The Signpost: 20 August 2014
- Op-ed: A new metric for Wikimedia
- Traffic report: Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
- WikiProject report: Bats and gloves
- Featured content: English Wikipedia departs for Japan
Greetings! / Art+Feminism
Hi User:Calliopejen1! I wanted to reach out to learn more about the East of Borneo Edit-a-Thons in L.A. I hope to write a story or do an interview with one of the organizers, and would also be interested in communicating more about a potential future, upcoming Art+Feminism Edit-a-Thon this fall. Hope to talk soon. :) OR drohowa (talk) 18:17, 25 August 2014 (UTC)
- @OR drohowa: The primary person organizing the EOB edit-a-thons is User:StaceyEOB -- she does the vast majority of the legwork, and I help out with some Wikipedia expertise. I don't want to steal her thunder but would be happy to talk to you -- email me if you'd like to set up something via Skype etc. Also, User:Kadelman organized last year's Art+Feminism thing in Los Angeles. I'm not sure if she's planning to do it again this year but her event last time at the Public School was really cool! Calliopejen1 (talk) 15:59, 26 August 2014 (UTC)
another LA edit-a-thon
I'm announcing Wikipedia:Meetup/LA/20. I've already requested the geo-notice but I could use your help pushing out the invitation to Wikipedians on the LA list. I'm not particular as to the text; please advise if you'd like me to draft something. Chris Troutman (talk) 07:26, 26 August 2014 (UTC)
- @Chris troutman: Actually, could you draft something up? If you could figure out some way to distinguish it from the Unforgetting L.A. edit-a-thon, that would be great! (Maybe a different suggested focus? Something else California-related, or something different altogether?) It's great that the guy from the wiknic is volunteering his space! Let me know if you need help organizing or any extra supplies etc. I need to check my calendar at home, but I think I should be able to make it! Calliopejen1 (talk) 15:59, 26 August 2014 (UTC)
- How about this?
|The 20th Los Angeles meetup: Sunday, September 21st from 11am to 4pm|
Join us on Sunday, September 21st, from 11am - 4pm at Kramer Studio in Mid-City LA. (map). Please RSVP and consider becoming a member of the SoCal task force to help us improve articles about everything in the region.
See you there! To opt out of future mailings about LA meetups, please remove your name from this list.
L.A. Meetup on September 21
|The 20th Los Angeles meetup: Sunday, September 21 from 11am to 4pm|
Dear fellow Wikipedian,
Join us on Sunday, September 21, from 11am to 4pm at Kramer Studio in Mid-City (map) for a meetup and edit-a-thon! Get to know the Los Angeles Wikipedia community and do some editing (or learn to edit!) in a collaborative environment. Please RSVP and consider becoming a member of the SoCal task force to help us improve articles about everything in the region.
To opt out of future mailings about LA meetups, please remove your name from this list.
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that you've added some links pointing to disambiguation pages. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.
The Signpost: 27 August 2014
- Featured content: Cheats at Featured Pictures!
- In the media: Plagiarism and vandalism dominate Wikipedia news
- News and notes: Media Viewer—Wikimedia's emotional roller-coaster
- Traffic report: Viral
The Signpost: 03 September 2014
- WikiProject report: Gray's Anatomy (v. 2)
- Traffic report: Holding Pattern
- Featured content: 1882 × 6 in gold, and thruppence more
- Arbitration report: Media viewer case is suspended
Mentoring at the Co-op
Hi Jen! This is Jethro, a fellow host at the Teahouse. I'm running a pilot of a new mentorship space called the the Co-op, and am looking for mentors. There isn't a real interface yet as we're still building it, but to give you plenty of notice, I wanted to ask if you might be interested in mentoring 1 or 2 editors during our pilot. We plan to start piloting in December and run for about two months. Mentors would only need to teach things relevant to what an editor wants to do or accomplish, so it's less of a commitment compared to teaching comprehensively about Wikipedia. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, of course, so let me know if there's anything about the space you'd like to know more about. Much like the Teahouse, the only way we'll know if our project is useful is if we can get folks to help teach. I, JethroBT drop me a line 18:45, 8 September 2014 (UTC)
Perhaps we should unblock to allow a username RFC. As pleasant as they doubtless are in real life, not everyone they encounter here will know that, and I would be comfortable letting them edit with that name as long as community consensus supported it.
The Signpost: 10 September 2014
- Featured content: The louse and the fish's tongue
- WikiProject report: Checking that everything's all right
- Traffic report: Refuge in celebrity