I shall shamelessly punk a welcome message I got when I first registered:
Welcome! (We can't say that loud/big enough!)
Here are a few links you might find helpful:
- Be Bold!
- Don't let grumpy users scare you off.
- Meet other new users
- Learn from others
- Play nice with others
- Contribute, Contribute, Contribute!
- Tell us about you
- your notices to anonymous IPs are impeccable - have a WikiThanks on me :-) --HappyCamper 02:27, 19 November 2005 (UTC)
- You're welcome! -- Rediahs 02:31, 19 November 2005 (UTC)
- And thank you for that! I suppose I'll join; might as well. :) -- Rediahs 02:38, 19 November 2005 (UTC)
your last update on the opeth page was completely unneccessary. i believe that constitutes vandalism (as it was slander against the band) and have taken the liberty to revert it back to the correct phrasing. i'm sure you'll appreciate this. Faerielinds 07:17, 22 November 2005 (UTC)
- Response on your user talk. -- Rediahs 07:26, 22 November 2005 (UTC)
Hi. I am taking out that supermarket reference again because those products are available elsewhere from supermarkets and re-instating the all cuisines because indeed all cuisines do have vegan dishes. From a journalistic or academic point of view, the supermarket reference in not relevent nor necessary, where do you think folks buy them? why cant they go to a wholesalers, chemist or independent store, for example ... it is not a discussion about vegan consumer activities.
Am working hard to keeep the article within Wiki guideline length and unnecessary words and duplications have been cut down to acheive this. I'd like to cut it down even more. Thanks. 220.127.116.11 12:04, 22 November 2005 (UTC)
I have been following this vegan debate and I have to point out a failure in your revision.
You seem to be writing from a mainstream American or Western point.
Most of the world does not shop at supermarkets - they shop in open markets - and specifically, the majority of vegan would go out of their way to support small independent grocery stores not chains.
With regards to All cuisines, again, this is an important issue.
You get your point for knowing Asian food but it is important from a vegan point of view to show that vegan diet is not something alien from another planet as one contributor wanted to add but something local and traditional to all nations and races.
One does not need to list all nations ; Asian, Mediterranean, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Scottish, Italian, African, South American etc but yet they all have specific vegan dishes and ingredients which most metropolitan vegan sample.
A modern vegan will tend to eat a far wider range of foods than a regular omnivore and the topic out reflect it.
What is the specific benefit to writing supermarket or excluding all of the above apart to your ego?
Likewise there are many other sources to buy such products - such as the internet - so it is utterly unnecessary.
Let it be.
Mitsu22 November 2005
- Let me clarify that I haven't written ANY of that article - I am only reverting confusing changes. If someone would offer changes that are not confusing, I would do nothing. My ego? I have no inherent bias toward one way or another, but I know what's confusing. If you check my edits on that page, they are all reverts - I haven't written anything.
- The edits by anon are confusing. That's all. Specifically, the term "all cuisines" does not make any sense to most people, and has no real meaning. The edits do not make sense. Make sensical edits and they will be left alone, at least by me. -- Rediahs 19:44, 22 November 2005 (UTC)
- You are right that I am just learning Wiki and what a sharp upward learning curve it is! But one of the most distinct features is that folks seem to use it to strengthen their own dogma [ and I am not excluding myself from that ]. Why it is when you put something clear and simple to people that does not suit them they just blank and ingore it?
- The issue with supermarkets is clear. The whole world does not shop at supermarkets.
- Does that confuse you or not?
- Many wholefooders/vegetarians/vegans go out of their way to avoid shopping at supermarkets for ethical reasons and chose to support small independent stores, food coops, warehouses, small foods market and now the internet. Often we have to go to shop at them to get the full range of products we need, e.g. animal free cosmetics etc. It is not necessary to qualify where given the context of the topic - unless, of course, you want to feature the market penetration of wholefoodds into the tightly controlled mainstream consumer food industry. But that is probably fit for a seperate topic of its own. There is not need to list everything everytime.
- It is clear from the amount of thought I have put into it that it is not vandalism. Your " confusion " - which I dont actually believe - seems to stem from your own lack of experiences other than your own. I have lived in the US and understand your dependency on cars, big malls and supermarkets but in the rest of the world, it is not so. [ I live in the UK now, have been vegan for 20 years or so, worked professionally in the wholefood industry and travelled - and eaten - widely throughout the world. ]
- So where do we get to ... " all cuisines " becomes " every cuisine on the world ", " every national or racial cuisine on the world ", what suits you?
