User talk:Brion VIBBER

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

I have declared talk page bankruptcy! All old messages deleted. :) --brion (talk) 21:00, 16 June 2009 (UTC)

How to get in touch with me[edit]

Feel free to leave me messages here about articles and such on Wikipedia, but if you need to prod me about a tech issue I might not see your message here. You'll get a speedier response if you track me down elsewhere...

  • Most software issues should get added to our bug tracker.
    Even if you grab ahold of me another way, it's going to be easier for me to keep track of it if it's in here!
  • IRC chat - you'll often find me in #mediawiki or #wikimedia-tech during work hours
  • direct e-mail... if you're really sure :)

Contents

Images[edit]

hi Brion VIBBER,

I wanna be an uploader. What should I do to be a?-- ♫Greatorangepumpkin♫ T 09:59, 7 June 2009 (UTC)

Wait until your account is autoconfirmed. --brion (talk) 21:00, 16 June 2009 (UTC)

Random obesrvation[edit]

Is it just me, or do server problems occur in bundles? Seems like we've had server trouble every day since MJ's death. Ten Pound Hammer, his otters and a clue-bat • (Many ottersOne batOne hammer) 02:11, 3 July 2009 (UTC)

  • My random observation is that you, sir, are now a double talk page bankrupt! ;> Just FYI I asked Lar to take care of that "uploader" userrights issue I queried you about a while back [1]. He suggested I drop you a courtesy note. best regards, –xenotalk 02:13, 4 July 2009 (UTC)
    • Just to follow up, I removed the permission (Heather hasn't been editing since November 2008), but if you disagree with that feel free to ask me to put it back or do so yourself. ++Lar: t/c 00:50, 5 July 2009 (UTC)
It sure does seem like that sometimes. :) --brion (talk) 18:20, 6 July 2009 (UTC)

Russian Spelling for Your Name[edit]

Dear Brion,

I'd like to ask you about correct spelling of your name in Russian.

As far as I remember it was your yourself who spelled your name as "Брион Вибур".

However, it look like "Брайон Виббер" would be more correct one. Could you please advise? Thanks! Dr Bug (Vladimir V. Medeyko) 19:54, 3 July 2009 (UTC)

ref is too imprecise[edit]

I tried to use the ref element to integrate footnotes. However, there seems to be no possibility to indicate if the footnote references to the sentence in front of the ref element or the paragraph in front of it. In example:

This is a first sentence. This is a second sentence.<ref>Miller (2009), p. 7.</ref>

Instead, it should be as follows:

This is a first sentence. <ref text="Miller (2009), p. 7.">This is a second sentence.</ref>

Now, it is clear, that Miller is based on the second sentence only. Is there any possibility, to indicate that? If not, it should be programmed, because it opens new possibilities, e.g. mouse-ever effects when having the mouse pointer over a sentence. Then, a pop-up box could show "Miller (2009), p. 7". Furthermore, it is much more helpful for future editors to know, if sentence 1 has a reference already and can be relied on. Bugzilla didn't help to find a solution for this problem so far. Can you help to find a solution? 78.53.37.113 (talk) 10:28, 5 July 2009 (UTC)

As the top of the talk page says, you probably want to file a bug in Wikimedia's bug tracker: https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org --MZMcBride (talk) 03:14, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
I already did that, but the topic is not discussed there anymore, although it is a very necessary bug. 78.53.43.218 (talk) 21:07, 6 July 2009 (UTC)

Substituting surname[edit]

Any idea how you can {{subst: a surname in the page title to DEFAULTSORT sort the categories? Its just I have a large batch of German politicians to transwiki and I want to do it more quickly. So basically when you create the page it automatically places e.g Fritz Baier as Baier, Fritz in the categories. If not I gather there is a bot that can default sort the categories by surname and fix it afterwards?

I'd imagine it is something like {subst:PAGENAME} but with a little programming to read the last word of the title and place it first. It would save a great deal of time anyway. Dr. Blofeld White cat 12:35, 12 July 2009 (UTC)

Brion -- Dr. Blofeld asked me this question, and I suggested that it could be done, except that it appears that the string functions are disabled. Is that the case, and if so, why? My guess is that they would suck up too much CPU power on Wikimedia's end... Thanks, Mikaey, Devil's advocate 01:23, 30 July 2009 (UTC)

Quick bar[edit]

Hi. I'm left handed and I've only noticed that cologne blue and classic or one other has the option to change the quickbar from left to right and fixed or moveable. Given that I mostly use modern and occasionally mono, would it be possible to be able to add the quickbar option for modern so the navigation bar can be moved to the right hand side. I think you should give people this option for all skins givne that some people are left handed and might find it more natural to have it on the otherside. I also think there should be a shrinkable option on the nav bars like we have with big templates for instance as if we could conveniently shrink the task while reading or at least have the option to this would ease useability I think. Also for the task bar on modern does it have to be so wide? There is at least a centimetre gap, it could be trimmed easily by 1-2 centimetres. Dr. Blofeld White cat 13:41, 19 July 2009 (UTC)

I'll pass it on to the usability team working on the skin updates, thanks for the feedback! Note we're considering actually using sidebars on both sides for some extra navigation tools, but that's still a ways away. --brion (talk) 18:17, 19 July 2009 (UTC)

Renames[edit]

So, you don't mind if we try a quarter-million rename, then, since the limit is not invoked? Just triple checking. -- Avi (talk) 00:02, 28 July 2009 (UTC)

test test... test test...

Information.svg Welcome and thank you for experimenting with Wikipedia. Your test on the page User talk:Brion VIBBER worked, and it has been reverted or removed. Please take a look at the welcome page to learn more about contributing to this encyclopedia. If you would like to experiment further, please use the sandbox instead. Thank you.

