User talk:Gaurav

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

/Talk archive 2004-05 | /Talk archive Jan 2006 to Sep 2006 | /Talk archive Sep 2006 to Apr 2010 | /Talk archive May 2010 to September 2011

Thanks for the collapsible tip[edit]

Hey Gaurav. It's Spencer from the Wikipedia Loves Libraries meeting. Thanks a lot for cluing me into the art of collapsing tables. This tool was indispensable as far as converting my html tables into wiki ones. I've been using more CSS to make my user page look a little nicer as well, and I like how it's coming along. I hear about the possibility of associating style sheets with wiki pages, and I think I might jump in on that. First, I'm going to make some userboxes for writers that are oddly missing from the gallery. Thanks again for your help. Happy editing. Ender and Peter 07:27, 29 October 2011 (UTC)

Oh wow, your user page is looking nice! :D Glad I could help! -- Gaurav (talk) 07:48, 29 October 2011 (UTC)

WLL[edit]

Hi Gaurav! Thanks for putting together the Wikipedia Loves Library event in MN. It'd be grand to have a report about it (no matter how short or long) for This Month in GLAM. I do hope you or another attendee can provide a description of how the event went, outcomes and perhaps images (with links to any Wiki space). Please visit here and contribute if you can. It can be in the main features or the briefly section. Thanks again for coordinating the event and for contributing to Wikipedia :) SarahStierch (talk) 20:47, 31 October 2011 (UTC)

Thanks, Sarah! I'll try to have something written up this week. Don't think anybody took photos, unfortunately, but I guess we can say "It happened! People showed up! Pizza was consumed!" :). Btw, your Women and Wikimedia site is awesome! -- Gaurav (talk) 23:51, 31 October 2011 (UTC)

WP:ROALD[edit]

Hello, Gaurav, We are wondering if you would like to join the Roald Dahl task force as you have contributed a lot to the articles in our scope. We hope you can join!

Please feel free to add to this list. If you feel a task has been completed feel free to remove it and start a new one!

  1. Become a member of the task force and encourage others to do so.
  2. Tag articles for the task force.
  3. Improve: George's Marvellous Medicine.
  4. Improve: Going Solo.
  5. Work on all Roald Dahl related articles mainly focusing on stubs.
  6. Assess articles on class and importance.
  7. Get Roald Dahl to FA or GA

sillybillypiggy¡SIGN NOW OR ELSE! 17:29, 14 December 2011 (UTC)

Thanks for the invite, and the task force box! I don't know if/how much time I have for this, but I will help if/where I can! -- Gaurav (talk) 23:03, 14 December 2011 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Real Life Barnstar.jpg The Real Life Barnstar
Thanks for making Wikipedia:Meetup/Boulder/October 2011 happen! Fun times. ★NealMcB★ (talk) 14:33, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
Aww! Thanks so much. We should do something else on campus in 2012! -- Gaurav (talk) 23:26, 16 December 2011 (UTC)

Your input is needed on the SOPA initiative[edit]

Hi Gaurav,

You are receiving this message either because you expressed an opinion about the proposed SOPA blackout before full blackout and soft blackout were adequately differentiated, or because you expressed general support without specifying a preference. Please ensure that your voice is heard by clarifying your position accordingly.

Thank you.

Message delivered as per request on ANI. -- The Helpful Bot 16:31, 14 January 2012 (UTC)

Done - thanks! -- Gaurav (talk) 20:13, 14 January 2012 (UTC)

WikiWomen's History Month March meetups[edit]

Maybe you'd like to consider organizing a Boulder meetup in March for Wikipedia:WikiWomen's History Month :)--Pharos (talk) 19:05, 6 February 2012 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Real Life Barnstar.jpg The Real Life Barnstar
I, SarahStierch, hereby award you, Gaurav, with the Real Life Barnstar for your participation in GLAMcamp DC. I'm so happy you were able to come and I hope you found inspiration, as I know I did, in the weekend. I look forward to seeing what happens next! Thank you! SarahStierch (talk) 16:47, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
It was my pleasure (as well as the best camp ever!!!1one). Thank you so much for organizing it, and for having me! -- Gaurav (talk) 01:14, 14 February 2012 (UTC)

