User talk:Walkerma

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Shortcut:

This is Martin Walker's discussion page. Archives

Archive1Archive2Archive3Archive4Archive5Archive6Archive7Archive8Archive9Archive10Archive11Archive12Archive13Archive14Archive15Archive16Archive17Archive18Archive19Archive20

/Archive21 (Jun-Aug 2008). C-Class vote aftermath, , 1.0 (helping, version selection, 0.7 planning, etc), Dispatch, OLPC, Chemistry on Freebase, WP1.0 Bot new version, Hydrochloric acid FAR.

/Archive22 (Sep-Oct 2008). Version 0.7 consultation with WikiProjects, CAS file review.

/Archive23 (Nov 2008-Feb 2009). Article assessment developments, Organofluorine chemistry and PFOA, Version 0.7 odds & ends, IsisDraw, WPChem worklist, some assessments, Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards.

/Archive24 (Mar 2009-Jul 2009) A-Class discussion, core contest awards, the new 1.0 bot and V0.8, assessment consistency, cerium(III) chloride, boron, WP:Chemistry in the Signpost, Wikipedian of the Day.

Discussion

Centralized discussion
Proposals Discussions Recurring proposals

Note: inactive discussions, closed or not, should be archived.

Contents

Are you so busy?[edit]

I'm see about the new Version 0.7 - which stated should FINALLY be published soon... When the exact date it published? Is there anything that I can help? Ivan Akira (talk) 00:17, 22 August 2009 (UTC)

Good to hear from you. Actually, this is the one point where I can sit back and let others do the work! The publisher is currently converting the file over to their format, recompiling a keyword set for searches, and integrating the content with the reader software. They told me should have a release ready today, but I haven't heard anything yet. They assured me it would be ready for Wikimania, which starts on Wednesday. I would see this as a beta version, but we will very quickly move to publish this; since Version 0.7 is a test version anyway, it's understood that it won't be perfect.
Regarding help, it would be GREAT if you could help us with Version 0.8, which will probably start immediately after 0.7, though we will need to tag the 0.7 articles first. Can you let me know if you have template, bot or scriptwriting skills? (I can't do any of those!) Even if you're just a simple editor like me, there are various things you could help with, such as helping the assessment system, contacting WikiProjects or 1.0 editors, helping in brainstorming sessions, checking over lists of possible vandalism, things out new scripts, etc. Please let me know where your interests lie. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 19:11, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
I just added a diagram showing the process, see here. Walkerma (talk) 19:54, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
Nah... maybe I'm just stay as a simple Wikipedia editor... I'm prefer to check the article for vandalism or expands it or fixes it. I'm also looking forward to make a template or bot, but sadly I'm can't do it. I'm just don't know how to do those on wikipedia. Anywho, I'm looking forward to download version 0.7 if it possible. And I'm willing to help for version 0.8, please let me know the detail about the future version which can I help. Ivan Akira (talk) 03:58, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
Thanks! I can't do the fancy stuff either - but much of the work can be pretty basic. I'll know more after I get back from Wikimania - I'll keep you posted. Walkerma (talk) 04:01, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
Okay, I'm looking forward to it! Ivan Akira (talk) 04:11, 23 August 2009 (UTC)

Discussion and poll on reviewer usergroup criteria[edit]

You may be interested in a discussion and poll I've started to decide the criteria that will be used for promoting users to the reviewer group at Wikipedia talk:Reviewers#New discussion and poll: reviewer criteria - please put your comments there. AndrewRT(Talk) 17:56, 27 August 2009 (UTC)

Thanks - I'd like to. I'm at Wikimania right now, and internet is very limited for me, but I'll jump right in when I get back on Sunday. I'll try before then if able. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 02:29, 28 August 2009 (UTC)

post-Wikimania[edit]

Hi Martin,

It was great to meet you at Wikimania, I hope we can meet at future events too. I wrote a bit about your session. Let me know when you publish your slides anywhere. And it occurred to me: if you ever want to send me guest posts, I would be delighted to publish them :)

cheers, pfctdayelise (talk) 15:22, 2 September 2009 (UTC)

index[edit]

I had contacted Emmanuel earlier this month, to ask for an updated list of any errors in the index, which I will try to fix. I believe he was on vacation until very recently, though. This week, I'm traveling until Wednesday. I will contact Emmanuel when I get back, to see if we can move forward. I will also respond to the WP 1.0 bot issue when I return. — Carl (CBM · talk) 11:47, 28 September 2009 (UTC)

Emmanuel sent me a list of broken links in the index; I will see about removing them from the index pages. It occurred to me you might be trying to contact me by email at my previous email address. I am in the process of closing that account; please use cbm.wikipedia at gmail.com for Wikipedia-related correspondence. Thanks, — Carl (CBM · talk) 04:49, 30 September 2009 (UTC)
Thanks, I was using your old email address! Thank you also for fixing the index - that's been a headache for a while now. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 06:23, 30 September 2009 (UTC)

Next indexing run - full list[edit]

Hi Martin. I have finished my first run of the compounds in drug and chemboxes, we now have about a third of the boxes in the index, and those should have correct CASNo's:

Now the next step.

I have rewritten the parsing, it is now creating off-wiki files for me, one containing a list of <pagename> vs <CASNo> which you can use to send to CAS (those you can find in my userspace on wikichem.org; list1 and list2), I will update them regularly).

The other part is here on wiki: User:Beetstra/listing1 - User:Beetstra/listing21 (for a full list, see User:Beetstra/Validation). Those are files of 500 pages each, with a lot of data where the bot tries to check CASNo's, or tries to find the CASNo's using other searches on commonchemistry. I will update those pages as they come available (number 1 should almost be ready; when there are ~21 then also the lists on wikichem will be complete).

Those files are .. problematic, there are some good ones, but most of them really need significant attention to see what we have to do with them. I think that many will not be available on commonchemistry. Can you coordinate how to work through these files? --Dirk Beetstra T C 11:57, 5 October 2009 (UTC)

PediaPress[edit]

Hi Martin... it's been a while!

Well, I'd love to, but I happen to have class right at that time (ah, grad school...). But what would be the framework? Essentially the same as generating books and saving them on a user page, for them to be later generated by their software? Titoxd(?!? - cool stuff) 06:50, 8 October 2009 (UTC)

Okawix license status[edit]

Hi Martin. A recent edit by you about the license and source code status of Okawix[1] was pointed out to me. Apparently you think that Okawix does not have a free license. Please be aware that it *does* have a free license (GPL)[2]. The source code is also freely available[3]. A company supporting it and providing added services is just great, I think. We also support the localisation of the Okawiki application at translatewiki.net. I have some idea where the FUD came from, and I regret that you have been misinformed. Cheers! Siebrand (talk) 22:21, 8 October 2009 (UTC)

Thanks for this information, I've tried to make amends/corrections for my mistake wherever I can. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 04:57, 9 October 2009 (UTC)
Might want to point people towards the client that runs the file for beta testing as well. (Found it anyways, playing with it now)... JoeSmack Talk 07:24, 9 October 2009 (UTC)
Initial impressions: How do I load the file from the app? I ended up dragging the corpus file over the app to get rolling. Loading time for the file was substantial (it's a big file, I know). Just icons as an interface makes it a little hard to get oriented. No menu bar at all? My second query was boyishly the term 'poop', which gave no results for 'feces' (closest was 'buttocks'). I guess that article didn't make the 0.7 cut, school kids using this around the world are going to be disappointed. Clicking on cite-footnotes sometimes leads to the ref section, sometimes not. The history only tracks search query history and not clicking-around history as I might expect. Images/infoboxes/etc all look pretty sweet. Over all much better than the 0.5 offline reader thus far. I'll put more eyeballs on this thing tomorrow, for now I sleep. Night! (if this feedback belongs somewhere else feel free to move it). JoeSmack Talk 07:53, 9 October 2009 (UTC)
Does the client try to install a Firefox addon called 'Linkiwix'? I received a warning when trying to start up my browser after installing it...similar name... JoeSmack Talk 05:28, 10 October 2009 (UTC)
I didn't get anything like that on my PC, but I'll ask about that. I'll send the feedback to Linterweb. I'm away at a conference at the moment (hence my sporadic replies) but I'll be getting home tomorrow night. Thanks A LOT for these really helpful comments! Walkerma (talk) 14:42, 10 October 2009 (UTC)

Re: Beta test of Version 0.7?[edit]

Oh thanks Martin... I'm looking forward to download it. Don't worry, I'm using broadband connection. I will test the 0.7 right after I download it! I will report if there are any bug too. Thanks to prompt me, I really appreciate it. Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to the preparation for 0.8 too... Ivan Akira (talk) 07:49, 9 October 2009 (UTC)

Progress on validation[edit]

Hi Martin. ChemSpiderMan sent me a list with ChemSpiderIDs, and I am running a script on that now. The lists that I made (under User:Beetstra/Validation) were with the new system becoming too big, so I split them further. There will now be about 42 files, each with sections of 50 compounds. That should make it a bit easier to handle. The script is now running, I will be updating the first one this evening, and then go to bed. Will upload some more files tomorrow.

