User talk:Ruud Koot/2012

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

template:Optimization algorithms[edit]

Hi Ruud!

(1) Thanks for providing some level of protection for the Eppstein article.

(2) Optimization algorithms template:

Some months ago, you were quite right to complain about the over-emphasis on continuous optimization in the optimization algorithms template. I revised the template last week, at least indicating that combinatorial optimization was a category at a high level. Perhaps you could list graph/network problems and algorithms?

Also, I added some references on combinatorial optimization to the main article on Mathematical optimization.

BTW, I saw that a new edition of Minoux/Gondran has material on biologically inspired methods. With its new hierarchical structure, there is a lot of room for more on heuristics.

It would be great if you could add collapsibility to the template.

Best regards,  Kiefer.Wolfowitz 22:41, 18 May 2011 (UTC)

I'll have a look at it tomorrow. Cheers, —Ruud 22:51, 18 May 2011 (UTC)
I started a graph/network section.  Kiefer.Wolfowitz 02:34, 21 May 2011 (UTC)

The Signpost: 02 January 2012[edit]



ERCIM[edit]

Dear Mr Ruud, with all the respect due to your obvious commitment for this great project that is wikipedia, I rarely saw such a mess ^^

10:04, 4 November 2011 Ruud Koot (talk | contribs) moved ERCIM to User:Ruud Koot/Computer science/ERCIM

As I'm not able to move it myself I asked their Wikipedia:Requested_moves/Current_discussions#January_4.2C_2012.

Best, Zorglub27 (talk) 23:31, 4 January 2012 (UTC)

The article was deleted (Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/ERCIM). I moved it into my used space because I might be able to bring it up to standards at a later time. —Ruud 23:35, 4 January 2012 (UTC)

ouch, I just brought it back, all my apologies for the mistake but I really thought that it was unthinkable to find this article empty as the W3C article still have a link in direction of ERCIM :/ Shall I undo what I done? Zorglub27 (talk) 00:07, 5 January 2012 (UTC)

Moved it back, don't worry ;) There was a message about the deletion discussion in the log, but I'm not sure if you could see that, as your not an administrator. The fact that there are incoming links to this article is a good reason for why I think there should be an article on this organization. Just have to convince a few other editors first. —Ruud 00:13, 5 January 2012 (UTC)
Thanks ^^ I would be glad to contribute to the new version if needed! Zorglub27 (talk) 00:29, 5 January 2012 (UTC)

Dear Mr Ruud, with all the respect due to your obvious commitment for this great project that is wikipedia etc. etc. the W3C page contains links to the real legal entities hosting and representing W3C, i.e. MIT, ERCIM and Keio University. But the ERCIM link vanished recently. What a shame! Without W3C Wikipedia would not exist and ERCIM hosts the European branch of W3C, including all the European Members and the European staff.

Hieronym

p.s.: as a matter of fact an "EEIG" (European Economic Interest Grouping) is not an umbrella! — Preceding unsigned comment added by Hieronym (talkcontribs) 17:40, 16 March 2012 (UTC)

It's not me who you need to convince we need an article on this organization. Au contraire! I argued to keep this article, but failed to convince my colleagues. —Ruud 18:48, 16 March 2012 (UTC)

Changes to the edit-protected Template:MacTutor[edit]

Hi Ruud, I placed the {{edit protected}} template in the relevant template page, and wrote a brief description of the requested edits, their effects and the reason behind'em. Could you do the job? All the Best, Daniele.tampieri (talk) 21:14, 9 January 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 09 January 2012[edit]

CiteSeer[edit]

Hi, you replaced the more general cat "Bibliographic databases" with the more specific on "Bibliographic databases in computer science" in this edit. However, as far as I can see, CiteSeer covered much more than just computer science. As the more specific cat is included in the more general cat, it would seem to me that it does not need to be included in the specific one. Otherwise, each and every general database should be included in the category "Bibliographic databases in computer science", too. --Guillaume2303 (talk) 17:46, 11 January 2012 (UTC)

"Citeseerx is a scientific literature digital library and search engine that focuses primarily on the literature in computer and information science." (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/about/site) —Ruud 17:55, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
  • But it is the article on CiteSeer, not CiteSeerX that I am talking about. That one starts with saying that "CiteSeer was a public search engine and digital library for scientific and academic papers." (Implying that even social sciences and/or humanities were included). Is that incorrect? if so, it should be corrected. --Guillaume2303 (talk) 18:00, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
I used Citeseer and use CiteSeerX regularly and haven't seen them indexing anything beyond computer and information science, so our article would be incorrect. —Ruud 18:03, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
  • Ah, I just see that CSX redirects to CS. If CS was broader than CSX, perhaps both cats should remain and I was too hasty to remove the specific cat. The article is not very clear, though, because even the section on CSX talk all the time about "scientific and academic" papers. Computer science belongs in the sciences, not humanities/social sciences, so it would be clearer if that were specified and "academic" deleted throughout. --Guillaume2303 (talk) 18:06, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
  • (ec) I see. I'll leave it up to you to correct that then, as you seem to know more about this database than I do. --Guillaume2303 (talk) 18:06, 11 January 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 16 January 2012[edit]


Nomination for deletion of Template:PortalPage[edit]

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:PortalPage has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. Magioladitis (talk) 20:53, 22 January 2012 (UTC)

Re:Dutch-to-English[edit]

Re:Dutch-to-English

I would be grateful if you could check quality of google translation (my understanding - National Bank of Belgium agreed to distribute images of the banknotes it has issued using the same rules as euro banknotes) - please reply on http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:BEL-500f-rev.jpg Bulwersator (talk) 06:49, 23 January 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 23 January 2012[edit]

Disambiguation link notification[edit]

Hi. When you recently edited First-class function, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Superclass (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 12:32, 27 January 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Qi (programming language) (2nd nomination)[edit]

Did you notice that a number of users rallied at an external mailing list have contributed to this discussion and carefully weighted the strengths of all arguments made? —Ruud 03:10, 29 January 2012 (UTC)

Did you see my talk page FAQ? Specifically the second section. But yes, I did note that there was a number of new users, but there was not a consensus to delete taking all into account. Stifle (talk) 16:44, 29 January 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 30 January 2012[edit]

This Month in GLAM: January 2012[edit]

This month in GLAM logo.png




Headlines
Read this edition in fullSingle-page

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 20:50, 1 February 2012 (UTC)

Strongly Connected Components Algorithm[edit]

The strong components algorithm discussed in "Cheriyan-Mehlhorn/Gabow algorithm" is actually due to Dijkstra. I discussed this in the Talk section of that article. My discussion was written in the form of several suggestions to the Editor. I don't know if this is you Ruud. But if it is you might want to check it out. Hal Gabow Hngabow (talk) 21:59, 2 February 2012 (UTC)

I didn't write any of that article (except for changing the article title to disambiguate it from your shortest path algorithm, although admittedly I no longer remember why I chose the current name). I'll try to find some time to incorporate some of the comments you left on the talk page into the article. Of course you're also free to do so yourself. Regards, —Ruud 22:35, 2 February 2012 (UTC)

