Hi. Sorry, but I don't agree with all of your changes to this article. Let's try to get something together that we're both happy with. Specifically:
- The international stats that you swapped in from Cole's FA profile are actually incorrect. The profile pages on the FA site are no longer updated and he's played for the under-19s once since they stopped updating them - I can happily source and cite both games for the stats, but we should have the right stats up there.
- There was previously information about Cole's grandparents, whereas now it just says "Cole is of Jamaican descent". That's less information than was there previously (and it was relevant biographical information - indeed, it actually makes him eligible to play for Jamaica, whereas being "of Jamaican descent" might not). It also now refers to him as just "Cole" immediately after mentioning both Devante and Andy, making it ambiguous. There was a reason why I wrote his first name there!
- I don't feel that removing all structure from the "Club career" section improves the article. Dividing this section by club is very standard on footballers' articles (see, for instance, David Beckham) and, for obvious reasons, is easier for the reader to navigate.
- Unless I've missed something, this section has had no new information added but the wording is now quite fragmented with a lot of short sentences.
- The rumour about Motherwell is in a paragraph with info about his Barnsley loan spell, although it has nothing to do with Barnsley (I would put this in the "Manchester City" section, since it relates to Manchester City rather than Barnsley)
- The wording in this paragraph requires you to follow "the same day" by clarifying which date that is - previously it specified the date the first time that date arose. It now seems a bit clunky to read.
- You removed the "external links" section. At the very least, a link to a player's profile on his club's site is standard on virtually every major footballer's page, and a link to his Soccerbase stats is not much less common. Not sure why this was removed.
I'm going to try to address the above now but leave the rest as it is. If you feel like making any alterations afterwards, please let me know why on my talk page and hopefully we can figure out a compromise. We'll get there! Clicriffhard (talk) 22:10, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
- Hello again. In respect of the archived links, I've been adding them since I read WP:LR recently. These paragraphs summarise the rationale:
- "The effort required to prevent link rot is significantly less than the effort required to repair or mitigate a rotten link. Therefore, prevention of link rot strengthens the encyclopedia. This guide provides strategies for preventing link rot before it happens. These include the use of web archiving services and the judicious use of citation templates.
- "Editors are encouraged to add an archive link as a part of each citation, or at least submit the referenced URL for archiving, at the same time that a citation is created or updated."
- Makes good enough sense to me - particularly when sites like theFA.com frequently delete old match reports etc. - but if you don't like it, go ahead and remove the archive urls. The archived versions of the pages will still be stored in the Wayback Machine in case the link changes or dies. Incidentally, I don't put up archived versions for those pages that necessarily evolve frequently like soccerbase stats pages, for reasons that are hopefully obvious.
- As for the "seemingly unnecessary parameters", I'm not sure which ones seem unnecessary to you but go ahead and remove them. I use the "cite web" template in the visual editor and only add the name of the site (for visual clarity in the reflist), the publisher, and the access date to the bare essentials. Perhaps the publisher is unnecessary? In any case, do what you want there, I'm happy either way. Clicriffhard (talk) 11:07, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
- You don't think that essay's "prevention is better than cure" rationale makes more sense? The clogging up is only visible to readers if they're poring over the reflist, and hopefully Cole's page won't remain this short, after all! Anyway, I'll leave it your judgement - presumably you'll be happy to fix the page when links do start to die off. Clicriffhard (talk) 11:40, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
Terry Long (footballer)
Firstly, thanks for generally tidying up etc. on Long's page. (I have already sent an "auto" thank.) However was it necessary for you to revert my edit, & for me to receive a notification that you had done so, when in effect you have merely restated the information I submitted but in a slightly different manner? Perhaps it was just for the sake of convenience? It's very basic info., which I was surprised to see was not already included. I have also used the Purkiss/Sands book as reference on other CPFC player's pages without the citation being re-written. (Although I have no doubt that your variation is correct.) Nigel Sands is also the official CPFC club historian & is always referred to as "Rev" & his books on the subject bear his title as author. I appreciate you started the article & therefore have an interest in its development but I do have other small edits I would like to make to expand the article & add a bit of colour to Terry's playing career but feel I am "treading on another's toes" if I do so.Eagleash (talk) 12:14, 20 August 2014 (UTC)