- 1 Welcome from Redwolf24
- 2 Sandboxes
- 3 Dates
- 4 Raymond Dimech
- 5 Willy on Wheels
- 6 Okay
- 7 Hey!!
- 8 User categorisation
- 9 Japan-related stubs
- 10 Metabolism
- 11 Approved for WP:AWB
- 12 Filmmaking article assessments
- 13 Boundary changes in the district of Blenio
- 14 Carlo Maderno
- 15 User talk:220.127.116.11
- 16 dreamascript
- 17 Polarity via AWB
- 18 MUGEN NoE
- 19 Filmmaking Userbox
- 20 Vandalism Research
- 21 DNS
- 22 Ciass
- 23 Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/The Lama Foundation
- 24 Sealand afd
- 25 Maderno
- 26 WikiProject Filmmaking Announcement
- 27 Public vs. Private DNS Servers
- 28 Heinrich Hertz
- 29 WikiProject Films coordinator elections
- 30 WikiProject Films August 2008 Newsletter
- 31 WP:FILMS Questionnaire
- 32 Reviewer granted
- 33 His name is Robert Vernon Spears not Richard Spears
- 34 Disambiguation link fixing one-day contest
- 35 Category:Explorer program
Hello, and welcome to Wikipedia. Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay. We as a community are glad to have you and thank you for creating a user account! Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- The Five Pillars of Wikipedia
- How to edit a page
- Editing, policy, conduct, and structure tutorial
- Picture tutorial
- How to write a great article
- Naming conventions
- Manual of Style
- Merging, redirecting, and renaming pages
- If you're ready for the complete list of Wikipedia documentation, there's also Wikipedia:Topical index.
Yes some of the links appear a bit boring at first, but they are VERY helpful if you ever take the time to read them.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wikipedian! By the way, please be sure to sign your name on Talk and vote pages using four tildes ([[User:Redwolf24|Redwolf24]] 08:13, 12 July 2005 (UTC)) to produce your name and the current date, or three tildes ([[User:Redwolf24|Redwolf24]]) for just your name. If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to the village pump or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome.
P.S. I like messages :-P
P.P.S. You own a vineyard?!
- Vineyard: yes, a private and very small one. I work on it only some weekends as hobby, but I have enought grapes to make some wines and to sell grapes to a local commercial winemaker Cate 08:48, 12 July 2005 (UTC)
- messages ? -> messages in personal talk pages? (I should read more about talk pages)
- That mustve cost some money.. Anywho about messages, yes a message at my Talk Page. Redwolf24 09:04, 12 July 2005 (UTC)
I noticed on your user page you have a section called "personal sandbox" and I thought you might want to know that you can have more than one such sandbox by creating subpages. It's easy to do, just link to the page (such as, User:Cate/Sandbox) then follow the link. Good to have you on board! Oh, and if Redwolf24 gives you any lip, give him a good thrashing! ; - ) -- Essjay · Talk 09:10, July 12, 2005 (UTC)
The MoS is slightly misleading; it fails to mention that there is no difference between:
As you'll see, whether you see the comma is dependent upon how you have your browser set up (just as is the order of the elements); I see both of them as "27 March 1956", for example. I tend to delete the commas in such cases as a (tiny, in fact infinitesimal) gesture towards saving space and time. --Mel Etitis (Μελ Ετητης) 22:08, 21 July 2005 (UTC)
Willy on Wheels
I, Dbraceyrules, hereby present you this Wiki Defender Barnstar for moving pages back from Willy on Wheels vandalism.