I appreciate your help. I didn't change the page myself because I thought it would be better to have an impartial editor do it. I showed my Talk page addition to Joseph Cheriyan and Kurt Mehlhorn and they're both fine with it. I'd be happy to answer any questions that might arise in the editing process. I understand you won't be able to do this right off the bat. Thanks for your quick reply. hal — Preceding unsigned comment added by Hngabow (talkcontribs) 23:49, 2 February 2012 (UTC)

Would it be more appropriate for me to contact another editor to update the page? Hngabow (talk) 00:28, 21 March 2012 (UTC)

I've been quite busy with thesis work lately, so I will probably not get around to it very soon. Might I suggest you contact User:David Eppstein? Regards, —Ruud 00:31, 21 March 2012 (UTC)

done. thanks for the suggestion Ruud. Hngabow (talk) 01:40, 21 March 2012 (UTC)

RfD nomination of Wp; redirects[edit]

Hello, as you have participated in previous RfDs for the Wp; redirects, I'd like you to know that there is a renomination going on at Wikipedia:Redirects for discussion/Log/2012 February 3. Feel free to voice your opinion there. ZZArch talk to me 23:44, 3 February 2012 (UTC)

Speedy deletion nomination of Ruud;cs[edit]

A tag has been placed on Ruud;cs, requesting that it be speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done under the criteria for speedy deletion, because it is a redirect to an article talk page, file description page, file talk page, MediaWiki page, MediaWiki talk page, category talk page, portal talk page, template talk page, help talk, user page, user talk or special page from the main/article space.

If you can fix the redirect to point to a mainspace page, please do so and remove the speedy deletion tag. However, please do not remove the speedy deletion tag unless you are fixing the redirect. If you think the redirect should be retained as is for some reason, contest the deletion by clicking on the button that looks like this: Speedy delete contest button.png which appears inside of the speedy deletion ({{db-...}}) tag (if no such tag exists, the page is no longer a speedy delete candidate). Doing so will take you to the talk page where you will find a pre-formatted place for you to explain why you believe the page should not be deleted. You can also visit the article's talk page directly to give your reasons. Feel free to leave a note on my talk page if you have any questions about this. DASHBot (talk) 18:03, 5 February 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 06 February 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 13 February 2012[edit]


MSU Interview[edit]

Dear Ruud Koot,

My name is Jonathan Obar user:Jaobar, I'm a professor in the College of Communication Arts and Sciences at Michigan State University and a Teaching Fellow with the Wikimedia Foundation's Education Program. This semester I've been running a little experiment at MSU, a class where we teach students about becoming Wikipedia administrators. Not a lot is known about your community, and our students (who are fascinated by wiki-culture by the way!) want to learn how you do what you do, and why you do it. A while back I proposed this idea (the class) to the community HERE, where it was met mainly with positive feedback. Anyhow, I'd like my students to speak with a few administrators to get a sense of admin experiences, training, motivations, likes, dislikes, etc. We were wondering if you'd be interested in speaking with one of our students.


So a few things about the interviews:

  • Interviews will last between 15 and 30 minutes.
  • Interviews can be conducted over skype (preferred), IRC or email. (You choose the form of communication based upon your comfort level, time, etc.)
  • All interviews will be completely anonymous, meaning that you (real name and/or pseudonym) will never be identified in any of our materials, unless you give the interviewer permission to do so.
  • All interviews will be completely voluntary. You are under no obligation to say yes to an interview, and can say no and stop or leave the interview at any time.
  • The entire interview process is being overseen by MSU's institutional review board (ethics review). This means that all questions have been approved by the university and all students have been trained how to conduct interviews ethically and properly.


Bottom line is that we really need your help, and would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. If interested, please send me an email at obar@msu.edu (to maintain anonymity) and I will add your name to my offline contact list. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can post your name HERE instead.

If you have questions or concerns at any time, feel free to email me at obar@msu.edu. I will be more than happy to speak with you.

Thanks in advance for your help. We have a lot to learn from you.


Sincerely,


Jonathan Obar --Jaobar (talk) 07:26, 12 February 2012 (UTC)

Young June Sah --Yjune.sah (talk) 04:27, 15 February 2012 (UTC)

Removing Speedy at Tenberry Software[edit]

Hi Ruud Koot, you recently removed a deletion tag from Tenberry Software. Because Wikipedia policy does not allow the creator of the page to remove speedy deletion tags, an automated program has replaced the tag. Although the deletion proposal may be incorrect, removing the tag is not the correct way for you to contest the deletion, even if you are more experienced than the nominator. Instead, please use the talk page to explain why the page should not be deleted. Remember to be patient, there is no harm in waiting for another experienced user to review the deletion and judge what the right course of action is. As you are involved, and therefore potentially biased, you should refrain from doing this yourself. Thank you, - SDPatrolBot (talk) 17:25, 15 February 2012 (UTC)

Category:Glossaries on science[edit]

Category:Glossaries on science, which you created, has been nominated for discussion. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the Categories for discussion page. Thank you. Armbrust, B.Ed. Let's talkabout my edits? 02:24, 17 February 2012 (UTC)

Wizard (band)[edit]

Please do not remove prod tags unless you explain why. Ten Pound Hammer(What did I screw up now?) 02:42, 17 February 2012 (UTC)

  • No need for the rudeness. Wizard (band) seemed fairly uncontroversial to me since it has no real assertation of notability. Please do not talk down to me like that as if I'm a clueles n00b because I'm not. I know when to prod and when not to prod — I prodded dozens of articles in the past month and only a couple were deprodded. I also didn't realize that prod removers are not required to explain, but I still think it's common courtesy to do so if you remove prod. Ten Pound Hammer(What did I screw up now?) 17:02, 17 February 2012 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Ruud Koot. You have new messages at Alpha Quadrant's talk page.
Message added 02:07, 18 February 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Alpha_Quadrant (talk) 02:07, 18 February 2012 (UTC)

Web 3.0[edit]

Hi, there's a request for this redirect to be unprotected at Talk:Web_3.0#Unprotect_and_split. Since you were the protecting admin, could you have a look please? Tra (Talk) 23:02, 18 February 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 20 February 2012[edit]

WP:COMPSCI direction[edit]

Hi, I would like to discuss with you where you see WP:COMPSCI going. I think I should understand this before contributing in this area. Feel free to reply here or on my talk page. Thanks, Ideogram (talk) 12:36, 27 February 2012 (UTC)

If you are referring to the restructuring proposals. I'd like to reduce the number of computing-related WikiProjects to approxiately two. WikiProject Computer science focussing on computer science in its broadest academic sense, including many aspects of computer programming, and WikiProject Computing on all practical aspects of computing (including e.g. everything currently covered by WikiProject Software). —Ruud 13:00, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
OK in general what do you think needs to be done next? As you know Wikipedia is always a work in progress. I'm assessing a lot of articles and I hope we can agree on some guidelines to deal with the current situation, which I expect will continue for some time.
I also have a specific concern, which is I don't think that maths subjects with applications to CS should be tagged WP:COMPSCI, that would be like tagging Calculus as part of Physics. Thanks, Ideogram (talk) 13:47, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
Apart from the issue with WikiProject Databases, I'm not really sure you mean with "the current situation"? What should be done next? Write more articles and tag the current ones, I guess?
Regarding mathematical articles, for articles concerning "basic" mathematics like arithmetic or group theory, I would agree these should not be tagged with WP:COMPSCI. For more specialist articles in logic and discrete mathematics, I'd say these should be tagged with WP:COMPSCI as well. Many of those are primarily of interest to computer scientist (e.g. CTL) or at least use papers from computer science journals as their references (e.g. Hadwiger conjecture (graph theory)) . —Ruud 17:38, 27 February 2012 (UTC)