- To me, that is " all cuisines" [ and I am digging out a vegan eskimo dish to prove it as I type ... ] and " all cuisines " strengthens the naturalness, familiarity and inclusivity of the vegan diet as something normal and not alien.
- So why dont you leave it and see what the concensus is, to see if there are that many others who are confused enough by it to want to change it.
- Actually, for me, the MOST alien place in the world has without a doubt been " New America ". I have been amazed at driving for hours to get to a mall and then wander around a football pitch sized so called food supermarket and not find anything that I would choice or consider to be food, e.g. not chemicalised, sugared up, plastic wrapped etc. I know it is getting better but, boy, was it unpleasant.
anon18.104.22.168 08:30, 23 November 2005 (UTC)
- OK. Tried for a compromise of " Cuisines of all nations contain many dishes that are naturally vegan e.g. tofu, tempeh and the wheat product seitan in Asian diets. "
I am sorry but you have me confused for someone else. I have no other usernames. I have only reverted that article twice. THE CONSENSUS is indeed that you are wrong. I am not the 5 or so other users who are also reverting these changes. I have also never said that you are new at wikipedia, nor insinuated such a thing.
For the record, I have never lived in the US and I grew up always in very small towns. I live in Ontario. I have only lived in a city since September this year. I do not own a car. Please do not make presumptions about me. I am not anything like you described.
I never chose the word "supermarket". Why is this so hard for you to understand? It is not my choice of wording. What I have done is simple: your edit was confusing so I reverted it. I am sorry that I can't think up a better choice of words to replace it, but I am not responsible for doing this. Your edits were detrimental to the article. I reverted them. Is this so hard to understand? I am not defending the usage of the word supermarkets. I am not defending anything. I only oppose your edits. Please don't use me as your scapegoat. It is not my responsibility to pick something better. It's not my responsibility to do anything. I choose to revert bad edits and that's all. I don't really add to articles unless it's important.
I don't know whether you are a native english speaker or not, but the phrase "all cuisines" doesn't sound right.
If everyone else is disagreeing with you (and that IS exactly what is happening).... please drop it. You are obviously in the wrong.
Can you please pick your bone with someone else? I am not your enemy. I don't even know why you are talking to me. When I reverted the first time, I reverted for a "confusing edit", not vandalism. It became vandalism when you started insisting that you are right, everyone else is wrong, and began mass-reverting despite everybody else disagreeing. -- Rediahs 13:07, 23 November 2005 (UTC)
I am a reporter at The Record. I am writing an article about Wikipedia and its local contributors. I would be interested in speaking to you about why you participate in this project. I would appreciate it if you could reach me by phone at 894-2231 x. 2662 or by e-mail at email@example.com, replacing the letters "x" with the vowels e, e, o and o. Thanks!
I guess I should eventually explain why I'm leaving this here, for those who are curious. There's no point in removing it. Anyone who wants to see it will go into the history of this page. Also I suspect (but am not sure) that this was a fake message, as I've emailed that address and recieved no response after several days. I also have a suspicion of which user might be playing a prank like this, so I am not about to rule things out. -- Rediahs 12:53, 25 November 2005 (UTC)
Regarding anon's edits
On his edits on Veganism, I think I have accomodated most of the useful views he had to say and had even posted an extensive reasoning behind why some of the paragraphs had to stay. But he fails to see beyond what he believes and indulges in surreptitious vandalism. For instance, the Environmental criticism quotes a reference stating that "farming/agriculture is the primary cause of deforestation around the world", which he changed to read as "livestock is the main cause..." In effect he is unable to grasp the fact that a majority of sources clearly suggest that his thinking is flawed and I have also stated that his views are eurocentric. However he tries to mock me with statements like "Have you found a job yet?" or "English not being your native language puts you at a disadvantage here" . I have tried and will continue to accomodate anyone who contributes positively to Wikipedia, but his edits were barely in good faith. Idleguy 16:04, 24 November 2005 (UTC)
Honestly, I don't see the issue. Yes it's being vandalized. But. If it's the same time every day, then just revert it at that same time every day. Long term protection (and a week would be long term. Most vandalism protections are for 2 days at most) is only really ok if it's for heavy vandalism. Yes, this is a regular vandal, but it's just 1-2 edits a day. I just don't see a long term protection justified in that case. I will reprotect it for a day or 2, but that's all. Honestly, if we always protected for even a day on issues like this, 10%+ of the articles on Wikipedia would have to be protected. Protection is a last resort only. But I'll be generous. --Woohookitty(cat scratches) 12:34, 25 November 2005 (UTC)
What stint? I found a poster and posted it. Someone made mass edits so I reverted it, then I did it once more later on. Then another dude reverted it to my version. Get a clue, thanks. Stanley Ipkiss 09:13, 4 January 2006 (UTC)
Ok fair enough, next time I edit a page, I'll do it one word at a time. Thanks for the info. cheers Stanley Ipkiss
I'm sorry I don't see anything in wikipedia policy that says I can't do that. Thanks, gfy. cheers Stanley Ipkiss
Yaya, whatever, go back to hanging out at the comfy lounge. Stanley Ipkiss
I appreciate your kind words on my user talk page. I've passed in and out of a lot of Internet-based communities over the years, but it's the propensity of Wikipedians towards amicability -- as evidenced by your note -- that keeps me here :)
I'm not sure there's ever been a (v)AfD that didn't offend someone, but I like to think that at least some of the folks that get pulled in to argue stick around and get into the mix on Wikipedia.
