- See also User talk:Y/Archive
Deletion of Yazan Halwani article- Establishing Significance and Notability
With regards to the deletion of the article on Yazan Halwani, pleases note that he is a person (as sources below indicate) and that the article conforms with the notability guidelines. The main newspapers and publications in Lebanon have independently written on him. Television stations have also interviewed him independently. He has also been the subject of many blog articles written by independent bloggers. You can find material on him in English, French and Arabic. All notability guidelines are met: significant coverage (multiple articles on Yazan Halwani specifically), reliability (very reliable and leading publications in Lebanon such as Daily Star, Annahar & L'Orient le Jour), sources (presented below and secondary), independent of the subject (written independently by the various authors) & presumed. Please find below the sources I refer to above (that allow you to see that he is a person and that he conforms with wikipedia's notability guidelines):
L’Orient le Jour (http://www.lorientlejour.com/article/823065/yazan-halwani-fait-ricaner-les-murs-de-joumhouriat-al-mawz-.html) Courrier International (http://www.courrierinternational.com/article/2013/07/25/yazan-halwani-sur-un-cedre-perche)
Interview with Yazan on Future Television (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIc_1_U5L9w)
Interview with Yazan Halwani on LBCI for Guiness World Record graffiti
Oasis Magazine Blog (http://oasis-mag.blogspot.com/2013/08/oasis-magazine-issue-24-cover-artist.html)
Visual Therapy (http://www.visualtherapyonline.com/?p=28194)
Abir Ghattas Blog (http://abirghattas.com/bliss-streets-ali-abdallah-yazans-graffiti-art/)
Jaqueline Hadel Blog (http://jacquelinemhadel.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/beirut-street-art-yazan-halwani-tasso/ & http://jacquelinemhadel.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/beirut-street-art-calligraphy-door-by-yazan-halwani/)
Tiziana Cauli Blog (http://tizianacauli.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/painting-the-wall/)
Rana Jarbou Blog (http://ranajarbou.blogspot.com/2013/08/blog-post.html)
Manchester School of Samba Blog (http://msamba.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/beirut-street-art-calligraphy-door-by-yazan-halwani/)
Can we please include the article?
Deletion of Barstool Sports
Y- Wikipedia needs to stop deleting Barstool Sports' page. As a media personality, its founder has been featured on 20/20, Inside Edition, ESPN, and dozens of other sources. It is a top 5000 site in the world, responsible for Jenna Marbles popularity, and its concert tours have exposed then up and coming artists like Avicii and Mac Miller. It's a cultural mainstay in Boston and within the University scene nationwide. I fail to understand why the article was deleted. While in its current form it was phenomenally crude, I'm sure with time it would have been rapidly brought to Wikipedia's standards. A quick check of facebook finds that it has more likes than deadspin. The Inquirer and Mirror newspaper on Nantucket has a page that isn't slated for deletion, and that only has 10,000 readers daily during peak tourist season. Barstool is the 903rd highest viewed site in the US according to Alexa and reaches 2m viewers each month. How is that not relevant? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 12:51, 30 August 2013 (UTC)
Y - I second what the user above posted. Barstool Sports is highly notable throughout the Boston area. It has certainly grown significantly in its reach and the stories it breaks since 2009. I'd call to question whether your distaste for the Boston Red Sox likewise conflicts with any fair deletion discussion initiated by yourself. Wikipedia should have a page for Barstool Sports; to delete it on the grounds that it was deleted years ago is akin to deleting a page about The New York Times at its founding and deleting all attempts to recreate it even after it became the country's most widely read newspaper decades later. There's a real problem with that logic. I just a moment ago came to Wikipedia to look up information on it and was shocked to find no entry and that a recent attempt to create one was deleted. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 18:51, 22 October 2013 (UTC)
The Signpost: 28 August 2013
- News and notes: Looking ahead to Wiki Loves Monuments
- Traffic report: Reddit creep
- WikiProject report: Loop-the-loop: Amusement Parks
- Featured content: WikiCup update, and the gardens of Finland
- Technology report: Gallery improvements launch on Wikipedia
- Recent research: WikiSym 2013 retrospective
Wikipedia Takes Brooklyn! Saturday September 7
|Please join Wikipedia Takes Brooklyn scavenger hunt on September 7, 2013!
