User talk:TheDJ

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Welcome to my talk page !
I'd love to hear from you, simply leave a message.


Contents

Echo[edit]

Hi DJ, I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I designed Echo. Brandon had created a direction doc a long time ago and we've pivoted quite a bit from there so would love to hear any specific design feedback with the content organization, email ux or interface. Thanks. Vibhabamba (talk) 18:52, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

Turning Sharebox into a gadget[edit]

Hi TheDJ! In your edit dated 22:21, 21 October 2011 you wrote: "See User:TheDJ/Sharebox. If anyone wants to propose it as a gadget, then do so". We still get requests like this once in a while, so I think turning Sharebox into a gadget may be a good idea. Personally I strongly dislike Facebook, but that is just my POV. How can we start the process of turning this into a opt-in gadget? Sorry, I have never tried that before. Arcandam (talk) 21:52, 17 May 2012 (UTC)

Officially, there is a process, but it's probably easier/quicker to go to Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical), since it seems not too many folks follow gadget proposal pages. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 19:10, 22 May 2012 (UTC)
Thanks! See Wikipedia:Gadget/proposals and Wikipedia:Village pump (technical). Arcandam (talk) 01:40, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
Hello again TheDJ! Would you be so kind to write a good description of Sharebox (as a gadget) which mentions the possible privacy concerns? I expect that those with privacy concerns are not very interested in using this gadget anyway BTW. Arcandam (talk) 20:56, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
This previous proposal might be a a good start. ---— Gadget850 (Ed) talk 22:52, 23 May 2012 (UTC)

Tech Report[edit]

Hey Derk-Jan. I'm in a little bit of a pickle, and I was wondering if you could help me out. Basically, I have exams coming up, so I'm not going to be able to write the Tech report to its usual length, though the amount of extra time needed differs by the week:

  • Next week (28 May) - I'll write a leader about the developer/non-developer divide, handle the poll, and probably help with IBs. I could use somebody picking up and writing a second story, however.
  • The week after that (4 June) - I'll write a leader about the Berlin hackathon, handle the poll, and copyedit. I could use someone helping with either a second story, or at least a good handful of IBs.
  • The week after that (11 June) - I'll chip in with a few IBS, polling and a copyedit, but I could use someone writing one or two main stories.
  • The week after that (18 June) - I'll only be able to handle polling and a copyedit; it might be that we have to sit this one out unless somebody wants to take charge.

Since you've helped out before, is there any possibility you might be able to contribute to one or more of these issues? I'll also be sending this message to Aude, as well, but I know she's busy with DC stuff. Regards, - Jarry1250 [Deliberation needed] 16:10, 22 May 2012 (UTC)

I unfortunately have to decline since the signpost is largely intended to inform a community that I have decided to no longer support with my technical commentary and assistence. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 18:56, 22 May 2012 (UTC)
Fair enough. It is certainly correct to say that only about 11-12% of direct Signpost recipients receive it on a project other than the English Wikipedia. Personally I like to think that the Tech Report is a useful way of bridging the formative developer-Wikimedian divide, but obviously you're entitled to your own view on that one. Are you at Berlin, btw? - Jarry1250 [Deliberation needed] 22:08, 22 May 2012 (UTC)
It is a useful way to bridge that divide, but since that is the only thing I was still doing at the English Wikipedia to begin with and it is obviously demotivating me more than is healthy for both 'parties' I decide I better focus on 100% development instead of 90% keeping up with en.wp and 10% development. I am in Berlin this weekend indeed. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 20:20, 31 May 2012 (UTC)

OpenOil in Berlin[edit]

Hi

Are you based in Berlin? I came across you as a guest at the Berlin hackathon this weekend? And thought I might send you a message to see if you would have the chance to meet up with some of my colleagues at OpenOil over the next few weeks.

We have a MediaWiki platform at wiki.openoil.net, currently fairly basic, which we use for capacity building exercises around the extractive industries as part of our social mandate. We have been looking at various extensions (eg. mapping, comments, social media, mobile skin etc) which it would be interesting to discuss with you.

Please get in touch on lucy.wallwork@openoil.net if you fancy meeting for lunch one day, and I can pass you on to deal with my colleagues Zara and Amrit.

Cheers. Lucy. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 87.189.117.93 (talk) 14:12, 6 June 2012 (UTC)

Classy[edit]

Yeah, that might've been a little much. I just get frustrated at how easily the site goes splat. Ten Pound Hammer(What did I screw up now?) 01:14, 4 July 2012 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, TheDJ. You have new messages at Cyan Gardevoir's talk page.
Message added 11:28, 5 July 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Gilderien Chat|List of good deeds 11:28, 5 July 2012 (UTC)

Wikimapia[edit]

Perhaps you could give some input on the noticeboard threads concerning this site? Sfan00 IMG (talk) 20:43, 9 July 2012 (UTC)

Which noticeboard threads ? I don't see any links to such things on the Talk page. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 20:47, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard#Wikimapia Sfan00 IMG (talk) 22:50, 9 July 2012 (UTC)

scribunto.wmflabs.org[edit]

Thanks for the info on the VPT. I followed your links and created:

I see you've had a flurry of accounts created over there; above is me, so don't whack it. Br'er Rabbit (talk) 00:45, 12 July 2012 (UTC)

edittop.js[edit]

Hi, this edit has broken the gadget - the edit link now appears to the left of the article title. This is in Firefox 14.0.1 - not sure about other browsers. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:40, 18 July 2012 (UTC)

Oh, it's working properly again. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:42, 18 July 2012 (UTC)
Yeah sorry, i tested it only on right to left languages and thus accidentally flipped the logic. My (big) mistake. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 13:44, 18 July 2012 (UTC)

Use of colour in Template:Infobox television[edit]

The issue of the use of colour in {{Infobox television}} has arisen again. I discovered two related edits by you on this subject,[1][2] so I thought I should inform you that there is currently a discussion at Template talk:Infobox television#Infobox colors into which you may wish to have input. --AussieLegend (talk) 20:53, 19 July 2012 (UTC)

Thank you for the notice. I will not participate in a new discussion, my position has not really changed. We should not be skittlepedia, but nor should we be boringpedia. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 22:12, 19 July 2012 (UTC)

Thoughts?[edit]

See [3]; the current citation templates are dumping raw wikitext into COinS metadata. It doesn't look like a trivial problem to solve, even with Scribunto/Lua. Thoughts? Choess (talk) 16:07, 26 July 2012 (UTC)

bug links[edit]

Oops! Your three edits just now at VPT linking to [[bug:nnnnn]] are creating interwiki links to Buginese Wikipedia (bug:). As I'm sure you'll realise, you need to use [[bugzilla:nnnnn]] (except on Bugzilla itself, of course, when the syntax becomes bug nnnnn). — Richardguk (talk) 08:27, 1 August 2012 (UTC)

And in svn, and in gerrit.. yeah, it all becomes a bit confusing at times. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 08:34, 1 August 2012 (UTC)

Please check[edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, TheDJ. Please check your email – you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{YGM}} template.

