- User talk:Bladesmulti/Mentorship - Any tips/advises on recent edits.
- User talk:Bladesmulti/Grammar - Any copy editing, grammar, formatting tips.
- User:Bladesmulti/Issues & articles - Any update about recent issues.
My own computer-problems are mostly over, though not entirely. :-) I see you have answered more questions, that is good. Thanks. I will start responding, and organizing them. If you get to the end of your mentorship-questions for the day, and still have more time to work on wikipedia, you can work on these things:
- Answering older questions, that were skipped in the past. For example, some of the grammar-questions, and some of the policy-questions.
- Asking new questions. If there is a content-dispute that you are worried about, and want the co-mentors to explain, ask away. We may not spend much time on such questions now, while we are trying to concentrate on Ginwala. Still, it is a good idea to get such questions written down so that they are not forgotten later.
- Work on the Ginwala-topic. Follow the normal procedures.
|Procedure: evaluate which sources are WP:RS, summarize what the WP:RS say, structure that information, and distill the essence|
Now, of course, most articles that you work on will already be written. These procedures cover the entire process. In practice, you might just be dropping in for a short while, to add one sentence backed up by one source: this is what you did at Hindi Art, for instance. Or you might only be interested in one aspect of the larger topic: this is what you did at Voltaire#Islam for instance.
However, even if you are only working on a narrow portion of an article, you should follow these procedures anyways. Even if you are only interested in a particular subset. Because the goal of working on articles is to improve the encyclopedia: if you skip phases, that is unlikely to happen. The phases are circular: after phase four, every article goes back to phase one, which is to say, more sources can always turn up. After we practice applying the procedures to Ginwala, we can apply the same procedures to other topics. HTH. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 13:47, 6 March 2014 (UTC)
- Padamji Ginwala can be expanded a bit. There should be a page for talk. I will make one, later. Following information can be added to the page.
- Padamji_Ginwala#Lawyer, first sentence should be "Padamji Ginwala completed his study of Law from Trinity Hall University of Cambridge.
- Padamji_Ginwala#In_Burma_and_British_India, his speech in the Indian Legislative Assembly on 5th March 1923 can be provided, it is about system of taxation, it goes like:-
What takes place in the office of the Honourable the Finance Member every year when he prepares the revenue side of the Budget I can well imagine. He sits in his chair. He has got three men generally with him. On his right is perhaps Mr. Cook, on his left is Mr. Ayyar, and in front of him Mr. Sim. Then he asks, ' How much do these people require ? ' They say, * Oh, this year they want 80 crores 1 of rupees only from taxation'. 'Is that so ? What did they have last year ?' '64 crores.' ' Very well. Give me a copy of the Tariff Act, a copy of the Income Tax Act, and a copy of the Opium and the Salt Acts and a blue pencil.' He takes the blue pencil in his hands and says, ' Here, 11 per cent on this. No. I will put 15 per cent. That will give us 2 crores. Is that not so, Mr. Cook ?' * Yes, approximately that.' Mr. Sim then says, (Income Tax has been rather sterile these last few years. We will try a little super tax on something,' and he adds on something to the super tax. Then he goes through the Opium and Salt Acts, and the same process goes on until he thinks he has secured the additional sixteen crores. I submit that this is not the way in which, any longer, the Indian Budget ought to be prepared. Every country in the world has, at definite periods, undertaken an examination of the taxation of the country with reference to the taxable capacity of the people. They have got figures and they study all the conditions with reference to the requirements of the country. I maintain that though the Finance Department claims to know everything, they have got no data upon which they can determine the taxation with reference to the taxable capacity of the people. There, I submit, is the orthodoxy of the Budget."
Christian POV pusher
A Christian POV pusher keeps on inserting a large section of Christian nonsense at the Bart Ehrman page in clear violation of WP:BLP. Similarly on the Richard Carrier page, he makes all sorts of unfounded assertions in violation of WP:BLP. Please help at both of these pages. RosylynGrock (talk) 03:47, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
- Seems surprising to me. But I must appreciate that you have answered him well enough and I can kind of see why he is not that mannerly in dealing with these subjects. Don't worry, I will have a watch. Bladesmulti (talk) 11:17, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
- See also comments by Tryptofish, here. WP:Administrators'_noticeboard/Incidents#18.104.22.168 22.214.171.124 (talk) 16:46, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
Unfortunately, she is the one who has been answered. The Carrier page has been tagged by somebody - not me and against my wishes - for notifiability, because she has now caused people to think he is an ordinary historian - a low-ranked one at that - and doesn't meet the criteria. I would further add that I do not personally see how random abuse totally disengaged from the subject at hand, including a pointless and swiftly dismissed referral for administrator input, based on Rosylyn Grock's personal prejudices and inability to see Carrier's exact status with a clear eye constitutes an 'answer'.126.96.36.199 (talk) 16:56, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