Everyone gather at the Brooklyn Public Library to further Wikipedia's coverage of—
photos and articles related to Brooklyn, its neighborhoods and the local landmarks.
The Signpost: 04 September 2013
- WikiProject report: Writing on the frontier: Psychology on Wikipedia
- Traffic report: No accounting for the wisdom of crowds
- Featured content: Bridging the way to a Peasants' Revolt
- Arbitration report: Manning naming dispute case opens; Tea Party case closes ; Infoboxes nears completion
- Technology report: Making Wikipedia more accessible
The Signpost: 11 September 2013
- In the media: Lawyer goes to court to discover Wikipedian's identity; Storming Wikipedia; Wikimedia UK Secretary in conflict-of-interest controversy; Does Wikipedia need a "right to reply" box?
- WikiProject report: Traveling to Indonesia
- Traffic report: Syria, celebrities, and association football: oh my!
- Featured content: Tintin goes featured
- Arbitration report: Workshop phase opens in Manning naming dispute ; Infoboxes case closes
Deletion of Barstool Sports, 2nd post
Still no reply re: Barstool Sports. I'd like some clarification on this, as it would certainly seem to meet Wikipedia's guidelines for relevancy. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 18:47, 13 September 2013 (UTC)
- I closed the deletion debate in accordance with this encyclopedia's policies. Feel free to appeal my actions at wikipedia:deletion review -- Y not? 19:07, 13 September 2013 (UTC)
Are you free next Thursday? Join us at the Wikimedia DC WikiSalon!
The WikiSalon is an informal gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts, who come together to discuss the Wikimedia projects and collaboratively edit. There's no set agenda, and guests are welcome to recommend articles for the group to edit or edit on their own. Light refreshments will be provided.
The Signpost: 18 September 2013
- Traffic report: Twerking, tragedy and TV
- WikiProject report: 18,464 Good Articles on the wall
- Featured content: Hurricane Diane and Van Gogh
- Technology report: What can Wikidata do for Wikipedia?
The Signpost: 25 September 2013
- Traffic report: Look on Walter's works
- WikiProject report: Babel Series: GOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!
- Featured content: Wikipedia takes the stage
Why did you delete page Abi Sampa?
Can you please tell me why you deleted page 'Abi Sampa'? I am a new editor but was there something wrong with it? I thought I followed all the guidelines?
- I didn't. It's still here: Wikipedia talk:Articles for creation/Abi Sampa -- Y not? 17:06, 30 September 2013 (UTC)
Wikimedia NYC Meetup! Saturday October 5
|Please join the Wikimedia NYC Meetup on October 5, 2013!
Everyone gather at Jefferson Market Library to further Wikipedia's local outreach
for education, museums, libraries and planning WikiConference USA.
--Pharos (talk) 22:01, 1 October 2013 (UTC)
The Signpost: 02 October 2013
- News and notes: WMF signals new grantmaking priorities
- Discussion report: References to individuals and groups, merging wikiprojects, portals on the Main page, and more
- WikiProject report: U2 Too
- Featured content: Bobby, Ben, Roger and a fantasia
- Arbitration report: Infoboxes: After the war
Are you free on Sunday? Join us for a special Wikimedia DC WikiSalon!
Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for a special WikiSalon at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library's Digital Commons Center. We will gather at 3 PM on Sunday, October 13, 2013 to discuss an important topic: what can Wikipedia and the DC area do to help each other? We hope to hear your thoughts and suggestions; if you have an idea you would like to pursue, please let us know and we will help!
Following the WikiSalon, we will be having dinner at a nearby restaurant, Ella's Wood Fired Pizza.
