User talk:Swerdnaneb/Lethaniol dialog
First things first.
Lethaniol, you can edit this... right? -- Ben 00:27, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- Yep, you can edit anything - even other people's pages. Only thing you may not be able to edit are Special pages or Protected pages. Lethaniol 00:30, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- If you leave a message here, as I will watch the page, I will answer it here to, if that is good for you. Lethaniol 00:31, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- Go to bed!! :) -- Ben 00:34, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- Okay, otherwise may fail my PhD :(:( - but beware Wikipedia is addictive - just one more edit :) Lethaniol 00:40, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
Sign your comments
afd goof up
- I think so. It is difficult to say what went on as the page has been speedy deleted now - see Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Log/2006 December 8 for result - but I am sure you have seen this already. Glad it got sorted.
- One point to remember - sometimes when something has been agreed to be done, or a time limit has gone past it will take an Administrator a few mins to hours to enact upon it and get it sorted. Don't know if this helps. Lethaniol 23:54, 8 December 2006 (UTC)
- See Wikipedia:Cleaning up vandalism for a list of tools, have a play with some. I think the RSS channel for New Pages is a firefox plugin - will check when I get home. I suppose if you use Internet explorer there are other ways of getting the RSS. Will check when I get home :):) Lethaniol 14:27, 9 December 2006 (UTC)
- I see you are enjoying reverting Vandalism with Lupin's tools - thought I would just make a quick suggestion. Although it is great to revert Vandalism - you also need to warn the User (especially if they are registered and not an IP). This means if the User continues to vandalise then there is a record of the warnings and they can be escalated gradually. See Wikipedia:Cleaning up vandalism section 2 of What to do if you spot vandalism. Also if the Vandalism seems to just be a test then issue a Template:Welcome or if you want to advertise Adopt-a-User then issue a Template:Adopt-a-User Welcome. Also remember to Wikipedia:Template substitution.
- If none of this makes sense then leave me a message - enjoy - Lethaniol 17:30, 11 December 2006 (UTC)
- Yeah. Lupin's rc tool is really great. I'm actually working on IP edits... I'm hitting the warn occasionally... :) I'm just waiting until I blast something that should have been blasted... PENIS!!! Good times. Thanks for checking in with me! I hope everything is going well for you. -- Ben (talk) 17:38, 11 December 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks for bringing to my attention - yes this is definitely a WP:CSD, because it is a blatant copyright vio from http://web2con.com/. If it was rewritten there still might be problems with advertisement spam (a CSD issue) or notability (a WP:PROD or WP:AFD issue) but I have not looked in depth to check. Sorry I have to taken the liberty of putting up the CSD tag already as copyvio are one of the most important things to delete - and with speed - otherwise may have legal issues.
- Again well picked up - Lethaniol 22:45, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
- This is a difficult one - and therefore a good question. If you were going to suggest deletion then AFD is the right thing to do. You might want to check if it has ever been up for deletion before (check its history), and has it been edited often recently (or has it been left to dwell). On first look I would agree, a list that might warrant deletion. What I might do is talk to its main contributor and see what they had planed for it, and other options include bringing it up with the relevant Wikipedia:WikiProject. Now I could have searched out all the particulars but I thought it better to point you in the right direction because I am sure you will make the right choice. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Lethaniol 00:15, 14 December 2006 (UTC)
- No your not crazy, but you are right to question yourself. If you have any doubts in your mind, better to use PROD or AFD. As a bit of work has gone into article, PROD will likely be a waste of your time, as creator will just remove.
- Of course you might be wrong this might be a notable list, I personally am not sure it is, but that is what the AFD process is all about, deciding what and what not belongs in Wikipedia. If in doubt ask others and try to reach consensus, while doing in such a way that the main contributors know what's going on and can have their say.
- Your doing good work, keep it up Lethaniol 16:25, 19 December 2006 (UTC)
Just thought I would by and say happy new year, and check that things are all good with you. Cheers Lethaniol 10:11, 5 January 2007 (UTC)
- Hey! Happy New Year to you, too! I'm on a bit of a holiday. Visiting family. Not updating very much. How about you? Anything exciting going on?
- I'm not really working on that much. I watched recent changes for a little bit the other day... blah blah blah. I started an afd for an unmaintainable list. I have been watching that. Other than that, I'm not really doing much.
- A friend got me started playing OGame. I don't want to think about how much of a timesink it is...
- Glad you are doing well - yeah it takes a bit of time to get into Wikipedia and really find something to get your teeth into - it then turns into a time sink. Oh well all for the greater good. I have also gone back to playing a computer game Final Fantasy XI - oh dear - where is my life going.
- Anyway if you do get stuck for things to do, give us a shout and some ideas of what interests you (subject and tasks) and we can find something. Cheers Lethaniol 16:12, 5 January 2007 (UTC)
- IMHO - This section has been copied from external source, reword/reorder slightly so not an obvious copyvio -
I saw the wikipedia guidelines say someplace that in articles about religions the definition of the religion or religious tenets have to be taken from the doctrines adopted by those in the religion.
- This section I believe is not a copyvio, looks like made from scratch awaiting citation -
Most people in the past have said the more turns the better. An old stand by was 20-30 in mono and 60 or more in braided line but Sport Fishing Magazine proved a 12 turn Bimini is the strongest combination.
- Not a CSD for copyvio as only a small amount of copyvio text, looks notable and otherwise well written stub.
- My suggestion - rewrite first two sentances slightly, and leave a message on the offending editor's talk page explaining that you can not just cut and paste from the internet - no matter how small a section - unless it is a quote and cited. Hope that helps Cheers Lethaniol 20:54, 17 January 2007 (UTC)
Could I get your opinion on this? I have been following these around since I was watching one of the articles. I posted on the editor's talk page. Am I crazy? Or does this look like spam to you? -- Ben 15:06, 3 February 2007 (UTC)
- You have stumbled upon a difficult topic - if we should be linking to websites such a YouTube which has many copyright issues is a massive ongoing debate. If I can find the link I will add it here.
- In this case this is clear spamming because:
- The web links go to the homepage and not the actual video in question.
- You are forced to register (even if free) to access these videos.
- Hence these links are promoting the website without giving immediate access to the videos. Also you would need to check up on the issues of linking to copyvio issue also.
- Also make sure you read up Wikipedia:Spam which has some useful info on how to deal with spammers. Cheers Lethaniol 15:20, 3 February 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks. You are too good to me. :) -- Ben 15:50, 3 February 2007 (UTC)