Lossless image compression and website optimization[edit]

Have a look at yahoo's smush it. It can losslessly compress images (that are greater than 1kb)...it can save you guys quite a few bytes in bandwidth.

Looking at the mediawiki svn branch, I can see that most images can be losslessly compressed. Is there any reason you haven't compressed these images...or do you simply need some help^.^.Smallman12q (talk) 18:57, 2 September 2009 (UTC)

1.13 is pretty old; we've been more aggressively recompressing things in more recent work. --brion (talk) 20:38, 4 September 2009 (UTC)

File copyright problem with File:Fourth_test_file_investigating_bug_-_do_not_delete.png[edit]

File Copyright problem

Thank you for uploading File:Fourth_test_file_investigating_bug_-_do_not_delete.png. However, it currently is missing information on its copyright status. Wikipedia takes copyright very seriously. It may be deleted soon, unless we can determine the license and the source of the file. If you know this information, then you can add a copyright tag to the image description page.

If you have uploaded other files, consider checking that you have specified their license and tagged them, too. You can find a list of files you have uploaded by following this link.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them at the media copyright questions page. Thanks again for your cooperation. Chris G Bot (talk) 00:19, 29 September 2009 (UTC)

Pie for you![edit]

Cherry pie with lattice top, April 2006.jpg Have a Pie!
You are hereby awarded ONE PIE for all you've done for Wikipedia and the WMF. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

ArakunemTalk 14:07, 30 September 2009 (UTC)

Nom nom nom -- thanks! --brion (talk) 17:09, 30 September 2009 (UTC)

Lossless image compression/conversion[edit]

Hi, I was wondering if there are any plans to compress the images in the mediawiki trunk? Some images can be losslessly compressed by 20% such as the document.png to File:Document.png.Smallman12q (talk) —Preceding undated comment added 15:52, 3 October 2009 (UTC).

impact on fr.wp renamming file on commons[edit]

Resolved

Bonsoir, Il semble que sur la wikipédia francophone nous avons le même problème que la wikipédia anglophone avait. Par exemple:

Mais il est curieux de voir que [4] fonctionne.

Merci de ton aide.

Regards, Otourly (talk) 18:38, 6 October 2009 (UTC)

De plus [5] est devenu incohérent. Otourly (talk) 18:42, 6 October 2009 (UTC)
Yeah, the Commons file redirects seem to be working on English sites (Wikipedia, Wikinews, etc) but not in other languages (checked French and German). Might be something incorrectly using the local namespace name in queries or cache lookups... --brion (talk) 19:21, 6 October 2009 (UTC)
Sticking this in bugzilla:21026 to track -- hopefully an easy fix. --brion (talk) 19:27, 6 October 2009 (UTC)
...and fix is deployed. Thanks for the bug report! --brion (talk) 20:29, 6 October 2009 (UTC)
and thank you for [6] Otourly (talk) 20:42, 6 October 2009 (UTC)

Vandalism bug[edit]

If you can't see vandalism on Maya civilization then please log out, delete coockies, give google search to access this article. Also see talk page of article. How this vandalism went unnoticed for such a long time? 117.98.79.156 (talk) 15:29, 23 November 2009 (UTC)

Sequence of files (bug test)[edit]

There is a sequence of file redirects with (do not delete) in the file name, which date from September. Is it now OK to delete these redirects?

This, that, and the other (talk) 06:19, 26 November 2009 (UTC)

Merry Christmas![edit]

December21st2012Freak Happy Holidays! 00:15, 24 December 2009 (UTC)

Bureaucrat discussion for Juliancolton RfB[edit]

A bureaucrat discussion has been opened in order to determine the consensus in this request for adminship. Please come participate. ···日本穣? · 投稿 · Talk to Nihonjoe 02:01, 2 January 2010 (UTC)

Categories[edit]

Hi, Brion, and Happy New Year's (& Decade) to you! I have brought this to Tim Starling's attention, too. Constantly when a new edit is being made to any article lately that has categories, the category box at the bottom of the page comes into contact (and sometimes conflict) with either a template or some other various print that is nearby (see The Beatles for example). Since around last early-mid December, this has been happening often, maybe something to do with the article's change in parameters. So far, as I know, nothing has become of this situation. If you could please have a look into this, and possibly resolve this problem once and for all. Thanks Brion! Best, --Discographer (talk) 13:53, 3 January 2010 (UTC)

SF Meetup #11[edit]

  In the area? You're invited to
   San Francisco Meetup # 11
GG-bridge-12-2006.jpg
  Date: Saturday, February 6th, 2010
  Time: 15:00 (3PM)
  Place: WMFoundation offices
  prev: Meetup 10 - next: Meetup 12

This is posted to the groups by request. Please sign up on the Invite list for future announcements. Thanks. --ShakataGaNai ^_^ 23:45, 4 February 2010 (UTC)

Ask for protection, how?[edit]

Dear adminstrator, one of users of Persian wiki has insult me in my English talk page (in Persian language). How can I ask for protection of my User page and talk page and all sub pages against that I.P address? I have some valuable photos in my pages I dont want let him/her to damage them. Regards Pournick (talk) 00:55, 16 February 2010 (UTC)

Add a "public interest" clause to Oversight[edit]

A proposal to add a "public interest" clause to Wikipedia:Oversight has started at Wikipedia_talk:Oversight#Proposal_for_new_.27public_interest.27_clause. SilkTork *YES! 10:40, 17 February 2010 (UTC)

Bug 20246[edit]

Hi. Bug 20246 ("Install Extension:Transliterator on fr and en.wiktionary") has been sitting around since August, and you posted a comment on it saying "Assigning to myself for review." quite a long time ago. Is this going to get done any time soon? Are you even still doing work on bugs since you stepped down from being WMF CTO? If not, where does this go from here? Thanks in advance. --Yair rand (talk) 00:44, 9 April 2010 (UTC)

