- User talk:Edward/archive1
- User talk:Edward/archive2
- User talk:Edward/archive3
- User talk:Edward/archive4
- 1 PMS
- 2 Appropedia
- 3 Category:Olympic films
- 4 Disambiguation link notification for October 13
- 5 Find Link usage
- 6 Find link Internal Server Error
- 7 Invitation to WikiProject Brands
- 8 TRS-80 proposed split
- 9 Talkback
- 10 File:2uktax2004-5.png missing description details
- 11 Find Link
- 12 Bug with Find_link and possible cause
- 13 Help editing
- 14 Find link 03 September 2013
- 15 List of refrigerants
- 16 September 2013
- 17 High German consonant shift and Ingvaeonic nasal spirant law
- 18 Category:Collapsed buildings
- 19 Notification of automated file description generation
- 20 Jean-Pierre Landau
- 21 Speedy deletion nomination of Jean-Pierre Landau
- 22 Find links App
- 23 Poop patrol
- 24 Category:Chalk pits
- 25 Invitation to join the Ten Year Society
- 26 Quayside photos
- 27 Financial Economics review
- 28 Poop patrol
When you've been restoring biased, POV-pushing material into an article, you should not be protecting the article in any version, much less in the version that contains the biased information per WP:INVOLVED.
I realize that the POV pushing isn't necessarily obvious unless you have either read the sources or know something about the subject matter, but the material is seriously skewed. For example, the unregistered user would like you to believe that Carol Tavris was the only person to ever believe that PMS has been misdiagnosed, or that Western women's awareness of PMS might skew their survey responses (a serious problem with surveys that is well documented for every behavioral disorder from autism to substance abuse). WhatamIdoing (talk) 17:38, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
- I think some of your criticisms are correct. I've unprotected the article. Edward (talk) 18:46, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
- To make it work I need access to the mediawiki API on Appropedia. Do you know the URL for the API? http://www.appropedia.org/w/api.php doesn't work. Edward (talk) 23:10, 20 July 2012 (UTC)
Category:Olympic films, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the Categories for discussion page. Thank you. SuperMarioMan 15:34, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Harrods Aviation, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Aviation in the United Kingdom (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.
Find Link usage
You may want to back off your excessive use of the Find link tool to populate links in articles, as you are linking rather common terms that should not be linked in many cases per WP:OVERLINK, things like "pizza delivery" and "taxi rank". --MASEM (t) 12:31, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
- Copied from email I am continuously getting server error for last 15-20 minutes in http://edwardbetts.com/find_link
Error message below
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, edwarddebian.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log. Apache/2.2.17 (Debian) Server at edwardbetts.com Port 80
- Email bouced back Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
Technical details of permanent failure: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 Unrouteable address (state 13).
- Thanks for the message. I fixed both problems. find_link is now working and I corrected the error reporting e-mail address. Edward (talk) 12:53, 10 November 2012 (UTC)
Invitation to WikiProject Brands
I notice that you recently contributed to the TRS-80 article and wondered if you were interested in adding your opinion to the discussion on the proposed article split. If you have no strong opinion either way, or don't wish to contribute, please feel free to ignore this message. Thank you for your time. Ubcule (talk) 16:08, 17 March 2013 (UTC)
File:2uktax2004-5.png missing description details
is missing a description and/or other details on its image description page. If possible, please add this information. This will help other editors make better use of the image, and it will be more informative to readers.
If the information is not provided, the image may eventually be proposed for deletion, a situation which is not desirable, and which can easily be avoided.If you have any questions, please see Help:Image page. Thank you. Theo's Little Bot (error?) 09:37, 14 April 2013 (UTC)
Hey Edward, I just recently tried to use findlink, and each time I clicked on a article to add a link, (I believe) the redirect from a http url to a https removed the change that the tool was supposed to insert into the edit. The foundation recently switched all logged in users from http to https. Would you be able to fix this? Sadads (talk) 03:20, 23 August 2013 (UTC)
- Just demoed it while logged out, and it still works fine, so I am imagining it is the recent foundation change in policy, Sadads (talk) 03:22, 23 August 2013 (UTC)
Can you help sourcing this page [LCT] ?
It seems Find link is not working. It is not making any change in articles. You can try here. Click on "List of Bengali film.." -- 00:59, 3 September 2013 (UTC)
- This is now fixed. The problem was was caused by the recent Wikipedia switch to HTTPS. Thanks. Edward (talk)
List of refrigerants
I am leaving this message with you as you had previously edited List of refrigerants. I noticed that an edit 'scrambled' the column position of a significant amount of data. The scrambling would be tedious to remedy by hand. I reverted to this version by 5 July 2012 EmausBot which is previous to the problem edits. This may have undid one of your edits. Please consider reapplying your edit, if necessary. You may want to discuss changes on talk:List of refrigerants#Reverted to 5 July 2012 EmausBot edit. Cheers Jim1138 (talk) 04:30, 19 September 2013 (UTC)
Hello, I'm BracketBot. I have automatically detected that your edit to Institutionalized discrimination may have broken the syntax by modifying 2 ""s. If you have, don't worry: just edit the page again to fix it. If I misunderstood what happened, or if you have any questions, you can leave a message on my operator's talk page.