Answer to your question on Mudd Library Blog[edit]

Hi Gaurav. I just finished the edit-a-thon how-to today. Hope it's useful. I've only run one edit-a-thon, but I'd be glad to offer advice if you hold one at your school! Undead q 20:00, 28 February 2012 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Undead q (talkcontribs)

That looks great, Undead q! Thanks so much! :D -- Gaurav (talk) 20:03, 28 February 2012 (UTC)

WikiProject India Tag & Assess 2012 Contest[edit]

Hello friends, we are a number of editors from WikiProject India have got together to assess the many thousands of articles under the stewardship of the project, and we'd love to have you, a fellow member, join us. These articles require assessment, that is, the addition of a WikiProject template to the talk page of an article, assessing it for quality and importance and adding a few extra parameters to it.

As of March 11, 2012, 07:00 UTC, WikiProject India has 95,998 articles under its stewardship. Of these 13,980 articles are completely unassessed (both for class and importance) and another 42,415 articles are unassessed for importance only. Accordingly, a Tag & Assess 2012 drive-cum-contest has begun from March 01, 2012 to last till May 31, 2012.

If you are new to assessment, you can learn the minimum about how to evaluate from Part One of the Assessment Guide. Part Two of the Guide will help you learn to employ the full functionality of the talk page template, should you choose to do so.

You can sign up on the Tag & Assess page. There are a number of awards to be given in recognition of your efforts. Come & join us to take part in this exciting new venture. You'll learn more about India in this way.

ssriram_mt (talk) & AshLin (talk) (Drive coordinators)

Delivered per request on Wikipedia:Bot requests. 01:15, 12 March 2012 (UTC) The Helpful Bot 01:15, 12 March 2012 (UTC)

Thank you![edit]

GLAM barnstar.png GLAM:US rock star
Hi Gaurav! Thanks so much for helping to draft out the state pages and make them so amazing. I'm so glad to have you as a part of GLAM-Wiki US. With your help, it will surely keep getting better and better! Thanks for being great! LoriLee (talk) 20:44, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
Thanks so much, Lori -- both for your kind message as well as your crazy-awesome work on GLAM:US. It's amazing to watch it turning into such a large, impressive, important thing! -- Gaurav (talk) 23:23, 24 March 2012 (UTC)

Commented on your proposal[edit]

Please see Talk:Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica#External links banner. Thanks, EdJohnston (talk) 02:39, 22 May 2012 (UTC)

That's awesome: thanks so much, EdJohnston! -- Gaurav (talk) 01:50, 24 May 2012 (UTC)

Nomination for deletion of Template:Ports[edit]

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Ports has been nominated for deletion. This template creates a floating portal linkbox. You are invited to comment on the discussion at Wikipedia:Templates for discussion#Template:Ports. Yours aye,  Buaidh  20:23, 12 June 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for the head's up, Buaidh! I haven't used floating portal linkboxes much, so I don't really have an opinion on this deletion. Thanks for letting me know about it, and all the best with getting your view across! -- Gaurav (talk) 17:32, 23 June 2012 (UTC)

Barnstar that I don't entirely know how to give you[edit]

Wiknic barnstar.svg A local wiknic organiser bloke thing with savings!!!1! barnstar
This here failing-to-entirely-render-properly barnstar is hereby slapped on your talkpage as a general thank you from us'ns for organising that there dealy-bobber-thingy thing. Yes. Although with any luck more will be sorted out ahead of time next time, though that's neither here nor there... it worked out, at any rate. -— Isarra 22:17, 30 June 2012 (UTC)
Yaaaay! Thanks so much, Isarra! -- Gaurav (talk) 23:09, 30 June 2012 (UTC)

Boulder meetup[edit]