Major flaw in New Features[edit]

Hi Brion, I've had to go back to Take Me Back from New Features because New Features does not accept the wiki "dot" when editing templates which separates titles. Please try it yourself, and you will find I'm (unfortunately) correct. Best, --Discographer (talk) 22:03, 13 May 2010 (UTC)

Usability[edit]

Not sure how quickly you would see this, so just fyi. Thanks  7  00:52, 14 May 2010 (UTC)

Saluton![edit]

Bona vin tagon! :D - UtherSRG (talk) 14:47, 1 June 2010 (UTC)

Dankegon! :) --brion (talk) 16:36, 1 June 2010 (UTC)

Quoted on, um, BRION[edit]

Hey Brion. Just a quick note to say that I've chopped up your recent comment on phoebe's blog to make a nice little item (well, I think so anyway) for next week's BRION report in the Signpost. Inevitably, this meant shortening areas slightly, and I'd be grateful if you might check to make sure I haven't misrepresented your thoughts or if you have any suggestions about their presentation. Thanks, - Jarry1250 [Humorous? Discuss.] 18:54, 1 July 2010 (UTC)

Login unification - odd snag with Japanese WP[edit]

Brion: Sorry to bother you about this (please redirect me if appropriate), but my login unification was unsuccessful for reasons I don't understand, and the Help page on this suggests contacting a beaurocrat or steward. The holdout is the Japanese wikipedia (I'm confident that I never logged in there), where there's a userpage that looks like it was copied from an old version of my English wikipedia userpage. My English WP password doesn't work there. When I click the "send me a new password" button, I don't get anything in my email Inbox. Any suggestions on how I can finally unify my login worldwide (thus removing a nagging reminder in my Preferences)? -- Scray (talk) 05:29, 4 July 2010 (UTC)

I herd u can[edit]

Hi. I heard you are the former "Chief Techincal Officer of Wikimedia" and you are good at wikicodes, so i am asking you a question that has been [http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Project:Support_desk/Transcluding_onlyinclude_and_includeonly_tags unanswered on wikimedia for a quite long time. I hope you know the answer. To make it easier to see, i am posting the problem here too:


short question

Is there a way to let a template include <includeonly><onlyinclude>{{{date}}}</onlyinclude></includeonly> when transcluded?

longer explaination for question

I'll try to explain it with this table:

Page name: Template(in this case: "template:update") Page between(in this case: "update page") Final page(in this case: "item page")
use: add a notice to "update page" show information about the update,
and when transcluded show the date of it only
Only have the text between the onlyinclude tags included

This is because at the RuneScape Wiki i am trying to automate the update date. Because there is always a link to the update page on the item page, and the update page has the date on it, i want the update page to have an additional note with the date entered(between onlyinclude tags) and i don't want it to appear on the update page itself(between includeonly tags). All update pages have the template:Update on it, with the parameter {{{date}}} so I want template:update to add <includeonly><onlyinclude>{{{date}}}</onlyinclude></includeonly> to the update page so that when the item page has {{#time:j F Y|{{Update:(updatename)}}}} on it, it shows the date in "dd month yy" automatically without needing to add that yourself.

I hope you can help me. Joeytje50 (talk) 17:56, 8 December 2010 (UTC)

Plans?[edit]

I've read that you are a lead designer. I wonder whether there is anywhere we can see your design ideas for the Wikipedia, and possibly contribute to them? I didn't see anything about that on your user page (I aim to promote a sticky note system).-Tesseract2(talk) 19:50, 11 March 2011 (UTC)

Unable to delete particular revision, blocked by interwiki shortcut[edit]

Hi there. Your Commons page points here; though you might be interested in this weird glitch. Kind regards. Rehman 10:17, 29 March 2011 (UTC)

hi![edit]

how come there's no article about you?

you have been in the news [7].

89.216.196.129 (talk) 13:32, 30 March 2011 (UTC)

Problems with my Wikipedia name[edit]

Hello. :)
I cannot edit the page User:ℜepress/vector.css. I think the problem is my name. Quote: "Wikipedia does not have a user page with this exact name." Can you change my name to "Repress"? – ℜepress (talk) 14:12, 19 May 2011 (UTC)

The Great American Wiknic[edit]

Hi there! In the past, you've expressed an interest in local meetups of Wikipedians. Well, here's your chance! On Saturday, June 25, we'll be joining Wikipedians in cities all over the country for the first annual Great American Wiknic -- the picnic that anyone can edit! We'll meet up at a park in SF -- hopefully in the sun -- all other details are still in deliberation!

If this sounds fun, please add your name to the list: Wikipedia:Meetup/San Francisco/Wiknic and add that page to your watchlist. (And of course, feel free to edit that page with your ideas, questions, etc.) I look forward to wiknicking with you! -Pete (talk) 00:28, 25 May 2011 (UTC)

Your opinion would be appreciated[edit]

As a member of WikiProject Countries, I'm seeking your opinion on a possible issue identified at List of sovereign states. If you have some spare moments, please contribute a comment at the Discussion of criteria. Best regards, Nightw 04:52, 20 June 2011 (UTC)

A kitten for you![edit]

Red Kitten 01.jpg

A funny kitten coming from JanPaul123 and demonstrate the WikiLove functionality (plus, you deserve a kitten).

Hashar (talk) 20:29, 1 July 2011 (UTC)

Yay kittens! --brion (talk) 20:41, 1 July 2011 (UTC)

Feel free to clean it up or put it somewhere else :-) Hashar (talk) 06:18, 5 July 2011 (UTC)

Orphaned non-free image File:Fifa world cup org.jpg[edit]

⚠

Thanks for uploading File:Fifa world cup org.jpg. The image description page currently specifies that the image is non-free and may only be used on Wikipedia under a claim of fair use. However, the image is currently orphaned, meaning that it is not used in any articles on Wikipedia. If the image was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that that will be useful. However, please note that images for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on Wikipedia (see our policy for non-free media).

