User talk:Joe Decker
- 1 Rathaavara
- 2 About the declined "Chugger (band)" draft
- 3 Request on 19:31:37, 9 October 2014 for assistance on AfC submission by Dino-lite
- 4 Evina Schmidova
- 5 Request on 19:45:09, 10 October 2014 for assistance on AfC submission by Lisabrandli
- 6 Sean Alexander's article
- 7 Euan MacDonald Centre
- 8 FYI
- 9 7 Angels 7 Plagues
- 10 Fred Phelps
- 11 16:07:12, 16 October 2014 review of submission by 184.108.40.206
- 12 Re-creating article Ghazwa-e-Hind
- 13 Cristian Guerrero
The Article page was deleted on 04:34, 22 August 2014 (UTC) for the reason below
there is no evidence that the film has entered filming, the project was just announced and casting has not even been confirmed, it is too soon for an article per WP:NFF BOVINEBOY2008 12:46, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
But the movie shoot has begun and the cast has been finalized. The article deletion should be undone.
- Do you have a reliable source showing that the film has entered principal photography? The specific guideline that editors were referring to in the deletion discussion is Wikipedia:Notability_(films)#Future_films.2C_incomplete_films.2C_and_undistributed_films. --j⚛e deckertalk 13:35, 7 October 2014 (UTC);;
Hi Joe Decker:
Wanted to point out two articles recently deleted were about films which premiere next week in Las Vegas:
These were both real movies and they should not have had there articles deleted on the basis the movies did not exist nor had a release dates. Also, both were by a very experienced and well known director, hence notable as part of his 30 year body of work (51 films!).
- I'm a bit confused, I asked if you had "a reliable source showing that the film has entered principal photography"?, and you give me a link that doesn't mention the film. I assume I"m missing something.
- If this is about separate deletions, that's fine, but it's important to be clear. I should also explain that it is necessary for a film to have entered principal photography in most cases to have an article, but it is not, by itself, sufficient. All subjects must also meet our WP:GNG, demonstrating their notability through in-depth coverage in reliable sources. You may want to also ask for further help at the WP:Teahouse, if you are new here and still trying to make sense of our policies. Best of luck! --j⚛e deckertalk 17:40, 8 October 2014 (UTC)
That was not me before talking about other movies, I am trying to get links to news about the movie going to principle photography. It was in the local newspapers but waiting for it come on online. I will send you the link as I have it. Thanks 220.127.116.11 (talk) 05:51, 9 October 2014 (UTC)
- My apologies that I've been away for a week or two, if you have updates, I'm back now and ready to hear them. --j⚛e deckertalk 16:14, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
About the declined "Chugger (band)" draft
The Swedish groove death metal band Chugger was declined having an encyclopedic entry in Wikipedia due to not enough references. I have updated the article with proper references and resubmitted the entry a few days ago. Let me know if there's anything you need me to correct or do besides waiting for it to be processed. Thanks in advance!
— Preceding unsigned comment added by Deathgroove (talk • contribs) 11:34, 9 October 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been out of state and away from the internets.
- I'll try and take a look later today, but I see the article is in the queue awaiting a new reviewer. Note that the issue isn't precisely "enough" references, it is "enough" references which are are in-depth discussions of the band from sources which have an editorial process -- profiles in magazines, books, newspapers, that sort of thing. Usually the issue isn't the *number* of references (strictly speaking, two can be sufficient), but the type of sources. Best of luck on your next draft! --j⚛e deckertalk 16:17, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
Hello Joe, I would like some pointers how to edit the article about Dino-Lite, as i have written this quite neutral, not as an advertisement. Dino-Lite is already quite well known as the brand of developer and manufacturer of digital microscopes. Everything i have written is factual but there is no scientific article about this; there are many references and mentions about Dino-Lite by end-users though. If i compare what i wrote to the Dutch page on Nikon, for instance, https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_Corporation, that is what i would call advertising text. Also if i look at the references for the article about Keyence (a high end competitor of Dino-Lite), most of their references are from their own website. I look forward to your comments and help. Best regards, Jan Boers
- I think the sentence from your draft that most clearly demonstrates my concerns is this one, " Dino-Lite has become the de-facto standard for handheld digital microscopes in many fields of use." Now, let me be clear, that statement may be true in some sense. But "de-facto standard" is a positive and somewhat subjective statement, and it is the sort of statement, as such, that should never be put into Wikipedia's voice. If a reliable, unconnected source such as an independent book or magazine mentions it, that can be attributed as an opinion of that publication, but it's not okay for that to be presented as an opinion of Wikipedia's.
- Please note that Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a forum for advertising your product, service or other business. If you are writing about your own enterprise, it can be quite difficult to write a proper encyclopedia article--and in fact, our policies go out of their way to suggest that you do not try. Please read and understand WP:PSCOI. However, if you do wish to continue writing such an article, here's some advice.
- One of the basic bars an article like this is going to have to meet is notability, which is defined under Wikipedia as being shown by coverage in arm's-length, reliable sources. These are usually things such as newspaper articles and magazine articles, and excludes the sort of "reprinted press releases" common to some local business rags--those sources must be independent and reliable.
- My best advice is to start over, and then work at finding those sources. Find out what they talk about, and how. And then write your article based almost entirely on those sources. You can use primary sources to fill in entirely neutral and uncontroversial facts (where's the HQ?), but the use of primary sources should be a minimum.
