit]

This came up yesterday. On a page like Wikipedia:Project Gutenberg author list/Page 01, which shows you in the page history as keenest to maintain it, there is the "Compare" link, something like http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/fix_gutenberg.php?lang=en&author=L.+A.+Abbott. As of now it is broken, and the tools have been migrated to Wikimedia Labs, so my first thought was to ask @Magnus Manske: about where the upgrade would be. In fact it is all 7.5 years old now, and there is no code to be found. The next step is to ask what functionality would be useful there. So I imagined you'd be someone to ask about that. Charles Matthews (talk) 13:38, 23 October 2013 (UTC)

Disambiguation link fixing one-day contest[edit]

I have decided to put on a mini-contest within the November 2013 monthly disambiguation contest, on Saturday, November 23 (UTC). I will personally give a $20 Amazon.com gift card to the disambiguator who fixes the most links on that server-day (see the project page for details on scoring points). Since we are not geared up to do an automated count for that day, at 00:00, 23 November 2013 (UTC) (which is 7:00 PM on November 22, EST), I'll take a screenshot of the project page leaderboard. I will presume that anyone who is not already listed on the leaderboard has precisely nine edits. At 01:00, 24 November 2013 (UTC) (8:00 PM on November 23, EST), I'll take a screenshot of the leaderboard at that time (the extra hour is to give the board time to update), and I will determine from that who our winner is. I will credit links fixed by turning a WP:DABCONCEPT page into an article, but you'll have to let me know me that you did so. Here's to a fun contest. Note that according to the Daily Disambig, we currently have under 256,000 disambiguation links to be fixed. If everyone in the disambiguation link fixers category were to fix 500 links, we would have them all done - so aim high! Cheers! bd2412 T 01:48, 18 November 2013 (UTC)

Meetups coming up in DC![edit]

Hey!

You are invited to two upcoming events in DC:

  • Meetup at Capitol City Brewery on Saturday, January 25 at 6 PM. Please join us for dinner, drinks, socializing, and discussing Wikimedia DC activities and events. All are welcome! RSVP on the linked page or through Meetup.
  • Art and Feminism Edit-a-Thon on Saturday, February 1 from Noon – 5 PM. Join us as we improve articles on notable women in history! All are welcome, regardless of age or level of editing experience. RSVP on the linked page or through Meetup.

I hope to see you there!

(Note: If you do not wish to receive talk page messages for DC meetups, you are welcome to remove your username from this page.)

Harej (talk) 00:06, 16 January 2014 (UTC)

Coming up in February![edit]

Hello there!

Our February WikiSalon is coming up on Sunday, February 23. Join us at our gathering of Wikipedia enthusiasts at the Kogod Courtyard of the National Portrait Gallery with an optional dinner after. As usual, all are welcome. Care to join us?

Also, if you are available, there is an American Art Edit-a-thon being held at the Smithsonian American Art Museum with Professor Andrew Lih's COMM-535 class at American University on Tuesday, February 11 from 2 to 5 PM. Please RSVP on the linked page if you are interested.

If you have any ideas or preferences for meetups, please let us know at Wikipedia talk:Meetup/DC.

Thank you, and hope to see you at our upcoming events! Harej (talk) 18:41, 4 February 2014 (UTC)

DC Meetups in March[edit]

Happy March!

Though we have a massive snowstorm coming up, spring is just around the corner! Personally, I am looking forward to warmer weather.

Wikimedia DC is looking forward to a spring full of cool and exciting activities. In March, we have coming up:

  • Evening WikiSalon on Wednesday, March 12 from 7 PM – 9 PM. Meet up with Wikipedians for coffee at the Cove co-working space in Dupont Circle! If you cannot make it in the evening, join us at our...
  • March Meetup on Sunday, March 23 from 3 PM – 6 PM. Our monthly weekend meetup, same place as last month. Meet really cool and interesting people!
  • Women in the Arts 2014 meetup and edit-a-thon on Sunday, March 30 from 10 AM – 5 PM. Our second annual Women in the Arts edit-a-thon, held at the National Museum of Women in the Arts. Free lunch will be served!

We hope to see you at our upcoming events! If you have any questions, feel free to ask on my talk page.

Harej (talk) 05:10, 3 March 2014 (UTC)

An exciting month of wiki events![edit]

Hello there,

I am pleased to say that April will be a very exciting month for Wikipedia in Washington, DC. We have a lot of different events coming up, so you will have a lot to choose from.