Hi Gaurav,

Did the group end up going somewhere else? I showed up around 12:30 and did not see anyone. I set up in the pavilion next to the rocketship; eventually four other people showed up and we still had a good time =) --gribeco (talk) 02:53, 3 July 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia Takes Boulder photo event[edit]

I'd like to encourage you to start a Boulder page with Wikipedia:Wikipedia Takes America#Event page wizard. Or you can do the same at the regular Colorado meetup page if you like.--Pharos (talk) 12:36, 10 August 2012 (UTC)

  • BTW, when you create the page soon, National Register of Historic Places listings in Boulder County, Colorado is the list of sites that are eligible for the larger Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest.--Pharos (talk) 20:56, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
  • Thanks! Looks like most of those are done, though. I was hoping to focus on getting encyclopedia-quality photos of some of the older buildings on campus, such as Hale Science and Old Main. But I haven't heard back from any of the photo clubs, so erm let's see! -- Gaurav (talk) 22:09, 16 August 2012 (UTC)

Education on the Western Slope[edit]

Greetings Gaurav,

I am Orschstaffer, autodydactic by nature. You may have noticed my interest in Colorado and especially on the western slope. I contact you today because I intend to propose some things to Western State Colorado University in regards to Ambassador Program and the Leslie Savage Library in regards to Wikipedia Loves Libraries and I would like to head up some sort of Wikipedia Meetup on this side of the Divide (Gunnison Basin). I have an article started for Jackie Burt, founder of Orsch school in Gunnison, Colorado. (noticably a COI entanglement) I would hate to see it deleted because of this. I work sporadically on it, but feel it is close to being worthy of article namespace. I would really like to see it's entry as a Good Article (or better) and would like some peer review and other contributor's edits. Mrs. Jackie would like to see it as an article rather than in my userspace. Meanwhile, I am finding that I love editing Wikipedia, and enjoying the other Wikimedia Foundation Projects which you can see me at. Time is on my side as I seem to get better at editing although I know that with time, I get older and wiser. Perhaps you may be able to help me with guidance or just plain ole critique. I shall continue with my editing and plans as stated above and as no one so far has said anything to me, I shall continue as I have so far, (Mother used to say, Silence means consent.) I have recently seen a special contributions page (mine) at Wikimedia somewhere, which I didn't mark as watched or favorites and haven't found it again. but it is out there as I have pages at Wikipedia, Wikimedia (Meta-Wiki), Wikiversity, and other global accounts as User:Orschstaffer. Meanwhile, my signature reflects most of where I have been. Thanks for your considerations and help if you should choose so, respectfully,

O  MC 4/ π ≠ 2 —Preceding undated comment added 16:56, 10 August 2012 (UTC)

Hi, Orschstaffer! Nice to meet you, and welcome to Wikipedia! I agree that you're going to have WP:COI (and WP:Notability!) problems with writing articles about a school you are working at; I suggest you look for other contributors in your area who know about the school, who don't have a direct connection with the school. Alternatively, shelve the plan for a while and spend your time editing articles about other subjects you are interested in -- as you have been doing with Colorado towns! The best thing you can do is to get more experience with editing Wikipedia; that'll put you in a better place to argue for the school article when you need to, and you'll meet other editors who might share your interest. I also agree with Jeff G. that you might want to consider changing your username: it should reflect you as an individual, not your role in another organization. We want you to continue being an editor long after you are no longer a staffer at Orsch!
I hope you're having a good time on Wikipedia! -- Gaurav (talk) 23:56, 13 August 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for your speedy response and advice. The welcome left on my usertalk page with its links are great, many of which I have reviewed and try to practice already. I have contacted Leslie J. Savage Library on campus of Western State Colorado University about Wiki Loves Libraries and have started the process to gain appointments with respective people about the Ambassador Program at their University. Presently awaiting response from the local historian Dr. Vandenbusche at the College regarding some historical expansion in the Colorado Articles, hince my joining the Colorado Project. I would be glad to discuss benefits and ramifications of creating a new account with someone especially as I have some reservations about doing so.