Alright, I know what I said was wrong, but I was just frustrated. And thanks for showing me those pages, that should help. The Fascist Chicken 12:57, 26 August 2005 (UTC)
You were listed on the Wikipedia:Wikipedians/Switzerland page as living in or being associated with Switzerland. As part of the Wikipedia:User categorisation project, these lists are being replaced with user categories. If you would like to add yourself to the category that is replacing the page, please visit Category:Wikipedians in Switzerland for instructions. --Army1987 14:09, 1 September 2005 (UTC)
You do have a point, but stub categories are intended to be automagically added by stub templates, not added by hand without the accompanying stub text. I put Category:History of Japan on those two articles for now, as the aticles don't strike me as being stubs (which is why I removed the category in the first place). Caerwine 13:02, 3 November 2005 (UTC)
- Moved from my user page. Cate 09:58, 18 April 2006 (UTC)
My name is Bill Riley and I am writing an article on "Basal Metabolic Rate." It is my first "outing" with wikipedia. It needs to be "wikified." Could you help? Thank you and your thoughts are excellent! I am a Physical Therapist Assistant and my background is in Exercise Physiology utilizing indirect calorimetry for people who wish to lose weight! BRileyPTA@aol.com
Cate, thanks again for moving my comments to the right section! Could the background that you have in Theoretical Physics be applied to the idea that BMR is a dynamic value that interacts among the systems of the body favoring certain substrates which correspondingly alter the ratio to protect these substances and that this could be revealed through gas analysis? BRileyPTA 17:06, 23 September 2006 (UTC)BRileyPTABRileyPTA 17:06, 23 September 2006 (UTC)
- I have no time. I don't know enough to make some constructive commentary. Cate 12:58, 14 November 2006 (UTC)
Filmmaking article assessments
Thank you so much for helping to begin the process of article assessment for WikiProject Filmmaking! I'd also like to personally invite you to join the project if you haven't already, seeing as you're helping out with the heavy lifting! :) Thanks again, Girolamo Savonarola 19:35, 27 September 2006 (UTC)
Boundary changes in the district of Blenio
Thanks for picking up on this, and changing it back. Do you have any more details on the new commune of Blenio, such as its municipality identification number, or a link to its coat of arms? I have been unable to find these. Regards, --BillC 11:01, 21 October 2006 (UTC)
- I will check and give you more information. AFAIK there is no yet a coat of arm. The first election are done Sunday 22 Oct (tomorrow). For the other question I should check the statistic data. (BTW the election: Blenio from: Aquila, Campo Blenio, Ghirone, Olivone and Torre; and Cevio from: Bignasco, Cavergno e Cevio.  Cate 18:59, 21 October 2006 (UTC)
- I found these links: list of all municipalities and districts of Switzerland: http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/it/index/news/publikationen.Document.69204.zip ; and the changes in 2006 http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/it/index/news/publikationen.Document.83572.pdf . I hope it help you. If you need help for translation, just ask. Cate 08:34, 23 October 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks for this, I'll check it out. Replying here on your own talk page is fine as I usually watch someone's talk page after having placed a message there myself. --BillC 19:11, 23 October 2006 (UTC)
If Carlo Maderno was a "Swiss architect" as naively insisted upon, the "Swissness" of his architecture needs to be discussed. We await enlightenment from User:Cate. No need to respond directly: I have Carlo Maderno on my Watchlist. Thank you.--Wetman 19:29, 26 October 2006 (UTC)
This is not a static IP. Please delete this commentary. Greetings. --18.104.22.168 12:27, 14 November 2006 (UTC)
hi, i was wondering if you could help me with the dreamascript guy who has been spamming several articles. not only that, he also resorts to deleting comments from the discussion page. can't we do something about it? Sanssheriff 14:14, 20 November 2006 (UTC)
- You are violating the WP:3RR rule. In the WP:3RR rule you will find some information about action to avoid edit wars. Cate 15:40, 20 November 2006 (UTC)
- Oh, sorry about that. Obviously, I didn't know it. I was getting tired anyway :) --Sanssheriff 16:31, 20 November 2006 (UTC)
Polarity via AWB
Cate, you seem to be adding a lot of redlinks to articles via AWB. Can you check that you have the right link for Polarity before you do any more? Thanks, Walkerma 10:08, 27 November 2006 (UTC)
- oops! Sorry :-( . Now I think I corrected my errors. Cate 10:42, 27 November 2006 (UTC)
Thank you a lot for your comment, I have corrected my personal comment to you, sorry for the inconvenience.