These are all unverified pages (so, they don't have a revid in the index yet). Some are pretty easy, others need some work. I would suggest that you do them section-by-section. When I do a next run the ones that have been indexed will be removed from my files, and when I upload the files they will also be removed from the lists.

I will see what I can do about the ChemSpiderIDs of the pages for which we already verified the CASNo. The uploaded pages now give the correct one ChemSpiderID, so if you encounter them it is certainly worth it to add them to the pages.

I'll leave it up to you to coordinate how to handle these files. --Dirk Beetstra T C 22:02, 15 October 2009 (UTC)


Speedy deletion of Template:Chembox simple inorganic[edit]

A tag has been placed on Template:Chembox simple inorganic requesting that it be speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done under section T3 of the criteria for speedy deletion, because it is a deprecated or orphaned template. After seven days, if it is still unused and the speedy deletion tag has not been removed, the template will be deleted.

If the template is intended to be substituted, please feel free to remove the speedy deletion tag and please consider putting a note on the template's page indicating that it is substituted so as to avoid any future mistakes (<noinclude>{{transclusionless}}</noinclude>).

Thanks. RL0919 (talk) 20:11, 16 October 2009 (UTC)

Comments subpages (Village pump discussion)[edit]

I was following a discussion at one of the village pumps about the comments subpages used by some articles, and having a vague memory that WP:WP 1.0 started them, I went looking for the old discussions that started them and found these: 1, 2, 3 (May to July 2006). You were one of the five main participants at those discussions, so I'm notifying all five of you so that some input from when this all started can be obtained for the current discussion, as I'm not sure the full picture is being presented there so far. I'll leave a note at the Village Pump discussion saying who I notified. I also left a note at the WP:WP 1.0 talk page, but not sure how much you each follow that page now, hence the user talk page note. Carcharoth (talk) 19:10, 20 October 2009 (UTC)

New ZIM file by User:Kelson...[edit]

Martin, sorry to disturb you, but you said that Kelson is making the new ZIM file, where is the location of that file? Does it also reside at this URL? Ivan Akira (talk) 13:34, 23 October 2009 (UTC)

It will eventually, but it will take a few days - Kelson has to finish making it, and then Linterweb have to download it and process it after that. It used to be all done on one server, but alas no more! Walkerma (talk) 20:49, 23 October 2009 (UTC)

Book-Class[edit]

As mentioned in the IRC session, I've created the book-class (which is almost fully implement on the technical side) for project banners. See Wikipedia talk:Books/Hadronic Matter for an example, as well as Category:Book-Class articles. I'm letting you know so WP1.0 can adapt and update documentation accordingly (I already updated some of it, although probably not all of it). Should I post this on the WP1.0 talk page as well? Headbomb {ταλκκοντριβς – WP Physics} 20:04, 18 November 2009 (UTC)

Yes, can you post the information at Wikipedia_talk:Version_1.0_Editorial_Team/Index also, along with some background. User:CBM can bear that in mind as he works on the "second generation" 1.0 bot next month. Thanks! Walkerma (talk) 22:15, 18 November 2009 (UTC)

Signpost article[edit]

Following the creation of the new Book-Class, I wrote this to be featured in an upcoming Signpost edition. Feedback is welcome. Also where would be the place to post this for the 1.0 team? Headbomb {ταλκκοντριβς – WP Physics} 18:49, 25 November 2009 (UTC)

This looks very nice! I don't have any suggestions on how to change it - it's very clear and concise, which is what they will like at the Signpost. Thanks for doing this - I think it's a great step forward, and will really promote the book idea among WikiProjects, and such books designed by WikiProjects will usually (IMHO) be more effectively compiled than those by individuals.
As regards the 1.0 team, if it's OK with you and other members of the book project I'd like to add your project to our list of active projects. I will also add a section in the main template. That doesn't mean that people from the 1.0 team will try to boss you around; such a listing simply indicates that you're part of the loose conglomeration of people working on offline projects. In other words, we're a federation of projects, not a hierarchy. I'll post a comment on the project talk pages too. Walkerma (talk) 09:41, 26 November 2009 (UTC)
Don't recall hearing of that list, but perhaps I'm just confused by what exactly you mean by "main template". Anyway, go right ahead. WP1.0 never tried to boss around anyone in the ~2 years I've been here, so I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. Headbomb {ταλκκοντριβς – WP Physics} 15:32, 26 November 2009 (UTC)
Upon reflection on your Signpost piece, a couple of questions occur to me, that a WikiProject may ask:
  • How would a WikiProject go about designing & producing its own book?
  • How would this affect our current assessment scheme? Could we have an article rated as (say) both B-Class and Book-Class?
I think you probably need a page somewhere that explains exactly how the new system will work. You could add a link from your Signpost article, from the project page, as well as from Category:Book-Class_articles itself. You will need to explain, for example, the banner doesn't appear on the regular article talk page. Probably the best thing is to show
  1. The process for putting a book collection together using the Book-Class
  2. The process for a project to tag & monitor an existing book
  3. Answers to expected FAQs
When we set up the 1.0 bot we wrote this set of instructions; that may give you some ideas. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 10:11, 26 November 2009 (UTC)
Good suggestions. I'll prepare some mini-guides. The idea we talked about in the IRC was to use book-class on the individual WikiProjects banner, but actually through the WikiPedia-Books banner. I don't know if this is viable, or even desirable at the moment since I wouldn't have any idea on how to describe what B-class or start-Class means for a book. Headbomb {ταλκκοντριβς – WP Physics} 15:32, 26 November 2009 (UTC)

More about the signpost :)[edit]

Hi, I'm including both the article above and the tidbit about the article milestone here, for this week's issue. Do you have any more background that could be added -- for instance, do you happen to know when this style of assessment began? Or just a quick background about the 1.0 project's assessment work would be great. Feel free to edit the article directly, or let me know. thanks! -- phoebe / (talk to me) 18:37, 29 November 2009 (UTC)

Thanks a lot! I made a small change - please can you check that it's OK? We may also have some other 1.0 news in the next day or two, I'll keep you posted if anything else surfaces before it "goes to press". Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 03:30, 30 November 2009 (UTC)

Merry Christmas[edit]

Juletræet.jpg

Fixes to 0.7?[edit]

Hi Martin,

What is the release status of version 0.7? Did you see the issues I reported about wdb2.okawix on the Editorial Team discussion page?

RickJP (talk) 12:05, 11 January 2010 (UTC)

Sorry I missed seeing your comments because of work & Christmas! Thanks for recording those bugs - I've replied to you there. As for a release date, I asked Linterweb again about that via email, and I'll post something on the 1.0 page once he's fixed the date. I think because it's now quite an old collection they're less enthusiastic about it, but hopefully it'll be out soon. Meanwhile, there are lots of exciting developments happening behind the scenes that should make Version 0.8 a LOT better and faster to turn around. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 08:53, 12 January 2010 (UTC)
Thanks; looking forward to 0.8. RickJP (talk) 21:58, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
We're tentatively saying February 1st, but I'll let you know when it's fixed. Fabien was fixing Iraq today. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 02:45, 14 January 2010 (UTC)
Lots of fixing needed there. Wizzy 07:59, 14 January 2010 (UTC)
Yes - we're trying to get someone to work on the indexing, as there are known bugs in the code that wrote it, and it also needs some manual input for tweaking it. Walkerma (talk) 08:57, 14 January 2010 (UTC)

Importance ratings for non-article classes[edit]

If you have a moment, I'd appreciate any thoughts you have about Wikipedia_talk:Version_1.0_Editorial_Team/Assessment#Importance_ratings_for_non-article_classes. — Carl (CBM · talk) 20:51, 18 January 2010 (UTC)

Hi[edit]

Hi, Martin. Thanks for welcoming me back! Glad you've kept up the work on the release versions.

I'm also busy in real life and just doing a little piddly stuff here. I moved this summer to Albuquerque.