As far as I can tell every article tagged WPDATABASE is included in WP:COMPSCI. I don't think this is a good idea. What can be done about this? Ideogram (talk) 23:13, 27 February 2012 (UTC)

As discussed at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Databases#Restructure proposal, we would have to implement one of the proposals at Wikipedia:WikiProject Databases#Restructure proposals. This would require assessing/retagging ~600 articles (more without the assistance of a bot). I think User:Pnm preferred Option 1, listed there. You might want to discuss this with him. —Ruud 23:26, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
Oh, and we still haven't figured out what to do with all the articles like C-SPAN Video Library, which would probably need to be sorted out first too. —Ruud 23:28, 27 February 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 27 February 2012[edit]

Oh well ...[edit]

Apparently you do not value my participation. Ideogram (talk) 09:36, 28 February 2012 (UTC)

Let me try this again. Apparently you are trying to enforce a hard limit of 100 Top-importance CS articles. I have a couple objections. First, I was not done sorting through the articles, I was going to add candidates first and then prune down. Second, if you will please note there are several articles from WPDATABASE in this category e.g. Column (database), not all of which belong here, which is the issue I raised with you above.

I'm sure you find me annoying, but we are going to need to communicate if I'm going to work in this area. If you feel that is too much trouble, then of course I will find something else to work on. Ideogram (talk) 09:53, 28 February 2012 (UTC)

Yes, those database articles from still need to be downgraded in importance (using computer-science-importance=). I do value your participation, I just think you're overusing the Top-importance tag. This should be a relatively short list of articles* that probably need to be raised to FA first. And, yes, 100 is not a lot – if you take a few key algorithms (Quicksort), data structures/types (Graph (abstract data type)), fields (Computational complexity theory), biographies (Alan Turing) and concepts (Lambda calculus) – you're already there, but that's sort of the point of this category, everything else can simply go into High. Choosing these articles should therefore be done by taking all the other articles currently in the category into consideration. Simply dumping stuff (e.g. Coprocess) in there, planning to take some out later is not going to work. The correct approach would be to study the category, study the list of most popular pages and make a careful decision as to whether something critical is missing and then to think again, because humans are prone to overestimating the importance of a lot of things. When assessing lots of articles is probably best to try and constrain yourself to Mid, Low and the occasional High.
There are still masses of untagged articles in Category:Algorithms, Category:Data structures and Category:Computer scientists. It's probably more useful to get those tagged first than going around tweaking the importance-rating of already assesed articles.
* My educated guess would be that there are ~15 000 articles in the scope of the project, ~5 000 currently either tagged or marked as a relevant stub. Most of them are by definition and the long tail effect of Mid or Low importance. Tagging in the order of 100 as Top and 1000 as High importance would in my opinion be a good rule of thumb to restrain oneself and keep the rating system useful.
Ruud 11:23, 28 February 2012 (UTC)

This Month in GLAM: February 2012[edit]

This month in GLAM logo.png




Headlines
Read this edition in fullSingle-page

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 20:17, 2 March 2012 (UTC)

Happy Adminship Anniversary[edit]

Wikipe-tan mopping.png
Wishing Ruud Koot a very happy adminship anniversary on behalf of the Wikipedia Birthday Committee! Armbrust, B.Ed. Let's talkabout my edits? 00:38, 4 March 2012 (UTC)
Thanks. How old did I get? —Ruud 11:54, 4 March 2012 (UTC)
Promoted in 2006 means six years old. :) Armbrust, B.Ed. Let's talkabout my edits? 17:35, 4 March 2012 (UTC)

Thesis_title[edit]

What about the thesis year? And you do realize that most scientist, by the time they become notable, they probably do something way different from what their thesis was about, I hope. Also, thesis URL will most of the time stay empty. Until, say, 10 years ago, theses in life sciences rarely went online and I don't think that there is any effort at bringing older stuff online, either (sadly, very few people actually read somebodies thesis...). Anyway, if you're going to include it in the infobox, then I think the year should be there, too. Happy editing! --Guillaume2303 (talk) 01:16, 4 March 2012 (UTC)

Good suggestion about the year. I also agree that the thesis topic is often on a quite different topic, sometimes in a very different field of science, than what they become notable for. For others it's very related to their current work, or a good explanation for their favourite side interest. I think it's, like academic genealogy, a relevant bit of trivia in most cases. —Ruud 01:29, 4 March 2012 (UTC)
  • That's how I see my own thesis by now, although I would certainly have disagreed way back when (1984). I was the first in our department to write the thing using a computer 'a mainframe, using markup language for formatting, if that tells you anything... :-) Even if the files would still exist, there'd be no way to make a decent PDF out of that... --Guillaume2303 (talk) 01:36, 4 March 2012 (UTC)
It's a sad thing. Hopefully university libraries will once have the time and budget to scan the parts of their collections that aren't available digitally yet. —Ruud 01:51, 4 March 2012 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for March 5[edit]

Hi. When you recently edited Concepts (C++), you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Channel 9 (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 10:14, 5 March 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 05 March 2012[edit]

Orphaned non-free image File:Lenna full.jpg[edit]

⚠

Thanks for uploading File:Lenna full.jpg. The image description page currently specifies that the image is non-free and may only be used on Wikipedia under a claim of fair use. However, the image is currently not used in any articles on Wikipedia. If the image was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that that will be useful. However, please note that images for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on Wikipedia (see our policy for non-free media).

Note that any non-free images not used in any articles will be deleted after seven days, as described in the criteria for speedy deletion. Thank you. Skier Dude (talk) 00:48, 11 March 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 12 March 2012[edit]

RFC/U[edit]

Please review this diff.  I'm new to RFC/U and i'm not sure where I should put additional evidence.  Thanks, Unscintillating (talk) 20:33, 18 March 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 19 March 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 26 March 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 02 April 2012[edit]

Article Feedback Tool updates[edit]

Hey all. My regular(ish) update on what's been happening with the new Article Feedback Tool.

Hand-coding

As previously mentioned, we're doing a big round of hand-coding to finalise testing :). I've been completedly bowled over by the response: we have 20 editors participating, some old and some new, which is a new record for this activity. Many thanks to everyone who has volunteered so far!

Coding should actively start on Saturday, when I'll be distributing individualised usernames and passwords to everyone. If you haven't spoken to me but would be interested in participating, either drop me a note on my talkpage or email okeyes@wikimedia.org. If you have spoken to me, I'm very sorry for the delay :(. There were some toolserver database issues beyond our control (which I think the Signpost discussed) that messed with the tool.

New designs and office hours

Our awesome designers have been making some new logos for the feedback page :) Check out the oversighter view and the monitor view to get complete coverage; all opinions, comments and suggestions are welcome on the talkpage :).