Cate, well done on the userbox. Looks like we have two at the moment, though! Would you be interested in joining the discussion about merging them? Thanks, Girolamo Savonarola 03:12, 4 December 2006 (UTC)
I'm just doing research into the wiki community to see how vndlisers are dealt with. There is actualy a few thousand of us conducting this exprmnt, its getting very interesting. I think what drives us on and gives us a sense of purpose is the outspoken warnings we get, you might want to look into that as a means of detering us, but not yet. We will be publishing our findings soon! 22.214.171.124 20:42, 5 December 2006 (UTC)
- There are already a lot of vandalism in wikipedia. Instead of waste our time, you should investigate existing vandalism. Research is also observation. And your vandalism is an high level (contrary of most of vandalism). I noticed that you know the policy (and used countrary of common sense, so your vandalism is not representative. - Cate | Talk 20:48, 5 December 2006 (UTC)
- I know the policy very well but there is a social black hole, since as you warned me to keep off your turf; wikipedia, you thus challanged me, and there is nothing a vandal wants more than a challange. You should consider this one very interesting point. To end off, I advise you to create a userbox stating you are a silent revertionist, ignoring vandals and simply posting them the welcome message repeatedly until a final block. I know it is policy to warn, but it is foolish. The userbox will spread fast. In fact there are allready a few arround. 126.96.36.199 20:56, 5 December 2006 (UTC)
- These challenges are common, but it seems that normally user behave WP:COOL. And if you note, the vandalism warning, and the deletion of vandalism is made by a lot of people, which help greatly against vandal (and they challanges), because attacks become less personal. BTW: I'm not an admin, so my user page is seldom attacked, but if you check admins pages you will find a lot of personal attack. About user boxes: people (and vandal) usually don't check user pages, so your idea is not so good. Cate | Talk 09:57, 6 December 2006 (UTC)
Hello Cate, thank you for posing the question if the pedestrian zone in Chiasso is or is not encyclopedic (and sorry for delay in replying, I am not yet a regular contributor to English wikipedia). Indeed, the present structure of thr article is far from satisfying. I planned to make a substantial expansion by translating the information by the municipality posted up in Bernasconi square. Yet my point of view is that of a person who has fallen in love with this town since many years, so I should make any efforts to be neutral! In fact I have been a little bit disappointed by the referendum break down about the pedestrian zone, but... that's direct democracy! Maybe you have already noticed me: I am a client of Cerrutti bar in S.Gottardo avenue and of the leggere bookshop; moreover I often go to the post office to get my mail. I have a full beard and I bring a pin with the Swiss flag on my jacket. Cheers, --Clamengh 14:21, 20 March 2007 (UTC)
I've gone ahead and done some work on this article. If you have a chance, would you take a moment to look, and see whether it'd affect your opinion for the AFD? -Hit bull, win steak(Moo!) 22:01, 20 March 2007 (UTC)
Hope you don't mind me pointing out... re your merge opinion, the information's already in the main article. See the other contributions to the AfD. --Dweller 13:13, 9 May 2007 (UTC)
- Ah. I think I misunderstood you. Were you saying that there's an issue because the template on the main article transcludes images from the sub articles? --Dweller 13:15, 9 May 2007 (UTC)
You know? When I wrote it I had the same doubt... I said myself to verify but later forgot. Thanks and good work. --Attilios 15:48, 27 June 2007 (UTC)
WikiProject Filmmaking Announcement
Public vs. Private DNS Servers
Let me respond to the question in your edit comments on DNS. Think, in this context, of separate public (i.e., registered) and private (RFC1918) address space.
Assume you have an address-translating firewall between your internal network and the public Internet, at enterprise example.com. Let foo.example.com be an internal server. You have a /28 subnet as your outside DMZ, which contains the Internet routers, public DNS, and a firewall. The outside address of the firewall is public (e.g., 188.8.131.52), but the inside address is in RFC1918 space and has the address 10.1.2.3.
