Article: Battle of Brody (1941). Hi. I see you are updating the battle of brody article, something that was despirately in need of doing I think. Can I offer you some additional information. In the german unit history of 111th Infantry division it gives a great account of sucuring Dubno and defeating the counter attacks by 34TD and other soviet armoured units. It describes the meathods and the resultsa an infantry division was able to achieve this. The battles for Dubno very much come under the Brody battle I think. If you are interested I could copy the relevant pages for you. They are in German though. Christwelfwww (talk) 11:08, 4 November 2014 (UTC)
- Yes, I dearly want to repair this page, and have been working on it on and off for a while. I have prepared a far too comprehensive revision, which I will have to cut, but it is quite difficult to understand the complexity of the engagement and the forces involved without going into detail. For one thing concentrating on the "Battle of Brody" counterattack, really does not capture the whole picture without understanding the border battles, and the line of German attack, so I am will be starting there.
- Mostly I have been working from Soviet/Russian sources -- they seem to have the most interest in it, but of course that brings in the issue of bias, and German sources would be useful for creating a big picture of the battle.
- Quite possibly I think the "Battle of Brody" is not an accurate name for the battle, which really has three phases, the initial assault, the counterattack at Dubno, and then the exploitation and second counter-attack, and is focused on the "Lutsk-Brody-Dubno" corridor.Livedawg (talk) 22:07, 4 November 2014 (UTC)
Thanks for your comments, its a hudge subject, and one not very much visited by editors. I did try one attempt at a start at soviet unit 9th_Mechanized_Corps_(Soviet_Union). I will send you the materiel if you let me know an mail address, you can drop me a line on email@example.com. Good luck with your endevours Christwelfwww (talk) 13:11, 5 November 2014 (UTC)
- Brody page is pretty bad. It was ok for a while, then a bunch of people came in and decided that it was a good place to talk about tank theory, and argue about the number of tanks engaged, and the thread of the actual battle got lost. It's really at start again level.
- Do you have anything about 9th Infantry Division Wehrmacht? Specifically did the 3rd Cavalry(Later 5th Guard Cavalry)/6th Army/Southwestern Front operate in coordination with 4th Mechanized Corps (Soviet) and 10th Tank from 15th Mechanized Corps (soviet) on June 23/24/25 1941, against right flank of 9th Infantry, 57th Infantry and 11th PZ between Radezchow and Beretzcko. Not really important. Just that a Russian blogger mentioned that this was ordered by the front command, and I was wondering if it actually happened.
- Also anything on 297, 57, 75, 298 Infantry (Wehrmacht), on the night of the attack over the Bug River on June 22nd, against the border garrisons at Krystanypol, Sokal and Ustulig (Vladymyr Volinksi). Anything on how that went would be interesting to me.
Nominations for the Military history Wikiproject's Historian and Newcomer of the Year Awards are now open!
The Military history Wikiproject has opened nominations for the Military historian of the year and Military history newcomer of the year. Nominations will be accepted until 13 December at 23:59 GMT, with voting to begin at 0:00 GMT 14 December. The voting will conclude on 21 December. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:41, 7 December 2014 (UTC)
This message was accidentally sent using an incorrect mailing list, therefore this message is being resent using the correct list. As a result, some users may get this message twice; if so please discard. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Voting for the Military historian and Military newcomer of the year now open!
Nominations for the military historian of the year and military newcomer of the year have now closed, and voting for the candidates has officially opened. All project members are invited to cast there votes for the Military historian and Military newcomer of the year candidates before the elections close at 23:59 December 21st. For the coordinators, TomStar81