PLEASE NOTE:

  • I am a bot, and will therefore not be able to answer your questions.
  • I will remove the request for deletion if the file is used in an article once again.
  • If you receive this notice after the image is deleted, and you want to restore the image, click here to file an un-delete request.
  • To opt out of these bot messages, add {{bots|deny=DASHBot}} to your talk page.
  • If you believe the bot has made an error, please turn it off here and leave a message on my owner's talk page.


Thank you. DASHBot (talk) 06:07, 3 July 2011 (UTC)

Reasons To Delete J1c3d (Y-DNA)[edit]

  1. Articles that cannot possibly be attributed to reliable sources, including neologisms, original theories and conclusions, and articles that are themselves hoaxes (but not articles describing notable hoaxes)
  2. Articles for which thorough attempts to find reliable sources to verify them have failed
  3. Categories representing overcategorization

JohnLloydScharf (talk) 02:31, 2 August 2011 (UTC)
The hold on editing has been taken off without explanation, to my knowledge, as of this moment, without justification.
JohnLloydScharf (talk) 00:42, 3 August 2011 (UTC)
The one who took this off the edit hold did so without reading the talk page.
JohnLloydScharf (talk) 01:17, 3 August 2011 (UTC)
I refer to the article for J1c3d Y-DNA haplogroup as is indicated in the very first section of my User talk page.
Please see:


JohnLloydScharf (talk) 02:17, 3 August 2011 (UTC)

User:Stinky New User[edit]

Just saw this come across the user creation log and wanted to confirm that it is indeed you. Cheers! TNXMan 16:01, 4 August 2011 (UTC)

Sure is! See bugzilla:30226 for the bug I found while creating it. ;) --brion (talk) 23:49, 4 August 2011 (UTC)

Re: External link icon bug[edit]

Hi Brion, I hope you don't mind the reply here. That would be the classic monobook skin. Hope this helps. :)  -- WikHead (talk) 18:50, 7 October 2011 (UTC)

  • Perhaps I should add, that when I view the raw HTML source of a page, I see no <img src=, or anything else that would indicate that an image is supposed to be loading into the blank space.  -- WikHead (talk) 19:11, 7 October 2011 (UTC)
    • Ok... you actually shouldn't see an <img> or anything as it's added in the CSS stylesheets -- so that's normal. :) I'll see if we can narrow down the bug checks on Monobook skin, thanks! --brion (talk) 20:59, 7 October 2011 (UTC)
Great, thanks for the reply! If the new plan is to remove the icon, I really don't mind that so much. What's weird to me however, is seeing the (space) tail-padding before the punctuation. If the padding was removed, I'd be just as happy. :)  -- WikHead (talk) 21:09, 7 October 2011 (UTC)

Oversize upload[edit]

Hi. Can you upload this 1592 dictionary PDF (alternatively) to Commons:File:Hieronymus Megiser - Dictionarium quatuor linguarum.pdf? The problem is it's 125M size. --Sporti (talk) 09:26, 8 November 2011 (UTC)

I can't -- I need to ask server people to do those kinds of uploads for me too. It's not a fun situation, and hopefully we'll get the chunked upload system going soon so we can all do these ourselves... --brion (talk) 19:36, 8 November 2011 (UTC)
So does soon mean I should wait or file a bug report?--Sporti (talk) 16:12, 12 November 2011 (UTC)
File a bug. --brion (talk) 19:50, 14 November 2011 (UTC)

Request for uninvolved admin to review page deletion discussion[edit]

Hello, I was wondering if you could lend a hand. I am currently in a discussion about a page deletion for the article Big Brother Australia 2012 and as an uninvolved administrator, I was wondering if you were able to review the discussion? Thank you. Bbmaniac (talk) 10:42, 18 November 2011 (UTC)

Your user page[edit]

I killed some of the ancient content on your user page. It could use a bit of sprucing, though. :-) --MZMcBride (talk) 21:08, 28 November 2011 (UTC)

Thanks... I gotta spend more editing time on this wiki. :D --brion (talk) 21:11, 28 November 2011 (UTC)

Thank you for your recent work with portals !!![edit]

Thanks so much for your help with portal coding, especially {{Related portals2}}. Much appreciated. ;) Cheers, — Cirt (talk) 06:03, 12 December 2011 (UTC)

I agree. However, can you please fix {{Related portals2}} so that the contents float in the center of the section they are in instead of left aligning? I can't seem to figure out how to get it to do that. something somewhere in the code is preventing everything I try. Thanks! ···日本穣? · 投稿 · Talk to Nihonjoe · Join WP Japan! 08:27, 13 January 2012 (UTC)
Ideally that would be nice! Not sure offhand how though; I think I tried something basic like setting text-align: center.... possibly using inline-block instead of floats would resolve this. --brion (talk) 18:36, 13 January 2012 (UTC)

proper semantic constructs[edit]

I'm sure you're busy. If you or one of the people you work with has time, we could use some input on improving the generated markup in things like navboxes. This is mostly about the new class=hlist in common.css (and bits of common.js). Things like {{flatlist}} and {{plainlist}} (and class=plainlist), too. And see Horizontal lists have got class in the Signpost.