Take care, Maurreen (talk) 05:08, 5 February 2010 (UTC)

April 2010 GAN backlog elimination drive[edit]

WikiProject Good Articles will be running a GAN backlog elimination drive for the entire month of April. The goal of this drive is to bring the number of outstanding Good Article nominations down to below 200. This will help editors in restoring confidence to the GAN process as well as actively improving, polishing, and rewarding good content. If you are interested in participating in the drive, please place your name here. Awards will be given out to those who review certain numbers of GANs as well as to those who review the most. Hope we can see you in April.
Symbol support vote.svg

MuZemike delivered by MuZebot 18:25, 25 March 2010 (UTC)

0.7 status[edit]

Someone pointed out that Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team refers to releasing 0.7 in 2009. I know that we have released electronic versions, but I don't know about physical media. Could you update that section whenever you have a chance? I'm sure other people are interested as well. — Carl (CBM · talk) 11:26, 16 April 2010 (UTC)

We just had a question about this on the reference desk: Wikipedia:Reference desk/Miscellaneous#wikipedia on disc. The wikipedia:Version 0.7 page is shockingly unclear on how to actually attain the CD: could you please explain (either here, or on the reference desk, or preferably on the Version 0.7 page) how to actually buy the disk? Buddy431 (talk) 15:39, 13 May 2010 (UTC)
I'm essentially on wikibreak right now, but I'll send an email to Linterweb. The problem is that they didn't do a formal release - there was a bug in the Mac version, and they never confirmed it as fixed. It can be downloaded. I'll reply. Walkerma (talk) 02:43, 15 May 2010 (UTC)repl
Thank you, that was very helpful. Buddy431 (talk) 17:28, 17 May 2010 (UTC)

Software for creating Cd from wiki[edit]

Just thought of notifying about this software which was used for Malayalam wikipedia version 1.0 : http://wiki.github.com/santhoshtr/wiki2cd/ —Preceding unsigned comment added by Santhosh.thottingal (talkcontribs) 13:45, 17 April 2010 (UTC)

Thanks a lot! I'm basically on wikibreak - hence the slow reply - but this is good to see. I went to add links on places like Meta and I see you've beaten me to it! Let me know if you're going to Gdansk, I plan to be there, it would be good to meet you. Walkerma (talk) 04:03, 15 May 2010 (UTC)

You are now a Reviewer[edit]

Wikipedia Reviewer.svg

Hello. Your account has been granted the "reviewer" userright, allowing you to review other users' edits on certain flagged pages. Pending changes, also known as flagged protection, is currently undergoing a two-month trial scheduled to end 15 August 2010.

Reviewers can review edits made by users who are not autoconfirmed to articles placed under pending changes. Pending changes is applied to only a small number of articles, similarly to how semi-protection is applied but in a more controlled way for the trial. The list of articles with pending changes awaiting review is located at Special:OldReviewedPages.

When reviewing, edits should be accepted if they are not obvious vandalism or BLP violations, and not clearly problematic in light of the reason given for protection (see Wikipedia:Reviewing process). More detailed documentation and guidelines can be found here.

If you do not want this userright, you may ask any administrator to remove it for you at any time. Courcelles (talk) 01:11, 18 June 2010 (UTC)

West.andrew.g[edit]

You may not have noticed that the above editor has been blocked for sockpuppetry. Dougweller (talk) 20:49, 24 July 2010 (UTC)

Sodium sulfate solubility-graph data[edit]

Hiya martin!

What's the origin of the data graphed in File:Na2SO4 solubility.png? The image is used in Sodium sulfate#Physical and chemical properties, which has an in-text cite for solubility characteristics, but could you clarify the source for the graph itself? DMacks (talk) 13:39, 12 August 2010 (UTC)

Hi DMacks - good to hear from you! I created the graph in Excel, simply by plotting the data from the source given. I thought I'd added the source into the image description, but apparently not - now done. I always thought that solubility curve was interesting, that's one reason I worked on that article. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 14:00, 12 August 2010 (UTC)

TUSC token b3a1d410187d065fd3e96359c8b70151[edit]

I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!

Time to archive page[edit]

Is it time to archive this page? --Chemicalinterest (talk) 20:08, 30 August 2010 (UTC)

Org. Synth. and User:OrgSyn[edit]

Hey

I just chanced upon a new user, OrgSyn (talk · contribs), who is supposed to be from the journal. I mentioned that there are some ways they can help us. Maybe you'd like to take a look? --Rifleman 82 (talk) 03:39, 5 September 2010 (UTC)

the Public Policy Initiative Assessment Team wants You![edit]

Hi Walkerma, I got your name from the Editorial Team participant list, and wanted to tell you that we will be testing out assessment metrics in the Wikiproject: United States Public Policy, and I was hoping you would be interested in assessing articles with the Public Policy Initiative. There is more info about assessment on the 9/13/2010 Signpost. If you're interested or just curious you can sign up on the project page or just contact me. Thanks! ARoth (Public Policy Initiative) (talk) 21:43, 16 September 2010 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Pending changes/Straw poll on interim usage[edit]

Hi. As you recently commented in the straw poll regarding the ongoing usage and trial of Pending changes, this is to notify you that there is an interim straw poll with regard to keeping the tool switched on or switching it off while improvements are worked on and due for release on November 9, 2010. This new poll is only in regard to this issue and sets no precedent for any future usage. Your input on this issue is greatly appreciated. Off2riorob (talk) 23:52, 20 September 2010 (UTC)

V 0.8[edit]

Hi. Various people have been providing input at the V0.8 page following the bot's notification of the projects. I've not seen any response from the build project yet. COuld you please confirm that you will provided it either on the talk page or at individual WikiProjects?--Peter cohen (talk) 19:55, 22 September 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for checking in. I replied to one so far, but I was going to start working through replies tonight in more detail. The place I reply will depend on the specifics - I will typically reply at the WikiProject if (a) the proposal is by one person, without obvious discussion in-project or (b) once the proposal is judged (by me) to be closed. I will also be trying to recruit a couple of experienced 1.0 people to help review these, but in the past this part of the process has usually fallen mainly to me...! Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 20:41, 22 September 2010 (UTC)
Thanks, Martin for the prompt reply.--Peter cohen (talk) 21:34, 22 September 2010 (UTC)
Since the links to look at the articles don't seem to work, or at least [4] doesn't provide anything useful to the average editor and [5] doesn't work at all, will you be giving more time so these articles can be scrutinised? Dougweller (talk) 13:19, 27 September 2010 (UTC)
I agree that the former is of little use to the average editor, but the second link works just fine for me. The second one should give you everything you need - links to the current and the selected versions, the assesments and score for each article, and you can even look at metadata (links in, interwiki links, no. of page hits) if you choose to. Sometimes the toolserver is a bit slow - could you try a couple more times and get back to me if you still have problems? Thanks for reporting this, Walkerma (talk) 15:46, 27 September 2010 (UTC)
It's working now, thanks. I tried it several times earlier and it wasn't working. Dougweller (talk) 15:52, 27 September 2010 (UTC)
Just a note to say thanks for reviewing my Aviation WP article suggestions. I understand why they have not been chosen and am happy to leave selection of articles to those who are familiar with the process. Mjroots (talk) 18:27, 27 September 2010 (UTC)
Thank you! I appreciate your comment - it's a very hard job, because I know people can get disappointed or even upset by our selections. What we could do (if people are interested) is work with WP:Aviation on producing a specific selection of articles from WP:Aviation, which people could either download (e.g., for their mobile phone) or buy as a book. There would certainly be a place for good articles like these on interesting topics, in a more specialised selection. Thanks, Walkerma (talk) 19:56, 27 September 2010 (UTC)
Hi there, am interested to know if there is a specific deadline or something you guys are working on to get 0.8 out? If yes, any place where I can follow the progress (apart from the wiki page) , maybe a mass mail/newsletter announcing to the world when 0.8 is out would do world of good. Even if you have some test releases out to work out any chinks (if there are any or something like that) it would be a good idea. I have been looking at it for more than 6 months and there hardly seems any progress happening. Looking forward your comment on the same. Shirishag75 (talk) 16:13, 25 October 2010 (UTC)
Not a hard deadline, but at our IRC I said I would try to get the manual reviews done by the end of the month (i.e., this coming weekend). I'm doing this part alone, and it's quite labour intensive, so I just have to work through it. We are aiming to have the collection ready to go out on the internet and out into shops (probably only in France) by November 21st, but they need about three weeks for all the technical stuff (preparing ZIM files, checking copyrights, etc.).
Version 0.8 is the test release - the "actual" release (1.0)will probably be in 2011. I've actually started this blog recently for information on the offline work, because I do see a need for something like this off-wiki. But since I am personally holding up the release date, I hesitate to take time away from the manual reviewing to post on it this week! Because of your request, though, I'll write a quick post tonight. We are planning publicity in the Signpost, the Wikimedia Foundation blog, etc, but since this is only a pilot release we're not blowing trumpets - we will save that for the launch of 1.0 next year. Thanks, Walkerma (talk) 21:13, 25 October 2010 (UTC)
Blog post, as promised! Walkerma (talk) 05:51, 26 October 2010 (UTC)

Wiki 0.8[edit]

I think I may have found a solution on the Immaculate Conception article. The deadline is October 11th?Malke 2010 (talk) 00:10, 28 September 2010 (UTC)

Yes, that's the deadline for when we want to finish feedback from WikiProjects. We will in fact still be finishing off processing the results from that for a few days after that. I'm praying that we'll have some divine intervention, so that references and balanced prose will suddenly appear without any apparent edits....! Walkerma (talk) 22:04, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
Okay, I'm working on the Immaculate Conception article with another editor. The biggest thing is the sources. Also, on the Catholic Church, here is the article when it was at GA status. Miracle of miracles. Please use this one: [6]. Even the pictures are nice.Malke 2010 (talk) 00:47, 30 September 2010 (UTC)
There may be sourcing issues with that version. See Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Catholic Church and related talkpage discussions from around that time period before restoring a 2-year-old version. --SarekOfVulcan (talk) 14:46, 30 September 2010 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Walkerma. You have new messages at Parent5446's talk page.
Message added 03:33, 24 October 2010 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Russian link on Alcohol[edit]