Again thanks for the Welcome, as you may notice, I plan on sticking around.

 O = M C 4  15:31, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
All of that sounds awesome! If you're planning on organizing local events, you should check out the WALRUS committee and maybe even join their mailing list! Also: you don't have to create a new account -- you should be able to change your username, which will keep your edit history while just changing the name of your account. Once you've had your account renamed, you can also recreate the "Orschstaffer" account (so nobody else can grab it) and redirect the user page to your new account. Hope that helps, and glad to hear that you're planning on sticking around! :) -- Gaurav (talk) 22:29, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
Now I am liking that plan with the accounts, not sure how it gets around the coi but it conforms to my designs globally. :) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Orschstaffer (talkcontribs) 22:41, 16 August 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for moving Western State College of Colorado to Western State Colorado University. (and its talk page).  O = M C 4  02:08, 17 August 2012 (UTC)

Contactery of folks[edit]

Is there any good way to get messages out to all the central Colorado area folks (or Colorado in general, but these in particular for reasons of general plausibility) besides just spamming everyone's talkpages and putting up a geonotice when things comes up? A good way to contact folks for general discussion and planning, like a noticeboard for this stuff that they could be watching or a mailing list? And if not, what would be the best sort of thing to set up, do you suppose? I'm sort of leaning toward mailing list, myself, but I have no idea what would be most practical for the bulk of folks, or even who all might want to get involved...

Because while I've started (barely) a page for organising the general meetups we've discussed, a page doesn't do much without people to actually sort out the details. -— Isarra 20:43, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

I like mailing lists! We could set up our own list for WP Rocky Mountains (if you do that, feel free to add me as a backup!). I could e-mail User:Nealmcb, another two Wikipedians I know on campus, and we could spam talk pages to drag people in. We'd also contact Wikipedia:WikiProject Colorado and WikiMeetup Denver. It's worth a shot! I have a Facebook group as well, which has 10 members (most of whom would see the message in other places too). So: yeah. We could probably fill up a mailing list!
What's your e-mail address? Are you on Google Chat? -- Gaurav (talk) 22:07, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
Or "Wikipedia Front Range"! -- Gaurav (talk) 22:19, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
Hmm... this is why we would need a mailing list, so we can get people to weigh in on what to call the thing so we know what mailing list to request. Such a conundrum, except for the fact that it ain't one because you're here and you have other means! Seriously, though, if you could get the folks to come by somewhere where we can set things up in a centralised location, that would be awesome. And yeah, I'm generally on gchat as lyrithya, and on IRC as Isarra, so either of those would be a good way to talk in real time, sort out some more. Hmm... -— Isarra 04:58, 20 September 2012 (UTC)
I've added you on Gchat ... I think? So: I have a cunning plan:
  1. Set up a mailing list for Wikimedia Colorado (going by the naming scheme, that'll be Wikimedia-US-CO). I feel like having one just for the front range would be limiting, and doing it for the entire Rocky Mountain region would discourage the kind of who-wants-to-drive-down-to-Fort-Collins chat that a CO mailing list could have. It might also be nice to listen in on other stuff happening in the Farthest Corners of this four-cornered state! I can take the lead on getting the mailing list sorted.
  2. We then get in touch with everybody who might be interested in WmCO stuff, including:
  3. Once we've collected everybody we can, we starting talking about our ambitious plans for regular meetups in Boulder and see if that goes anywhere.
Does that sound good to you? -- Gaurav (talk) 22:32, 20 September 2012 (UTC)
Better plan than any other I've seen, not that I've seen any others. But regardless, this should be good. I'll see about submitting a bug for the mailing list and poke the guy who looks after that stuff later. A larger-region one might not be so bad either, mind - just because a given announcement/conversation is only relevant to some of the people doesn't mean people won't make/have it, since those for whom it isn't relevant can just ignore it, and seeing activity in general can help encourage further activity. Question is, would it actually help anything? Certainly be less confusing to keep things more local. -— Isarra 07:31, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
Ha, it's more like "I wouldn't want to be on a mailing list for all of the Rocky Mountains region because I get too many e-mails already -- but if you're going to submit the bug, then it's your call! I suspect we'll have to reorganize that mailing list at some point anyway (hopefully because we have too many people and not too few). Also: being up late sucks sometimes. -- Gaurav (talk) 07:39, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
Well, even if it does get fairly active, how active would a regional thing even be? Same argument could probably be applied to 'all of colorado' for anyone not familiar with how dead these things can get, but maybe I should just shut up. I dunno. It's not that late, is it? Or... uh... crap. It is. -— Isarra 08:25, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
You're thinking too much. Just apply for a/any mailing list and let's get this show on the road! -- 67.176.95.96 (talk) 17:00, 21 September 2012 (UTC) (but really User:Gaurav)
Mmkay. Submitting the bug involves making the contents publicly viewable, including your email address as an admin, however. Would that be a problem? -— Isarra 19:58, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
Nope! My e-mail address is reasonably public anyway. -- Gaurav (talk) 20:09, 21 September 2012 (UTC)