In a nutshell, I'm looking at this as something that will end-up folded into MediaWiki itself and made available to all projects and external wikis. Part of this may involve (wishful) tweaks to wiki-text syntax ;) Alarbus (talk) 01:40, 17 December 2011 (UTC)

meta:Press kit/Wikimedia People/Officers/Brion Vibber[edit]

You are invited to join the discussion at meta:Talk:Press kit/Wikimedia People/Officers/Brion Vibber#Incomplete. -- Trevj (talk) 16:17, 10 February 2012 (UTC)

MSU Interview[edit]

Dear Brion VIBBER,

My name is Jonathan Obar user:Jaobar, I'm a professor in the College of Communication Arts and Sciences at Michigan State University and a Teaching Fellow with the Wikimedia Foundation's Education Program. This semester I've been running a little experiment at MSU, a class where we teach students about becoming Wikipedia administrators. Not a lot is known about your community, and our students (who are fascinated by wiki-culture by the way!) want to learn how you do what you do, and why you do it. A while back I proposed this idea (the class) to the communityHERE, where it was met mainly with positive feedback. Anyhow, I'd like my students to speak with a few administrators to get a sense of admin experiences, training, motivations, likes, dislikes, etc. We were wondering if you'd be interested in speaking with one of our students.


So a few things about the interviews:

  • Interviews will last between 15 and 30 minutes.
  • Interviews can be conducted over skype (preferred), IRC or email. (You choose the form of communication based upon your comfort level, time, etc.)
  • All interviews will be completely anonymous, meaning that you (real name and/or pseudonym) will never be identified in any of our materials, unless you give the interviewer permission to do so.
  • All interviews will be completely voluntary. You are under no obligation to say yes to an interview, and can say no and stop or leave the interview at any time.
  • The entire interview process is being overseen by MSU's institutional review board (ethics review). This means that all questions have been approved by the university and all students have been trained how to conduct interviews ethically and properly.


Bottom line is that we really need your help, and would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. If interested, please send me an email at obar@msu.edu (to maintain anonymity) and I will add your name to my offline contact list. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can post your nameHERE instead.

If you have questions or concerns at any time, feel free to email me at obar@msu.edu. I will be more than happy to speak with you.

Thanks in advance for your help. We have a lot to learn from you.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Obar --Jaobar (talk)23:23, 17 April 2012 (UTC)

San Francisco Women's History Month Edit-a-Thon[edit]

San Francisco Women's History Month Edit-a-Thon!
Who should come? You should. Really.
We Can Do It!.jpg
The San Francisco Women's History Month Edit-a-Thon will be held on Saturday, March 17, 2012 at the the Wikimedia Foundation offices in San Francisco! Participate in editing subjects about women's history and beyond! Workshops will also be hosted. New and experienced editors of any gender are welcome!
We look forward to seeing you there!

MathJax review[edit]

I'm not sure you are checking for replies to your posts, so: Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Mathematics#mathJax_progress. Nageh (talk) 14:44, 14 March 2012 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Original Barnstar Hires.png The Original Barnstar
Hey Brion! Thanks for your years of dedication and hard work in improving and making Wikipedia as best as ever! :) TheGeneralUser (talk) 23:15, 30 April 2012 (UTC)
Thanks! :D --brion (talk) 23:28, 30 April 2012 (UTC)

You're invited: San Francisco WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon 2![edit]

San Francisco WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon 2! You are invited!
We Can Do It!.jpg
The San Francisco WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon 2 will be held on Saturday, June 16, 2012 at the Wikimedia Foundation offices in San Francisco. Wikipedians of all experience levels are welcome to join us! This event will be specifically geared around encouraging women to learn how to edit and contribute to Wikipedia. Workshops on copy-editing, article creation, and sourcing will be hosted. Bring a friend! Come one, come all!
EdwardsBot (talk) 23:26, 22 May 2012 (UTC) · Unsubscribe

San Francisco Wiknic 2012[edit]

Wiknic logo.svg San Francisco Wiknic at Golden Gate Park LA Wiknic 2011 Group Photo.jpg
You are invited to the second Great American Wikinic taking place in Golden Gate Park, in San Francisco, on Saturday, June 23, 2012. We're still looking for input on planning activities, and thematic overtones. List your add yourself to the attendees list, and edit the picnic as you like. Max Klein {chat} 18:35, 21 May 2012 (UTC)
If you would not like to receive future messages about meetups, please remove your name from Wikipedia:Meetup/San Francisco/Invite.

Today is the Day[edit]

Dankon Brion, Sanon! ;) --FoeNyx (talk) 05:32, 1 June 2012 (UTC)

My toast for you[edit]

Happy Brion Vibber Day

I hope you enjoy it; it's very yummy.

Hurray! it is the time for celebration...
Mi deziras al vi feliĉan Brion Vibber Tago.
Here is my toast for you...(Well.. I had an early dinner!)
I hope you have a great day today...
Yours Kindly
VanischenuTM
11:01, 1 June 2012 (UTC)

awwww thanks :)

testing testing[edit]

just a test — Preceding unsigned comment added by 84.131.73.17 (talk) 09:24, 2 June 2012 (UTC)

how can i get account user:goosy[edit]

I'm goosy@zhwiki, In this wiki(en), I forgot my password, and no email. I can't attached accounts to Unified login. can you help me?

thank you. --182.134.64.249 (talk) 01:22, 17 June 2012 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of Starfighter[edit]

Ambox warning yellow.svg

The article Starfighter has been proposed for deletion because of the following concern:

article on a word made up by some editor, unsourced after several years

While all contributions to Wikipedia are appreciated, content or articles may be deleted for any of several reasons.

You may prevent the proposed deletion by removing the {{proposed deletion/dated}} notice, but please explain why in your edit summary or on the article's talk page.

Please consider improving the article to address the issues raised. Removing {{proposed deletion/dated}} will stop the proposed deletion process, but other deletion processes exist. In particular, the speedy deletion process can result in deletion without discussion, and articles for deletion allows discussion to reach consensus for deletion.