About this. [7]

Articles which are also in foreign languages can be included on the left side of any page under the "languages" drop-down menu, with the proper wiki tags. It's redundant to keep one Russian article linked at the bottom.   Zenwhat (talk) 22:12, 29 October 2010 (UTC)

Sorry - my mistake! For some reason, I thought the Russian link had been completely removed. I've apologized to the person who originally removed the redundant link. Thanks, Walkerma (talk) 12:25, 31 October 2010 (UTC)

Breast cancer and Atorvastatin revIDs[edit]

Hi, just returned from a longer vacation where I was 100% offline and can look at it soon if it is not too late. What is the deadline? Richiez (talk) 10:26, 8 November 2010 (UTC)

I have looked through the breast cancer article with several small fixes. So for example http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Breast_cancer&oldid=396699438 should be reasonably good, but perhaps there is still some time to wait for stabilisation? Richiez (talk) 13:41, 14 November 2010 (UTC)
Yes, we still have a few days. Thanks, Walkerma (talk) 14:15, 14 November 2010 (UTC)
Ok, I am doing little edits as I have time, pick any of my revisions when time comes. Richiez (talk) 18:35, 14 November 2010 (UTC)

If it still matters this version has a few tidied up formulations. Richiez (talk) 00:21, 27 November 2010 (UTC)

Yes, it does matter - I've updated it. Thanks! Walkerma (talk) 03:48, 2 December 2010 (UTC)

First half ..[edit]

.. is done. We can now unambiguously link uploaded images on commons to en.wikipedia chem- and drugboxes, and the pages under influence will be changed when a file on commons gets overwritten. See some test edits in the history of Benzene. It was easier than I expected. --Dirk Beetstra T C 14:26, 10 November 2010 (UTC)

Version 0.8[edit]

Re Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Venezuela#Venezuela_articles_have_been_selected_for_the_Wikipedia_0.8_release - is it too late to respond to your question now? Rd232 talk 17:06, 11 November 2010 (UTC)

File source problem with File:Potassium prep.gif[edit]

Copyright-problem.svg

Thank you for uploading File:Potassium prep.gif. I noticed that the file's description page currently doesn't specify who created the content, so the copyright status is unclear. If you did not create this file yourself, you will need to specify the owner of the copyright. If you obtained it from a website, please add a link to the website from which it was taken, together with a brief restatement of that website's terms of use of its content. However, if the copyright holder is a party unaffiliated from the website's publisher, that copyright should also be acknowledged.

If you have uploaded other files, consider verifying that you have specified sources for those files as well. You can find a list of files you have created in your upload log. Unsourced and untagged images may be deleted one week after they have been tagged per Wikipedia's criteria for speedy deletion, F4. If the image is copyrighted and non-free, the image will be deleted 48 hours after 18:07, 23 November 2010 (UTC) per speedy deletion criterion F7. If you have any questions or are in need of assistance please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you. Sfan00 IMG (talk) 18:07, 23 November 2010 (UTC)

Happy Holidays![edit]

Giant snowball Oxford.jpg
          Happy Holidays!
P snowflake.svg
Dear Walkerma,
Best wishes to you and your family this holiday season, whether you are celebrating Christmas or a different holiday. It's a special time of the year for almost everyone, and there's always a reason to spread the holiday spirit! ;)
Love,
--Meaghan [talk] 14:29, 22 December 2010 (UTC)

Image index.[edit]

Hi Martin, I saw this weekend your post on the imagindex. Your first concern is actually a big bot-bug. I have resolved it, but now the format of the index has changed, from:

benzene.jpg=1234

to

benzene.jpg=1234@Benzene

In this way, we know which revid is used on which page. The bot has already been adapted to use this format. Do you have a quick list of which images are on which pages? I started, and will continue, to do some (the old numbers will now be largely ignored ...) All the best, and happy indexing. --Dirk Beetstra T C 11:23, 10 January 2011 (UTC)

Yes, I have a full list (I think), and I'll start adding them when I get a chance. I'm working on other things this week, but will return to the image validation work next week some time. MANY THANKS for getting this sorted so easily! Walkerma (talk) 21:39, 13 January 2011 (UTC)

March 2011 GAN backlog elimination drive a week away[edit]

Symbol support vote.svg

WikiProject Good Articles will be running a GAN backlog elimination drive for the entire month of March. The goal of this drive is to bring the number of outstanding Good Article nominations down to below 50. This will help editors in restoring confidence to the GAN process as well as actively improving, polishing, and rewarding good content. If you are interested in participating in the drive, please place your name here. Awards will be given out to those who review certain numbers of GANs as well as to those who review the most. On behalf of my co-coordinator Wizardman, we hope we can see you in March. MuZemike delivered by MuZebot 23:56, 21 February 2011 (UTC)

The apophasis of Auguste Maquet[edit]

Hi Walkerma, I saw your comment over at Talk:The_Three_Musketeers#Auguste_Maquet because I was hunting for the same exact thing. I, unfortunately, do not have any literary information about Maquet's contributions to The Three Musketeers. Would you still happen to have that biography on you? If you don't, would you mind repeating the title for me, and I will try to locate it? – Kerαunoςcopiagalaxies 04:27, 22 February 2011 (UTC)

The book I read is listed as one of the general references for Dumas fils. It is
  • Maurois, André (1957). The Titans, a three-generation biography of the Dumas. trans. by Gerard Hopkins. New York: Harper & Brothers Publishers. OCLC 260126.
I have the book on the shelf next to my bed, I really must have a go at doing that! The book makes it clear that they collaborated for much of Dumas pere's career, and that Dumas regarded Maquet as a major contributor to his work - so when Dumas went on his travels, he often had Maquet travel with him. That's why I was astonished that the WP article never even mentioned him. Their relationship was cordial for most of the time, though they had one point when they fell out - I think Maquet filed a lawsuit to get a bigger share of the money from the Three Musketeers - but they seem to have become friends again once it blew over. BTW, I'm a chemist, but I read a lot, and in this case I feel it's a very important topic that has a surprisingly weak article. (Alexandre Dumas gets around half a million hits per year, and The Three Musketeers gets around 1.5 million.) I didn't want to plunge in as an ignorant scientist without getting some feedback from the literary community, so I'm glad that I may be on the right track! Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 05:44, 22 February 2011 (UTC)
Wow, I didn't know any of that! Thank you so much for listing the book. My reading list is lengthy (as it always is), but I may bump this one up. That is definitely extremely important information for any of those articles: Dumas's, Maquet's, and of course the novels themselves. – Kerαunoςcopiagalaxies 06:22, 22 February 2011 (UTC)
You'll enjoy it - it's a very well-written biography of a very colourful character, but also very well-researched by the French author. Have fun, Walkerma (talk) 07:14, 22 February 2011 (UTC)
Thanks! I managed to find it at my library; it should come in in a short while. – Kerαunoςcopiagalaxies 08:58, 22 February 2011 (UTC)

alloxan[edit]

You built alloxan, and recently other people rewrote things on its effects on diabetes. Do you accept the changes? If not, edit it yourself.--133.9.4.11 (talk) 06:08, 24 February 2011 (UTC)

Your silence caused edit warring, although we understand it is NOT your fault. Anyway, PLEASE intervene.--133.9.4.11 (talk) 05:43, 11 March 2011 (UTC)

I'm not sure I can - I know nothing about the issues involved. I did look at the page, and the edits didn't seem unreasonable. I'm an organic chemist - my only contribution to that page was to check the CAS Registry number. If there is a problem, it would be best to raise it with WP:PHARM, as they have editors who know about drugs and their action. Sorry I can't help more. Walkerma (talk) 07:44, 11 March 2011 (UTC)

The Signpost interview[edit]

I'm not sure I'm the right person for that - sorry! I consider myself more of a supporter of the Council, rather than an active participant. I'm also not sure if any of the original founders are still active - but Kirill would be a good person to talk to, since he was the most responsible (as I recall) for setting it up. Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 05:15, 30 March 2011 (UTC)

WP 1.0 Workflow[edit]

Heya! Thanks for your support :)

I've modified my diagram to take into account Carl's comments. The new one is here: http://min.us/mPagEBe0tIasX#1 :) Yuvi (talk) 12:29, 8 April 2011 (UTC)

Accepted for GSoC[edit]

Heya! Just a note saying I've been accepted for GSoC, and it'd be awesome if we could talk about how the current process is done. You on IRC Anytime? Yuvi (talk) 20:54, 5 May 2011 (UTC)