- List of unpaired brackets remaining on the page:
- ethnic group and gender. A hiring decision such as this has the potential to perpetuate racial and [[gender [[inequality in the workplace]]. Because the employees and the employer probably do not even
Category:Collapsed buildings, which you created, has been nominated for possible deletion, merging, or renaming. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the Categories for discussion page. Thank you. Paul_012 (talk) 21:30, 19 November 2013 (UTC)
Notification of automated file description generation
Your upload of File:British Library Gate.jpg or contribution to its description is noted, and thanks (even if belatedly) for your contribution. In order to help make better use of the media, an attempt has been made by an automated process to identify and add certain information to the media's description page.
This notification is placed on your talk page because a bot has identified you either as the uploader of the file, or as a contributor to its metadata. It would be appreciated if you could carefully review the information the bot added. To opt out of these notifications, please follow the instructions here. Thanks! Message delivered by Theo's Little Bot (opt-out) 14:14, 24 February 2014 (UTC)
Speedy deletion nomination of Jean-Pierre Landau
A tag has been placed on Jean-Pierre Landau requesting that it be speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done under section A7 of the criteria for speedy deletion, because the article appears to be about a person, organization (band, club, company, etc.), web content or organised event, but it does not indicate how or why the subject is important or significant: that is, why an article about that subject should be included in an encyclopedia. Under the criteria for speedy deletion, such articles may be deleted at any time. Please read more about what is generally accepted as notable.
If you think this page should not be deleted for this reason, you may contest the nomination by visiting the page and clicking the button labelled "Click here to contest this speedy deletion". This will give you the opportunity to explain why you believe the page should not be deleted. However, be aware that once a page is tagged for speedy deletion, it may be removed without delay. Please do not remove the speedy deletion tag from the page yourself, but do not hesitate to add information in line with Wikipedia's policies and guidelines. If the page is deleted, and you wish to retrieve the deleted material for future reference or improvement, you can place a request here. Chris Arnesen 19:20, 2 March 2014 (UTC)
Hi! Thank you for creating such a great tool. Would you mind explaining to me how it works. I have tried to feed in article titles and all I get is ""searching for article xxxxxxx 0 found (7 total)"". My question is what follows after these results. Answer on my talk page. Thanks in advance. Juhuyuta (talk) 16:37, 25 March 2014 (UTC)
- Your answer makes a lot of sense. I now understand how the app works. Seems the articles I had tried to use were not having the suggestions part below ""searching for article xxxxxxx 0 found (7 total)"". The last line I was having was ""searching for article xxxxxxx 0 found (7 total)"". And are you adding the edit summaries automatically or typing them in? Thanks a bunch.Answer on my talk page. Thanks in advance. Juhuyuta (talk) 05:38, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
Dear Edward, we met at the last Cambridge meetup and I told you a bit about the bot that I had written for me to patrol easily confused words such as preform, posses, Thrity, and in particular my longterm program to reduce the amount of staring in Bollywood. Since then the latest operator of the bot has retired, but the code is available, though it has a couple of outstanding bugs (recently it has only run a few queries per week before it falls over and it has never been able to exclude safe phrases if they are wikilinked). In an ideal world I would like to get the thing enhanced to the point where we can offer it to other language wikis as a tool for dealing with errors where there are too many false positives too use AWB etc. I certainly can't properly tackle forth unless we can fix the wikilink problem and put Forth Bridge in the safe phrases, but regardless of whether we can do that I would be very grateful if you would adopt it and become the third operator of that bot. ϢereSpielChequers 07:43, 2 April 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Edward, I was wondering if you were coming to wikimania and if so whether we could talk about poop patrol? ϢereSpielChequers 22:01, 4 June 2014 (UTC)
Hi there - I recently came across Category:Chalk pits, which you created, when I was perusing Category:Geography, which you had chosen as its sole parent cat. Category:Chalk pits stood out like a sore thumb because it just didn't belong in such a high-level parent cat. So I took a look at its contents and came up with two new & improved parent cats for it. However, I have a question for you, which I was unable to answer to my satisfaction even after looking at all of the articles (most of them being one-line stubs), because there is no main article for Chalk pit. Are all Chalk pits the result of mining activity -- in other words, are they all in fact "quarries"? Or are some of them natural formations? (Please leave a note at my talk page to let me know that you've replied.) Regards, Cgingold (talk) 21:54, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- P.S. Do you really reside in both Cambridge AND San Francisco, as your User Page seems to be saying? If so, that's quite a feat! :) Cgingold (talk) 21:57, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
Invitation to join the Ten Year Society
I'd like to extend a cordial invitation to you to join the Ten Year Society, an informal group for editors who've been participating in the Wikipedia project for ten years or more.
Here are 2 photos I took yesterday after the meet-up, as requested. Not my best work, I know!
Financial Economics review
When convenient, please visit Financial economics - I've done a major edit a few months back. Thanks. Thanks. Fintor (talk) — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 08:22, 2 July 2014 (UTC)
I wonder if you would have some time to look at User_talk:WereSpielChequers#Poop_patrol. I have given the prototype a pretty thorough going over now, have some anomalies or requested tweeks and am ready to apply it to more easily confused words. ϢereSpielChequers 15:18, 28 August 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry, I've not had a chance to do any more work on it. I'm still interested and I'll get back to it as soon as possible. Edward (talk) 17:46, 28 August 2014 (UTC)