When an inside user wants to access foo.example.com, the DNS lookup goes to an "private" DNS and resolves to the actual address 10.1.2.3. When an outside user, coming in from the Internet, wants to go to foo.example.com, the public DNS will resolve that to the outside address of the firewall at 192.0.2.3. If the request passes through the firewall, the firewall will substitute a destination address of 10.1.2.3. Howard C. Berkowitz 15:27, 16 October 2007 (UTC)
WikiProject Films coordinator elections
The WikiProject Films coordinator selection process is starting. We are aiming to elect five coordinators to serve for the next six months; if you are interested in running, please sign up here by March 28! Girolamo Savonarola (talk) 09:43, 15 March 2008 (UTC)
WikiProject Films August 2008 Newsletter
The August 2008 issue of the Films WikiProject newsletter has been published. You may read the newsletter, change the format in which future issues will be delivered to you, or unsubscribe from this notification by following the link. Thank you.
This has been an automated delivery by BrownBot (talk) 22:43, 1 September 2008 (UTC)
As a member of WikiProject Films, you are invited to take part in the project's first questionnaire. It is intended to gauge your participation and views on the project. At the conclusion of the questionnaire, the project's coordinators will use the gathered feedback to find new ways to improve the project and reach out to potential members. The results of the questionnaire will be published in next month's newsletter. If you know of any editors who have edited film articles in the past, please invite them to take part in the questionnaire. Please stop by and take a few minutes to answer the questions so that we can continue to improve our project. Happy editing!
This has been an automated delivery by BrownBot (talk) 02:54, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
Hello. Your account has been granted the "reviewer" userright, allowing you to review other users' edits on certain flagged pages. Pending changes, also known as flagged protection, is currently undergoing a two-month trial scheduled to end 15 August 2010.
Reviewers can review edits made by users who are not autoconfirmed to articles placed under pending changes. Pending changes is applied to only a small number of articles, similarly to how semi-protection is applied but in a more controlled way for the trial. The list of articles with pending changes awaiting review is located at Special:OldReviewedPages.
When reviewing, edits should be accepted if they are not obvious vandalism or BLP violations, and not clearly problematic in light of the reason given for protection (see Wikipedia:Reviewing process). More detailed documentation and guidelines can be found here.
His name is Robert Vernon Spears not Richard Spears
Your redirect is incorrect. Read the obituary-
In the future, check google news archives. Now an administrator is going to have to fix your over two years old mistake.- William 23:01, 3 July 2011 (UTC)
- I don't understand. I don't see edits on both pages (and on pages which link to that pages), and surely I didn't add names (either wrong or correct). Maybe I was trying to help about the question in Talk:Robert Vernon Spears (in such case i did edit only few months ago). Please clarify and please link the relevant changes! Note: National Airlines Flight 2511 still link to Richard Spears. Cate | Talk 18:49, 6 July 2011 (UTC)
I have decided to put on a mini-contest within the November 2013 monthly disambiguation contest, on Saturday, November 23 (UTC). I will personally give a $20 Amazon.com gift card to the disambiguator who fixes the most links on that server-day (see the project page for details on scoring points). Since we are not geared up to do an automated count for that day, at 00:00, 23 November 2013 (UTC) (which is 7:00 PM on November 22, EST), I'll take a screenshot of the project page leaderboard. I will presume that anyone who is not already listed on the leaderboard has precisely nine edits. At 01:00, 24 November 2013 (UTC) (8:00 PM on November 23, EST), I'll take a screenshot of the leaderboard at that time (the extra hour is to give the board time to update), and I will determine from that who our winner is. I will credit links fixed by turning a WP:DABCONCEPT page into an article, but you'll have to let me know me that you did so. Here's to a fun contest. Note that according to the Daily Disambig, we currently have under 256,000 disambiguation links to be fixed. If everyone in the disambiguation link fixers category were to fix 500 links, we would have them all done - so aim high! Cheers! bd2412 T 02:05, 18 November 2013 (UTC)
Category:Explorer program, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the Categories for discussion page. Thank you. Armbrust The Homunculus 09:19, 5 September 2014 (UTC)