Great news! I'm really pleased. As for IRC, we can meet on #wikipedia-1.0, but what time zone are you in? If you're in the US Pacific Time Zone, then late tomorrow afternoon (your time) would probably be a good time for me. If not, then maybe Saturday some time. I'm in the US Eastern Time Zone. If you have Skype, we could do that if you prefer. Jessie Wild did a really nice new page about offline releases, and she describes the process here. I think I may have mentioned a page I did here. Congratulations, Walkerma (talk) 01:42, 6 May 2011 (UTC)

Wayne Shorter[edit]

I saw you are/were involved in indexing Wikipedia 0.7. I skimmed an article on Wayne Shorter indexed under Buddhism. It seemed to me a clearly inappropriate placement. Can you remove it. I don't know how. <ARRust (talk) 16:13, 24 May 2011 (UTC)>

Unfortunately, with an offline release everything is fixed once it is published, and 0.7 came out a year or two back. I think this problem arose because someone began tagging biographical articles for WP:BUDDHA if the person was (at some point) a Buddhist. The Shorter article mentions that he is a Buddhist (see the personal life section. For 0.8, someone from the Buddhism project spotted that Courtney Love was tagged in this way, so we corrected that, but we depend on individual WikiProjects to tag articles appropriately. (I personally can't sit down and read 30-50,000 articles and make those judgements!) I know the person who tagged the article (he is a great asset to Wikipedia!) - I think it was just an honest mistake on his part, so I've left a note for him regarding this and the other "possibly mis-tagged" articles. Once he responds, we can work with WP:BUDDHA to make sure that this article and any similar mistakes are corrected before we do our next release. Thanks, Walkerma (talk) 21:40, 25 May 2011 (UTC)

Buddhism[edit]

Wayne Shorter and Courtney Love are still both categorized as American Buddhists and members of Soka Gakkai. Although the tagging was done by cutting and pasting the banners, not AWB, yeah, the tagging was, pretty much, done based on the categorization. There are and remain serious questions regarding whether these categorizations should be used as often as they are, and that is a question for a lot of religion projects, and a lot of national, regional, and other projects as well. I'm personally not at all sure how to deal with these issues, except, maybe, on the talk pages of the articles to see if the editors involved believe that the categorization is appropriate. If it isn't, then the banner, clearly, wouldn't be either.

Less active right now because I'm going through the Infotrac databank to find the various "encyclopedic" and dictionary type sources out there, by running a full text search on the words. Once I get the material together, I think it might help a lot of the groups to both determine what articles they want to tag, as well as which articles they still need. Unfortunately, there are about 50,000 reviews on that databank alone, of I think about 10,000 books, so it is taking a while to go through all the articles and citations to see which are really useful, and which are just articles which just mention, for instance, the OED in some trivial way. John Carter (talk) 16:17, 29 May 2011 (UTC)

Proposed Image Deletion[edit]

A deletion discussion has just been created at Category talk:Unclassified Chemical Structures, which may involve one or more orphaned chemical structures, that has you user name in the upload history. Please feel free to add your comments.  Ronhjones  (Talk) 23:09, 10 June 2011 (UTC)

Commons file fault[edit]

Menthol reactions.png

Hi

I would like to notify a mistake in the file "Menthol reactions.png" created by you. The elimination reaction of menthol leads to product inconsistent with the Zaitsev rule because the sterochemistry of this reaction requires trans arrangement to crate antiperiplanar transition state. Presented situation would be appropriate for neomenthol. Regards --Danielchemik (talk) 00:23, 2 July 2011 (UTC)

Actually, the reaction goes via an E1 mechanism (it forms the carbocation), so the antiperiplanar rule doesn't apply. This also consistent with ref 8, which is where I got most of the reactions from. But I'm really glad people are scrutinising my work - I'm very capable of making silly mistakes! Cheers, Walkerma (talk) 00:31, 2 July 2011 (UTC)
I think the product is consistent with Zaitsev, which says "more substituted alkene" and nothing about the geometric orientation of H vs LG. I'll have to see if I can find a ref for the Hofmann elimination reaction for menthol--it's a great substrate for many different kinds of reactions. The more interesting case to my mind (and confusing to my students!) is the chlorination with retention of stereochemistry (Phosphorus pentachloride is silent on that issue). I'll check for the normal SN2 case too as comparison. DMacks (talk) 01:00, 2 July 2011 (UTC)
I cannot agree with You. If the reaction would go via an E1 mechanism the mixture of isomers should contain a higher percentage of the other one (than preseneted), beacuse the proton neighboring to isopropyl group is more cover than protons of methylene group. Furtheremore, if the E1 mechanism occured probably the rearangement product would be also arise. Anyway, I looked in many books and I found similar exaple in Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wohers "Organic Chemistry" Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-850346-0, pp. 492-493, where is clearly written that this reaction with Cl substituent (I think even better living group than OH) E1 mechanism is excluded. The example presented in this book shows the neomenthol elimination leading to 1:3 mixture of products, but for menthol only the isomer of double bond between 2 and 4 o'clock carbons is created. In principle the reaction is one of the exceptions to Zaitsev rule. Greetings --Danielchemik (talk) 23:05, 2 July 2011 (UTC)
Certainly exceptions to Zaitzev are known, for various reasons depending on the substrate. However, I don't understand "the proton...is more cover". If you are talking about steric hindrance, that is not usually an important effect for E1 reactions (that's the whole point of Zaitzev). With strong acid, the leaving group of menthol is OH2+, which is better than Cl (true that OH is a poor LG without protonation), and lots of rearrangements could happen. I don't know what conditions Clayden/etc use, but if it's at all concerted (not E1), then certainly the 2/4-o'clock is the less hindered result...expected as usual for E2.
As an interesting example illustrating that rearrangement does occur is doi:10.1021/ja01235a019. Dehydration of menthol using Lewis-acid at high temp in polar-protic solvent (sounds like classic E1 conditions) and claims to get 2-methyl-5-isopropyl-1-cyclohexene as the major product (that would have the alkene at noon/2-o'clock)--I don't see the thermodynamic or kinetic advantage here vs other possibilities. I guess we need Walkerma to verify the ref the used. DMacks (talk) 23:38, 2 July 2011 (UTC)
The reaction result isn't based on speculation by me - I'm simply reporting what the literature (Simonsen) reports, and I certainly couldn't predict the >90%. The major product is Zaitsev. I'm away from home at the moment, so I'll have to wait till I get home to confirm it. Also, there is a huge difference between a reaction of an alcohol in sulfuric acid (which HAS to go via cationic intermediates anyway) and a reaction of a chloro compound which must go E2. I presume you're not proposing that a secondary alcohol is unable to go E1 in sulfuric acid! The lack of a rearrangement product, the tetrasubstituted alkene, may be due to the fact that endocyclic DBs (as in the product) are typically more stable than exocyclic DBs (the rearr product), and that may offset the effect of the added substitution.
I used to run a lab experiment(which I developed myself) using menthyl chloride, neomenthyl bromide and menthyl methanesulfonate; under the conditions we used (usually DBU), all three tended to give 3-menthene (based on NMR) as the major product, which was very annoying to me, because I was trying to get a lab that showed the antiperiplanar rule! I had to speculate that under those conditions, at the high temperatures we used (to get the reaction done quickly enough for a lab period) it went E1 despite by best efforts to get E2; the other (less likely) possibility is a syn E2 elimination, which is rare but possible with a higher Eact. The anti E2 requires both the isopropyl and the methyl groups to go axial, which raises the Eact, so that may make the E1 a little more favoured. When I get some time, I'll go back and review the literature some more. Instead, I switched to a "safe" lab where they dehydrate 2-methylcyclohexanol with phosphoric acid; in that case it gives a nice mixture of 3-methylcyclohexene (major) and 1-methylcyclohexene (minor) as predicted by Zaitsev and E1; we never see even a trace or rearrangement product (methylenecyclohexane). Anyway, I'll confirm it when I get home. Walkerma (talk) 00:31, 3 July 2011 (UTC)

Assessment Extensions GSoC project[edit]

Heya! I do have a timeline setup here (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Yuvipanda/GSoC/Timeline). In a few weeks or so, I'll hopefully have something I can show off in a test-wiki :) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Yuvipanda (talkcontribs) 16:07, 20 July 2011 (UTC)

Thanks! I've already shared it with a few people, and I've added some comments on the talk page. Walkerma (talk) 06:17, 21 July 2011 (UTC)

WP:1.0[edit]

As I understand the next version will be 0.9? I updated the pages accordingly. Ruslik_Zero 16:11, 11 September 2011 (UTC)

How to get the quality annotation of each article?[edit]

How to get the quality annotation of each articles which forms the following table? Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/Statistics I want to try some informative retrieval technologies to automatically assess the quality of articles, such as search engines, summarization. My first difficult is how to get the quality annotation of each article. I have read and sticked to the FAQ for a couple of days, but still can not figure to do it. I have downloaded the latest dumps and count the pages carrying the tag of ``Featured article``, but it only results in about 2000 articles, much less than the expected number of 3000. Could you please be kind enough to give me some hints? Thanks. By the way, I am glad to help in Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team. Arthur.xl.wang (talk) 03:46, 13 September 2011 (UTC)