I've seconded it. -- Trevj (talk) 11:22, 13 July 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Editor review/TheGeneralUser (2) Your review is required and will be greatly appreciated :)[edit]

Hi Brion VIBBER Face-smile.svg! I have started my second editor review at Wikipedia:Editor review/TheGeneralUser (2). I will be greatly delighted, thankful and valued to have your review for me regarding my editing and possible candidate for Adminship. As you are a experienced and long term Wikipedian so i have asked for your kind review. Take your time to review my editing and give the best review that you can :). Feel free to ask me any questions you would like to on the review page itself. It will be a great honor to have you review me for which I will truly feel appreciated and helpful! I always work to improve Wikipedia and make it a more better place to be for Everyone :). Regards and Happy Editing! TheGeneralUser (talk) 19:05, 4 September 2012 (UTC)

You're invited! - Wiki Loves Monuments - San Francisco Events[edit]

Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco

Hi! As part of Wiki Loves Monuments, we're organizing two photo events in the San Francisco Bay Area and one in Yosemite National Park. We hope you can come out and participate! Feel free to contact User:Almonroth with questions or concerns.

There are three events planned:

We look forward to seeing you there!

You are receiving this message because you signed up on the SF Bay Area event listing, or have attended an event in the Bay Area. To remove yourself, please go here. EdwardsBot (talk) 00:41, 7 September 2012 (UTC)

Invitation to join the Ten Year Society[edit]

Ten Year Society.svg

Dear Brion,

I'd like to extend a cordial invitation to you to join the Ten Year Society, an informal group for editors who've been participating in the Wikipedia project for ten years or more. I'm currently inviting people whose names that I recognize from around the project, please feel free to invite anyone else you like.

Best regards, -- Hex [t/c] 11:23, 27 September 2012 (UTC).

You're invited! Ada Lovelace Day San Francisco[edit]

You're invited! Ada Lovelace Day San Francisco[edit]

October 16 - Ada Lovelace Day Celebration - You are invited!
Ada Lovelace color.svg
Come celebrate Ada Lovelace Day at the Wikimedia Foundation offices in San Francisco on October 16! This event, hosted by the Ada Initiative, the Mozilla Foundation, and the Wikimedia Foundation. It'll be a meet up style event, though you are welcome to bring a laptop and edit about women in STEM if you wish. Come mix, mingle and celebrate the legacy of the world's first computer programmer.

The event is October 16, 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm, everyone is welcome!

You must RSVP here - see you there!
SarahStierch (talk) 19:53, 13 October 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia skins[edit]

Hi Brion, I learn there are plans to throw out some of the old skins. Please, please please invent some new ones. I actually think editors should have the option to design their own skin to their modifications in their preferences but if not at least introduce a number of inspiring new skins which are graphically more impressive than the current ones. Presentation and graphics I think is very important and can radically alter how the website looks and is perceived. The current ones I find bland and uninspiring. Any chance you could do something in regards to this?♦ Dr. ☠ Blofeld 18:16, 29 October 2012 (UTC)

Most of the new design work is focused on mobile -- we can iterate quickly there without breaking things -- but we plan to expand that work back to the desktop as well. Keep watching. :) --brion (talk) 01:17, 6 November 2012 (UTC)

Deletion of a block log entry[edit]

Hey, I was hoping you could answer a question. Is it possible to delete a block log entry of an editor?

For some background, look at this discussion. I then did some poking around on my own and found this brief discussion from 2008, which is what led me to you.

Thanks.--Bbb23 (talk) 23:12, 29 October 2012 (UTC)

Generally there's no reason to remove log entries, though it is physically possible; see Wikipedia:Revision deletion#Log redaction. --brion (talk) 01:16, 6 November 2012 (UTC)
Yes, I read that. It's too bad, though, because in cases of pure mistake (like this one), it would be nice not to have the block on the log, even though the unblock entry with the reason is also there. I'm just sympathetic to the user who would have liked it removed. Thanks for coming over and responding.--Bbb23 (talk) 01:23, 6 November 2012 (UTC)

Quotes about MediaWiki[edit]

I'm doing research for Wikiquote, if anyone knows of interesting or pithy quotes about q:MediaWiki, please let me know at q:Talk:MediaWiki, it would be most appreciated! Thank you, — Cirt (talk) 17:25, 5 November 2012 (UTC)

From VPR: TOC labels[edit]

Just had a thought. Sometimes you want to quickly identify the status of something in a process - say, the completion amount of a particular day at AFD. So you go to that page's AFD log and there's a great big table of contents. Short of scrolling down the page there's no way to know what the status is of each item in that TOC. My suggestion: a magic word that allows the appending of text to the display of a heading in a TOC. Something like this:

== First thing {{TOCLABEL:closed}}==
Text

== Second thing {{TOCLABEL:open}}==
Text

== Third thing {{TOCLABEL:reopened}}==
Text

which would render something like:

Contents (hide)

Wouldn't that be kind of handy? There would likely be all sorts of uses. The technique might need to be restricted to use outside article space only, though, I think. .:YellowPegasus:. (talkcontribs) 20:00, 23 November 2012 (UTC)

Edit-a-thon tomorrow (Saturday) in Oakland[edit]

Hi, I hope you will be joining us tomorrow afternoon at the Edit-a-thon at Tech Liminal, in Oakland. We'll be working on articles relating to women and democracy (and anything else that interests you). It's sponsored by the California League of Women Voters, Tech Liminal, and me.

