Replied to your post
Hi. I raised a question in the help forum. As a result of the reply I received, I am contacting you in the hope that you can double-check the accuracy of a cited source. I will paste in the help forum item to explain the details.
Regards Tesseract72 (talk) 00:11, 28 July 2008 (UTC)
- (Pasted from help forum)
- cited source contradicts personal knowledge of a subject
- I am wondering what is an acceptable way to edit an article to point out that
- information from a quoted source seems to be wrong, but I only have my personal
- recollection to back this up.
- To give a specific example, the article about Frenchs Forest states (using a cited
- reference) that this place underwent a transformation from farmland to residential
- building starting in the 1960s. However I lived there in the 1960s and I am sure
- the transformation from farmland to residential building began many years earlier
- and was actually drawing to a close by the 1960s.
- Maybe the cited reference was wrong. Or maybe someone has misinterpreted it. I don't
- feel I can just edit the statement out based on my own recollections. But is there
- a polite way of leaving the citation in, but pointing out that there is reason to
- doubt its accuracy?
- I have not seen examples of this dilemma in other articles I have read, so am
- uncertain what is the acceptable way of editing in this situation.
- Tesseract72 (talk) 15:51, 27 July 2008 (UTC)
- You could add a
This article's factual accuracy is disputed.
- [dubious ] tag to that part of the article and
- then explain the situation (a copy-paste of your explanation here would do). But
- if I were you, I would politely request confirmation from the person who connected
- that citation with that fact, J Bar (talk · contribs). However, given our
- verifiability policy, (correctly) cited informaion always
- tops an editor's recollection (this being the internet, and no one
- knowing each other).--chaser - t 16:24, 27 July 2008 (UTC)
- Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:New_contributors%27_help_page"
- You could add a
I have checked the reference material and have moved the reference tag to the material that I have contributed. I have deleted the inaccurate line which was provided by another editor and wasn't actualy part of my reference material. Sorry for the late response. Cheers. J Bar (talk) 00:16, 27 August 2008 (UTC)