First of all - thanks for the offer to help with the 1.0 team. Although things have been quiet on-wiki lately, there are many things brewing for the next year or so. I'm sorry that the 1.0 project is so complicated - the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. We could aim to document things more effectively, but then we probably wouldn't have enough time to work on the next release! But if you work with us, you'll soon pick up on the relevant parts of the work. What parts would interest you?
As regards the quality assessment, these can be found one at a time by looking at the WikiProject tags on the talk page of each article. These tags add the article talk page into a category such as "C-Class Japanese manga articles". If you want to look at a large number of data at once, you should go to this toolserver page, where you can list all of the articles from a given project, etc. It would be interesting to see how well you could predict the assessment using only technology. If it proves to be pretty accurate, there could be value in using it for low-importance articles, but I doubt if the community would want their expert review completely replaced by an automatic assessment! Here are a few points to note about the quality assessment system:
    • The value of it is that a subject-expert (e.g. in Japanese manga) is the one making the assessment. I (as a non-expert) could look over the article (just like a machine) and think that the article is really good, but an expert may see that much of the content is inaccurate or puffed up with personal opinion, etc. Likewise, I might see a short article with few pictures and think "this is poor", but an expert may recognise that the content is really well-written, accurate, and cover a lot of important facts in few words. Certain styles or types of content are appropriate in one subject, but not in another, and those familiar with the subject will understand that. (Try writing an article like persistent carbene without the use of technical language, for example!) Of course there is a down side to human assessments; a reviewer may have personal prejudices against certain styles or even certain topics.
    • Related to this is the ability to assess specific subject content within an article. An article may have really good coverage in one area, but poor in another. For example, an article on Leonardo da Vinci may cover his inventions well, but his painting rather poorly; in this case, it may be tagged as B-Class for WikiProject Engineering, but only Start-Class for WikiProject Painting (this is just a made-up example!)
    • One strength of the current system is that essentially all WikiProjects use the same assessment scale, allowing us to compare content from different subjects. However, there are variations in how the assessments are applied in practice; a few projects do not use C-Class, and a few projects may tag an article as B-Class that most would consider to be C or even Start.
    • A problem with the current system is that assessments are often out of date. Even though many WikiProjects have assessment drives to keep things up to date, they often get neglected. We have some chemistry articles that haven't been reassessed since 2006. Your automated assessment could be VERY valuable for solving this problem. Your program might check a list of 1000 articles with assessments over one year old, and then report back, "These 17 articles gave an auto-assessment that was very different from the manual assessment. You should check these again manually".
As for the miscounting of featured articles (FAs), I'm not sure of the reason. If you look at WP:FA, it lists around 3400 articles as featured, and that is the definitive list. The fact that we have over 3700 may indicate that we have some articles tagged as FA-Class which have lost their FA status.
Please let me know if I can help you further, and how you would like to help the 1.0 project. All the best, Walkerma (talk) 19:09, 13 September 2011 (UTC)
Thank Walkerma very much for his suggestion. They are very important and helpful. For my question of finding the annotations of wiki pages, this toolserver page is the perfect solution. I plan to try some samples first. If there is any progress, I will post here. :) Arthur.xl.wang (talk) 00:52, 15 September 2011 (UTC)

All files in category Unclassified Chemical Structures listed for deletion[edit]

One or more of the files that you uploaded or altered has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for deletion. Please see the discussion to see why this is (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry), if you are interested in it/them not being deleted. Thank you.

Delivered by MessageDeliveryBot on behalf of MGA73 (talk) at 18:27, 28 November 2011 (UTC).

Wikipedia 0.8[edit]

Hey Walkerma, is there any chance you could add brief descriptions of what the different files on this page are, and how big they are? For example, what's the difference between the .zim file and the .zim.md5 file? Kaldari (talk) 09:45, 19 December 2011 (UTC)

Not sure myself - it's a bit technical for me! I'm guessing that the md5 is a compressed version and the zim is the raw file. I'm really busy IRL at the moment, but will have much more time after tomorrow - I'll contact User:Kelson who is the person who created those files. Hopefully I can also get a bit more engaged in WP again soon! Walkerma (talk) 17:09, 19 December 2011 (UTC)

File:Heptane CNMR.png listed for deletion[edit]

A file that you uploaded or altered, File:Heptane CNMR.png, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for deletion. Please see the discussion to see why this is (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry), if you are interested in it not being deleted. Thank you. MGA73 (talk) 19:50, 21 February 2012 (UTC)

File:Heptane HNMR.png listed for deletion[edit]

A file that you uploaded or altered, File:Heptane HNMR.png, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for deletion. Please see the discussion to see why this is (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry), if you are interested in it not being deleted. Thank you. MGA73 (talk) 19:52, 21 February 2012 (UTC)

You're invited! New England Wikimedia General Meeting[edit]

Wikimedia New England logo.svg
New England Wikimedia General Meeting

The New England Wikimedia General Meeting will be a large-scale meetup of all Wikimedians (and friends) from the New England area in order to discuss regional coordination and possible formalization of our community (i.e., a chapter). Come hang out with other Wikimedians, learn more about ongoing activities, and help plan for the future!
Potential topics:
Sunday, April 22
1:30 PM – 4:30 PM
Conference Room C06, Johnson Building,
Boston Public Library—Central Library
700 Boylston St., Boston MA 02116
Please sign up here: Wikipedia:Meetup/New England!

Message delivered by Dominic at 09:17, 11 April 2012 (UTC). Note: You can remove your name from this meetup invite list here.

help with mapping catagories[edit]

hi I can probably help you BO; talk 22:01, 19 May 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for the offer! That's an area I know little about, so I'd appreciate your help. Walkerma (talk) 14:55, 21 May 2012 (UTC)

census[edit]

You looked at the quality of census before. I have improved it and agree that it should be more informative. Any chance you could advise generally now on further development? I know too much about the topic to be able to judge but the number of hits indicates a wide user interest. It would be good if it wasn't start class but general improvements to make it more informative is my principal concern. Feel free to direct me to someone else.Ca3tki (talk) 22:29, 22 May 2012 (UTC)

I'll take a look tomorrow. I'm really busy tonight - up all night working IRL - but after that's over I'll take a look. Walkerma (talk) 22:36, 22 May 2012 (UTC)
thanks - had to look up IRL - any advice will be appreciatedCa3tki (talk) 12:20, 23 May 2012 (UTC)

Hello![edit]

Hi Martin, it was great seeing you at Wikimania 2012. I wanted to point you to the MediaWiki extension we talked about, which enables interactive 3D models of proteins and DNA on Wikipedia. It's available at http://pdbhandler.wmflabs.org. Some background information on the extension is available here. Any feedback would be appreciated.

We also talked about Wikipedia 1.0. The earliest I'd possibly be available to devote some time to helping with that is October. Another person that might be able to help is Oren Bochman, who presented a very interesting talk on Article Quality Assessment using Content Analytics at this year's Wikimania. Perhaps some elements of Oren's software could be incorporated into article ratings/assessments for Wikipedia 1.0? Best, Emw (talk) 00:49, 15 July 2012 (UTC)

Thanks a lot for the links, and it was really good to meet you too. My work has been on this wiki, which has some interesting features such as structure search capabilities. If there are Jmol people in Philly next month, I'll get in touch and try to arrange a meeting for you if you're available. Thanks, Walkerma (talk) 13:29, 15 July 2012 (UTC)

WP Chemicals in the Signpost[edit]

The WikiProject Report would like to focus on WikiProject Chemicals for a Signpost article. This is an excellent opportunity to draw attention to your efforts and attract new members to the project. Would you be willing to participate in an interview? If so, here are the questions for the interview. Just add your response below each question and feel free to skip any questions that you don't feel comfortable answering. Multiple editors will have an opportunity to respond to the interview questions, so be sure to sign your answers. If you know anyone else who would like to participate in the interview, please share this with them. Have a great day. -Mabeenot (talk) 05:46, 22 September 2012 (UTC)

WikiProject Good articles (Participant Clean-Up)[edit]

Hello, you are receiving this message because you are currently a participant of WikiProject Good articles. Since the creation of the WikiProject, over 200 user's have joined to help review good article nominations and contribute to other sections of the WikiProject. Over the years, several of these users have stopped reviewing articles and/or have become inactive with the project but are still listed as participates. In order to improve communications with other participants and get newsletters sent out faster (newsletters will begin to be sent out monthly starting in October) all participants that are no longer active with the WikiProject will be removed from the participants list.