This sounds like a great idea and I would love to get in on it! Lisa N Marrs (talk) 23:23, 20 September 2012 (UTC)

Lisa: I was trying to find you on WP yesterday! User:Lisa Marrs didn't work :-(. Yay to have you on board for this -- I'll definitely make sure you're added to the mailing list once it happens. But why aren't you at https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipedia.boulder -- is it just 'cos it's so quiet? -- Gaurav (talk) 23:29, 20 September 2012 (UTC)

Mailing list[edit]

We have a mailing list! You should have received an email with the stuffs as well, so now we can... uh... get confused? -— Isarra 01:18, 24 September 2012 (UTC)

Haha, I did! We can now get confused, but only if by "get confused" you mean "get busy" and/or "get awesome". Thanks so much for making this happen, Isarra! -- Gaurav (talk) 05:49, 24 September 2012 (UTC)

Missouri Botanical Garden[edit]

I'm exceedingly happy this is happening and I'd be glad to help. This may tie in to our next St. Louis meetup at Webster Groves Public Library for WP:Wikipedia Loves Libraries. There's no date set but it is looking like early November. I'm living in Columbia, MO now but I try to go home to St. Louis every chance I get. You may also ask User:Elonka and User:Chaser who are active St. Louis meetup participants. User:TimVickers was also in St. Louis for our first meetup though he is not as active anymore. Marcus Qwertyus (talk) 13:54, 9 October 2012 (UTC)

Hi Marcus -- thanks so much for the offer of help, and for pointing me to the WLL meeting! I'll let the BHL people know about it, and I'll be in touch once I know how we're moving forward on this. Thanks again! -- Gaurav (talk) 07:18, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
This sounds like a fascinating project. You might want to read up on WikiSpecies, Digital Automated Identification SYstem and other tools linked from Automated species identification. If the images can be automagically tagged with a probable species identification (or even taxon for that matter) it will go a long way to increasing the utility of the images. Conversely if the images are poorly tagged it will be a long time before the mess can be straightened out. For vegetation the compressibility of images is highly dependent on the compression algorithm chosen, because vegetation is inherently fractal. There should therefore be some thought given to how best to thumbnail these images. Of course maximum resolution is always sought for any archival records, but that doesn't mean it is the right choice for routine display. LeadSongDog come howl! 21:18, 31 October 2012 (UTC)

A cup of coffee for you![edit]

A small cup of coffee.JPG Thanks for your presentation tonight about the natural history illustrations. Let's have a voice talk sometime. I will email you. Blue Rasberry (talk) 01:48, 11 October 2012 (UTC)

Ack! Reminder. Thing.[edit]

Sorry, I... I am so bad at getting around to doing anything in good time. Doing too much, for that matter. None of it is even the right things, and what with throwing around crazy estimates and implausible promises oh gods what have I gotten myself into this time?