Tari Buttar (talk) 04:59, 5 August 2012 (UTC)

Re: Accessibility experiment[edit]

Hi DJ, sure, I'd be happy to help out with any experiments to improve accessibility. As for the ARIA script, the landmarks read fine with JAWS. It is pretty nifty to be able to press a key and move to the different parts of the page instantly! Some of the landmarks seem a little redundant to me, but that is probably because I still use the Monobook skin which has more headings than Vector. I confess I don't know much about ARIA or landmarks, but I'm willing to learn ... I just havenn't encountered them very often. Graham87 14:40, 7 August 2012 (UTC)

$.cookie() vs. document.cookie...[edit]

I updated bugzilla:38009 with more details; in short however, I can't figure out why this works:

$('a[href$="toggle_view_mobile"]').click(function(){
       document.cookie = 'stopMobileRedirect=false; domain=.wikipedia.org;'
                       + 'path=/; expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT;';
});

but this doesn't:

$('a[href$="toggle_view_mobile"]').click(function(){
       $.cookie('stopMobileRedirect','false',
                { domain: '.wikipedia.org',
                  path: '/',
                  expires: 'Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT'});
});

Any suggestions? Thanks! sn‾uǝɹɹɐʍɯ (talk) 07:15, 16 August 2012 (UTC)

Just use $.cookie( 'stopMobileRedirect', null ); I use it here and it seems to work for me. I had to clear the browser cache on the first test though. It seems iOS does not respect all the cache invalidation on our JS files. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 07:48, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
I saw your addition to MediaWiki:Common.is yesterday; thank you, but unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem (at least for my iOS 5.1.1 device) even after clearing the cache and cookies. The steps I wrote up in the bug reproduce the problem every time on my mobile browser even after the update in Common.is. Changing the code to use document.cookie instead of $.cookie() (in my User:common.js) does successfully resolve the problem. Are we testing using different browsers/platforms? Thanks, sn‾uǝɹɹɐʍɯ (talk) 17:45, 16 August 2012 (UTC)

Design feedback[edit]

Hey - if you have a moment, I'd love to hear your feedback on my draft main page redesign proposal. Thanks, — Pretzels Hii! 18:05, 25 August 2012 (UTC)

Test2 Wikipedia[edit]

Since I've Scribbled Template:collapsible list (Template:collapsible list), it would be useful to have the parts of MediaWiki:Common.js that deal with "dynamic navigation bars" added to MediaWiki:Common.js. I'd add them myself, but cannot for the obvious reason. Uncle G (talk) 13:42, 4 September 2012 (UTC)

Yes check.svg DoneTheDJ (talkcontribs) 16:08, 4 September 2012 (UTC)

Accessibility issues[edit]

Thanks so much for your feedback on the edit tweaks; in particular I loved the accessibility use case - we can't cut people with accessibility issues out of the loop. I've scheduled a meeting with the team to discuss all the concerns tomorrow: can you elaborate on what you see potentially being the problem? Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 22:09, 5 September 2012 (UTC)

  • I see the following issues:
    1. The mockup seems to use lightgray on white. This might be a contrast issue. For the minimum and advised contrast levels, check WCAG 2.0.
    2. The wmflabs demo uses tiny (10px for me) black text on dark gray. The text is smaller than we usually have in the wikis. Again that can be an accessiblity issue. Combined with a possible contrast issue between front and background color, it requires attention
    3. The collapsible link gives no feedback to screenreader users that the element can be used as a button. Needs to be either <a> or <button> or use a wai-aria hint.
    4. The warnings are a summation. For the sake of screenreader users, it should be considered to make this an actual unordered list, with li items, using en.wp's hlist. See also Wikipedia:HLIST#Horizontal_lists and MediaWiki:Common.css. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 22:24, 5 September 2012 (UTC)
      Good points all :). I'll bring them up word-for-word tomorrow, and we should be able to fix them up before we deploy. Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 22:28, 5 September 2012 (UTC)

Template talk:Tall image[edit]

I thought I would contact you since you have edited Template:Tall image and the creator of the template has left Wikipedia. I describe a problem with the template at Template talk:Tall image, and I thought you may be able to fix it. Hyacinth (talk) 22:16, 8 September 2012 (UTC)

How to upload a logo of a newspaper?[edit]

Hi DJ! Regards from Miami. I'm writing an article about a newspaper from Argentina. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misiones_Online

I saw you upload and your example in another article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:El_D%C3%ADa_(La_Plata).png

Im going to need your help to upload the logo of this newspaper, "Misiones On Line" from Argentina. Can you help me, please? Thank you.--Misty2011 (talk) 17:56, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

Template:Lang title[edit]

The Template:Lang title documentation does not state clearly where in the article the template is supposed to go. I wonder: is it supposed to be the first item in an article? Is there some way of finding out if it is used at all in English Wikipedia (i.e. does it set a category, as—I believe—Template:Lang does?) Background: Some diacritics-crazy people have been adding diacritics (including Vietnamese diacritics) to article titles. I'm also curious if the same template is used in all the foreign-language Wikipedias (the documentation suggests so). I gave one of the foreign Wikipedias a quick glance but couldn't see it. LittleBen (talk) 22:00, 28 September 2012 (UTC)

(talk page stalker) It's easy to find out if it's in use. Go to the template page, click "What links here" (in the left margin menus) and then "Hide links", which will reduce the list to just the transclusions. At the moment, there are none. --Redrose64 (talk) 22:44, 28 September 2012 (UTC)
  • The Template:Lang title documentation says that it's used on a large number of pages, and foreign-language article titles should have W3C language markup tags. So I'm wondering how the markup is currently done (assuming that English Wikipedia is W3C semantic markup and accessibility compliant)—possibly Template:Lang title has been replaced by another template? Or perhaps it has fallen by the wayside in the switch to HTML5?  User:TheDJ is shown as the author of Template:Lang title.
  • I have just plugged this into the W3C HTML/XHTML validator, and got a lot of errors. Possibly the W3C validator doesn't check for proper language tagging, either. The source doesn't show any language tags, and a quick look at the Wiki code doesn't show any language templates such as Template:Lang either.
  • I also tried this (the Japanese-language page for "Tokyo") in the W3C HTML/XHTML validator, and also got a lot of errors. I don't know if I'm game to try the W3C CSS validator as well :-( LittleBen (talk) 08:14, 29 September 2012 (UTC)
This template was created in response to this discussion as well as {{Titlelang}}. Both templates were not used by those discussing the issue it seems
  • The template carried the "large number of pages" warning due to a copy paste error.
  • Currently no language tag markup is applied to page titles, at least not by template.
  • "assuming that English Wikipedia is W3C semantic markup and accessibility compliant", you assume wrong. It's not accessibility compliant, nor is it valid HTML5. That is always what we should strive towards, but in terms of 'compliancy' we only go with what makes stuff work in browsers.
I'd advise a new template, with the sole purpose of putting a span + language code around it and does not output categories. This template can then be used INSIDE {{DISPLAYTITLE}}. Like {{DISPLAYTITLE:{{lang titlepart|vi|Buôn Ma Thuột}} city}}. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 12:36, 29 September 2012 (UTC)
I've now retooled {{lang title}} into {{lang titlepart}} and applied it to your vietnamese example. —TheDJ (talkcontribs)

Suggestions for improving Wikipedia's Search[edit]

Comment: As you seem to be a user-interface expert as well as a template expert, you may be interested in my suggestions here. LittleBen (talk) 14:30, 29 September 2012 (UTC)

hi — Preceding unsigned comment added by 217.81.101.124 (talk) 20:24, 29 September 2012 (UTC)

K, I'll look at it closer when I get back home this weekend. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 10:43, 3 October 2012 (UTC)