If you are still interested in being a participant for this WikiProject, please sign your user name here and please help review some articles so we can reduce the size of the backlog. If you are no longer interested, you do not need to sign your name anywhere and your name will be removed from the participants list after the deadline. Remember that even if you are not interested at this time, you can always re-add your name to the list whenever you want. The deadline to sign your name on the page above will be November 1, 2012. Thank-you. 13:36, 22 September 2012 (UTC)

Update for: WikiProject Good articles (Participant Clean-Up)[edit]

Sorry for having to send out a second message but a user has brought to my attention that a point mentioned in the first message should be clarified. If user's don't sign on this page, they will be moved to an "Inactive Participants" list rather then be being removed from the entire WikiProject. Sorry for any confusion.--Dom497 (talk)15:26, 22 September 2012 (UTC)

WikiProject Good Articles Newsletter - October 2012[edit]

Delivered October 3, 2012 by ENewsBot. If you do not wish to receive this newsletter any longer, please remove your name from this list.

→ Please direct all enquiries regarding this newsletter to the WikiProject talk page.
→ Newsletter delivered by ENewsBot (info) · 05:50, 3 October 2012 (UTC)

You're invited: Ada Lovelace, STEM women edit-a-thon at Harvard[edit]

U.S. Ada Lovelace Day 2012 edit-a-thon, Harvard University - You are invited!
Ada Lovelace color.svg
Now in its fourth year, Ada Lovelace Day is an international celebration of women in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), and related fields. Participants from around New England are invited to gather together at Harvard Law School to edit and create Wikipedia entries on women who have made significant contributions to the STEM fields.
Register to attend or sign up to participate remotely - visit this page to do either.
00:49, 5 October 2012 (UTC)

WikiProject Good Articles - Participant Clean-up (Second Call)[edit]

Symbol support vote.svg
You are reciving this message because you have not added your name to the list of active WikiProject Good Articles participants. Though you may have recived the first message sent out in September, some users may have had that message archived before coming online to read it and therefore never saw it. If you are deeming yourself inactive with the WikiProject please disregard this message as your name will be moved to an "inactive participant" list at the end of the clean-up. If you are still active with the WikiProject, please be sure to include your name on this list. The current deadline to add your name to the list (if you are still active) is November 1, 2012. A third and final message will be sent out during the last week of the clean-up before the deadline. Thank-you.--EdwardsBot

WikiProject Good Articles - Participant Clean-up (Final Call)[edit]

Symbol support vote.svg
You are receiving this message because you have not added your name to the list of active WikiProject Good Articles participants. Though you may have recived the past two messages sent out in September and October, some users may have had that message archived before coming online to read it and therefore never saw it. If you are deeming yourself inactive with the WikiProject please disregard this message as your name will be moved to an "inactive participant" list at the end of the clean-up. If you are still active with the WikiProject, please be sure to include your name on this list. The deadline to add your name to the list (if you are still active) is November 1, 2012. This will be the last message sent out before the deadline which is in 2 days. Thank-you.--EdwardsBot

The GAN Newsletter (November 2012)[edit]

In This Issue



The WikiProject: Good Articles Newsletter (December 2012)[edit]

In This Issue



Talkback: you've got messages![edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Walkerma. You have new messages at Theopolisme's talk page.
Message added by Theopolisme at 16:24, 31 December 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

The WikiProject: Good Articles Newsletter (January 2013)[edit]

In This Issue



This newsletter was delivered by EdwardsBot (talk) 14:42, 3 January 2013 (UTC)

Talkback: you've got messages![edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Walkerma. You have new messages at Theopolisme's talk page.
Message added by Theopolisme at 22:21, 3 January 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

WikiProject Good Articles Newsletter - February 2013[edit]

In This Issue



Wikipedia:Release Version Nominations[edit]

Hi there, just wanted to point out there are some nominations waiting since 2011, will you take a look at them? :) Cheers, --Lester Foster (talk | talk) 06:10, 18 February 2013 (UTC). These will be done, for Version 0.9; answer on talk. Thanks, Walkerma (talk) 07:35, 19 February 2013 (UTC)

wiki 1.0[edit]

I don't see a template for adding my name to the list of editors willing to help. I'd be willing to review, edit, write legal articles. Thanks. Malke 2010 (talk) 18:34, 12 March 2013 (UTC)

Never mind, I figured it out. Malke 2010 (talk) 00:40, 13 March 2013 (UTC)

Good Article Nominations Request For Comment[edit]

Symbol support vote.svg
A 'Request For Comment' for Good Article Nominations is currently being held. We are asking that you please take five to ten minutes to review all seven proposals that will affect Good Article Nominations if approved. Full details of each proposal can be found here. Please comment on each proposal (or as many as you can) here.

At this time, Proposal 1, 3, and 5 have received full (or close to) support.

If you have questions of anything general (not related to one specif proposal), please leave a message under the General discussion thread.

Please note that Proposal 2 has been withdrawn and no further comments are needed. Also, please disregard Proposal 9 as it was never an actual proposal.

WikiProject Good Articles Recruitment Centre[edit]

Good Article Recruitment - Completion Award.png
Hello! Now, some of you might be wondering why there is a Good article icon with a bunch of stars around (to the right). The answer? WikiProject Good articles will be launching a Recruitment Centre very soon! The centre will allow all users to be taught how to review Good article nominations by experts just like you! However, in order for the Recruitment Centre to open in the first place, we need some volunteers:
  • Recruiters: The main task of a recruiter is to teach users that have never reviewed a Good article nomination how to review one. To become a recruiter, all you have to do is meet this criteria. If we don't get at least 5-10 recruiters to start off with, the Recruitment Centre will not open. If interested, make sure you meet the criteria, read the process and add your name to the list of recruiters. (One of the great things about being a recruiter is that there is no set requirement of what must be taught and when. Instead, all the content found in the process section is a guideline of the main points that should be addressed during a recruitment session...you can also take an entire different approach if you wish!) If you think you will not have the time to recruit any users at this time but are still interested in becoming a recruiter, you can still add your name to the list of recruiters but just fill in the "Status" parameter with "Not Available".
  • Co-Director: The current Director for the centre is me (Dom497). Another user that would be willing to help with some of the tasks would be helpful. Tasks include making sure recruiters are doing what they should be (teaching!), making sure all recruitments are archived correctly, updating pages as needed, answering any questions, and distributing the feedback form. If interested, please contact me (Dom497).
  • Nominators, please read this: If you are not interested in becoming a recruiter, you can still help. In some cases a nominator may have an issue with an "inexperienced" editor (the recruitee) reviewing one of their nominations. To minimize the chances of this happening, if you are fine with a recruitee reviewing one of your nominations under the supervision of the recruiter, please add your name to the list at the bottom of this page. By adding your name to this list, chances are that your nomination will be reviewed more quickly as the recruitee will be asked to choose a nomination from the list of nominators that are OK with them reviewing the article.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to seeing this program bring new reviewers to the Good article community and all the positive things it will bring along.

A message will be sent out to all recruiters regarding the date when the Recruitment Centre will open when it is determined. The message will also contain some further details to clarify things that may be a bit confusing.--Dom497 (talk)

This message was sent out by --EdwardsBot (talk) 01:26, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

June 2013[edit]

Hello, I'm BracketBot. I have automatically detected that your edit to Copolymer may have broken the syntax by modifying 2 "{}"s. If you have, don't worry, just edit the page again to fix it. If I misunderstood what happened, or if you have any questions, you can leave a message on my operator's talk page.

List of unpaired brackets remaining on the page:
  • }}

Thanks, BracketBot (talk) 14:07, 26 June 2013 (UTC)

2nd Annual Wikimedia New England General Meeting[edit]

You are invited to the 2nd Annual Wikimedia New England General Meeting, on 20 July 2013 in Boston! We will be talking about the future of the chapter, including GLAM, Wiki Loves Monuments, and where we want to take our chapter in the future! EdwardsBot (talk) 09:29, 16 July 2013 (UTC)

DYK RfC[edit]

  • As a listed GA participant, you are invited to contribute to a formal Request for Comment on the question of whether Good Articles should be eligible to appear in the Did You Know? slot in future. Please see the proposal on its subpage here, or on the main DYK talk page. To add the discussion to your watchlist, click this link. Thank you in advance. Gilderien Chat|Contributions03:15, 1 August 2013 (UTC)

Re:Polymer[edit]

Dear Walkerma; first of all, let me apologise for this belated reply to User talk:Vanischenu#Polymer (I failed to notify). Since I did not know IPA, I requested help from the language reference desk (here) and got some helpful answers. They also corrected the IPA (diff); is it okay now? Thanks and regards.···Vanischenu「m/Talk」 19:15, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

Wittig reaction, Schlosser modification[edit]

Hello homie, great to see your work in chemistry articles here! Could you perhaps have these images in a high-resolution PNG or in an SVG?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Corey_Schlosser_Wittig.gif https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Schlosser_Wittig.gif

Although it would perhaps mean drawing them yourself.

But if you're busy with academic stuff, don't worry; I can put them under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Chemistry/Image_Request.

Hope you have happy days in the university! Cheers.