The Signpost: 09 October 2013
- News and notes: Extensive network of clandestine paid advocacy exposed
- Traffic report: Shutdown shenanigans
- In the media: College credit for editing Wikipedia
- WikiProject report: Australian Roads
- Arbitration report: Manning naming dispute and Ebionites 3 cases continue; third arbitrator resigns
- Featured content: Under the sea
The Signpost: 16 October 2013
- News and notes: Vice on Wiki-PR's paid advocacy; Featured list elections begin
- WikiProject report: Heraldry and Vexillology
- Traffic report: Peaceful potpourri
- Discussion report: Ada Lovelace Day, paid advocacy on Wikipedia, sidebar update, and more
- Featured content: That's a lot of pictures
- Arbitration report: Manning naming dispute case closes
The Signpost: 23 October 2013
- News and notes: Grantmaking season—rumblings in the German-language community
- In the media: The decline of Wikipedia; Sue Gardner releases statement on Wiki-PR; Australian minister relies on Wikipedia
- Featured content: Your worst nightmare as a child is now featured on Wikipedia
- Traffic report: Your average week ... and a fish
- Discussion report: More discussion of paid advocacy, upcoming arbitrator elections, research hackathon, and more
- WikiProject report: WikiProject Elements
Books and Bytes: The Wikipedia Library Newsletter
The Signpost: 30 October 2013
- News and notes: Sex and drug tourism—Wikivoyage's soft underbelly?
- Traffic report: 200 miles in 200 years
- In the media: Rand Paul plagiarizes Wikipedia?
- WikiProject report: Special: Lessons from the dead and dying
- Featured content: Wrestling with featured content
- Recent research: User influence on site policies: Wikipedia vs. Facebook vs. Youtube
Gabriel of Komana
Hi, You reverted the successor of Gabriel of Komana in his article. I'm fairly sure that the information was correct, but I can't confirm it via a RS. Just a note that the way you phrased the removal could be read as making fun of someones name. No biggy, but if you can find a RS for who the successor is, that would be great. Hobit (talk) 23:00, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
- Getcha Job sounded like vandalism. Mockery of the dead subject. -- Y not? 00:06, 4 November 2013 (UTC)
- I agree, but it turns out he's a fairly well-known theologian. I can't confirm he is the successor, but it seems likely and was added by what looks like a good editor. Hobit (talk) 00:15, 4 November 2013 (UTC)
Ygnacio López Mendoza
If I add López Mendoza to the article, am I inmediatelly allowed to do the redirect? The guy was killed between Wednesday and yesterday during the drug war, I believe that we all agree that it was not an accident as he had signs of torture.--Andres arg (talk) 22:58, 8 November 2013 (UTC)
- Sure -- Y not? 04:21, 9 November 2013 (UTC)
The Signpost: 06 November 2013
- Featured content: Five years of work leads to 63-article featured topic
- WikiProject report: WikiProject Accessibility
- Traffic report: Danse Macabre
- Discussion report: Sockpuppet investigations, VisualEditor, Wikidata's birthday, and more
- Arbitration report: Ebionites 3 case closed
- No fucking way. I barely have enough time to coach soccer. Can you imagine me wading through tl;dr evidence and imposing topic bans on unruly axe-grinders? I have less than zero interest in that job. I wouldn't run if someone offered to pay me. Besides for which, I obviously have no chance whatsoever of getting elected, what with my checkered past and penchant for IAR. But <3 u for the comedic suggestion! -- Y not? 15:53, 12 November 2013 (UTC)
The Signpost: 13 November 2013
- Traffic report: Google Doodlebugs bust the block
- Discussion report: Commas, Draft namespace proposal, education updates, and more
- WikiProject report: The world of soap operas
- Featured content: 1244 Chinese handscroll leads nine-strong picture contingent
The Signpost: 20 November 2013
- From the editor: The Signpost needs your help
- Traffic report: Ill Winds
- Arbitration report: Arbitration Committee election opens; WMF opens the door for non-admin arbitrators
- WikiProject report: Score! American football on Wikipedia
- Featured content: Rockin' the featured pictures
Wikimedia NYC Meetup- "Queens Open History Edit-a-Thon" at Queens Library! Friday December 6
|Please join Queens Open History Edit-a-Thon on December 6, 2013!
Everyone gather at Queens Library to further Wikipedia's local outreach
for borough articles on the history and the communities.
Drop-ins welcome 10am-7pm!--Pharos (talk) ~~~~~