But nevermind that, I can at least remind you a little late of this this and this and can you post a thingy to the mailing list too? Sorry to be of no help at all, but I am just plain useless. Buckets. Ack! -— Isarra 04:20, 26 October 2012 (UTC)

Page created! E-mail sent! Geonotice requested! (But I'd really like editing/feedback help on the geonotice if you have time -- and I'm also not sure we need to geonotice all of the Front Range, but that's what I'm doing now). -- Gaurav (talk) 15:02, 26 October 2012 (UTC)
Cool. And for the geonotice, more information on what the event is might help - mention 'meet them for a talk on sourcing or whatever to spread the word to the general public' or something? I have no idea. That sounds so snooty. -— Isarra 15:55, 26 October 2012 (UTC)
And for the range, that's fine; need a wide spread just to be sure it catches what we want, considering the nature of IPs, and they'll sort that out. -— Isarra 15:57, 26 October 2012 (UTC)
Haha, yeah, that does sound snooty. Do you think WPians will be interested in open access? I feel like they'll be plugged in enough that they'd be more interested in meeting other WPians/us. But I don't know :-/. -- Gaurav (talk) 16:58, 26 October 2012 (UTC)

Hi Gaurav![edit]

This is an anonymous message being left on your talk page to demonstrate conversations. I hope you don't mind! -- 128.138.65.191 (talk) 02:44, 1 November 2012 (UTC)

This is a reply. You can add new replies to any message by starting it with one or more ':' -- this will shift it a few spaces to the left, so it looks like a distinct reply. -- 128.138.65.191 (talk) 02:46, 1 November 2012 (UTC)

Diving back in[edit]

Hey there, Guarav. I regret that I missed Wikipedia Loves Libraries. I've been very timid to do so, but I'd actually like to take part in a little more here. You should definitely let me know if anything was coming up that you'd like help organizing. I have a working laptop again, but no real method of transportation. Still, I like to think I might still be of some use... Ender and Peter 22:21, 13 November 2012 (UTC)

Meetup[edit]

Pick a time, please. Doesn't matter so much when as just that WE HAVE ONE and let people know. And such. Also, other thing. Other thing? I am so frazzled. -— Isarra 21:31, 10 December 2012 (UTC)

Good enough? -- Gaurav (talk) 08:18, 11 December 2012 (UTC)

About semi-automation of "Template:TaxonIds"[edit]

Hi Gaurav-bhai. Tried it with a number articles, most recently with Tetropium pilosicorne. The script still appears to miss online db-s, in this particular case Tetropium pilosicorne at Tetropium pilosicorn from Encyclopedia of Life. Your thoughts about this? Peter aka --Shirt58 (talk) 13:13, 26 December 2012 (UTC)

Hi Peter! Glad to hear somebody's been using my program. I tried to fix it but broke it instead -- sorry! I'll try again tomorrow from my Linux machine. -- Gaurav (talk) 10:46, 27 December 2012 (UTC)

Greetings from WikiProject Open Access[edit]

Dear Gaurav,

it is now one year since WikiProject Open Access was started by User:Bluerasberry on January 10, 2012. Since then, the project has advanced modestly, but we have not interacted much. For the coming year, we certainly want to improve on that.

We also plan to overhaul the project pages to make them more conducive to collaboration, and we are pondering the idea of expanding the concept of a WikiProject Open Access to projects other than the English Wikipedia, e.g. to other languages or to Wikimedia Commons. You are warmly invited to add your voice to all that. We would also appreciate if you would share some of your OA-related activities by way of our news ticker or via the monthly Open Access report that is part of the GLAM newsletter (to which you can subscribe here), or as you see fit otherwise.

As a visual token of the anniversary, I am adding today's Open Access File of the Day. Feel free to nominate files yourself. As of today, commons:Category:Open access (publishing) contains more than 15,000 files, of which about 2/3 are video and sound files uploaded by the Open Access Media Importer.