Related suggestion on "Apparently-broken Special:Search page" is here. LittleBen (talk) 04:50, 20 November 2012 (UTC)

A pie for you![edit]

A very beautiful Nectarine Pie.jpg Thanks for creating the Qui system! Anonymouse321 (talk) 05:19, 1 October 2012 (UTC)

A beer for you![edit]

Export hell seidel steiner.png Good to see you old friend. Stillwaterising (talk) 05:52, 1 October 2012 (UTC)

Work your usability voodoo![edit]

Hey, TheDJ! Thanks so much for all your feedback on the edit window changes; it was really helpful, and helped us spot a lot of bugs before rather than after deployment :). We've got another set of ideas if you want to chip in - no prototype for you to prod yet, but it's coming, and any feedback on just the design would be great :). Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 21:04, 2 October 2012 (UTC)

Finding images[edit]

Hello TheDJ! I noticed you were a contributor to this discussion... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28technical%29#Suggestion_for_programmers_-_finding_images

As OP of the discussion, I just posted some new information that I think is important and goes to the heart of the problem. Hope you don't mind my letting you know. Take care. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 3dimen (talkcontribs) 09:14, 4 October 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for your reply[edit]

FYI, I replied with this. Best. Biosthmors (talk) 15:37, 4 October 2012 (UTC)

And now I've found my browser version so I put that down. Thanks again. Biosthmors (talk) 21:33, 8 October 2012 (UTC)

Apparent language template bug[edit]

To the language template genius: It's not urgent or essential that it be fixed, because I found a partial work-around, but I've just noticed that Template:Nihongo seems to have a bug: When I display it in my user sandbox there's no problem, example: Hepburn romanization system (Japanese: ヘボン式ローマ字 Hepburn: Hebon-shiki Rōmaji?)—but when the same template (with the same contents) is pasted into the lede of the Hepburn romanization article, the "Hepburn" appears in bold, and is not a link. (I modified the contents of the template in the lede to work around the problem). LittleBen (talk) 12:08, 23 October 2012 (UTC)

(talk page stalker) This is not a problem with that template, but is a general feature of Wiki markup: if the wikicode of a page contains a direct link back to itself, it's not formatted as a link but as boldface plain text. For example, if I put [[User talk:TheDJ]] just here, it shows as User talk:TheDJ and not as a link. Thus, if you use {{Nihongo}} on any page other than Japanese language, Hepburn romanization, or Help:Installing Japanese character sets (these being the three pages directly linked from Template:Nihongo), the links will display normally. --Redrose64 (talk) 18:32, 23 October 2012 (UTC)
Thanks Redrose64, for picking up that question. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 18:32, 23 October 2012 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Brilliant Idea Barnstar Hires.png The Brilliant Idea Barnstar
For creating Qui. I already gave you a pie, but I think you deserve a barnstar for this. Anonymouse321 (talkcontribs) 08:32, 24 October 2012 (

UTC)


Qui Use[edit]

Hey there, I am not sure how to start out using Qui. I dont have a /vector.js page, so I'm pretty lost as to what to do.LibertarianSupport 20:52, 24 October 2012 (UTC)

(talk page stalker) Hi, it's me Face-smile.svg. All you have to do is create a /vector.js file in your user space (User:Libertarianrule/vector.js) and paste the following code in:
importScript('User:TheDJ/qui.js');
Next, you have to completely bypass your cache. Finally, look at the top right of the page above the search box and a small gray dot should appear. Qui will be setup and ready to use!
The only reason why I know how is because I have Qui installed, and I use it pretty frequently. Maybe we could even be Qui friends! –– Anonymouse321 (talkcontribs) 01:11, 25 October 2012 (UTC)
How do I know it's working? RobloxPlayer1 (talk) 00:33, 14 January 2013 (UTC)
Check for the little gray dot at the top right corner of any page (File:Qui.JPG – see this image). The Anonymouse (talk | contribs) 17:23, 14 January 2013 (UTC)

I followed all the steps mentioned here. Still not able to see the gray dot, and my status is unknown. Should I add something at User:Jayakumar RG/Status? Please help! Jayakumar RG (talk) 04:12, 21 May 2014 (UTC)

Now being excluded from PDF print[edit]

CAn you teach me please?

Procedure for renaming a template[edit]

May I ask the procedure for renaming a template, please. Template:Web browser engines should really be Template:Layout engines, because it contains lists of layout engines. LittleBen (talk) 03:57, 3 November 2012 (UTC)

(talk page stalker) Templates can be renamed just like any other page by scrolling over the "down arrow" next to the search box and clicking Move (vector skin).
Anonymouse321 (talkcontribs) 04:19, 3 November 2012 (UTC)
What skin do you use? If you use Monobook or Modern (for example), there should be a move tab. Anonymouse321 (talkcontribs) 08:55, 3 November 2012 (UTC)
Also, to change your appearance skin, go to your preferences, select the Appearance tab, and choose a skin at the top. Anonymouse321 (talkcontribs) 08:56, 3 November 2012 (UTC)
  • I've been using MonoBook—presumably this used to be the default skin for a logged-in user—rather than the vector skin (the docs appear to say that non-logged-in users now get the vector skin). I was able to temporarily switch—as per the docs—and fix the template, and will try out the different skins. Thanks. LittleBen (talk) 09:13, 3 November 2012 (UTC)
Monobook was the default skin until May 2010, it was then changed to Vector. The technique for moving a template is exactly the same as for moving an article page (*), and is covered at WP:MOVE. The skin that you use does not affect whether you can move pages/templates/etc. or not, only the place where the link is situated. Monobook has a "move" tab; Vector normally has a "Move" item in the drop-down menu, although user scripts exist to convert this into a tab. If neither of these features is present, the page is probably move-protected. (*) Template pages often have sub-pages (article pages rarely do), usually for the documentation, sandbox and testcases; any sub-pages which do exist will also need to be moved. This need not be a wholly separate operation, because after moving the page you get a box like this but also containing an entry like "Please review the lists of subpages and talk subpages and consider moving them as well." Follow those two links, and carry out moves on non-italicised entries only (the italicised entries are redirects). --Redrose64 (talk) 11:17, 3 November 2012 (UTC)

User:TheDJ/sharetemplate[edit]

Google Buzz is no longer active , you might want to update the template :) Sfan00 IMG (talk) 18:20, 12 November 2012 (UTC)

Lobbying[edit]

Hi.

i think you are one of the technically savvy people in enwiki, and tend to participate in WP:VPT, so i approach you. you may not be the right person, or you may not be interested - that's understandable.

so here goes:
there are 3 different innovations that we started in hewiki and wanted to offer to enwiki. i posted about 2 of them in WP:VPT, but this did not go anywhere, even though the feedback was positive, so it seems i am doing something wrong in the way i lobby for these. one of these innovations is for editors, and can be incorporated as a gadget (it is in hewiki, excpt it's one of the "default" gadgets, so it's available to anons also). the other 2 are for readers, and hence they only make sense if included in common.js. the 3 are:

  • a tool to help with templates. in a nutshell, it does something similar to what the "templates" under the "Cite" toolbar does, except it does it for any template in the wiki, it is somewhat more capable (except of the 2-columns design, but this can be added). you can read about it here: Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)/Archive_103#Template_Parameter_Wizard.
  • a way to display chess games. you might want to test it here: he:משתמש:קיפודנחש/ארגח 1. the topic is currently in WP:VPT (search for "pgn"), and i expect it to be archived soon. there is also a bit about it in Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Chess#PGN Viewer).
  • a tool that makes an "imagemap" a little bit more interactive, by allowing for highlight of the selected areas, and by extracting the list of areas and displaying them below the image. this one has a limitation - it does not work for IE version 8 and below (i know that enwki does allow features that do not work for IE, such as displaying footnotes in columns). please see it in he:תבנית:מפת תמונה/דוגמאות. there is a collapsed "if you do not speak hebrew" on the page - you probably want to read it.

i would appreciate your advice of what is the correct way of lobbying for usage of these and similar things in enwiki.