First, a reminder that our second annual Women in the Arts Edit-a-Thon will take place on Sunday, March 30 at the National Museum of Women in the Arts.

Coming up in April, we have our first-ever Open Government WikiHack with the Sunlight Foundation on April 5–6! We are working together to use open government data to improve the Wikimedia projects, and we would love your help. All are welcome, regardless of coding or editing experience. We will also be having a happy hour the day before, with refreshments courtesy of the Sunlight Foundation.

On Friday, April 11 we are having our first edit-a-thon ever with the Library of Congress. The Africa Collection Edit-a-Thon will focus on the Library's African and Middle East Reading Room. It'll be early in the morning, but it's especially worth it if you're interested in improving Wikipedia's coverage of African topics.

The following day, we are having our second annual Wiki Loves Capitol Hill training. We will discuss policy issues relevant to Wikimedia and plan for our day of outreach to Congressional staffers that will take place during the following week.

There are other meetups in the works, so be sure to check our meetup page with the latest. I hope to see you at some of these events!

All the best,
James Hare

(To unsubscribe, remove your username here.) 01:29, 26 March 2014 (UTC)

Two edit-a-thons coming up![edit]

Hello there!

I'm pleased to tell you about two upcoming edit-a-thons:

  • This Tuesday, April 29, from 2:30 to 5:30 PM, we have the Freer and Sackler edit-a-thon. (Sorry for the short notice!)
  • On Saturday, May 10 we have the Wikipedia APA edit-a-thon, in partnership with the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center, from 10 AM to 5 PM.

We have more stuff coming up in May and June, so make sure to keep a watch on the DC meetup page. As always, if you have any recommendations or requests, please leave a note on the talk page.


Best,

James Hare

(To unsubscribe, remove your username here.) 20:38, 25 April 2014 (UTC)

Meet up with us[edit]

Happy May!

There are a few meetups in DC this month, including an edit-a-thon later this month. Check it out:

  • On Thursday, May 15 come to our evening WikiSalon at the Cove co-working space in Dupont Circle. If you're available Thursday evening, feel free to join us!
  • Or if you prefer a Saturday night dinner gathering, we also have our May Meetup at Capitol City Brewing Company. (Beer! Non-beer things too!)
  • You are also invited to the Federal Register edit-a-thon at the National Archives later this month.

Come one, come all!

Best,

James Hare

(To unsubscribe, remove your username here.) 20:20, 10 May 2014 (UTC)

Washington, DC meetups in June[edit]

Greetings!

Wikimedia DC.svg

Wikimedia DC has yet another busy month in June. Whether you're a newcomer to Wikipedia or have years of experience, we're happy to see you come. Here's what's coming up:

  • On Wednesday, June 11 from 7 to 9 PM come to the WikiSalon at the Cove co-working space. Hang out with Wikipedia enthusiasts!
  • Saturday, June 14 is the Frederick County History Edit-a-Thon from 11 AM to 4 PM. Help improve local history on Wikipedia.
  • The following Saturday, June 21, is the June Meetup. Dinner and drinks with Wikipedians!
  • Come on Tuesday, June 24 for the Wikipedia in Your Library edit-a-thon at GWU on local and LGBT history.
  • Last but not least, on Sunday, June 29 we have the Phillips Collection Edit-a-Thon in honor of the Made in America exhibit.

Wikipedia is better with friends, so why not come out to an event?

Best,

James Hare

(To unsubscribe, remove your username here.) 01:41, 31 May 2014 (UTC)

The Great American Wiknic and other events in July[edit]

Wikinic 2013 washington d.c. 02.JPG

I am pleased to announce our fourth annual picnic, the Great American Wiknic, will take place at Meridian Hill Park in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, July 13 from 1 to 5 PM (rain date: July 20). We will be hanging out by the statue of Dante Alighieri, a statue that was donated to the park in 1921 as a tribute to Italian Americans. Read more about the statue on Wikipedia. If you would like to sign up for the picnic, you can do so here. When signing up, say what you’re going to bring!

July will also feature the second annual Great American Wiknic in Frederick, Maryland. This year’s Frederick picnic will take place on Sunday, July 6 at Baker Park. Sign up here for the Frederick picnic.

What else is going on in July? We have the American Chemical Society Edit-a-Thon on Saturday, July 12, dedicated to notable chemists, and our monthly WikiSalon on Wednesday, July 16.