If this is the first you are hearing of this event, my apologies for the last-minute notice! I announced it on the San Francisco email list and by a banner on your watchlist, but I neglected to look at the San Francisco invitation list until this evening. If you can't make it this time, I hope to see you at a similar event soon! -Pete (talk) 04:41, 15 December 2012 (UTC)

Wikimedia Foundation employee salaries[edit]

You are invited to comment here. Nirvana2013 (talk) 09:24, 17 December 2012 (UTC)

Crat statement draft[edit]

Hi Following the drama at BN, I'm trying to come up with a statement all Crats could agree to. Please take a look, below. I am quite content to do this onwiki -we have always worked transparently, except where secrecy is essential (ie RTV). I think we should be able to wordsmith a statement acceptable to all, and I think it's an important thing to do.

  1. In my opinion, this issue has come about through an unfortunate proliferation of documentation: policy, guideline, how-to etc
  2. I am not convinced that there is community consensus on all of the points encapsulated in those various pages
  3. I am unhappy at what may be described as some or all of: inconsistencies, inaccuracies or lack of clarity in that documentation
  4. I do not believe that any of the issues we have faced have been caused by Crats trying to widen their powers
  5. I would like to see the issues clarified, based on consensus, and for the documentation to be updated accordingly
  6. I'd like to thank Griot-de for generously withdrawing the rename request

Signed [crat sig] Lmk what you think. Many thanks, --Dweller (talk) 10:39, 7 January 2013 (UTC)

Mail awaits you.[edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Brion VIBBER. Please check your email – you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{YGM}} template.

--ukexpat (talk) 14:45, 30 March 2013 (UTC)

MfD nomination of Wikipedia:WikiProject California/List of California-related topics[edit]

Wikipedia:WikiProject California/List of California-related topics, a page you substantially contributed to, has been nominated for deletion. Your opinions on the matter are welcome; please participate in the discussion by adding your comments at Wikipedia:Miscellany for deletion/Wikipedia:WikiProject California/List of California-related topics and please be sure to sign your comments with four tildes (~~~~). You are free to edit the content of Wikipedia:WikiProject California/List of California-related topics during the discussion but should not remove the miscellany for deletion template from the top of the page; such a removal will not end the deletion discussion. Thank you. Mercurywoodrose (talk) 04:01, 1 April 2013 (UTC)

Women's history editathon[edit]

Hey - Sorry for the late notice, but since you have yourself tagged as living in the Bay Area, I thought you might appreciate notification that we’re having an event Saturday! It’ll be held at Hoyt Hall, an all-women's house of the Berkeley Student Cooperative from 3 to 6 pm tomorrow. The main event page is here. Anyone is welcome to show up, but we’re expecting a significant number of people to come who have literally never edited Wikipedia before. If you’re an experienced Wikipedian who would be able to provide useful help to some of the newbies, your presence would be especially appreciated (and it might be a good idea for you to show up at 2 or 2:30 instead of three. Thanks, Kevin Gorman (talk) 02:00, 6 April 2013 (UTC) I’m AWB’ing this message to all Wikipedians who have tagged themselves in the bay area. I’m sorry if the message isn’t of interest to you; feel free to delete it. I’ll be unlikely to send future messages in a similar way, but if really don’t want to receive future messages of this sort, please let me know.

Template:Related portals2[edit]

Hey, I love this template but I would like to alter the images. Where does this pull the images from? I could simply change that location in the portals I am using. --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 06:28, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

It pulls them via Template:Related portal item which pulls them via Template:Portal image which checks for filenames in templates of the form Template:Portal/Images/Film etc. You can change those little templates to change which image shows up for the given category. --brion (talk) 13:17, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
thank you very much! --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 15:25, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

Wiknic 2013[edit]

Wiknic 2013
Sunday, June 23rd · 12:34pm · Lake Merritt, Oakland
Theme: Hyperlocal list-making
Lake Merritt Wild Duck Refuge (Oakland, CA)

This year's 2013 SF Wiknik will be held at Lake Merritt, next to Children's Fairyland in Oakland. This event will be co-attended by people from the hyperlocal Oakland Wiki. May crosspollination of ideas and merriment abound!

Location and Directions[edit]

  • Location: The grassy area due south of Children's Fairyland (here) (Oakland Wiki)
    • Nearest BART: 19th Street
    • Nearest bus lines: NL/12/72
    • Street parking abounds
EdwardsBot (talk) 04:47, 3 May 2013 (UTC)

Forced user renames coming soon for SUL[edit]

Hi, sorry for writing in English. I'm writing to ask you, as a bureaucrat of this wiki, to translate and review the notification that will be sent to all users, also on this wiki, who will be forced to change their user name on May 27 and will probably need your help with renames. You may also want to help with the pages m:Rename practices and m:Global rename policy. Thank you, Nemo 13:05, 3 May 2013 (UTC)

You're invited...[edit]

to two upcoming Bay Area events:

  • Maker Faire 2013, Sat/Sun May 18-19, San Mateo -- there will have a booth about Wikimedia, and we need volunteers to talk to the public and ideas for the booth -- see the wiki page to sign up!
  • Edit-a-Thon 5, Sat May 25, 10-2pm, WMF offices in San Francisco -- this will be a casual edit-a-thon open to both experienced and new editors alike! Please sign up if on the wiki page if you can make it so we know how much food to get.

I hope you can join us at one or both! -- phoebe / (talk to me) 18:51, 12 May 2013 (UTC)

Already this time of the year ![edit]

Saluton, Brion ! Happy day ! Gratulon ! Dankon ! -- FoeNyx (talk) 14:52, 1 June 2013 (UTC)

Dankon :D --brion (talk) 16:30, 5 June 2013 (UTC)

Wanted by PETA[edit]

You have just been added to PETA's watchlist for killing too many server kitties. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 114.6.22.11 (talk) 05:22, 16 July 2013 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Administrator Barnstar Hires.png The Admin's Barnstar
Great job sir! Crab rangoons (talk) 19:08, 8 August 2013 (UTC)

"Deletion means deletion"[edit]

Hi!

