- 1 Welcome!
- 2 Response to your complaints about editing the Metaxas article
- 3 Catholicism and economics
- 4 A barnstar
- 5 Metaxas
- 6 Notice of Dispute resolution discussion
- 7 Sowell article
- 8 CV
- 9 Thanks for the Barnstar
- 10 Feast day listed at Redirects for discussion
- 11 Pontifical right vs rite
- 12 March 2014 Core Contest
- 13 A barnstar for you!
- 14 Precious
Response to your complaints about editing the Metaxas article
Thanks for your feedback. Let me respond to each of your four complaints.
1. I only added information about the National Prayer Breakfast on the basis of information already contained in main article. If you dispute this information please take it up on the National Prayer Breakfast Talk page. Otherwise I will dispute reversions.
2. I have deleted the whole sentence not only because it is completely incoherent as written but also because it contains advertising. I also will dispute reversions.
3. I am afraid that, yes, on the basis of the reference (the Washington Post) the statement can only be considered alleged give that the Washington post does not directly quote Laura Bush and does not provide reliable sources that Laura Bush really said this. Also, the award, again as referenced, can only be considered minor. Please show it to be otherwise, that for example, the award is somehow like the Pulitzer. Will dispute reversions again.
4. Regarding the Christophers, whatever they are, the reference clearly points to evangelical christianity. Please do not revert change without explaining why reference is incorrect. Also then please provide new reference. Mfhiller (talk) 05:06, 28 June 2012 (UTC)mfhiller
- On 1, I misunderstood. I thought you were claiming to use information from the WaPo article given as a reference, not the Wikipedia article. That makes sense now. On these other points, I respect your zeal for the truth about Bonhoeffer and for opposing advertising on Wikipedia. I stand be my concerns though and will continue to discuss particular points as time allows. Hugetim (talk) 13:03, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks so much. I'm really happy with the result of our editing. This is the sort of article I was looking for when I first came across Metaxas and was looking for some NPOV info about him (and found the old article deleted, understandably). Hugetim (talk) 19:59, 3 July 2012 (UTC)
Catholicism and economics
Heh Hugetim, just wondering, what does it mean to say, "I am a Catholic and an economist"? Is this some kind of Catholic joke, or is it an economist joke? Cheers. Mfhiller (talk) 06:01, 28 June 2012 (UTC)mfhiller
- I'm not sure I understand your question. I intend this to be a statement of potential conflicts of interest. It would be simpler to say "Catholic economist" but then that sounds like I am a particular kind of economist because I am Catholic, which may be misleading. I feel there is a great potential for jokes here, but I'm usually only good for self-conscious ramblings. Hugetim (talk) 12:48, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks. You've answered a joke with another joke. Maybe your "self-conscious ramblings" are not so nearly "self-conscious." Let me interject another joke: Freud allegedly smoked as many as twenty cigars a day; he also spit and hacked a lot. His spitting and hacking purportedly caused one of his patients during analysis to interrupt, complaining about the spitting and hacking. Freud simply replied, "You are lucky then. I could have farted." Funny, dowantuthink? Mfhiller (talk) 04:33, 29 June 2012 (UTC)mfhiller
|The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar|
|I am in your debt. Let me know if I can ever be of service to you. – Lionel (talk) 21:15, 4 July 2012 (UTC)|
- Wow, my first barnstar! I'm really happy to receive this. Yet, consider yourself to have no debt other to love (which I take to be St. Paul's advice in Romans 13:8). Hugetim (talk) 15:21, 5 July 2012 (UTC)