- Hey again 86, my take is that there are some mistakes on both sides (failure to stick religiously to the sources and/or relying on personal interpretation of the facts), but I'm confident that we will get it sorted out shortly, and all concerned will learn a bit. The article on Carrier has been tagged for wikiNotability (not notifiability :-) ...see WP:N for the gory details, and WP:42 for the short version. To have a dedicated article, Carrier (or any topic!) needs to be covered, specifically and in some depth, in wikiReliable sources... such as the L.A.Times piece, for instance. That piece was about the movie, mostly, but Carrier got a couple paragraphs. Even if Carrier doesn't have a dedicated page at this time (he is only in his 30s after all), he would still be WP:NOTEWORTHY and would merit a subsection of some larger/broader article. The tag for wikiNotability is therefore just a "potential move request" in other words. 188.8.131.52 (talk) 18:48, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
Welcome back, Bladesmulti. :-) CorinneSD and Joshua_Jonathan, do you both still have time to continue working on the mentorship? Bladesmulti has not been through intensive training yet, but appears to still want to edit. Bladesmulti, are you interested in spending some time on the mentorship pages? 184.108.40.206 (talk) 14:06, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
- I'm happy to continue mentoring Bladesmulti. I'm sorry that I haven't been helping much lately; I've been busy. Please tell me the best places to look to find material that Blades has written from which I can create a lesson. CorinneSD (talk) 14:34, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
- Danke. :-) Bladesmulti has been out of town since the 2nd of March, so there is little "new" stuff. Grammar#10 thru #15 still need work, if memory serves. I suggest we work on Bladesmulti making 500 mentorship-related edits (to User_talk:Bladesmulti and the Grammar-subpage and the Mentorship-subpage). That way, we can set a "numeric target" for progress, rather than a number of days. Does this sound good? Currently, I've started Bladesmulti working on a very small and constrained topic, Gaijani Sr and Gaijani Jr. The article already exists, so achieving WP:N is complete. However, we can flesh it out with additional sources, and Bladesmulti can get practice reading sources, understanding what they say, summarizing them, and re-writing to fix problems. See section above. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 16:40, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks 74, I was busy with travelling. I may be online everyday, but not as frequently as before I could. I am not in hurry at all, so obviously my answer is yes.
- Okay, great. In that case, since you aren't sure how much mentorship you'll be able to do per day, I suggest we aim for 500 mentorship-edits. After you have made 500 edits to the mentorship pages, working on one article at a time (no Christian Terrorism! :-) then we can see what sort of progress has been achieved. Does that work for you?
- Your grammar is getting better all the time, I will say. Traveling might have only one 'L' ... but in UK-spelling, I believe it can have 'LL' as you wrote, maybe Corinne can correct me here. :-) The grammar in the second clause of your second sentence needs a little work ("but not as frequently as before I could"). It is perfectly understandable though: I got what you meant, with no problem. Still, for mainspace that portion would be a little rough around the edges. Can you rewrite that bit, please? 18.104.22.168 (talk) 16:40, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
I don't know if Bladesmulti is permitted to edit articles or not. I haven't been keeping up-to-date on the status of the mentorship and number of permitted edits. But I thought you, Bladesmulti, and JJ and 74 also, might help moderate a discussion regarding two items: 1) whether no cities at all, Dhaka only, or Dhaka and Chittagong ought to be mentioned in the lead/lede of Bangladesh, and 2) which photo is more appropriate for the education section. Over the past few days, there have been edits, reverts, and more reverts. The discussions on the Talk page (under more than one section heading) and on the Talk page of User talk:Aditya Kabir (also under more than one section heading), have been approaching acrimony and don't seem to be leading toward resolution. CorinneSD (talk) 18:27, 13 March 2014 (UTC)
- Corinne, you are the co-mentor in charge of whether Bladesmulti can do, or cannot do, anything. This is a fully WP:NOTCOMPULSORY mentorship: Bladesmulti can do as they see fit. Of course, if Bladesmulti goes on in mainspace like usual, I suspect that ES&L or Dougweller would become unhappy, and use their admin-bits to protect wikipedia. So as one of the co-mentors, I have suggested that Bladesmulti focus here exclusively on the talkpage, for his next ~500 edits, and that we pick one subject at a time, starting with Ginwala.
- But please, Corinne, any time you want to do something, as a co-mentor, don't ask whether it is okay, be BOLD. :-) This is also very much a WP:IAR mentorship-system. If you think that Bladesmulti can help with an article, ask his help. If you think that helping on an article will help Bladesmulti's mentorship, then make is so. Our goal here is to get Bladesmulti into habits that will make them a productive wikipedian, and keep him away from AN/I, to the extent that is possible, given the topic-matter he is primarily interested in. I would make one suggestion: if there is any question, in the Bangladesh article, about the current head-count of hindus, make that off-limits for now. Hope this helps. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 01:59, 15 March 2014 (UTC)
- I think you have better idea than this. I have checked few pages that I used to edit, they've got better indeed, while hardly 1-2 or maybe more require some improvement. I never had any conflict there. For now, if I am asked, that what I should do, I would want to submit my completed drafts. I also want to create some new articles. Hope you are fine. Bladesmulti (talk) 05:45, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
- I haven't seen any edits by Bladesmulti in a while. Blades, are you still editing on Wikipedia? Are you just busy, or have you become discouraged by all this mentoring? I am ready to help you with any edits you have made or would like to make. CorinneSD (talk) 16:39, 23 March 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks Hafspajen. Bladesmulti (talk) 05:41, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
- Hafspajen, before 74. would leave wiki he said something before that? Bladesmulti (talk) 20:55, 18 April 2014 (UTC)