Many thanks - קיפודנחש (talk) 17:19, 13 November 2012 (UTC)

You need to find someone who cares enough :( Unfortunately I myself tend to try and stay away from these kinds of tools. The core software and current state keeps me busy enough. We have a rather small set of admins that are capable and interested in this kind of stuff I have to say. It's part of en.wp's admin troubles. Hopefully if we have shared gadgets in the future, this kind of stuff will become a bit easier to do. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 18:25, 13 November 2012 (UTC)
thanks. Template:Shrug.... peace - קיפודנחש (talk) 18:38, 13 November 2012 (UTC)

JS review[edit]

Hi!

If you have the time, could you take a look at User talk:Jsimlo/shortcuts.js#Some updates?

Thanks! Helder 18:51, 16 November 2012 (UTC)

Google research template idea[edit]

Hi, I'm posting a couple of Google research template ideas here, because it seems that several helpful people who are templating pros watch this page—so even if you are swamped with more important stuff, someone else may help.

It would be useful to have templates for researching reliable sources on Google. Two types of searches that a template would help users with:

  • (1) For Lech Wałęsa, research the preferred spelling of his name on only English-language sites that we specify.
  • A template for the above would take one or two search terms, optionally a few negative match terms (see below), and a list of reputable English language sites to be searched (to research the preferred English-language spelling), and would generate either of the two search link formats (a) or (b) above (i.e. format (a) or (b) is specifiable).
  • (2) To research a soccer player Facundo Argüello (requires a complex search string with negative match terms in order to eliminate a flood of spurious results from his much more famous tennis namesake):
  • A template for the above would take one or two search terms, (optional) negative match terms, one or two language codes to exclude—here we exclude Spanish language sites (es.* as in Spanish Wikipedia), one or two wildcard-exclude sites—here the two players' home country Argentina (*.ar), and also exclude wikipedia.org and sites that cite wikipedia by name. Again we are researching majority usage in English.

LittleBen (talk) 05:00, 20 November 2012 (UTC)


For no. 1, check this out:
{{User:The Anonymouse/Template test|Lech Wałęsa}}
produces:
User:The Anonymouse/Template test
The Anonymouse (talkcontribs) 05:40, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
  • Fabulous. If you don't mind (please let me know if it's OK) I'll post this template here and attribute it to you, to show how simple it could make life. LittleBen (talk) 05:55, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
I don't mind, but since it was only a test, we can move it to a more appropriate name. I only did the simple version without all the options, but those probably wouldn't be that hard to add. The Anonymouse (talkcontribs) 06:00, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
  • That's ample for the present, to demonstrate how simple it is to use. If you prefer to rename it first before I refer to it in the article then that's fine with me. I have to go out for an hour or two. Many thanks. LittleBen (talk) 06:06, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
I can't think of a good name at the moment, but you or I could always rename it in the future. You're welcome! Face-smile.svg The Anonymouse (talkcontribs) 06:11, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
  • Hi—a couple of related questions, if you have the time:
  • Would it be easy to display the "external link" symbol after the above link?
  • For Björn Borg , the combination of a Wikilink and an external link, is there some easy way of making the "external link" symbol display after the link rather than before it? Very best regards and many thanks. LittleBen (talk) 22:27, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
  • Your sample of a basic "cookie cutter" template for (1) was incredibly useful and valuable for demonstrating that using complex search strings on Google for research need not be difficult and tiresome. Would it be difficult to do a basic demo for (2) as well, such as:
  • "François Mitterrand" -site:*.fr -site:fr.* -site:wikipedia.org -wikipedia
  • A basic template would quote the search string (name), and also take the two-character language code to exclude—here we exclude French language sites (fr.* as in French Wikipedia), the two-character country top-level domain code to exclude—here France (*.fr), and also exclude wikipedia.org and sites that cite wikipedia by name.
  • A template for this example would look something like {{User:The Anonymouse/Template test2|François Mitterrand|fr|fr}}  LittleBen (talk) 01:57, 22 November 2012 (UTC)
  • Just noticed that you're away on a well-deserved holiday, hope the weather is kind to you. Created the template myself at {{User:LittleBenW/Template test2|François Mitterrand|fr|fr}} LittleBen (talk) 02:50, 22 November 2012 (UTC)
I've been invited to comment here. Regarding the two questions directed to me (I think that they are the same two given above at 22:27, 20 November 2012): first, the external link icon is an automatic feature of the MediaWiki software. It's switched on by default for all external links, but may be modified or suppressed. It's modified when certain URLs are used, for example anything ending in .pdf (upper or lower case) has the icon altered to the PDF icon:
It may be suppressed by applying the "plainlinks" class:
but there is no means for adding it where it's not normally present. I see that {{User:The Anonymouse/Template test}} uses the {{plain link}} template, which is almost exactly the same as wrapping the link in <span class="plainlinks">...</span>, so all that should beed to be done is to remove that template, and replace one pipe with a space.
  • I tried to guess what you meant, and wrote a template here, but it seems that I would need to refer to a template in the Template: namespace for it to work??? TIA  LittleBen (talk) 15:17, 24 November 2012 (UTC)
Any page may be used as if it were a template, you just need to specify the full page name; for example, {{User:LittleBenW/Template test|Björn Borg}} → Sources for Björn Borg on Google. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:09, 24 November 2012 (UTC)
  • Nice to find that it works, but the Anonymouse version User:The Anonymouse/Template test doesn't display the curly brackets :-). Aha! Removing the curly brackets from my template page fixed it. Many thanks!  LittleBen (talk) 17:34, 24 November 2012 (UTC)
Secondly, it's not clear to me what you're trying to do with this construct:
Why would you want a combination of a Wikilink and an external link? If somebody clicks on this, do you want them to go to Björn Borg, or to here? Links have exactly one target, since a browser cannot retrieve two different pages and display them simultaneously; therefore, links can never be nested. --Redrose64 (talk) 10:48, 22 November 2012 (UTC)
  • Having them both together saves space and allows you to refer to the Wikipedia article by clicking on the link, or refer to the external link by clicking on the external link icon. It's just that the icon would look nicer on the right, where it normally is. TIA  LittleBen (talk) 15:17, 24 November 2012 (UTC)
Links must be distinct from one another (see Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Linking#General points on linking style, fifth bullet), and must be identifiable as links (see Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Accessibility#Links). I could put Bluetooth for example, which looks like one link but is in fact two, but that would contravene the Manual of Style. The external link icon identifies an external link; it cannot appear after an internal link like Björn Borg. --Redrose64 (talk) 16:09, 24 November 2012 (UTC)
  • One of the Admins claims that User namespace templates are not supposed to be used in Wikipedia talk page namespace, is that true? If it is true, then are special privileges/permissions required to put my two templates in Template namespace? My two templates are {{User:LittleBenW/Template_test}} and {{User:LittleBenW/Template_test2}}; the first searches reliable sources for a name, and the second searches outside of a specified language/country for a name. LittleBen (talk) 13:36, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
In general, userspace pages should not be transcluded to anywhere that is not also in user space. If all you are doing is demonstrating your ideas, it should be OK though, but for general use they should be in template space.
There is nothing to prevent you moving the page to template space either before or after your demonstration. Use the normal method for moving a page, but make sure that you select "Template" from the drop-down list following the "To new title" prompt. It would also be useful to add some documentation soon after moving the pages.
If you do move them to template space, and they then get little or no use, be prepared for a WP:TFD. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:54, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
  • I found that the {{Google RS}} idea also works with {{Yahoo RS}}; these search up to about 32 sites simultaneously. However, Bing won't accept more than one site using the site: protocol. The Bing API docs says that JSON and the like can be used; would one of these methods be feasible using templates (not sure if Javascript embedded in templates is feasible or permitted) or Lua? LittleBen (talk) 07:18, 26 March 2013 (UTC)