- This process is likely to be frustrating for you if you take any other path. Thanks. --j⚛e deckertalk 16:22, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
Hello Joe, why did you remove the pages Evina Schmidova. The proposal to delete given only user Vejvančický - failed Czech musician. It was a personal attack. Many people confirmed on Wiki that Evina Schmidova is important photographer. Best regards Karel Stary — Preceding unsigned comment added by Karel Stary (talk • contribs) 08:48, 10 October 2014 (UTC)
- Hello! My apologies for the delay in responding. The article was deleted as a result of the discussion at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Evina Schmidova. I see four opinions, all of which indicate that the article does not appear to meet our general inclusion criteria for biographies, which you can read at WP:BASIC. I do not see where "many people confirm" the subject is "an important photographer." I don't see any personal attacks, although I can imagine, particularly if you are the subject, that you may hear "not notable" as an attack. It is not, but it can appear that way, in Wikipedia terminology, "notability" refers specifically to our inclusion criteria, such as WP:BASIC, and that can seem like a personal attack, to be sure. --j⚛e deckertalk 16:27, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
Hello - I made edits to the article submission, Bill Lee (Byunghoon William Lee), CEO, Univera, but had not seen any feedback since late August. Please advise as to whether the references I added meet requirements for notability. The articles are all in Korean from Korean media - please let me know if I need to submit English translated versions. Thank you.
- Oh dear! That article needs to be resubmitted, I'll have submitted it for rereview. References do not need to be in English, although it can be more difficult for reviewers to assess non-English sources. It may take some time for the next reviewer to assess it. --j⚛e deckertalk 16:29, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
Sean Alexander's article
I previously contacted you regarding the Sean Alexander article. I have various independent sources on notability, such as articles, that discuss Sean's various achievements and production and songwriting work in the K-pop industry. Do I just submit them to you via this talk page? — Preceding unsigned comment added by Pattyt18 (talk • contribs) 20:49, 12 October 2014 (UTC)
- Hi! Sorry for the delay in responding.
- If you'd like to leave some links here, that's fine. --j⚛e deckertalk 16:35, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
Euan MacDonald Centre
Hello, thanks for your comment on my draft page. I've added more more links and wondered if you would be able to take a look again to see if it meets the inclusion criteria. Many than thanks! Alogue (talk) 11:30, 14 October 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks, I think you've crossed the bar. I've accepted the article, made a few stylistic tweaks, and added a tag to attract the attention of the folks who help maintain our placement of articles within categories, who I expect should be along presently. Thank you for your contributions! --j⚛e deckertalk 16:45, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
FYI: . CC.
7 Angels 7 Plagues
Hello Mr. Decker -
I noticed, due to mass unlinking of the article title, that 7 Angels 7 Plagues was recently deleted. You were the closing admin of the deletion discussion. I believe I have sources which may be useful in demonstrating the group's meeting WP:MUSIC (e.g., and ), and I requested that the article be userfied to me at WP:REFUND. REFUND asked that I speak with you first about the userfication. Please let me know if this article can be userfied, so I can examine whether any of its previous content and formatting is salvageable. Thanks! Chubbles (talk) 21:28, 14 October 2014 (UTC)
- Hello again - WP:REFUND has kindly provided me with a userfied copy of the article and has requested your opinion prior to a move to mainspace. Please see User:Chubbles/7 Angels 7 Plagues and let me know what you think. Chubbles (talk) 23:17, 17 October 2014 (UTC)
- I personally think you've cleared the bar there, and therefore I would support recreation. The case is not so obvious, however, that other editors might not disagree. --j⚛e deckertalk 16:58, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
- Hope you don't mind but I was responding to User:George Ho's request at WP:RFPP. As the PC was due to expire in about 36 hours I have semi-protected it for a month. CBWeather, Talk, Seal meat for supper? 07:11, 17 October 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry, I was away from the internets longer than I expected.... I'll take a look, but I both appreciate you extending the protection and fully expect that an extension of protection is completely appropriate. Thanks to both of you! --j⚛e deckertalk 16:32, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
- Will do, thanks! Again, most appreciated! --j⚛e deckertalk 19:36, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
16:07:12, 16 October 2014 review of submission by 18.104.22.168
Dear Joe Decker, Thank you for taking the time to review our submitted article. Yes, some of the content comes from a copy written source. But, to my knowledge each item was cited properly. Please advise which items specifically you are questioning so we can make the appropriate changes. Thanks so much!
Re-creating article Ghazwa-e-Hind
The concept of Ghazwa-e-Hind is now being discussed in pretty reliable sources like Daily Mail, Daily Excelsior and First Post. I found that Ghazwa-e-Hind and Ghazwatul Hind were previously deleted due to lack of reliable sources. I think the article can now be created. Please let me your view on this. BengaliHindu (talk) 10:26, 19 October 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry for the delay in responding. Those certainly appear to be new sources, and suggest that the topic may now meet our inclusion criteria. While I have not considered the matter deeply, I suspect that you are correct. Best regards, --j⚛e deckertalk 16:34, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
- Done, thanks for letting me know I'd missed that! --j⚛e deckertalk 23:28, 20 October 2014 (UTC)