But if I was really that good at the whole diplomacy thing, I wouldn't have needed to explain my original post in the first place :x I did lay that one on a bit strong.
Thank you for reverting the vandalism to my talk page. Can't sleep, clown will eat me 05:09, 14 January 2006 (UTC)
- You're welcome ;) -- Rediahs 05:10, 14 January 2006 (UTC)
I thought that might be you! But wasn't sure! Was funny to run into you :-)
I know you. - Chardish 07:20, 14 January 2006 (UTC)
What are you on about? - unsigned user 22.214.171.124
- Please don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. I'm referring to this repeated vandalism on Wikipedia talk:Semi-protection policy: 
- And please sign your messages on talk pages in the future. -- Rediahs 19:21, 19 January 2006 (UTC)
hi Moogy 19:18, 19 January 2006 (UTC)
- :o HI!! -- Rediahs 19:22, 19 January 2006 (UTC)
Hi there! I'd like to invite you to explore Wikimedia Canada, and create a list of people interested in forming a local chapter for our nation. A local chapter will help promote and improve the organization, within our great nation. We'd also like to encourage everyone to suggest projects for our national chapter to participate in. Hope to see you there!--DarkEvil 01:34, 4 February 2006 (UTC)
Hello rediahs, what server on conquer did you play. I look foward to it if you were to move to dream and hang out with BeLLeArcH and I.Half-life guy
- Hi! I'm Rediahs (my character name) and it just so happens I'm on Dream server too, though I don't play that much. -- Rediahs 07:25, 23 February 2006 (UTC)
- Cool! well, if you ever want to talk to me, my name on there is Darth_Revan, though Im currently working on my warrior. Im usually on at 4 pm cts. Also, i dont have any clue how to add pics, etc. on a page. could you give me some pointers?Half-life guy
Rediahs, who is that person who was rude to you and I at the conquer discussion page? I know its nothing important but that was wrong. Best of luck Half-life guy
- Ahm... I have nooooo idea what you're talking about? -- Rediahs 21:40, 27 March 2006 (UTC)
- Sorry it was a mistake on my part... i thought that it was some one else who had wrote it. Also is my grammer bad? I never was very good in english class...Half-life guy 1:02 CTS 28 March 2006
Thanks, and can i ask what else is wrong with that paragraph? i would like to help out more and the only problem is that i dont have a reliant internet connection (sattelites suck><). thanks anyway.Half-life guy 9:46 am cts 4 April 2006
Okay, first of all I would like to say that yes I am aware that it is spelled 'receive' not 'recieve'. I went back to the article and confirmed that you are correct, I reverted your spelling correction to the wrong one. I did not do this because I have something against your change or that I do not know how to spell. The only explanation I can find is what is my most common mistake. I usually compare recent changes in the history box. Sometimes for some reason my mind accidents confuses the previous version to the new one. So what I think happened that day is that I thought you changed the word from its correct spelling to the incorrect one when its actually the other way around. Now I know this is not the case. So please accept my deepest appologizes. I should have known better. Tutmosis 19:40, 23 February 2006 (UTC)
You are amazing. - Chardish 07:23, 19 December 2006 (UTC)
- <3 ythx2u --Rediahs 07:26, 19 December 2006 (UTC)
Conquer Online Server Section
I am quite incapable of being bold and always chicken out of deleting actual sections like that....so thanks for doing it for me! I quite agree with the section not being there! <smile> --Marc Talk 18:48, 24 September 2007 (UTC)