My Talk Archives
Third Opinion re: Grace Kelly
I am a little confused as to what has happened here. According to the WP:3O history page, I took this request at 19:45 today, and I don't see any statement from you about doing the same. Obviously, the purpose of formally claiming requests in this way is to prevent two (possibly different) third opinions being given for the same article, and avoid duplicating effort researching the case. In this instance, this appears not have to have worked (and, unfortunately, our opinions do differ). I wish to stress I'm not upset or anything - the more discussion the better, as far as I'm concerned - but I am confused as to what has actually happened here, and why the usual mechanism to prevent this sort of thing has failed. Perhaps we need to come up with a better method for preventing duplication of effort? Thanks! Anaxial (talk) 20:32, 12 June 2010 (UTC)
My apologies! That was entirely my mistake. I had never used WP:3O before and didn't understand that I should remove the entry from WP:3O before I added my third opinion. I'm glad to see that you weighed in regardless. As for the potential for a better method... upon re-reading the providing third opinions section, I notice that the phrasing is very weak (and at the end):
- When providing a third opinion, please remove the listing from this page and mention in the summary which dispute you have removed and how many remain. If this is done before responding, other volunteers are less likely to duplicate your effort.
Perhaps the bullet point could state be clearer? I will edit it. Please revert my changes if I made a mistake. dmyersturnbull ⇒ talk 05:18, 13 June 2010 (UTC)
- Fine by me. No harm done :) Anaxial (talk) 06:40, 13 June 2010 (UTC)
- Thank you both! I too was confused.
- Would love to have a reply here to my recent question to Dmyersturnbull. Preferably before it deisappears in a huge dust cloud of longwinded idiom often created by another user (non-English contributor) who tried to answer it for you. Cordially, SergeWoodzing (talk) 18:39, 13 June 2010 (UTC)
Thanks for clarifying the ambiguity in Abortion. As a fellow obsessive where grammar is concerned, I felt compelled to point out the mistake in your edit summary. You corrected the placement of prepositional phrases, not clauses - there's no verb in them ;) Happy editing --RexxS (talk) 01:32, 9 October 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks! dmyersturnbull ⇒ talk 01:36, 9 October 2010 (UTC)
Notification: changes to "Mark my edits as minor by default" preference
Hello there. This is an automated message to tell you about the gradual phasing out of the preference entitled "Mark all edits minor by default", which you currently have (or very recently had) enabled.
On 13 March 2011, this preference was hidden from the user preferences screen as part of efforts to prevent its accidental misuse (consensus discussion). This had the effect of locking users in to their existing preference, which, in your case, was
true. To complete the process, your preference will automatically be changed to
false in the next few days. This does not require any intervention on your part and you will still be able to manually mark your edits as being 'minor'. The only thing that's changed is that you will no longer have them marked as minor by default.