User talk:Doug butler
Welcome, and thank you for experimenting with Wikipedia. Your test on the page Samuel Beckett worked, and it has been reverted or removed. Please take a look at the welcome page to learn more about contributing to this encyclopedia. If you would like to experiment further, please use the sandbox. Thank you. Please do not sign the article mainspaces; signatures are only for talk pages. EnviroboyTalkCs 05:42, 20 February 2008 (UTC)
User talk archives
- BTW how does one create a User talk archive? Doug butler (talk) 21:51, 18 June 2012 (UTC)
- There are lots of ways it can be done, some of them automatic, but I've had no success with the automatic ones, (and anyway, being the control freak that I am, I actually prefer to have control over what's happening.)
- So I do it manually. And there are several ways you can do that, too.
- Probably/possibly the easiest/best way to do it, (certainly a better way to do it than what I do, but I only discovered this method in the last year - had I discovered it earlier, I would probably use it), is the two step process:
- 1) Use "move page" to rename your talk page (e.g. move "User talk:Doug butler" to "User talk:Doug butler/Archive 1")
- 2) "User talk:Doug butler" will then become a redirect to "User talk:Doug butler/Archive 1". Edit "User talk:Doug butler" - remove the redirect and replace it with the stuff (copied from "User talk:Doug butler/Archive 1") that you like having on the top of your talk page.
- Then, next time you want to archive, move "User talk:Doug butler" to "User talk:Doug butler/Archive 2"
- Hope that helps. Cheers, Pdfpdf (talk) 13:38, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- Thank you. That seems to have worked. Doug butler (talk) 15:00, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- I'm not sure what I wanted, except a smaller page. I like the first two posts - a welcome from FLOWERPOTMAN (lovely guy) and the firm but courteous trashing of my first edit - but the rest is (apart from a few nice tips like <nowiki>) just a nice souvenir. Doug butler (talk) 15:57, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for Village Settlements
Well done on Village Settlements (South Australia) - it's a nice article tying together the various places with a shared history. I knew a bit about Lyrup, but didn't know there were so many others from the same time. --Scott Davis Talk 01:44, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
Smooth Island (Tasmania)
Hi, Doug. I am looking to the only Australian I have been friendly with, hoping you can read Smooth Island (Tasmania) and provide me with any ideas for improvement. You can see two minor comments on Wikipedia:WikiProject Guild of Copy Editors/Requests. Any other advice would be welcome, here, or on my talk page.--DThomsen8 (talk) 01:27, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
- Great to hear from you Dthomsen8. I remember with pleasure some of your advice and have tried to keep up to it, but Good Articles are way out of my league. I'm still flat out putting down halfway useful Stubs and Starts. User:Cowdy001 is a conscientious editor with a particular interest in islands, shorelines and such. He would be worth an approach. Doug butler (talk) 02:00, 18 February 2015 (UTC) Hope you've had no further health scares and are now fully mobile. Doug butler (talk) 02:00, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Lisette Kohlhagen, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page John Dowie (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.