If you wish to leave a message, then please feel free at the bottom of the page.
Hi Nathanael. Is there a reason that User:Nford24/Stuart Smith (general) has not been moved to the main wikispace (and had various links created)? I found it with Google, and there doesn't appear to be a page in main space for him. I'm pretty sure all generals are by definition notable enough. Cheers. --Scott Davis Talk 02:04, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- I didn't move the page into mainspace because it lacks a lot of core information about the person (with the exception of the honours) owing to copyright on his bio by defence. If you feel that it would be best to move it I am more then happy too. Nford24 (Want to have a chat?) 03:30, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- I'd move it out and link it up, and cite what we can from the public biographies and news reports of promotions and awards. While it's in user-space, it looks like you're still planning to work on it before it goes live, but he's been in the current job long enough people will look here to find out stuff sometimes. Thanks for starting it. --Scott Davis Talk 03:39, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- I've just moved it to the mainspace. Nford24 (Want to have a chat?) 03:46, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
(I need a better / more reliable internet connection)
My God but there are a lot of self-opinionated people editing Wikipedia! (No doubt myself included.)
You have come across a gold nugget with Scott Davis.
(I came here to whine and complain - I think it's great that Scott's presence has shut me up.) Thanks Scott. Thanks Nat. Pdfpdf (talk) 14:48, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- a) I can't remember why I came here.
- b) You've archived!
- Cheers, Pdfpdf (talk) 14:48, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- "You've archived!", careful now, I might just get a big head. Anyway cheers. Nford24 (PE121 Personnel Request Here) 10:52, 3 April 2014 (UTC)
Order of the Thistle
Order of the Thistle Hi Nathaniel Because I do not understand the formatting stuff properly, I am not confident to make the amendment myself, but the following correction May interest you. The Chancellor of the Order of the Thistle remains the Earl of Airlie. The confusion with lord Smith... arises because the honours list for the thistle is formally approved by the chancellor of that order and, depending how you have access to it, the text all runs together to appear that lord Smith of Kelvin is, in fact appointed chancellor. He was not. The full PDF transcript available through the gov.uk portal is clearer if your device can read it properly. "Chancellor of the Order of the Thistle" is then clearly on a separate line as authorising the publication of the names of the two new knights. I think the confusion arose because of the way newspapers reported these appointments. Thistle appointments, as you know, are normally made on St Andrew's Day in November, but last year that day was overshadowed by a helicopter tragedy in Glasgow. I assume that is why the announcement was deferred to New Year. Had the thistle appointments been issued alone, I do not think the reporting would have been confused. As it is, the press converted the whole PDF document into text for their papers and the formatting suddenly became confusing. PS sorry to appear a pedant, but I am pleased that you take a real interest in the honours system. I am looking forward to seeing who gets the three vacant Garters (if any are awarded this year) on St George's Day - not long to wait! — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 11:34, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
Actually your suggestion checks out. Nford24 (PE121 Personnel Request Form) 11:38, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
You may wish to check your facts before reverting people twice. I've given a link in my edit summary when I reverted your second reversion, and if you don't trust an Indian newspaper as a WP:RS you might want to read https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/302680/2014_Honorary_Awards_-_April_Update.pdf - David Biddulph (talk) 08:53, 17 April 2014 (UTC)
- I think you find the point of confusion come from where you placed him, it is an honorary award and you put him in the wrong list. Nford24 (PE121 Personnel Request Form) 10:31, 17 April 2014 (UTC)
The Bugle: Issue XCVII, April 2014
The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 14:29, 20 April 2014 (UTC)