We've also been working on the Abuse Filter plugin for the tool; this will basically be the same as the existing system, only applied to comments. Because of that, we're obviously going to need slightly different filters, because different things will need to be blocked :). We're holding a special office hours session tomorrow at 22:00 UTC to discuss it. If you're a regex nut, existing abuse filter writer, or simply interested in the feedback tool and have suggestions, please do come along :).

I'm pretty sure that's it; if I've missed anything or you have any additional queries, don't hesitate to contact me! Thanks, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 14:48, 4 April 2012 (UTC)

This Month in GLAM: March 2012[edit]

This month in GLAM logo.png




Headlines
Read this edition in fullSingle-page

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 18:47, 4 April 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 09 April 2012[edit]

Your HighBeam account is ready![edit]

Good news! You now have access to 80 million articles in 6500 publications through HighBeam Research. Here's what you need to know:

  • Your account activation code has been emailed to your Wikipedia email address.
    • Only 407 of 444 codes were successfully delivered; most failed because email was simply not set up (You can set it in Special:Preferences).
    • If you did not receive a code but were on the approved list, add your name to this section and we'll try again.
  • The 1-year, free period begins when you enter the code.
  • To activate your account: 1) Go to http://www.highbeam.com/prof1; 2) You’ll see the first page of a two-page registration. 3) Put in an email address and set up a password. (Use a different email address if you signed up for a free trial previously); 4) Click “Continue” to reach the second page of registration; 5) Input your basic information; 6) Input the activation code; 7) Click “Finish”. Note that the activation codes are one-time use only and are case-sensitive.
  • If you need assistance, email "help at highbeam dot com", and include "HighBeam/Wikipedia" in the subject line. Or go to WP:HighBeam/Support, or ask User:Ocaasi. Please, per HighBeam's request, do not call the toll-free number for assistance with registration.
  • A quick reminder about using the account: 1) try it out; 2) provide original citation information, in addition to linking to a HighBeam article; 3) avoid bare links to non-free HighBeam pages; 4) note "(subscription required)" in the citation, where appropriate
  • HighBeam would love to hear feedback at WP:HighBeam/Experiences
  • Show off your HighBeam access by placing {{User:Ocaasi/highbeam_userbox}} on your userpage
  • When the 1-year period is up, check applications page to see if renewal is possible. We hope it will be.

Thanks for helping make Wikipedia better. Enjoy your research! Cheers, Ocaasi t | c 21:00, 13 April 2012 (UTC)

Lookahead[edit]

I was about to go to bed, so I'm going to fix this right now, but I don't think result of the split you just performed here makes much sense at all. One dubious blurb of text made little sense in the context of Lookead and none in Lazy evaluation, the other piece of text has nothing to do with Combinatorial optimization. —Ruud 00:35, 13 April 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for the message. I agree that the article as it stood wasn't helpful, and also that the split is not much of an improvement as I was simply using the unsourced text that was available, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction. I was going by what the text and links indicated, and followed the split request. The difficulty is the lack of sources. These might help if you're looking to tidy up: Lookahead in combinatorial search, Lookahead parsing, and Lookahead and lazy evaluation. Regards SilkTork ✔Tea time 14:32, 14 April 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 16 April 2012[edit]

Abuse Filter on the Article Feedback Tool[edit]

Hey there :). You're being contacted because you're an edit filter manager, At the moment, we're developing Version 5 of the Article Feedback Tool, which you may or may not have heard about. If you haven't; for the first time, this will involve a free-text box where readers can submit comments :). Obviously, there's going to be junk, and we want to minimise that junk. To do so, we're working the Abuse Filter into the tool.

For this to work, we need people to write and maintain filters. I'd be very grateful if you could take a look at the discussion here and the attached docs, and comment and contribute! Thanks :). Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 18:30, 17 April 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 23 April 2012[edit]

Article Feedback Tool office hours[edit]

Hey Ruud Koot/2012; just a quick note to let you know that we'll be holding an Office Hours session at 18:00 UTC (don't worry, I got the time right ;p) on 4th May in #wikimedia-office. This is to show off the almost-finished feedback page and prep it for a more public release; I'm incredibly happy to have got to this point :). Hope to see you there! Regards, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 03:59, 30 April 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 30 April 2012[edit]

This Month in GLAM: April 2012[edit]

This month in GLAM logo.png




Headlines
  • USA report: Wikimedia presence at American Association of Museums; Oregon Historical County Records mass upload; brief news
  • UK report: MonmouthpediA project; first QRpedia railway station
  • Spain report: Augmented Reality; emerging artists internship; workshop for museum professionals
  • France report: Release of content and outreach
  • Netherlands report: Edit-a-thon at Teylers Museum
  • Germany report: Long Nights; Wikipedia Academy; Wikipedia meets Museums, GLAM coordinator; Wikipedian in residence vacancy; Open GLAM workshop
  • Australia and New Zealand report: Australian and New Zealand GLAM efforts
  • Israel report: GLAM:NLI Edit-a-thon; Two Wikipedian-in-Residence positions
  • Sweden report: Wikipedian in Residence at the Swedish National Heritage Board
  • Bulgaria report: State Archive, Zoo and Natural History Museum
  • Open Access report: Journal meets Wikipedia; presentations at OA and Wikimedia conferences
  • Calendar: May's GLAM events
Read this edition in fullSingle-page

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 19:13, 2 May 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 07 May 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 14 May 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 21 May 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 28 May 2012[edit]

This Month in GLAM: May 2012[edit]

This month in GLAM logo.png




Headlines
  • USA report: OCLC announces Wikipedian in Residence; 2 edit-a-thons; US cultural partnerships report; brief news
  • UK report: Monmouthpedia launches; British Library Wikipedian in Residence
  • Spain report: Wikipedian in Residence at National Art Museum; Wikimedia representation at MuseumNext
  • France report: Cultural lobbying; current and future projects
  • Italy report: Wiki Loves Monuments and Case Studies
  • Germany report: GLAM work in cities across Germany
  • Sweden report: GLAM handbook released; Europeana Awareness project launched
  • Mexico report: Collaborating with local artisans through Museo de Arte Popular
  • Africa report: Lagos Black Heritage Festival and Case Studies
  • Australia and New Zealand report: Wikimedia representation at Intelligent Info conference; editing workshops
  • Open Access report: Open Access developments: politics and software
  • Calendar: June's GLAM events
Read this edition in fullSingle-page

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 21:29, 2 June 2012 (UTC)

Article Feedback Tool, Version 5[edit]

Hey all :)

Just a quick update on what we've been working on:

  • The centralised feedback page is now live! Feel free to use it and all other feedback pages; there's no prohibition on playing around, dealing with the comments or letting others know about it, although the full release comes much later. Let me know if you find any bugs; we know it's a bit odd in Monobook, but that should be fixed in our deployment this week.
  • On Thursday, 7th June we'll be holding an office hours session at 20:00 UTC in #wikimedia-office. We'll be discussing all the latest developments, as well as what's coming up next; hope to see you all there!
  • Those of you who hand-coded feedback; I believe I contacted you all about t-shirts. If I didn't, drop me a line and I'll get it sorted out :).


Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 22:53, 4 June 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 04 June 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 11 June 2012[edit]

Nomination for deletion of Template:Polytonic[edit]

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Polytonic has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page.

