User talk:Dnalor 01
Please read the advice about adding pictures to articles. It is clear that you didn't look hard at the content or the arrangement of the pictures before adding yours. Every picture down the right side of the article had been added to convey information. The pictures were all relevant to the section in which they were placed. When you added your picture, you pushed other pictures out of the right section. If you go back to the article, you will find it has a Gallery which contains some people's snapshots. Your picture could go there. Amandajm (talk) 01:49, 5 May 2014 (UTC)
- Thank you for your information! I put the picture into the gallery! Regards --Dnalor 01 (talk) 09:09, 5 May 2014 (UTC)
AJM's advice to new editors
- Look at the article to see how it is laid out. The Table of Contents is the best place to start.
- Read the article to see if what you want to add or remove is appropriate, necessary, or adds value.
- Search for the right place to put it.
- Check Use the "Show Preview" to make sure that what you have done is appropriate and correct.
- Discuss any change about which you are uncertain, by placing your proposed text, or just a suggestion, on the talk page. Someone who watches the article will usually answer in a day or so. You can monitor this by clicking the watch tag at the top of the page.
- Be aware
- that an addition inserted between two sentences or paragraphs that are linked in meaning can turn the existent paragraphs into nonsense.
- that a lengthy addition or the creation of a new sub-section can add inappropriate weight to just one aspect of a topic.
When adding images
- Look to see if the subject of your image is already covered. Don't duplicate subject matter already present. Don't delete a picture just to put in your own, unless your picture is demonstrably better for the purpose. The caption and nearby text will help you decide this.
- Search through the text to find the right place for your image. If you wish it to appear adjacent to a particular body of text, then place it above the text, not at the end of it.
- Look to see how the pictures are formatted. If they are all small thumbnails, do not size your picture at 300 px. The pictures in the article may have been carefully selected to follow a certain visual style e.g. every picture may be horizontal, because of restricted space; every picture might be taken from a certain source, so they all match. Make sure your picture looks appropriate in the context of the article.
- Read the captions of existent pictures, to see how yours should fit in.
- Check the formatting, placement, context and caption before you leave the page by using the Show preview function, and again after saving.
- Discuss If your picture seems to fill a real identifiable need in the article, but doesn't fit well, because of formatting or some other constraint, then put it on the talk page and discuss, before adding.
- Be aware that adding a picture may substantially change the layout of the article. Your addition may push another picture out of its relevant section or cause some other formatting problem.
- Edit before adding. Some pictures will look much better, or fit an article more appropriately if they are cropped to show the relevant subject.
Great pic, but a bit big for that spot, (on wide screen formats) and a bit overwhelming. I have swapped it with another picture at the bottom of the page, because I like a sunset image as the last picture, for sentimental reasons. I have also included it down the bottom of the Silhouette page. If you have good silhouette images that you want in the gallery, leave them on the talk page, and sooner or later, I'll swap them around, because people love them, like to take them. That article gets more hits than I would have expected! Amandajm (talk) 14:57, 10 May 2014 (UTC)
- Thank you for your work, it's okay for me finding the picture now at the end of the article though I found it very fine at the beginning too ... ;-) I'll be searching for some other silhouette images, I don't know now if I have some! Regards --Dnalor 01 (talk) 15:14, 10 May 2014 (UTC) PS: You can find it on the german page at the beginning too! Thank you for including the image down the bottom of the Silhouette page! Perfect: "Famous silhouettes"! I'm happy! :-) --Dnalor 01 (talk) 15:17, 10 May 2014 (UTC)