Making Wikipedia:Teahouse searchable[edit]

Hello again, I'm posting this here, because several helpful people who are scripting pros watch this page—so tho' you are probably swamped with more important stuff, someone else may help.

Wikipedia's advanced Special search allows one to search just part of Wikipedia, like Categories or Talk pages. I think it should be trivial for somebody with knowledge of MediaWiki programming to extend this so that a simple search box on the Teahouse top page searches just the Wikipedia:Teahouse Q&A archives, which are under Wikipedia:Teahouse/Questions. The user interface of the top page has been changed such that at present this past questions archive page is just about impossible to find from the top page of Wikipedia:Teahouse, and there is no easy way for a new user to find his or her past question, or to browse past questions.

I asked Okeyes who suggested asking Maryana, who suggested that this is "not something you have to wait for an engineer to work on"—"a volunteer could do if he or she wanted", "you could try copying and pasting the template markup at the bottom of the MilHist navbox, for instance, and changing the relevant bits to point to Teahouse".

PS: I've just noticed that it's even simple than that: There is already a search box at Wikipedia_talk:Teahouse that could be transplanted (less the "archives" links) to the top page. I'll post this suggestion back to Maryana and also to the talk page. LittleBen (talk) 20:29, 20 November 2012 (UTC)

Shortcuts script change[edit]

Hi, just realised that you have made this change to User:Jsimlo/shortcuts.js and was wondering if this may be the cause of the problem that I reported on the village pump Special:WhatLinksHere. Keith D (talk) 22:04, 21 November 2012 (UTC)

Secure.js[edit]

There is a thread on MediaWiki talk:Common.js#MediaWiki:Common.js/secure.js where your input is desired. Edokter (talk) — 14:23, 24 November 2012 (UTC)

File:US-GreatSeal-Obverse.svg[edit]

Hi, I see you speedied File:US-GreatSeal-Obverse.svg. That image was used in a couple dozen templates (see [6]) and its deletion impacted a couple thousand articles where those templates were used (see [7]). TJRC (talk) 22:30, 6 February 2013 (UTC)

I did a cache purge, and the redlinks I was seeing in the articles are now gone, replaced with the image from Commons. I assume this probably just affected a few users like me who had cached the English Wikipedia copy rather than the commons one. So... Never mind!
By the way, I see you're one of the developers on VLC media player. That's an awesome piece of software, and one I immediately install on every new system I get, right behind Firefox. Very nice work; thanks. TJRC (talk) 23:18, 6 February 2013 (UTC)

Userspace template help needed[edit]

Hello, I noticed you on a template talk page and was hoping you could help me with some issues I'm having with userspace templates. I want to add the Autopatrolled and Reviewer Icons to the top right hand side of my user page header and everytime I try, I either get only one or both of them overlapping each other. Your assistance on this matter would be much appreciated. Wiki ian 07:49, 11 March 2013 (UTC)

I seem to have fixed the issue. Wiki ian 16:34, 11 March 2013 (UTC)

174.74.76.81 (talk) 05:50, 12 March 2013 (UTC)[edit]

174.74.76.81 (talk) 05:50, 12 March 2013 (UTC)

Broke test pages in move[edit]

Hi TheDJ, just wanted to advise you that when you moved e.g. Module:IPAddress/tests to Module:IPAddress/testcases you broke the script at Module talk:IPAddress/testcases which invokes the tests. If you move any more please just fix this also. Thanks! Dcoetzee 17:44, 25 March 2013 (UTC)

Ah, I guess I missed one. Thx for the heads up. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 15:58, 26 March 2013 (UTC)

pdun[edit]

Can you contact me dj ? peterk 217.114.102.131 (talk) 11:33, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

Quick question for ya[edit]

I was wondering if qui was going to be compatible with Chrome/Chromium browsers in the future. Thanks, — -dainomite   22:09, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

It was developed on Safari, so probably works on Chrome. I haven't used it for a while myself. If it isn't working, then please let me know DainomiteTheDJ (talkcontribs) 22:17, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
Shucks, yeah, I use SRWare Iron which is chromium based and this is what the top right of my WP looks like right now, link. Hrmm. — -dainomite   22:23, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

.plainlinks2 CSS Class[edit]

A couple of years back, you moved some code from the monobook.css to the common.css, but it looks like .plainlinks2 got lost in the transition. monobook diff to common diff

Was this intentional? If not, could you reintroduce it, as it would be useful for {{noping}}

Thanks, 930913(Congratulate) 02:49, 12 May 2013 (UTC)

Hi, A930913, this might have been accidental. However, since no one even noticed in years, I would not support bringing it back, instead I suggest you open a discussion about turning ALL plainlinks links into faking their internal link color, instead of reintroducing this class. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 14:38, 12 May 2013 (UTC)

Thank you, Sir.[edit]

For the adding of the translations.  Ę-oиė  >>>  ™ 11:07, 14 May 2013 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Vitruvian Barnstar Hires.png The Technical Barnstar
Awesome working with you on UW :) Nischay Nahata (talk) 20:41, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
@Nischay22: thank you too, working on something with 1 person is almost impossible these days, so thanks for sparring. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 07:50, 22 May 2013 (UTC)

Hoi[edit]

Bent u geïnteresseerd? - MediaWiki_talk:Common.js#MediaWiki:Common.js.2Fsecure_new.js πr2 (tc) 03:47, 16 June 2013 (UTC)

DJ!![edit]

Awesome to see so many wonderful names, and find you still here! Thank you for the note, I hope life is treating you well! ArielGold 20:30, 17 June 2013 (UTC)

Orphaned non-free media (File:Songs From the Heart - George Jones.jpg)[edit]

Ambox warning blue.svg Thanks for uploading File:Songs From the Heart - George Jones.jpg. The media description page currently specifies that it is non-free and may only be used on Wikipedia under a claim of fair use. However, it is currently orphaned, meaning that it is not used in any articles on Wikipedia. If the media was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that will be useful. However, please note that media for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on Wikipedia (see our policy for non-free media).

If you have uploaded other unlicensed media, please check whether they're used in any articles or not. You can find a list of 'file' pages you have edited by clicking on the "my contributions" link (it is located at the very top of any Wikipedia page when you are logged in), and then selecting "File" from the dropdown box. Note that all non-free media not used in any articles will be deleted after seven days, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. Thank you. Hazard-Bot (talk) 04:11, 23 June 2013 (UTC)

mathJax[edit]

Just in case you missed it: [8]. Cheers, Nageh (talk) 15:38, 26 June 2013 (UTC)

edittop.js: VisualEditor[edit]

Hello TheDJ, forwarding the following to you as the changes to add VisualEditor means there is an inconsistency between section=0 edit links and the remaining section=* links.