You're one of the few editors who've edited this template more than once, so I'm dropping a notice here. All best — [dave] cardiff | chestnut — 01:23, 13 June 2012 (UTC)

AFT5 release coming up - help us design a banner![edit]

Hey all :). First-off, thanks to everyone for all their help so far; we're coming up to a much wider deployment :). Starting at the end of this month, and scaling up until 3 July, AFT5 will begin appearing on 10 percent of articles. For this release we plan on sending out a CentralNotice that every editor will see - and for this, we need your help :). We've got plans, we know how long it's going to run for, where it's going to run...but not what it says. If you've got ideas for banners, give this page a read and submit your suggestion! Many thanks, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 16:28, 19 June 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 18 June 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 25 June 2012[edit]

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Ruud Koot. You have new messages at Toddst1's talk page.
Message added 18:30, 27 June 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Toddst1 (talk) 18:30, 27 June 2012 (UTC)

Deletion review for Julia (programming language)[edit]

An editor has asked for a deletion review of Julia (programming language). Because you closed the deletion discussion for this page, speedily deleted it, or otherwise were interested in the page, you might want to participate in the deletion review. Msnicki (talk) 00:32, 29 June 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 02 July 2012[edit]

This Month in GLAM: June 2012[edit]

This month in GLAM logo.png




Headlines
Read this edition in fullSingle-page

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 12:48, 7 July 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 09 July 2012[edit]

Credo Reference Update & Survey (your opinion requested)[edit]

Credo Reference, who generously donated 400 free Credo 250 research accounts to Wikipedia editors over the past two years, has offered to expand the program to include 100 additional reference resources. Credo wants Wikipedia editors to select which resources they want most. So, we put together a quick survey to do that:

It also asks some basic questions about what you like about the Credo program and what you might want to improve.

At this time only the initial 400 editors have accounts, but even if you do not have an account, you still might want to weigh in on which resources would be most valuable for the community (for example, through WikiProject Resource Exchange).

Also, if you have an account but no longer want to use it, please leave me a note so another editor can take your spot.

If you have any other questions or comments, drop by my talk page or email me at wikiocaasi@yahoo.com. Cheers! Ocaasi t | c 17:31, 11 July 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 16 July 2012[edit]

Simple precedence parser[edit]

Nice work!

(Also good comments at the RfA.)

Cheers, Kiefer.Wolfowitz 08:43, 18 July 2012 (UTC)

Article Feedback newsletter[edit]

Hey all!

So, big news this week - on Tuesday, we ramped up to 5 percent of articles :). There's been a lot more feedback (pardon the pun) as I'm sure you've noticed, and to try and help we've scheduled a large number of office hours sessions, including one this evening at 22:00 UTC in the #wikimedia-office connect channel, and another at 01:00 UTC for the aussies amongst us :). I hope to see some of you there - if any of you can't make it but have any questions, I'm always happy to help.

Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 20:41, 20 July 2012 (UTC)

Mizar system page[edit]

Hi Ruud, Would you be interested in reviewing my revision of the Mizar system page? Yaniv256 (talk) 21:40, 22 July 2012 (UTC) Thanks!!!Yaniv256 (talk) 23:34, 22 July 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 23 July 2012[edit]

AFT5 newsletter[edit]

Hey again all :). So, some big news, some small news, some good news, some bad news!

On the "big news" front; we've now deployed AFT5 on to 10 percent of articles, This is pretty awesome :). On the "bad news", however, it looks like we're having to stop at 10 percent until around September - there are scaling issues that make it dangerous to deploy wider. Happily, our awesome features engineering team is looking into them as we speak, and I'm optimistic that the issues will be resolved.

For both "small" and "good" news; we've got another office hours session. This one is tomorrow, at 22:00 UTC in #wikimedia-officeconnect - I appreciate it's a bit late for Europeans, but I wanted to juggle it so US east coasters could attend if they wanted :). Hope to see you all there!

Talk:Mizar system[edit]

If you want an explanation for my edits, ask me. You need to dial back your use of the undo button. This in particular was egregious: if you think the article has sufficient secondary sources (which it most assuredly doesn't at the moment; there are only two references which aren't by sources considered to be primary) then remove the tags instead of throwing out a bunch of other copyediting in the process. As for the talk page, there have been two ANI threads on the primary contributor's misuse of the talk page as a forum and I was putting an end to that. I am all ears as to your explanation for reverting. Chris Cunningham (user:thumperward) (talk) 11:39, 27 July 2012 (UTC)

Your edits to both the article and talk page where inappropriate. The article contains a sufficient number of secondary sources and you claimed to remove some dead references, which seemed perfectly alive to me. Don't expect me to cherry pick a few minor formatting changes from your mess. The inappropriate use of the talk page had already been hidden. There was absolutely no need to hide the constructive comments left there by me and other editors. Perhaps you should do a little background research before barging in from ANI. —Ruud 12:06, 27 July 2012 (UTC)
The "dead references" were stragglers from when I pruned a named ref that just went to the project home page. "References" that just go to the root page of a website are mostly useless. As for the talk page, I still think that it should be properly formatted, but I suppose that isn't critical right now. Chris Cunningham (user:thumperward) (talk) 13:00, 27 July 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 30 July 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 06 August 2012[edit]

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Ruud Koot. You have new messages at Sun Creator's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Regards, Sun Creator (talk) 23:06, 8 August 2012 (UTC)

Again. Regards, Sun Creator (talk) 23:32, 8 August 2012 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Ruud Koot. You have new messages at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Foswiki (3rd nomination)‎.
Message added 15:39, 9 August 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

The Signpost: 13 August 2012[edit]

Infobox software RfC[edit]

Hello! In this RfC You've posted your suggestion about wording of infobox into the section about the wikilink tagrget of the infobox field. Could you please consider moving your comment to the subsection Another wording, where it seemingly belongs? — Dmitrij D. Czarkoff (talk) 03:38, 17 August 2012 (UTC)

Thanks! — Dmitrij D. Czarkoff (talk) 15:45, 17 August 2012 (UTC)


HELP[edit]

hello rudd....... I am student of engineering and working as coordinator for an event in our college's technical event "MINDS PARK". Can you suggest me some topics for computer departmental ppt presentation??????Madhusudan 11:08, 18 August 2012 (UTC)

I you want me to give you some appropriate suggestions, I'm afraid you will have to give me some more detailed information than this. From what area of computing should the topics be chosen? —Ruud 12:58, 19 August 2012 (UTC)

Revision of the article on logic programming[edit]

Hello Ruud Koot, As I think you know, the article on logic programming is a mess. I get the impression that no one wants to try to fix it in case Hewitt subjects them to attack, as the talk page of the logic programming article amply attests. Hewitt seems to be relatively quiet, although I notice he has recently been trying to push his point of view on the article on Goedel's incompleteness theorem. I would like to contribute to a revision, but I don't want to enter into an editing war. I can make some suggestions on the talk page, but is there a better way? Best wishes Compulogger (talk) 12:25, 19 August 2012 (UTC)

