|McDoobAU93 is busy in real life and may not respond swiftly to queries.|
- 1 WikiProject:REHAB update
- 2 You signed up for WikiProject User Rehab
- 3 WikiProject Amusement Park Newsletter Special (July 2013)
- 4 Wii Virtual Console debate
- 5 WikiProject Video Games Newsletter, October 2013
- 6 Holiday wishes!
- 7 WikiProject Video Games Newsletter, Quarter 4, 2013
- 8 The WikiProject Video Games Newsletter, Q1 2014
- 9 ANI notification
- 10 Today's quest: vandalism
- 11 Disambiguation link notification for July 31
- 12 DYK for EA Access
- 13 Hey Dude
- 14 Barnstars
- 15 A barnstar for you!
- 16 The barnstar
- 17 A barnstar for you!
- 18 Userpage
- 19 Translator
- 20 Another Account!
- 21 Signature
- 22 Email
- 23 Wikiproject REHAB
WikiProject Amusement Park Newsletter Special (July 2013)
Sent out on July 18, 2013.
Wii Virtual Console debate
Please don't post in my talk page again in a threatening manner. If you believe that the manner you were addressed in on a public matter was out of line even though your attitude and remarks were hardly of a different tone, take your problem to a higher authority.
WikiProject Video Games Newsletter, October 2013
I wish you success and happiness in your endeavours for this coming year, and I hope we'll be able to carry on improving the wonderful project that is Wikipedia together! Keep rocking on! :)
WikiProject Video Games Newsletter, Quarter 4, 2013
The WikiProject Video Games Newsletter, Q1 2014
There is currently a discussion at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents regarding an issue with which you may have been involved. Thank you. An ANI has been opened about you here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AN/I#McDoobAU93 — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 17:19, 29 July 2014 (UTC)
- McDoob, I don't monitor Sega Genesis anymore, so let me know if this guy starts up anymore trouble over there. Thanks! Sergecross73 msg me 17:47, 29 July 2014 (UTC)
Today's quest: vandalism
Hey MirrorFreak, time for your next quest. Today we're going to discuss a major problem here on the project, that of vandalism. Since Wikipedia is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit, a lot of people log on and make changes to articles. Many are constructive, but some are not. However, there's a difference between vandalism (simply wanting to cause trouble) and someone who's making edits that don't fit, but otherwise mean well. This is where one of the biggest tenets of editing comes into play: the assumption of good faith. We need to give editors, especially new ones, the benefit of the doubt. But even that has limits.
Your assignment: below are a list of diffs from random articles across the project that were later reverted. Looking only at the diffs (that is, no selecting "next edit"), I want you to determine if the edit was vandalism or something else. Place the answer just after each link.
Good luck! --McDoobAU93 18:13, 29 July 2014 (UTC)
So here's my answers (It took so long for me to reply cause I had to get a new computer.)
- I'm pretty sure that this one is a good faith edit. You're right, it is meant in good faith. The reason it was undone was because it's a rumor, and Wikipedia doesn't deal in rumors or speculation.
- I'm not for this one, as the editor was adding a picture.
- This ones childish vandalism, The word was already spelled right and someone made it spelled wrong. This is where WP:AGF comes in. Yes it was changed, but it also may have been an editing test. If they had done this repeatedly, then yes, it would be vandalism.
- I think this one is vandalism? reliable sources. This is a good-faith edit for sure. However, these details are assumptions and interpretations of the editor, not backed up by
- The edits on this one don't make since. I'm gonna guess vandal. You're right that the edits seem to be causing problems. However, on first blush we would assume good faith. However, this particular editor has done this a few times, at which point it does become non-constructive at best, vandalism at worst.
- Obviously vandalism. Without question, yes.
- I haven't marked #2 yet, because I want you to look at more than just the changes at the top of the diff. Look at what was actually added and then answer; that may give you a clue as to what I'm looking for. --McDoobAU93 15:29, 6 August 2014 (UTC)
Sorry for the late response. I do see what you mean. If I ever get into the CVU style of Wikipedia, I'll be sure to look for that. Any new quests for me? I need something to do to keep me busy.Mirror Freak 13:54, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
- Yeah, I do need to come up with something. Like the last two, it'll probably come to me while I'm editing. Shouldn't be long. :) --McDoobAU93 19:02, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Robin Hood (1973 film), you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Farthing. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.