Hope it helps and thank you for maintaining edittop.js! —Sladen (talk) 10:49, 3 July 2013 (UTC)

@Sladen: not sure when I'll be able to get around to this, but thanks for reminding me. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 12:13, 3 July 2013 (UTC)
Perhaps a good opportunity to rewite it using jQuery. Edokter (talk) — 19:57, 3 July 2013 (UTC)

Help[edit]

I read your comment about script errors in Firefox. Do you have any suggestion? How to fix it? Is using another web browser helpful? Zyma (talk) 16:57, 8 July 2013 (UTC)

Thanks man[edit]

Thanks for logging the comment in the bug report. I realize I was testy and you just logged it. Thanks.TCO (talk) 17:35, 11 July 2013 (UTC)

Courtesy notification[edit]

I have made a proposal at Wikipedia:Village pump (proposals)#Fork the wiki in which I used diffs authored by you as examples. Yngvadottir (talk) 20:48, 17 July 2013 (UTC)

Template:TOC bottom[edit]

please remove the newline after the final div, it is adding extra space in several articles. Frietjes (talk) 21:23, 19 July 2013 (UTC)

@Frietjes: Done, thank you for paying attention. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 21:25, 19 July 2013 (UTC)

Hello mate[edit]

testing — Preceding unsigned comment added by TheDJ alt (talkcontribs) 14:22, 31 July 2013 (UTC)

Re: role button[edit]

Hey, unfortunately, table 3 reads out like the worst-case scenario that you outlined. I'm not sure what you mean by the second example being keyboard-accessible, but I think most tables are anyway in good screen readers these days because they put webpages in a virtual buffer. Graham87 00:35, 6 August 2013 (UTC)

JAWS does map all clickhandlers to the enter key by default, so I can get to the alert on table 1 by pressing enter; I can also get to both of the other ones. You might find this Word document about JAWS support for ARIA interesting. I'll be leaving for Wikimania tomorrow, so I might be slow to respond from then on; if you're coming too, it would be good to meet you there and perhaps hash a few of these things out in person. Graham87 09:47, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
Yes, the header In table 3 now reads correctly. Graham87 12:03, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
Wow, that is very good news. Thanks a ton ! —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 12:45, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
Cool, thanks, sounds good! It all works fine. Graham87 13:29, 12 August 2013 (UTC)

Jumping accessibility[edit]

Re: Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Accessibility#Accessibility_of_references, I shall resist the urge to add "jump up jump up and get down"[9] to the list. That is all. :) –Quiddity (talk) 18:26, 18 August 2013 (UTC)

IPA font[edit]

Hi,

You were involved in discussions about fonts in Common.css and Common.js in the past. Things have changed now and we have web fonts. Can you please take a look at MediaWiki talk:Common.css#IPA font?

Thanks! --Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 21:05, 26 August 2013 (UTC)

ToC Formatting[edit]

Hi! I saw you post on GoldRingChip's talk page and was wondering if you can help with a template I'm trying to use for the article Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act but don't know what to add to stop the sub-ToC showing up in the primary ToC (similar to the problem I described for the 111th Congress but this template is single use)? Thanks! — Preceding unsigned comment added by Sb101 (talkcontribs) 14:47, 29 August 2013 (UTC)

@Sb101:, The toc itself is already not showing up. I think that what you want, is that the headers you are including in the secondary toc, don't show up in the primary Toc. There is no simple way to do this. I need to go now, but i'll have a second look when I get home. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 14:57, 29 August 2013 (UTC)
Yea, you've got what I was trying to do. Like I said, I got the idea from the secondary ToC's in e.g. 111th Congress, so I thought I'd ask how to replicate that, just in case. Either way, thanks for the reply. =) Sb101 (talk|contribs) 14:09, 30 August 2013 (UTC)

FYI[edit]

I think you mistakenly responded in the wrong section at Wikipedia:Help_desk#August_page_views_just_got_deleted_for_all_of_WP.--TonyTheTiger (T / C / WP:FOUR / WP:CHICAGO / WP:WAWARD) 16:32, 19 September 2013 (UTC)

Invitation to Comment[edit]

Hello! I am contacting you because although we've likely never Wikied together, I did mention you in a proposal at Template talk:Infobox Television and I wanted to invite you to express your thoughts. Thanks! Cyphoidbomb (talk) 02:35, 1 October 2013 (UTC)

make message[edit]

talk thed serves Nurhusien — Preceding unsigned comment added by 213.55.73.43 (talk) 00:05, 27 October 2013 (UTC)

  • Well, that usually goes without saying, but now that you've said it, it does make me stop and think. Of what I am as of yet unsure. --64.85.216.235 (talk) 04:34, 4 November 2013 (UTC)

Template talk:TOC US states[edit]

Hello, TheDJ! You've a new message at the above talk page. I'm not overly expert on the edit in question, but it did break some uses of the template, so I undid it. FYI. Rgrds. (Dynamic IP, will change when I log off.) --64.85.216.235 (talk) 04:30, 4 November 2013 (UTC)

Date sortable[edit]

Hello. I think this broke a template. The discussion is here - WT:VG#Template:Vgrelease new « Ryūkotsusei » 22:45, 1 December 2013 (UTC)

Sortname[edit]

Your change to this template messed up filmographies using the template. It added extra titles and extra "the"s, e.g., Tom Hanks filmography. After I reverted your change, the problem disappeared. I have no idea how it affected other uses of the template.--Bbb23 (talk) 22:56, 1 December 2013 (UTC)

This was caused by the usage of italics. Thanks for informing me. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 23:00, 1 December 2013 (UTC)

Help:Sorting message[edit]

Embedded in Help:Sorting, there's a signed message from you saying that you intend to change a class name in the next few weeks, but it was left in July. Can you please update this, and if it's still necessary, make it third person so we can remove the signature. Thanks! (Update: I've removed it; if you make any changes, you can always put a note back in.) RobinHood70 talk 04:44, 4 December 2013 (UTC); edited: 19:36, 11 December 2013 (UTC)

Your edit to the Sort template broke it. See here for example. Please revert it, ok? Good luck! --NaBUru38 (talk) 20:20, 10 December 2013 (UTC)
Oh my. This template should never have been in use outside of a table. That's what we get for letting bad code be out in the wild for so long. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 23:56, 11 December 2013 (UTC)

WP Television in the Signpost[edit]

The WikiProject Report would like to focus on WikiProject Television for a Signpost article. This is an excellent opportunity to draw attention to your efforts and attract new members to the project. Would you be willing to participate in an interview? If so, here are the questions for the interview. Just add your response below each question and feel free to skip any questions that you don't feel comfortable answering. Multiple editors will have an opportunity to respond to the interview questions, so be sure to sign your answers. If you know anyone else who would like to participate in the interview, please share this with them. Have a great day. –Mabeenot (talk) 00:58, 29 December 2013 (UTC)

Template protection RFC[edit]

Hi,

Based on discussion I was currently having with others, I switched this RFC to the suggested alternate (as previously mentioned in the discussion). Please check it now. TheOriginalSoni (talk) 20:58, 29 December 2013 (UTC)

Massmessage sender[edit]

Hi, thanks for taking care of the new user group :)

The Interior didn't need the right [10], as all admins can automatically send mass messages.