Is this comment from 2007 still accurate? Or would it be correct to say that the content is just hidden? Are there copies of deleted content on Wikimedia Dumps?

(I'm asking because of a new discussion on Portuguese Wikipedia, about the terminology used in our deletion policy to describe what happens to "deleted pages") Helder 22:29, 25 August 2013 (UTC)

In principle this remains true (that the archives of deleted pages in the database are not meant as permanent storage and could be cleared out from time to time), but in practice we haven't cleared out the deletion archives in a long time as people expect things to remain undeletable.
Data dumps don't include the deleted pages -- but of course if you grab an old dump from between the creation and the deletion of a page, you'd find the at-the-time-not-deleted item in there.
Note that since '07 we've also introduced "revision deletion" or hiding, which allows striking out of particular parts of a revision's metadata (content, author username, comment). Again, the data remains in the database on the site, but isn't included in data dumps.
So, while in theory just about all deleted stuff could be recovered from Wikimedia Foundation's servers if required (some things get really-really-totally-perma-deleted-for-reals like child porn...) if Wikimedia shut down and Wikipedia had to be reinstated from public data dumps, those deleted items would not be available to the 'new' site.
--brion (talk) 14:02, 28 August 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia Code Review Access[edit]

Hi! I was told to go and contribute to the new repositories on Code Review. Since the only reason I was on that repository in the first place was to work on the Metro app, I would like to be able to access the Metro project on Code Review. Thank you very much! APerson (talk!) 03:41, 6 December 2013 (UTC)

You're invited: Art & Feminism Edit-a-thon[edit]

Art & Feminism Edit-a-Thon - You are invited!
Csaky madonna.jpg
Hi Brion VIBBER! The first Art and Feminism Edit-a-thon will be held on Saturday, February 1, 2014 in San Francisco.

Any editors interested in the intersection of feminism and art are welcome. Wikipedians of all experience levels are invited! Experienced editors will be on hand to help new editors.
Bring a friend and a laptop! Come one, come all! Learn more here!

SarahStierch (talk) 08:50, 21 December 2013 (UTC)

Request for a complete export of one article and related pages.[edit]

Hello Brion: I have been politely asked to "read the archives" before editing on a contentious article and realize this is going to take a while and require lots of notes. :) I decided to setup a personal Wikimedia-on-a-stick so I can work locally (much faster, I live in a rural area and have a somewhat slower connection) but the history limit on export is an issue since there are a lot more than 1000 edits. I saw you were able to do this before here and was hoping you would be willing to do it again maybe? The page is Morgellons and I would like to have the whole set of article + article history/diffs + talk + talk history/diffs + talk archives (11) + talk archives history/diffs. Is that possible? Thanks in advance either way.

{{imaginary-smiley|pleading-with-big-sad-puppy-dog-eyes}} :)

F6697 FORMERLY 66.97.209.215 TALK 04:24, 4 January 2014 (UTC)

service oriented architecture[edit]

Greetings $editor, I see from your $signpostProfileArticle that you have an interest in service-oriented architectures!  :-)   I'm trying to help a group of COI-encumbered PhDs re-write the SORCER article (NPOV), which is a service-oriented architecture based on the Jini/JVM substrate, used by the USAF (plus French and rumour has it Chinese and Russians and possibly Brits/Aussies) to speed up the automated mechanical-design-and-analysis of radical new aerospace structures. Interesting stuff, but could use another set of eyeballs to help translate from the jargon-debt they've built up during classified and quasi-governmental projects involving this software, since the previous millenium. Do you have any interest in helping, and are you available? And if so, how strong is your wikiImmuneSystem when it comes to surviving TLDR?

  p.s. I'd also like to give you an earful about WP:FLOW and VizEd and the general push for wiki2.0 sorts of things. But I promise to refrain, if you'd prefer not to hear it.  :-)   Hope this helps, and thanks for improving wikipedia. Please leave me a talkback / if you respon' / cannot have no watchlist / as just an anon'. Danke. 74.192.84.101 (talk) 17:19, 26 January 2014 (UTC)

MfD nomination of Portal:Literature/Mobile redesign attempt[edit]

Portal:Literature/Mobile redesign attempt, a page you substantially contributed to, has been nominated for deletion. Your opinions on the matter are welcome; please participate in the discussion by adding your comments at Wikipedia:Miscellany for deletion/Portal:Literature/Mobile redesign attempt and please be sure to sign your comments with four tildes (~~~~). You are free to edit the content of Portal:Literature/Mobile redesign attempt during the discussion but should not remove the miscellany for deletion template from the top of the page; such a removal will not end the deletion discussion. Thank you. Sven Manguard Wha? 20:02, 3 February 2014 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Original Barnstar Hires.png The Original Barnstar
For collaboration on a technical book explaining the software that runs Wikipedia. Bides time (talk) 18:11, 20 February 2014 (UTC)

You're invited! WikiWomen's Edit-a-thon at the University of California, Berkeley[edit]

Saturday, April 5 - WikiWomen's Edit-a-thon at the University of California, Berkeley - You are invited!
We Can Edit.jpg
The University of California, Berkeley's Berkeley Center for New Media is hosting our first edit-a-thon, facilitated by WikiWoman Sarah Stierch, on April 5! This event, focused on engaging women to contribute to Wikipedia, will feature a brief Wikipedia policy and tips overview, followed by a fast-paced energetic edit-a-thon. Everyone is welcome to attend.

Please bring your laptop and be prepared to edit about women and women's history!

The event is April 5, from 1-5 PM, at the Berkeley Center for New Media Commons at Moffitt Library.

You must RSVP here - see you there! SarahStierch (talk) 23:13, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

June is already here ![edit]

Saluton, Brion ! Happy day ! Gratulon ! Dankon ! -- FoeNyx (talk) 09:03, 1 June 2014 (UTC)