Yes, that article certainly has a bit of history. At some point even Bob Kowalski and the Association for Logic Programming got involved ([1], [2], [3]). Unfortunately, not much came out of that at the time. Hewitt seems to have mostly moved on to his own website and Lambda the Ultimate, but still pops up once every few months. His biography is probably the only article I won't touch anymore, the rest is just due to time constraints. So if you want to take a stab at rewriting the article on logic programming, feel free to do so. Don't forget to cite your sources, they will generally give you the winning argument if you run into any disputes. Regards, —Ruud 12:55, 19 August 2012 (UTC)

Thanks, Ruud. Maybe what I will do is put up some suggestions on the talk page first, together with an argument justifying the proposed changes, to see if anyone has any suggestions or reasonable counter-arguments. Then, all going well, I will implement the suggested changes afterwards. All the best. Compulogger (talk) 15:28, 19 August 2012 (UTC)

I have made a start. Wish me luck, and don't be shy to suggest changes - or offer help. Best. Compulogger (talk) 19:26, 19 August 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 20 August 2012[edit]

Talkback: Closure (computer science)[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Ruud Koot. You have new messages at OwenBlacker's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Thanks! — OwenBlacker (Talk) 10:21, 25 August 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 27 August 2012[edit]

Category:WikiProject Computer science stubs[edit]

I noticed you created Category:WikiProject Computer science stubs last year and made a number of stub tags include it automatically. It is very unusual to have a wikiproject category on article pages not talk pages, and equally unusual to have the stub tag automatically add to a wikiproject category. I could not find any discussion about this and was going to remove the category from the templates - the templates already add to a stub category which itself is part of the project. However I thought I should check with you first for the reason in case it is used for something (eg database reports?). --Qetuth (talk) 02:59, 30 August 2012 (UTC)

It allows you to easily view all recent changes to stubs through Special:RelatedChanges/Category: WikiProject Computer science stubs (which is linked from Wikipedia:WikiProject Computer science). It seems someone mistakenly removed the {{hiddencat}} from that category, though. Cheers, —Ruud 03:36, 30 August 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 03 September 2012[edit]

The Olive Branch: A Dispute Resolution Newsletter (Issue #1)[edit]

Welcome to the first edition of The Olive Branch. This will be a place to semi-regularly update editors active in dispute resolution (DR) about some of the most important issues, advances, and challenges in the area. You were delivered this update because you are active in DR, but if you would prefer not to receive any future mailing, just add your name to this page.

Steven Zhang's Fellowship Slideshow

In this issue:

  • Background: A brief overview of the DR ecosystem.
  • Research: The most recent DR data
  • Survey results: Highlights from Steven Zhang's April 2012 survey
  • Activity analysis: Where DR happened, broken down by the top DR forums
  • DR Noticeboard comparison: How the newest DR forum has progressed between May and August
  • Discussion update: Checking up on the Wikiquette Assistance close debate
  • Proposal: It's time to close the Geopolitical, ethnic, and religious conflicts noticeboard. Agree or disagree?
Read the entire first edition of The Olive Branch -->

--The Olive Branch 19:27, 4 September 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 10 September 2012[edit]

This Month in GLAM: August 2012[edit]

This month in GLAM logo.png




Headlines
Read this edition in fullSingle-page

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 17:02, 12 September 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia:WikiProject Computer Security[edit]

Dear Ruud,

I have added a section to Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Computer Security, called "Renovation of the project's page".

Yours sincerely,

Maarten 1963 (talk) 19:36, 14 September 2012 (UTC).


Dear editor Ruud,

I have added a writing to the section "Renovation of the project's page" of Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Computer Security.

Yours sincerely,

Maarten 1963 (talk) 15:55, 15 October 2012 (UTC).


Dear editor Ruud Koot,

I have added a writing to the section "Renovation of the project's page" of Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Computer Security.

Yours sincerely,

Maarten 1963 (talk) 16:00, 13 November 2012 (UTC).

The Signpost: 17 September 2012[edit]

Your free 1-year Questia online library account is approved ready[edit]

Good news! You are approved for access to 77,000 full-text books and 4 million journal, magazine, newspaper articles, and encyclopedia entries. Check your Wikipedia email!

  1. Go to https://www.questia.com/specialoffer
  2. Input your unique Offer ID and Promotional code. Click Continue. (Note that the activation codes are one-time use only and are case-sensitive).
  3. Create your account by entering the requested information. (This is private and no one from Wikipedia will see it).
  4. You'll then see the welcome page with your Login ID. (The account is now active for 1 year).

If you need help, please first ask Ocaasi at wikiocaasi@yahoo.com and, second, email QuestiaHelp@cengage.com along with your Offer ID and Promotional Code (subject: Wikipedia).

  • A quick reminder about using the account: 1) try it out; 2) provide original citation information, in addition to linking to a Questia article; 3) avoid bare links to non-free Questia pages; 4) note "(subscription required)" in the citation, where appropriate. Examples are at WP:Questia/Citations.
  • Questia would love to hear feedback at WP:Questia/Experiences
  • Show off your Questia access by placing {{User:Ocaasi/Questia_userbox}} on your userpage
  • When the 1-year period is up, check the applications page to see if renewal is possible. We hope it will be.

Thanks for helping make Wikipedia better. Enjoy your research! Cheers, Ocaasi EdwardsBot (talk) 05:12, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 24 September 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 01 October 2012[edit]

re: Online Communities[edit]

Yep. File File:CTB Logo.jpg should be nominated for deletion. While logos can be freely licensed, there is no indication that it is, and I doubt it was created by the student who uploaded it and tagged it with CC (User:Tpn22). Can you AfD it at commons and notify the students? I'll comment about the employment immages in the meantime. --Piotr Konieczny aka Prokonsul Piotrus| reply here 21:10, 4 October 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Computing[edit]

Hello, Ruud Koot

I have noticed that you recently merged Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Command-line examples into Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Computing. While I like the decision, is it wise to merge a guideline into an essay?

Best regards,
Codename Lisa (talk) 06:05, 5 October 2012 (UTC)

I think the difference between the two is a bit arbitrary for MoS pages, so I doubt anyone ever made a conscious decision to them as one or the other. Cheers, —Ruud 17:01, 5 October 2012 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for October 5[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Incentive-centered design, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Amazon (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 14:20, 5 October 2012 (UTC)

Syntax Highlighting[edit]

Hey Ruud, it's been a while. I wanted to let you know about an RfC I've started about getting a syntax highlighter going for the editing window. As someone with a background in CS, your feedback on the subject would certainly be appreciated. I, Jethrobot drop me a line (note: not a bot!) 08:47, 9 October 2012 (UTC)

I agree with the consensus that seems to have been forming at the RfC. In principle, syntax highlighting would be a very good thing (assuming some care is taken with the design of the colour scheme.) The last time I tried using various gadgets to enable syntax highlight—at least two years ago by now—it turned into a horrible experience, though: the available highlights contained numerous annoying bugs and were even on a decent computer quite slow to load and use. Even a small bug or small increase increase in loading time and decrease in interactivity can more than offset the benefits. But perhaps the state-of-the-art has progressed since that time. —Ruud 17:14, 9 October 2012 (UTC)

This Month in GLAM: September 2012[edit]

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 18:43, 9 October 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 08 October 2012[edit]

Date formats for ISO article[edit]

Your input is requested at Talk:International Organization for Standardization#Date formats for this article. (An edit that you made is mentioned there.) Mitch Ames (talk) 01:47, 14 October 2012 (UTC)