Hi Hugetim. Are u huge? Whatever. I am concerned that the Eric Metaxas article is going to continue to be a problem, as there are several editors who persist in contributing, in my view, mere advertising. In particular the references to Barnett and Greene have been deleted several times. I'm trying to be fair enough, respect wikipedia standards, etc. but this is really frustrating given that the scholarly consensus about Metaxas's version of Bonhoeffer is intentionally being deleted from the article by people who want to whitewash Metaxas. Metaxas is an empty-headed charlatan. I can't say that on WP but at the very least it should be stated that Metaxas's work on Bonhoeffer is widely acknowledged in the field of Bonhoeffer studies to be a revisionist concoction. And where Metaxas is correct, he has mostly outright plagiarised Bethge's research. And so what am I to do regarding this empty-headed charlatan plagiarist? I have over the last six months tried to create a more balanced representation of Metaxas, as per persistent complaints on the talk page about advertising etc., that now seems to be continually attacked and vandalised. I agree that the article should not be deleted, but I won't have much choice but to bring it to AFD if Metaxas's peeps keep brown-nosing. Mfhiller (talk) 03:45, 12 July 2012 (UTC)mfhiller
Notice of Dispute resolution discussion
Hello. This message is being sent to inform you that there is currently a discussion at Wikipedia:Dispute resolution noticeboard regarding an issue with which you may have been involved. The thread is "Thomas Sowell". Thank you. CartoonDiablo (talk) 20:36, 17 July 2012 (UTC)
Hi both me and Thargor got blocked because of 3RR. Anyways it seems obvious that the only tag that should stay in the article is the Undue tag per the dispute resolution. If you could remove the others it would be appreciated. CartoonDiablo (talk) 20:19, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
- No. He cannot make an edit for you. That would be a violation of WP:MEAT. – Lionel (talk) 20:48, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
- God bless us everyone. -Hugetim (talk) 17:24, 20 July 2012 (UTC)
- From WP:BURDEN: "...consider adding a citation needed tag as an interim step. Editors might object if you remove material without giving them time to provide references. It has always been good practice to try to find and cite supporting sources yourself." From WP:BRD: "BRD is not a policy. This means it is not a process that you can require other editors to follow." Otherwise, it's a fair question whether "conservative" should be there, a question more appropriate for the talk page. -Hugetim (talk) 16:52, 23 July 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the Barnstar
Feast day listed at Redirects for discussion
I have asked for a discussion to address the redirect the redirect discussion.. You might want to participate in
Pontifical right vs rite
On 24 December you reverted an anonymous edit made on 17 December. The 17 December edit was correct, inasmuch as The Legion of Christ is, indeed, a movement of pontifical right. The term "pontifical rite" has no meaning in the Catholic Church, which does not use it - whether with reference to religious institutes or movements, or otherwise. Don't, of course, take my word for it, but check out the incorrectly-glossed link Congregation of pontifical rite. There you will find the phrase of pontifical right, and no mention whatever of "pontifical rite" (see the last para. of the article, with a link to a relevant provision of the Code of Canon Law) .
- Thanks! Will do. ---Hugetim (talk) 17:38, 24 January 2014 (UTC)
March 2014 Core Contest
|Aeq. Second Prize|
|For an amazing effort on Philosophy of science, you've come equal second in the Mach 2014 Core Contest! Cheers, Cas Liber (talk · contribs) 01:33, 6 April 2014 (UTC)|
- Indeed! Actually History of art is pretty crappy when you look at it, though nothing like as deplorable as Indian art, which has been on my to-do list for a long time, and seems to get more views. H of A starts off ok, I think as a translation from Spanish, but doesn't keep it up. Johnbod (talk) 17:16, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!
|The Editor's Barnstar|
|When I saw in the Signpost that you'd been recognized for your work on philosophy of science, I had to take a closer look. It's one of those articles I've periodically looked at and thought, 'wow, this is bad', but it also just seemed like too big a project to wade into. You've done a great job with it! ragesoss (talk) 16:56, 7 April 2014 (UTC)|
- Thanks so much! It was a labor of love. -hugeTim (talk) 21:22, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
How beautiful! Thank you for your detailed attention to my work. (You even read my talk page, bringing back a fun memory for me.) Thank you so much! -hugeTim (talk) 12:59, 30 April 2014 (UTC)