Additionally, I don't really foresee a need to have access any more, so if you'd remove me from the group, that'd be great. Happy New Year! Theopolisme (talk) 18:55, 31 December 2013 (UTC)

You seem to have missed me on the list. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 19:29, 1 January 2014 (UTC)
@Whatamidoing (WMF): it seems so. corrected. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 23:40, 1 January 2014 (UTC)

MediaWiki:Common.js[edit]

Sorry but I have just noticed that you wrote the code on the page MediaWiki:Common.js. Am I right in thinking that it is the code on that page, coupled with the code on the MediaWiki:Common.css page that causes 'Show' and 'Hide' boxes to be used across Wikipedia? I am trying to get this function to work on one of the specific Wiki sites that I use (I also contribute towards Wikipedia), but am having difficulty. I previously just copied your source code here, but I presume I now just have to copy the Common.css one too? And then everything will be working...?! A point in the right direction would be much appreciated. Dank u, met vriendelijke groet, Poiuytre (talk) 02:06, 22 January 2014 (UTC).

Trick With Qui[edit]

Hey TheDJ, Try importing this on to your Page! I'm {{User:TheDJ/Status}} At The Moment!

Some JS related help[edit]

Hi,

I have been trying to get this script implemented which would display our chess games in a better fashion that which we currently have. Kipod has already got a script working in the testwiki, the documentation of which can be found at Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Chess#Pgnviewer_demo. Do you have time to and could you please check the script out so we can know what needs to be changed and what should be done before it can be suited to become a gadget? IF you can suggest anyone who can help, it will be great too.

Thanks TheOriginalSoni (talk) 07:02, 6 February 2014 (UTC)

(butting in: please see the demo here). test it with JS enabled and disabled. peace - קיפודנחש (aka kipod) (talk) 14:23, 6 February 2014 (UTC)

File:Java source2.png listed for deletion[edit]

A file that you uploaded or altered, File:Java source2.png, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for deletion. Please see the discussion to see why it has been listed (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry). Feel free to add your opinion on the matter below the nomination. Thank you. Calliopejen1 (talk) 17:08, 28 February 2014 (UTC)

Gadget for disabling suggestions[edit]

I'm sure you remember taking part in the Village pump discussion about AJAX suggestions being forced upon users. I have not made any posts to it since 2013 because I read that WMF would not object to a suggestion-disabling gadget.

My gadget proposal has been sitting in the Gadget and Userscript pages for quite some time. Two other admins from the discussion (User:Fuhghettaboutit and User:Redrose64) have looked at it but they do not review gadgets. As far as I know, you're one of the few admins who does this.

The code is simple but very useful. Please tell me your thoughts. Connor Behan (talk) 01:20, 1 March 2014 (UTC)

@Connor Behan: made some corrections, moved the script and added the description. All done. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 11:28, 1 March 2014 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Village pump (idea lab)/Archive 13#Section editing reflinks idea[edit]

You are invited to join the discussion at Wikipedia:Village pump (idea lab)/Archive 13#Section editing reflinks idea. This is an idea that I think may interest you and would love to hear your feedback on. Thanks! — {{U|Technical 13}} (tec) 16:11, 1 March 2014 (UTC)

An RfC that you may be interested in...[edit]

As one of the previous contributors to {{Infobox film}} or as one of the commenters on it's talk page, I would like to inform you that there has been a RfC started on the talk page as to implementation of previously deprecated parameters. Your comments and thoughts on the matter would be welcomed. Happy editing!

This message was sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) on behalf of {{U|Technical 13}} (tec) 18:27, 8 March 2014 (UTC)

Guided tours[edit]

Here is a guide to writing on-wiki tours. :) You can also see some examples by trolling through the MediaWiki namespace, looking for everything prefixed with "MediaWiki:Guidedtour-tour...". Steven Walling (WMF) • talk 23:33, 3 April 2014 (UTC)

usebetatoolbar vs. showtoolbar[edit]

Hi Derk-Jan,

just a quick question: are you sure about this edit?
Until now I thought "usebetatoolbar" (labeled "Enable enhanced editing toolbar" in preferences) activates the WikiEditor regardless of whether "showtoolbar" (labeled "Show edit toolbar (requires JavaScript)" in preferences) is set or not. Even if this seems a little redundant it's what I get (e.g. I have "showtoolbar" disabled). If this is always true I assume "showtoolbar" is not a requirement to get WikiEdtitor and your edit should be undone?

Regards, --Patrick87 (talk) 21:37, 8 April 2014 (UTC)

Template:Columns[edit]

Hi TheDJ,

I too have been wondering about this template, so am curious to know which (if any) of the many others you'd recommend...? Sardanaphalus (talk) 11:07, 10 April 2014 (UTC)

Print options gadget[edit]

Hi TheDJ, great gadget, but could you add option to hide table of contents (TOC)? --Rezonansowy (talkcontribs) 13:25, 11 January 2014 (UTC)

@TheDJ:? --Rezonansowy (talk | contribs) 08:30, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
@Rezonansowy: this is implemented now. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 13:37, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
Thanks! --Rezonansowy (talk | contribs) 14:32, 13 May 2014 (UTC)

Motto of the Day Help Request April 2014[edit]

Today's motto...

— That's Edinburgh Castle, Albert.
— Is it? What did they put it up there for?


Nominate one today!

Motto of the Day (WP:MOTD) is in a state of emergency and really needs your help! There are not enough editors who are reviewing or nominating mottos at Wikipedia:Motto of the day/Nominations/In review, and this probably means that you will notice a red link or “This space for rent” as our mottos for the next weeks and months.

Please take a moment to review the nominations and nominate your own new mottos at Wikipedia:Motto of the day/Nominations/In review and Wikipedia:Motto of the day/Nominations/'Specials. Any help would be appreciated! MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 09:13, 29 April 2014 (UTC)

This message has been sent by pjoef on behalf of Motto of the Day to all editors of the English Wikipedia who are showing MOTD's templates on their pages, and to all the participants to MOTD: (page, template, and category).

Code editor[edit]

Hi,

it appears that this change in CodeEditor is now live at the Commons. At least the code editor has disappeared for me. Reading bugzilla:45850 I get the impression that this is actually what you intended: people who don't use the "enhanced editing toolbar" can't use CodeEditor either.

What nonsense is this? I have been happily using CodeEditor, yet never felt the need to have more than a plain textarea for editing articles. I don't want to use an "enhanced editing toolbar" for normal article editing, but I do want to use the CodeEditor on JavaScript pages. (If only because allows me to insert tabs. The warnings are also nice. Never used that toolbar in the CodeEditor either.)