Hai I am Duryodanan. Don't you remember me? I asked a question at Teahouse. Pls look on Teahouse Q&A board. Could you please help me? I have two doubts. How can we change our username on Wikipedia? How can I find my friends who are in Wikipedia? Can you also help me to create a cool user page? — Preceding unsigned comment added by DURYODANAN (talk • contribs) 12:43, 12 August 2014 (UTC) I am from Kerala,India. I know Malayalam,English,Spanish,Russian,Tamil and Kannada. Are these qualities enough to qualify me as your friend? Bye, my dear friend. — Preceding unsigned comment added by DURYODANAN (talk • contribs) 12:41, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
DYK for EA Access
|On 13 August 2014, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article EA Access, which you recently created or substantially expanded. The fact was ... that shares of GameStop fell over five percent after the announcement of EA Access? The nomination discussion and review may be seen at Template:Did you know nominations/EA Access. You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, live views, daily totals), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.|
Hey McDoob, I've seen recently that people have created their own barnstars for things, (such as Solaras guestbook barnstar0 Do you know what i'm talking about. I wanted to create my own guestbook and barnstar and was wondering whether you could help out? Thanks,Mirror Freak 12:59, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
- Personally I don't know about creating barnstars, but like you, I've seen others do it and certainly have no objections to it. As with anything one sees on user pages, to me the best way to do that is to ask the person directly. That establishes the camaraderie among editors that really helps the project grow. The VAST majority of editors will gladly respond to a friendly note on their talk page when their schedules on- and off-Wiki permit. If you want, provide a link to the page you're interested in and I'll take a look. --McDoobAU93 13:43, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
This is what I'm talking about, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Solarra/Guestbook Thanks, Mirror Freak 13:46, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
- I'd say message them and see what happens! :) --McDoobAU93 13:56, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!
|Awesome Mentor Barnstar|
|This user has MAD mentor skills!||Mirror Freak 12:16, 21 August 2014 (UTC)|
- Thanks! That's most appreciated. I see you got one yourself for your copy-editing skills. Congrats! --McDoobAU93 13:02, 21 August 2014 (UTC)
I made it myself! All I did was go into my sandbox and copy and pasted the template of Solarra's barnstar and mess around with it! I think I might be able to make the guestpage, but I'm pretty sure I'll need your help if your up for it.Mirror Freak 22:04, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!
|MirrorFreak's Guestbook Barnstar|
|This user has signed my guestbook! Be sure that your next to sign!||Mirror Freak 14:23, 21 August 2014 (UTC)|
Hey User:McDoobAU93(sorry for cluttering your talk page). I was wondering whether we could do a lesson on hosting at the teahouse(If that's possible.) If not could we do a lesson on formatting? Thanks,Mirror Freak 16:22, 21 August 2014 (UTC)
Hey McDoob! Look at this! go all the way to the bottom of this user's talk page and look at what I did! I was able to a sort-of translator and was able to get the block removed for this User(I think). Turns out Spanish class actually paid off! I'll admit I was a jerk in the beginning though.Mirror Freak 13:45, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Very cool! There are actually some userboxes where you can list any languages with which you are familiar. They also allow you to rank your abilities, so you can tell people if you know a little Spanish, or are pretty fluent or if it's your native language. --McDoobAU93 13:53, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- It can be, but I guess I'm trying to determine what the difference is between the two. What is the purpose of a second account for school? --McDoobAU93 14:36, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Well, when I'm at school and try to use Wikipedia, most of the IP address's there have been blocked because kids think their being funny by vandalizing. So now I have an account that I'd be able to use. Mirror Freak 14:39, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Even if an IP address is blocked, users can still sign in if they have accounts. Did you try and log in as your standard account and it would not let you? --McDoobAU93 14:43, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
No I didn't. I just didn't to use my main account at school. (How bout that rosetta?) Should I retire User:MirrorFreak(School)? — Preceding unsigned comment added by MirrorFreak (talk • contribs) 14:47, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
You can simply not use it. You don't need to retire it. There are rules about multiple accounts, and while I don't feel you'd be using this one in an inappropriate way, there's really no need for it.I was writing this and got distracted at work, then saw your most recent comment above, so striking part of it.
- Your second point actually brings up something worth discussing ... why we are here.
- For many people, like myself, we are here to share knowledge with others. I enjoy writing articles about things with which I am familiar. I also enjoy researching things with which I am not familiar. I've stumbled across articles that needed work and I've improved them after reading up on the subject, even learning a few things in the process. I've started a few articles about individuals that were part of the Tuskegee Airmen simply because I saw their obituaries in the newspaper; I researched their lives and found out there was more about them than just being part of the first African-American air corps. Barnstars and userboxes are cool, but that's not the reason why I edit. So we're going to make this an essay quest ... tell me about why you're here. What attracted you to Wikipedia ... what you hope to accomplish ... do you see yourself still working on Wikipedia articles in a year, in three years? Things like that. There are no points and no scoring. Just seeing how you think. :) --McDoobAU93 15:15, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
Well, If you want the truth. My computer use to have parental controls where I couldn't go to a website without having my parents put in a password to allow to website. So I thought of just using Wikipedia as it is an online encyclopedia. I had thought it'd be cool to make an account so I made one. After I signed up it opened my eyes to what the Wiki really is. It's an online place where people can join together to learn and teach. I hope to accomplish making my own articles and I see myself even still working on articles in 3 or more years. Mirror Freak 15:23, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
I'm nominating for this barnstar to be a standard guestbook barnstar. What do you think of it?
|"Examples" Guestbook Barnstar|
|This user signed "Example's guestbook! Be the next to sign!|
I made my signature look just like yours! Hahaha! Don't worry I'll change it back to mine.McDoobAU93 17:03, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Yes you can ... --McDoobAU93 05:03, 24 August 2014 (UTC)
Hi McDoob. I'm trying to bring back the Wikiproject REHAB and was wondering whether you would join the project. We need someone like you who has experience with mentoring users. Please help me help others and therefore Wikipedia.Mirror Freak 17:58, 23 August 2014 (UTC)