We hope to see you at our upcoming events!

Best,

James Hare

(To unsubscribe, remove your username here.) 21:22, 30 June 2014 (UTC)

Battle of Fort Stevens Edit-a-Thon![edit]

Company F, 3rd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, in Fort Stevens, Washington DC (ca. 1861).jpg

Greetings!

Sorry for the last minute update, but our friends at the DC Historical Society have scheduled a Battle of Fort Stevens Edit-a-Thon to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Civil War battle fought in the District. The event will last from noon to 2 PM on Wednesday, July 30. Hope you can make it!

Best,

James Hare

(To unsubscribe, remove your username here.) 21:16, 23 July 2014 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of Andrew Skilleter[edit]

Ambox warning yellow.svg

The article Andrew Skilleter has been proposed for deletion because of the following concern:

Does not appear to meet WP:ARTIST, WP:GNG or any other part of WP:NOTABILITY criteria

While all constructive contributions to Wikipedia are appreciated, content or articles may be deleted for any of several reasons.

You may prevent the proposed deletion by removing the {{proposed deletion/dated}} notice, but please explain why in your edit summary or on the article's talk page.

Please consider improving the article to address the issues raised. Removing {{proposed deletion/dated}} will stop the proposed deletion process, but other deletion processes exist. In particular, the speedy deletion process can result in deletion without discussion, and articles for deletion allows discussion to reach consensus for deletion. Boleyn (talk) 19:01, 26 August 2014 (UTC)

Wikipedia and YOUR History: Taking Control of the Internet[edit]

Come one and come all. To a presentation at the Laurel Historical Society about how you can help verify, validate, and edit the information that is on the front line of local history.

Picture your self leading the masses to improve Wikimedia one article at a time.
  • Show the Internet who is the better editor.
  • Be the creator of culture that you know you are.
  • Spread the knowledge of noteworthy people who no one but you cares about.
  • Lead the charge to a better Wikipedia --- eventually.


Geraldshields11 (talk) 02:07, 6 September 2014 (UTC)

Wikipedia and YOUR History: Taking Control of the Internet[edit]

See you at the Laurel Pool Room, 9th and Main Street, Laurel, MD on Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM EST. See http://www.meetup.com/Wikimedia-DC/events/205494212/ for more information. Geraldshields11 (talk) 02:13, 6 September 2014 (UTC)

Wikimedia DC invites revolutionaries, free thinkers, and other sundry editors to a DC WikiSalon[edit]

The WikiSalon is a special meetup usually held during the first and third full weeks of every month, from 7 PM to 9 PM. It's an informal gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts, who come together to discuss Wikimedia wikis and collaboratively edit. There's no set agenda, and guests are welcome to recommend articles for the group to edit or edit on their own.

If you're coming by Metro, the closest station is Dupont Circle (on the Red Line). If you're driving, a lot of parking opens up downtown after 6:30 PM, so finding a parking space (even a free one) should be easy. Once you've found the building, go to Cove on the second floor. We will be in the conference room.

When: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Where: The Cove, Dupont Circle, 1730 Connecticut Avenue NW, 2nd floor, 20009, DC


For more information, see http://www.meetup.com/Wikimedia-DC/events/205500822/


My best regards, Geraldshields11 (talk) 02:25, 6 September 2014 (UTC)

Wikimedia DC's Wonderful meetups[edit]

Wikimedia DC's Upcoming meetups

  • Thursday, September 11: “Wikipedia and YOUR History: Taking Control of the Internet, One Article at a Time!”
    A presentation at the Laurel Historical Society about how you can help verify, validate, and edit the information that is on the front line of local history. Laurel Pool Room, 9th and Main Street in Laurel, MD. 7 PM.
  • Wednesday, September 17: WikiSalon
    Come for the pizza, stay for the conversation. 7 PM – 9 PM
  • Saturday, September 20: September Meetup
    Get dinner and drinks with fellow Wikipedians! 6 PM
  • Sunday, September 21: Laurel History Edit-a-Thon
    Local history for Wikipedia! 10:15 AM – 4 PM
  • Saturday, September 27 – Sunday, September 28: Please RSVP for the Open Government WikiHack at Eventbrite by clicking on the link. The National Archives and Records Administration and Wikimedia DC are teaming up to come up with solutions that help integrate government data into Wikipedia. 10:30 AM – 5 PM each day

My best regards, Geraldshields11 (talk) 22:49, 6 September 2014 (UTC)