Thanks for being part of the project, and looking forward to more interaction. With a smile, -- Daniel Mietchen - WiR/OS (talk) 23:44, 10 January 2013 (UTC)

Thanks Daniel! I'm looking forward to contributing as time permits, particularly on the Biodiversity Heritage Library front! -- Gaurav (talk) 23:53, 13 January 2013 (UTC)

Denver Public Library Digital Collection[edit]

Hi, I'm posting this here as your name is listed as a contact on here and maybe you can pass me onto someone else if its more suitable. I'm an editor from Wales (UK) and I've just created an article about Griff Evans on the Welsh Wikipedia, and I've just come across a photo of him and his hotel in Jamestown, Colorado on Denver Public Library's Digital Collectios website which I'd like to use. Sadly they've slapped their copyright an all their material, regardless of when the original was created. I could email them directly myself of course and ask for an exeption, but just thought maybe its something that a local (ish?) user might like to take up and see if the whole collection can be opened up and might be more succesful than I. Or maybe it would be usefull if I made the request first and then it was followed up by someone from a local GLAM group. Thanks in advance for any help/advice. --Rhyswynne (talk) 13:44, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the reply. I've not contacted them yet, but when I eventually get round to it, I'll copy you in.--Rhyswynne (talk) 10:41, 13 May 2013 (UTC)

CiteULike related request[edit]

Greetings, MrVaidya. I am Demeter on CiteULike. I am Ellie Kesselman, due south and one state to the west of your location, in the offline world. I like your scholarly article bookmarks. We have overlapping interests, despite our differing academic and vocational backgrounds. Many people don't know how to retrieve messages on CiteULike. I'll leave you a message there too. Will you be my connection on CiteULike?

You linked to your academic institution, from which it was only one step here, so I hope you don't feel "hunted-down"!  ;o)

Thank you for considering my request. --FeralOink (talk) 11:41, 30 May 2013 (UTC)

OF COURSE! I would have noticed your request there eventually (I still use Citeulike a lot a lot), but thanks for pinging me here as well! And NO, I like to maintain a coherent online identity, so I don't feel hunted down at all! ^_^ -- Gaurav (talk) 16:40, 30 May 2013 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Meetup/Boulder: Wikipedia Takes Boulder/Colorado in September[edit]

Hi Gaurav! Would you be be interesting in helping to set up the second annual photo expedition for Wikipedia:Wikipedia Takes America for Boulder/Colorado in September? You could copy from the old Wikipedia:Wikipedia Takes America/Boulder/2012, and we also have a little event page creation wizard at Wikipedia:Wikipedia Takes America/Planning if you'd like to use that.--Pharos (talk) 06:22, 23 August 2013 (UTC)

I'll try my darnedest not to -- hopefully others will be interested in trying to do a better job than me this year! If not, I'll try something. I don't know that we have a lot of obvious photos to take, but we can turn it into a picnic or an editathon or something. Let's see, and thanks for the reminder! -- Gaurav (talk) 21:45, 25 August 2013 (UTC)

Economic property proposals on Wikidata[edit]

Hi Gaurav!

Would you possibly be interested to comment on the new economic property proposals for Wikidata? Here is a link: http://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Term

Thanks, Mcnabber091 (talk) 19:07, 26 August 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for asking me, Mcnabber091! I'm afraid Wikidata is way too complicated for me to contribute much. All the best with your project! -- Gaurav (talk) 00:24, 29 August 2013 (UTC)

Talk:Bradley Manning/October 2013 move request[edit]

Greetings. Because you participated in the August 2013 move request regarding this subject, you may be interested in participating in the current discussion. This notice is provided pursuant to Wikipedia:Canvassing#Appropriate notification. Cheers! bd2412 T 21:29, 4 October 2013 (UTC)

Books and Bytes: The Wikipedia Library Newsletter[edit]

Books and Bytes

Volume 1, Issue 1, October 2013

Eurasian Eagle-Owl Maurice van Bruggen.JPG

by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs)

Greetings Wikipedia Library members! Welcome to the inaugural edition of Books and Bytes, TWL’s monthly newsletter. We're sending you the first edition of this opt-in newsletter, because you signed up, or applied for a free research account: HighBeam, Credo, Questia, JSTOR, or Cochrane. To receive future updates of Books and Bytes, please add your name to the subscriber's list. There's lots of news this month for the Wikipedia Library, including new accounts, upcoming events, and new ways to get involved...