Please either have this undone, or add an additional setting in the Special:Preferences UI so that I can leave "enhanced toolbar" disabled, but have the code editor enabled all the same. Lupo 14:02, 14 May 2014 (UTC)

@Lupo: I'm not wanting to add an option to be used by 0.001 percent of the users to the preferences. The CodeEditor is dependent on wikiEditor for it's (still to be merged) toolbar. People who have wikieditor disabled were complaining about still getting code editor. People with code editor disabled were complaining about still getting wikieditor on JS pages. If you have any better ideas on how to achieve all those goals, please share them. I do not consider this to be a final solution, but it probably will stay like this for a while until we can figure out a more elaborate multi editor configuration I think. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 07:11, 15 May 2014 (UTC)
Well, as I wrote above, a way for the user to set that usecodeeditor preference in Special:Preferences would do the trick. In fact, I just set that preference for me by making the api call in the web console of Firefox, and now I can re-enable the codeeditor by loading it explicitly. See [11]. With the preference bit in the DB set, and "enhanced editing toolbar" disabled in my preferences, that does give me the code editor back (and it leaves the normal article editing a plain textarea). Now, it would just be good if I could control the preference through Special:Preferences, and wouldn't have to load teh editor myself. Lupo 12:29, 15 May 2014 (UTC)

Improper behavior[edit]

TheDJ, I was speaking with Spinningspark about the inline audio being used in the morse code page on the village pump and you entered the discussion for no other reason than to make an ad hom about my signature. That was disruptive, if you have problem with my signature drop a note off on my page, or if you really feel strongly about it, put a note on ANI, but don't disrupt a discussion on something else to do that. Yes, your text is still there, I didn't remove it or archive it in any fashion, I'm hoping you'll do that on your own. Thanks KoshVorlon   Angeli i demoni kruzhili nado mnoj 18:25, 14 May 2014 (UTC)

Saying that he doesn't share your aesthetic taste is not generally considered an ad hominem argument. In fact, it's not any kind of argument: it's a statement of personal preference. WhatamIdoing (talk) 19:11, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
"Ad Hom" is defined by Wikipedia as An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.[2] Fallacious Ad hominem reasoning is normally categorized as an informal fallacy,[3][4][5] more precisely as a genetic fallacy,[6] a subcategory of fallacies of irrelevance.[7] Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact. TheDJ entered a discussion about the listen template to make some irrelevant mention of my signature, giving the appearance that he was rejecting my effort to improve the encyclopedia, thus, it fits the definition from what I can see. KoshVorlon   Angeli i demoni kruzhili nado mnoj 19:20, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
I don't think so. An irrelevant remark is not a "claim" or "argument" about the topic under discussion, so it doesn't meet that definition.
More relevantly, TheDJ did not give people the impression that there was anything wrong with your request. When someone explicitly says that he didn't even read the content, nobody is going to infer from this that there is anything wrong with the substance. The exchange was more like, "I have identified a technical limitation in the software" followed by someone randomly saying, "I haven't been listening, but that car needs to be washed". Normal people do not interpret this kind of irrelevant remark as saying anything, positive, negative, or neutral, about the technical problem. WhatamIdoing (talk) 21:24, 14 May 2014 (UTC)
My point was that I failed (and still fail) to participate in a certain discussion, because some folks screw with the readability of pages. I actually find that HIGHLY offensive. Because I want to participate, but in cases like these my eyes just glaze over in annoyance. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 07:03, 15 May 2014 (UTC)

The Nerd has responded[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, TheDJ. You have new messages at Supernerd11's talk page.
Message added 12:07, 15 May 2014 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Supernerd11 Firemind ^_^ Pokedex 12:07, 15 May 2014 (UTC)

Error in User:TheDJ/sharebox.js header[edit]

I just randomly clicked the link to your userscript, and I noticed that your header's suggestion to import the script is missing a quote. It currently says importScript( 'User:TheDJ/sharebox.js );, which is missing a closing quote.Joeytje50 (talk) 20:34, 27 May 2014 (UTC)

@Joeytje50: thank you for the notice, I have corrected the statement. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 20:37, 27 May 2014 (UTC)

Request for comment[edit]

Hello there, a proposal regarding pre-adminship review has been raised at Village pump by Anna Frodesiak. Your comments here is very much appreciated. Many thanks. Jim Carter through MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:47, 28 May 2014 (UTC)

Compact Personal Bar[edit]

Hi DJ, were you interested in contributing to Compact Personal Bar? you'd said you were interested in working specifically on the accessibility parts, but I wanted to invite you to take a look at the tasks for the V2 release in case there were other items you had any interest in working on as well. https://trello.com/c/GTZ3I62z/5-compact-personal-bar feel free to reply here or email me if you're interested in tackling something. Jared Zimmerman (talk) 23:57, 2 June 2014 (UTC)

Thank you![edit]

Dear TheDJ: Thank you so much for all your invaluable comments on the Media Viewer discussion page. We also greatly appreciate your helpful bug reports, which we have added to our next development cycle. Given your interest in this project, you might also like to share your observations in this RfC, which just started a few hours ago. Thanks again for your many insights throughout product development: they have been incredibly useful to us. I am deeply grateful for your contributions! Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 10:09, 7 June 2014 (UTC)

Orphaned non-free image File:CharlotteCheckers.PNG[edit]

⚠

Thanks for uploading File:CharlotteCheckers.PNG. The image description page currently specifies that the image is non-free and may only be used on Wikipedia under a claim of fair use. However, the image is currently not used in any articles on Wikipedia. If the image was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that that will be useful. However, please note that images for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on Wikipedia (see our policy for non-free media).

Note that any non-free images not used in any articles will be deleted after seven days, as described in the criteria for speedy deletion. Thank you. Malpass93! (what I've been up to/drop me a ___) 21:23, 21 June 2014 (UTC)

Print options.js[edit]

Messing around on the page User:TheDJ/Print options I noticed you wrote the "Hide Interface Elements" option was temporarily unavailable, waiting resolution of bug 25886http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25886.

Just wanted to let you know that the bug appears to be fixed now; not sure if you knew or not. meteor_sandwich_yum (talk) 02:41, 24 June 2014 (UTC)

I know, but the browser vendors decided to implement it stricter than that and now even with the bug fixed, it still doesn't work :( Tx for the message though. —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 05:35, 24 June 2014 (UTC)

Geohack on mobile[edit]

TheDJ, Unsure if you're actively working on Geohack integration on mobile, but things are seeming a bit stale at the moment, would you be opposed to removing the icon/access from the mobile frontend (including alpha and beta) since the target pages are not mobile formatted, and at this point in time pretty unusable on mobile at all? The Mobile team will be spinning up a sub-team on mapping and geolocation in the coming fiscal year (~3-4 months from now) and a better mapping on mobile experience is one of their top priorities. I'm sure they'd love your help if you have interest as well. Jared Zimmerman (talk) 18:21, 24 June 2014 (UTC)

Link[edit]

Hi, not sure if you had seen this question. That's it :) --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 09:12, 7 July 2014 (UTC)

RE: Icons for Code Editor[edit]

Hey TheDJ, I wanted to give my apologies for not getting this finished sooner. That is solely the fault of myself, and I apologize profusely. I've got the code editor icons mostly done, but I need to work on them a bit longer to make sure they're visible at very small resolutions. I was wondering if you wanted anything more than the icons mentioned on the Trello board, and if the 22px limitation was still relevant?

In case you'd forgotten about this, the Trello card is linked here.

Again, my sincerest apologies. I didn't plan to take nearly this long, but I'm not particularly experienced in working at such small resolutions, and have had to essentially start over when redesigning the icons to adhere to the style of other Wikimedia iconography. --Nicereddy (talk) 19:29, 15 July 2014 (UTC)

@Nicereddy: No problem, I myself have also been a bit busy, otherwise I would have pinged more often. I would like to have it finished before Wikimania, but we will have to see. :) —TheDJ (talkcontribs) 08:51, 16 July 2014 (UTC)