Georginho (talk) 22:36, 3 October 2013 (UTC)

I have had a lot of marking this weekend, but I'll try to do a higher resolution PNG this week - somewhere I should have the original files. I'm puzzled, though - why aren't the existing resolutions high enough? Surely they're big enough for the articles in which they appear? Please ping me here if I don't get them done by Friday. All the best, Walkerma (talk) 03:48, 7 October 2013 (UTC)
Apparently according to the style guide, they want them to be PNG or SVG. I personally don't bother redrawing GIF and JPEG images that are already clear enough. But I do message the creators if it's possible to convert the images in case they have the original files. It's because I think it's quick enough to open the file and save it in PNG.
But like I said, don't worry if you're busy. Wiki isn't a job. You can do it when you have free time. I personally agree that your images are clear enough. I'm just listing images in chemistry articles to convert per the style guide.
Cheers!
Georginho (talk) 18:49, 3 November 2013 (UTC)

Responded on my talk page[edit]

Hi, just a quick ping that I got around to responding to your comments on my talk page about the A-class articles. I'm really curious to learn more about the stories around assessment in Wikipedia, so that's partly why I got in touch again. Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 16:44, 22 October 2013 (UTC)

GAN December 2013 Backlog Drive[edit]

Symbol support vote.svg
Hello! A GAN Backlog Drive will begin in less than 4 days!

In past Backlog Drives, the goal was to reduce the backlog of Good article nominations. In the upcoming drive, another goal will be added - raising as much money as we can for the Wikimedia Foundation. How will this work? Well, its pretty simple. Any user interested in donating can submit a pledge at the Backlog Drive page (linked above). The pledge should mention the amount of money the user is willing to donate per review. For example, if a user pledges 5 cents per review and 100 nominations are reviewed, the total donation amount is $5.00.

At the time this message was sent out, two users have submitted pledges for a total of 8 cents per review. All pledges, no matter how much money, are greatly appreciated. Also, in no way is this saying you must make a pledge.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or leave a message on the Backlog Drive talk page. And remember, there are less than 4 days before the drive starts!--EdwardsBot (talk) 03:19, 27 November 2013 (UTC)

GAN December 2013 Backlog Drive[edit]

Symbol support vote.svg
Hello! Just a friendly reminder that the GAN Backlog Drive has begun and will end on December 31, 2013!

If you know anyone outside of the WikiProject that may be interested, feel free to invite them to the drive!

If you have any questions or want to comment about something regarding the drive, post them here--EdwardsBot (talk) 00:12, 3 December 2013 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Walkerma. You have new messages at Talk:Guttman Community College.
Message added 14:27, 5 December 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Collaboration with PubChem[edit]

Hi Martin, I would appreciate your comments on a potential collaboration with PubChem. Thanks! -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 22:46, 6 December 2013 (UTC)

Martin, you may also want to check the ChemID page as they are considering include CAS numbers, it seems. Egonw (talk) 22:50, 6 December 2013 (UTC)

New England Wikipedia Day @ MIT: Saturday Jan 18[edit]

NE Meetup #4: January 18 at MIT Building 5
Wikimedia New England logo.svg

Dear Fellow Wikimedian,

You have been invited to the New England Wikimedians 2014 kick-off party and Wikipedia Day Celebration at Building Five on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus on Saturday, January 18th, from 3-5 PM. Afterwards, we will be holding an informal dinner at a local restaurant. If you are curious to join us, please do so, as we are always looking for people to come and give their opinion! Finally, be sure to RSVP here if you're interested.

I hope to see you there! Kevin Rutherford (talk)

(You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.)

March 2014 GAN Backlog Drive[edit]

It's that time again! Starting on March 1, there will be another GAN Backlog Drive! There will be several changes compared to previous drives:

  • This drive will introduce a new component to it; a point system. In a nutshell, older nominations are worth more points than newer nominations. The top 3 participants who have the points will be awarded the Golden, Silver, or Bronze Wikipedia Puzzle Piece Trophy, respectively.
  • Unlike the December 2013 Backlog Drive, earning an additional barnstar if you reached your goal has been removed.
  • The allowance to have insufficient reviews has been lowered to 2 before being disqualified.
  • An exception to the rule that all reviews must be completed before the deadline has been created.

Also, something that I thought I would share with all of you is that we raised $20.88 (USD) for the WMF in the December 2013 drive. It may not sound like a lot but considering that that was raised just because we reviewed articles, I would say that's pretty good! With that success, pledges can be made for the upcoming drive if you wish.

More info regarding the drive and full descriptions regarding the changes to this drive can be found on the the drive page. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a message on the drive talk page.

I look forward to your participation and hope that because of it, some day the backlog will be gone!

--Dom497

--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:58, 22 February 2014 (UTC)

You're invited: Women's History Edit-a-thons in Massachusetts this March[edit]

Women's History Edit-a-thons in Massachusetts this March - You are invited!
We Can Edit.jpg
New England Wikimedians is excited to announce a series of Wikipedia edit-a-thons that will be taking place at colleges and universities throughout Massachusetts as part of Wikiwomen's History Month from March 1 - March 31. We encourage you to join in an edit-a-thon near you, or to participate remotely if you are unable to attend in person (for the full list of articles, click here). Events are currently planned for the cities/towns of Boston, Northampton, South Hadley, and Cambridge. Further information on dates and locations can be found on our user group page.
Questions? Contact Girona7 (talk)

GAN March 2014 Backlog Drive[edit]

The March 2014 GAN Backlog Drive has begun and will end on April 1, 2014! Sent by Dom497 on behalf of MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:01, 1 March 2014 (UTC)

tb[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Walkerma. You have new messages at Dank's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

- Dank (push to talk) 13:28, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

Your edits on the page count graph[edit]

Hi Walkerma; Your edits related to this page count graph suggested you might know how it was created. My interest is to prepare some data for a new edit for the "Wikipedia" page on trends in the growth of Pages for each level of quality assessment. Could you let me know if there is an easy way to make this chart print out its results for 2013, 2012, 2011, etc, for end of year. If you could show me how to do 2010, for example, then I should be able to do the rest. I only need the last 7-8 years. Any comment would be an assist! Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/Statistics (The graph comes out with double curly brackets placed around the linked Page name.) FelixRosch (talk) 19:29, 17 March 2014 (UTC)

Thanks for your note. Since the comment above, I have found a Page for "Featured_article_statistics" and one for "Good_article_statistics", yet none for the other rows in the graph table which you help to maintain. You mentioned reminding you if you have any thoughts on getting the history of the data stats for the edit I described to enhance the "Wikipedia" page. FelixRosch (talk) 20:27, 25 March 2014 (UTC)

You're invited![edit]

NE Meetup #5: April 19th at Clover Food Lab in Kendall Square
Wikimedia New England logo.svg

Dear Fellow Wikimedian,

New England Wikimedians would like to invite you to the April 2014 meeting, which will be a small-scale meetup of all interested Wikimedians from the New England area. We will socialize, review regional events from the beginning of the year, look ahead to regional events of 2014, and discuss other things of interest to the group. Be sure to RSVP here if you're interested.

Also, if you haven't done so already, please consider signing up for our mailing list and connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.

We hope to see you there!

Kevin Rutherford (talk) and Maia Weinstock (talk)

(You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.)

Edit-a-thon invite[edit]

IUPAC definition quote-boxes[edit]

Did anything ever come out of this: User talk:Amr94#Adding IUPAC definitions? I just removed a few where they seemed especially off-topic (not really chemistry) or non-universal (not in agreement or over-reliance when multiple organizations are relevant) before seeing this attempt to discuss. DMacks (talk) 17:29, 3 May 2014 (UTC)

Adrianne Wadewitz Memorial edit-a-thons[edit]

Adrianne Wadewitz edit-a-thons in Southern New England
Wikimania 2012 portrait 102 by ragesoss, 2012-07-13.JPG

As you may have already heard, the Wikipedia community lost an invaluable member of the community last month. Adrianne Wadewitz was a feminist scholar of 18th-Century British literature, and a prolific editor of the site. As part of a worldwide series of tributes, New England Wikimedians, in conjunction with local institutions of higher learning, have created three edit-a-thons that will be occurring in May and June. The events are as follows:

We hope that you will be able to join us, whether you are an experienced editor or are using Wikipedia for the first time.

If you have any questions, please leave a message at Kevin Rutherford's talk page. You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.

New England Wikimedians summer events![edit]

Upcoming events hosted by New England Wikimedians!

After many months of doubt, nature has finally warmed up and summer is almost here! The New England Wikimedians user group have planned some upcoming events. This includes some unique and interesting events to those who are interested:

Although we also aren't hosting this year's Wikimania, we would like to let you know that Wikimania this year will be occurring in London in August:

If you have any questions, please leave a message at Kevin Rutherford's talk page. You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.

New England Wikimedians summer events![edit]

Upcoming events hosted by New England Wikimedians!

After many months of doubt, nature has finally warmed up and summer is almost here! The New England Wikimedians user group have planned some upcoming events. This includes some unique and interesting events to those who are interested:

Although we also aren't hosting this year's Wikimania, we would like to let you know that Wikimania this year will be occurring in London in August:

If you have any questions, please leave a message at Kevin Rutherford's talk page. You can unsubscribe from future notifications for Boston-area events by removing your name from this list.