I don't see it? —Ruud 11:43, 14 October 2012 (UTC)
Sorry, my mistake. I was looking at this edit, which followed yours, and clicked on the wrong "user talk". Mitch Ames (talk) 13:15, 14 October 2012 (UTC)

This Month in Education: October 2012[edit]





Headlines

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription · Distributed via Global message delivery, 23:11, 15 October 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 15 October 2012[edit]

Cite techreport[edit]

Discussion moved to Help talk:Citation Style 1#Cite techreport for transparency. ---— Gadget850 (Ed) talk 03:28, 17 October 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 22 October 2012[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #29[edit]

Wikidata-logo-en.svg
Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
  • Development
    • Content Handler is now live on Wikipedia and sister sites
    • Prefix term search for entities
    • Fixed bugs that popped up after Content Handler merge
    • API function wbsearchentities
    • Discussed JavaScript refactoring
    • Refactored some JavaScript stuff (like options handling)
    • Worked on JavaScript refactoring regarding the API
    • Implemented entity selector jQuery widget
    • Continued deployment work with WMF
    • Poked at Vagrant
    • Create puppet scripts for setting up Wikibase instances
    • New release of Pywikidata
  • Discussions/Press
    • Discussions around bots on the mailing list
  • Events
    • Bootstrapping Awesome
    • SMWCon
  • Other Noteworthy Stuff
  • Open Tasks for You
Read the full report · Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 13:51, 26 October 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 29 October 2012[edit]

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Ruud Koot. You have new messages at Go Phightins!'s talk page.
Message added 21:21, 6 November 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Go Phightins! 21:21, 6 November 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 05 November 2012[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #31[edit]

Wikidata-logo-en.svg
Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
  • Development
    • Tpt wrote an awesome SpecialPage (Special:EntitiesWithoutLabel) that lists all items without a label in a given language (merged; will be in next deployment)
    • Tpt changed the page to create new items to allow you to enter links as well
    • Created patch for review for next deployment on wikidata.org
    • Updated demo system
    • Worked on and discussed editing widgets for data values
    • Some cleanup and further refactoring in JS of EditableValue
    • Added a message on the client’s Special:MovePage to invite users to update the associated page on the repository
    • Reviewed a whole pile of changesets
    • Helped with testing of deployment branch
    • Fixed Selenium search test & sitelink tests
    • Added Selenium tests for checking for security issues (JS injections)
    • Worked on Api.js refactoring
    • Worked on and fixed bugs in wbsearchentities
    • Couple of minor fixes in the front end
    • Introduced siteselector jQuery widget untangling functionality of SiteIdInterface
  • Events
    • office hours (logs here and here)
    • WMF metrics and activities meeting
    • right now: Wikimedia Conferentie + hackathon
    • upcoming: ISWC
    • upcoming: talk at Berkman Center
    • upcoming: intro and Q&A in Vienna
  • Open Tasks for You
    • Hack on one of these
    • Continue rocking!
Read the full report · Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 22:32, 9 November 2012 (UTC)

This is not a newsletter[edit]

This is just a tribute.

Anyway. You're getting this note because you've participated in discussion and/or asked for updates to either the Article Feedback Tool or Page Curation. This isn't about either of those things, I'm afraid ;p. We've recently started working on yet another project: Echo, a notifications system to augment the watchlist. There's not much information at the moment, because we're still working out the scope and the concepts, but if you're interested in further updates you can sign up here.

In addition, we'll be holding an office hours session at 21:00 UTC on Wednesday, 14 November in #wikimedia-office - hope to see you all there :). I appreciate it's an annoying time for non-Europeans: if you're interested in chatting about the project but can't make it, give me a shout and I can set up another session if there's enough interest in one particular timezone or a skype call if there isn't. Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 11:19, 10 November 2012 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for November 13[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited First-class citizen, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Agda (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 12:17, 13 November 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 12 November 2012[edit]

This Month in Education: November 2012[edit]





Headlines

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription · Distributed via Global message delivery, 02:25, 16 November 2012 (UTC)

AFT5 newsletter[edit]

Hey all :). A couple of quick updates (one small, one large)

First, we're continuing to work on some ways to increase the quality of feedback and make it easier to eliminate and deal with non-useful feedback: hopefully I'll have more news for you on this soon :).

Second, we're looking at ways to increase the actual number of users patrolling and take off some of the workload from you lot. Part of this is increasing the prominence of the feedback page, which we're going to try to do with a link at the top of each article to the relevant page. This should be deployed on Tuesday (touch wood!) and we'll be closely monitoring what happens. Let me know if you have any questions or issues :). Thanks, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 14:29, 16 November 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 19 November 2012[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #33[edit]

Wikidata-logo-en.svg
Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
  • Development
    • Updated demo system
    • Refactored and improved change propagation code
    • Add option for client and change propagations to work with job queue
    • Added filter and preference for recent changes on the client, to show/hide Wikidata edits
    • Pruning of changes table
    • Fixed some issues in the Wikidata Vagrant
    • Added puppet recipe for Wikidata on WMF labs
    • Worked on making statements editable in the frontend
    • JSON of entities is sent to the frontend now
    • Finalized DataTypes extension’s $.valueview system
    • Improved entity selector widget
    • Added Selenium tests for special pages
    • Tracking separate revision ids in Javascript to fix the edit conflict handling
    • Fixed fatal PHP error in Special:SetLabel
    • Entities with just whitespaces as label/description are not allowed anymore
  • Discussions/Press
  • Events
    • upcoming: Offener Sonntag at WMDE’s membership assembly
    • upcoming: SWIB
    • foss.in
    • local meetup in Bangalore
  • Other Noteworthy Stuff
  • Open Tasks for You
Read the full report · Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 09:02, 24 November 2012 (UTC)

AFT5 office hours[edit]

Hey all :). Just a quick note to say we'll be holding office hours in #wikimedia-office at 21:30 UTC this Thursday (the 29th) to show everyone the additional tools we're thinking of working on. All attendence and feedback is appreciated :). Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 14:02, 27 November 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 26 November 2012[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #34[edit]

Wikidata-logo-en.svg
Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
  • Development
    • Added DirectSqlStore to client so that it can directly access the repository database, and not require creating any tables on the client
    • Bug fixing on the client extension, and preparing it for first deployment
    • Less edit conflicts due to a smarter conflict detection
    • Better recent changes comments on the client
    • Clean up on the backend for entity artefacts
    • The statement UI enables to create statements and displays them, but has still a few glitches
    • The client now accesses the data on the server directly, and the data is not replicated anymore
    • Added a number of profiler calls
    • Special:Contributions displays labels now
    • User preference on the client to hide Wikidata edits
    • Statements can be created and saved now
    • Statements are properly styled in JavaScript and non-JavaScript version
    • Improved JavaScript part of the templating engine
    • Improved entity selector widget
    • Client:Watchlist Selenium Tests
    • Client: RecentChanges Selenium tests
    • Added DataValues, DataTypes, jQuery.ui QUnit tests to Selenium
    • Some PHPUnit test fixes
  • Discussions/Press
  • Events
    • Linuxday
    • Open Sunday after Wikimedia Deutschland’s membership assembly
    • SWIB
    • foss.in
    • upcoming: intro and Q&A in Bangalore
  • Other Noteworthy Stuff
  • Open Tasks for You
Read the full report · Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 08:23, 1 December 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 03 December 2012[edit]

Welcome to the Michel Laurin defense team.[edit]

As you may or may not know, Michel Laurin is a world-class expert on the phylogeny and anatomy of early tetrapods, eminently familiar with the latest research. Fortunately for Wikipedia, he has joined the ranks of editors. As he is a leader in his field, he finds it necessary at times to cite his own work, all of which is in highly respected peer-reviewed journals. User:MrOllie has been repeately reverting his contributions, either with no edit summary or with a brief comment that the COI policy has been violated. As I understand it, material that "is relevant and conforms to the content policies", in the language of WP:COI, does not violate the policy.