New positions: Sign up to be a Wikipedia Visiting Scholar, or a Volunteer Wikipedia Librarian

Wikipedia Loves Libraries: Off to a roaring start this fall in the United States: 29 events are planned or have been hosted.

New subscription donations: Cochrane round 2; HighBeam round 8; Questia round 4... Can we partner with NY Times and Lexis-Nexis??

New ideas: OCLC innovations in the works; VisualEditor Reference Dialog Workshop; a photo contest idea emerges

News from the library world: Wikipedian joins the National Archives full time; the Getty Museum releases 4,500 images; CERN goes CC-BY

Announcing WikiProject Open: WikiProject Open kicked off in October, with several brainstorming and co-working sessions

New ways to get involved: Visiting scholar requirements; subject guides; room for library expansion and exploration

Read the full newsletter

Thanks for reading! All future newsletters will be opt-in only. Have an item for the next issue? Leave a note for the editor on the Suggestions page. --The Interior 20:12, 27 October 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBT[edit]

I just wanted to bring Wikimedia LGBT, a proposed user group and thematic organization that promotes the development of content on Wikimedia projects which is of interest to LGBT communities, to your attention. I am sure you are so busy with your current projects, but I hope you might be able to direct people to this group if they are interested in LGBT content in any way. Of course, you are also more than welcome to indicate your interest/support, if you wish. Hopefully we can get some LGBT-related GLAM/Education/etc. projects up and running in the near future. Best, --Another Believer (Talk) 20:13, 8 November 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for letting me know about this, Another Believer! I'll definitely point anybody who's interested in this direction! -- Gaurav (talk) 22:30, 8 November 2013 (UTC)
Much appreciated, --Another Believer (Talk) 01:22, 9 November 2013 (UTC)

DYK for Boulder Public Library[edit]

Gatoclass (talk) 01:08, 24 November 2013 (UTC)

Woohoo! Thanks, Gatoclass! -- Gaurav (talk) 07:52, 24 November 2013 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Library's Books and Bytes newsletter (#2)[edit]

Books & Bytes

Eurasian Eagle-Owl Maurice van Bruggen.JPG

Sign up for monthly delivery

Welcome to the second issue of The Wikipedia Library's Books & Bytes newsletter! Read on for updates about what is going on at the intersection of Wikipedia and the library world.

Wikipedia Library highlights: New accounts, new surveys, new positions, new presentations...

Spotlight on people: Another Believer and Wiki Loves Libraries...

Books & Bytes in brief: From Dewey to Diversity conference...

Further reading: Digital library portals around the web...

Read Books & Bytes

The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs) 16:48, 5 December 2013 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Library Survey[edit]

As a subscriber to one of The Wikipedia Library's programs, we'd like to hear your thoughts about future donations and project activities in this brief survey. Thanks and cheers, Ocaasi t | c 14:57, 9 December 2013 (UTC)

Taxonomic database tool[edit]

Hi, I've just discovered this tool of yours here. I think, it's very interesting. I've just created ca:Plantilla:Bases de dades taxonòmiques and I think it would be nice to use the code of the template to add more databases to your tool. Would that be possible? Thanks, Paucabot (talk) 18:38, 13 July 2014 (UTC)

Thanks, Paucabot! I'm not actively developing TaxonIds right now, but I've filed an issue for this -- hopefully someone else will see it and figure out how to make this work! -- Gaurav (talk) 20:49, 13 July 2014 (UTC)