User:Sminthopsis84, User:Medeis, User:Stranger forever, and I are following this and regularly reverting MrOllie's reversions of Laurin. I am pleased to note that you have joined the effort. Wikipedia is privileged to have Laurin as an editor, and this harassment is most undesirable.

Peter Brown (talk) 01:38, 7 December 2012 (UTC) Hello,

Thank you very much to all of you. I had actually decided to give up contributing to Wikipedia before I learned that there might be a recourse to stop seeing my contributions systematically destroyed, mostly by MrOllie. I understand that Kuud is a moderator, so if you can please check out the discussion here and see if you want to do something abou this, I would very much appreciate. And if this requires me putting another appeal elsewhere, I am perfectly willing to do it, although I may occasionally need some technical help (although I am an experienced scientist, I am fairly new at working for Wikipedia), which I hope Peter can provide, if need be, so that Kuud will not need to put too much time into this.

Best wishes,

Michel Laurin (talk) 04:14, 7 December 2012 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #35[edit]

Wikidata-logo-en.svg
Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
Read the full report · Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 13:23, 7 December 2012 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for December 9[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Mark Jason Dominus, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Wired (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 12:30, 9 December 2012 (UTC)

This Month in GLAM: November 2012[edit]

This month in GLAM logo.png




Headlines
Read this edition in fullSingle-page

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 17:59, 9 December 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/SableVM[edit]

I'm loath to allow this AfD to be derailed into off-topic discussion. How about just accepting that someone else may have a different experience of academia to your own? I'm happy to accept that your experiences may be of rigorous peer review for conference papers, why can't you just accept that my experiences may differ? If you feel the article should be kept, fine. I'm not convinced. If someone can come up with a good argument for keeping then I would be happy for it to be kept, but I don't see it yet - the onus is not on me to prove that coverage doesn't exist - one can never prove that, only that insufficient coverage can be found. I asked which source is independent and provides significant coverage, simply because having looked through the sources I don't see one - maybe someone could answer that question? I'm fine with you having a different opinion to mine. Could you afford me the same courtesy? Thanks. --Michig (talk) 19:10, 10 December 2012 (UTC)

As you haven't retracted your claim I have replied at the AfD in the interest of transparency. —Ruud 19:48, 10 December 2012 (UTC)
Oh well. I tried. --Michig (talk) 19:53, 10 December 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 10 December 2012[edit]

RE: Welcome[edit]

Thank you,

I was once a member here years ago and remember some javascript utilities for watching for malicious edits, etc. Do you know what I'm talking about or where I can get utilities to help with editing? I also frequent other Wikimedia learning resource sites, and was wondering if you know of any efforts to really, effectively tie together the learning resources into curricula. Wikiversity never seems to advance compared to Wikipedia, and if there were just some sort of prerequisite tree based guide to the articles on Wikipedia, I think it could be a very useful addendum to traditional books and/or coursework as knowledge guide. If not I may have to bust out some ruby or something.

-- That Funky Chunky — Preceding unsigned comment added by Pimp slap the funk (talkcontribs) 21:36, 13 December 2012 (UTC)

Wikidata weekly summary #36[edit]

Wikidata-logo-en.svg
Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
  • Development
    • Deployed new code on wikidata.org. All changes can be found here
    • Updated demo system
    • http://test2.wikipedia.org now uses http://wikidata.org for getting language links and wikidata.org edits affecting the existing articles on test2 show up in RecentChanges (if they are not hidden)
    • Statements (think of “population: 2.000.000” and similar things) are taking shape in the interface. They are still pretty buggy though at this point.
    • It is now possible to link to images on Wikimedia Commons in a statement (think of “image: sundown_at_the_beach.png” for example)
    • Links are now protocol-relative (bugzilla:42534)
    • No longer possible to create new items and set labels when database is set to read-only
    • Added more tests to the GeoCoordinate parser
    • Make use of EditEntity in removeclaims API
    • Removed many singletons to reduce global state
    • Made SpecialSetLabel work with non-item entities
    • Improved settings system
    • Improved options of ValueFormatters
    • Improved options of ValueParsers
    • Moved label+description uniqueness check out of transaction to avoid deadlocks and changed it to only be enforced for edits changing any violating values
    • Fixed serialization of SiteArray
    • ~=[,,_,,]:3
    • Had to fix reporting of aliases in wbsearchentities again
    • Implemented integration of baserevids for statements UI API calls for editconflict detection for statements/claims/snaks
    • Universal Language Selector fallback fix for Selenium tests
    • Report URL to entity in wbsearchentites API module
    • Moved the demo system to a larger server
    • Fixed several bugs in Statements user interface, most notably, adding Statements to existing sections and layout fixes
    • Added wikibase API module on the client to provide information about the associated repo (e.g. url, script path, article path)
    • A bunch of messages for autocomments were fixed (they are automatically added as an edit summary for edits on items and co in Wikidata - for example: “‎Changed [en] description: Finnish rock band”)
  • Discussions/Press
  • Events
    • WhereCamp
    • Wikidata talk as part of a lecture on knowledge management in Karlsruhe
    • upcoming: 29C3
    • upcoming: Office hours
  • Other Noteworthy Stuff
  • Open Tasks for You
    • Want to help Lydia write the next weekly summary? Let her know.
    • Hack on one of these
Read the full report · Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 14:48, 14 December 2012 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for December 16[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Type system, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Run time (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 11:42, 16 December 2012 (UTC)

This Month in Education: December 2012[edit]





Headlines

To assist with preparing the newsletter, please visit the newsroom. Past editions may be viewed here.

If this message is not on your home wiki's talk page, update your subscription · Distributed via Global message delivery, 22:41, 17 December 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 17 December 2012[edit]

The Signpost: 24 December 2012[edit]

Wikidata weekly summary #38[edit]

Wikidata-logo-en.svg
Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week. It's rather short this time because pretty much everyone enjoys some well-deserved vacation.
  • Development
    • Some of us unwrapped gifts (-:
    • Started working on supporting different kinds of Snaks in the user interface
    • Fixing support for PostgreSQL in core, which was broken with introduction of the sites stuff
    • Code reviewing of changes in MediaWiki core
    • Adding watchlist filter in client for Wikidata changes
  • Discussions/Press
  • Events
    • right now: 29C3
  • Open Tasks for You
Read the full report · Unsubscribe · Global message delivery 19:48, 28 December 2012 (UTC)

The Signpost: 31 December 2012[edit]