Utah State Route 218
|Maintained by UDOT|
|Length:||8.22 mi (13.23 km)|
|Existed:||(1933–1941 as part of SR-142)
1941 – present
|West end:||SR‑23 east of Newton|
|East end:||US‑91 in Smithfield|
State Route 218 (SR-218) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Utah. Spanning 8.2 miles (13.2 km), it serves as an east/west rural connector, connecting the town of Newton on SR-23 with the city of Smithfield on US-91 in Cache County.
State Route 218 begins just east of the town of Newton in Cache County. Other than the ends of the route entering towns, the entire route passes through farmland. Beginning as an extension of Main Street (SR-23), it travels southeast about 1.1 miles (1.8 km) before turning due east, crossing a northern arm of Cutler Reservoir and passing the town of Amalga. Just after passing Amalga, the route takes a short jog to the southeast and crosses a bridge over the Bear River. From there, the route continues to the east and enters the city of Smithfield on 100 North, where it ends at its intersection with Main Street (US-91).
The road from Newton east to Smithfield was first added to the state highway system in 1933 as part of SR-142, which approached the west side of Newton from the south, then turned east to travel through the town and continued east to Smithfield. In 1941, SR-142 was rerouted to exit Newton to the northwest (toward Clarkston), so the former routing along Main Street through Newton was redesignated as SR-218. In 1953, SR-23 was designated, incorporating the southern approach of SR-142 to Newton, SR-218 through the center of Newton, and leaving Newton to the northeast along what was then SR-192. As a result, State Route 218 was shortened by approximately 1 mile (1.6 km), as it now started on the east end of the town.
The entire route is in Cache County.
|Smithfield||8.223||13.234||US‑91 (Main Street)||Eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "State Route 218 Highway resolutions" (PDF). Utah Department of Transportation. November 2008. Retrieved 29 Feb 2012.
- "State Route 218 Highway reference" (PDF). Utah Department of Transportation. 29 Dec 2008. Retrieved 29 Feb 2012.
- Google Inc. "Utah State Route 218". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.845141,-111.928196&spn=0.077239,0.122395&t=m&z=13. Retrieved 29 Feb 2012.
- Utah State Legislature (1933). "Chapter 30". Session Laws of Utah. "(142) From route 69 at Peterboro north to Newton thence easterly to Smithfield."
- Utah State Legislature (1941). "Chapter 34". Session Laws of Utah. "Route 142. From route 69 at Peterboro north via Newton and Clarkston to the Clarkston cemetery."
- Utah State Legislature (1941). "Chapter 34". Session Laws of Utah. "Route 218. From route 142 in Newton easterly to route 1 in Smithfield."
- Utah State Legislature (1953). "Chapter 45: Designation of State Roads". Session Laws of Utah. "Route 142. From route 23 at Newton to Clarkston, at junction of route 170."
- Utah State Legislature (1953). "Chapter 45: Designation of State Roads". Session Laws of Utah. "Route 218. From route 23 east of Newton easterly to route 1 in Smithfield."
- Utah State Legislature (1935). "Chapter 37: Designation of State Roads". Session Laws of Utah. "Route 192. From Cornish on route 61 southerly to junction with route 142 near Newton."
- Google Inc. "Close-up of old SR-218 bridge". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+100+N&daddr=UT-218+W%2FW+100+N&hl=en&ll=41.840505,-111.881965&spn=0.004828,0.00765&sll=41.84188,-111.880474&sspn=0.038622,0.061197&geocode=FfRnfgIdBpJV-Q%3BFQRxfgIdxNRU-Q&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=14&t=h&z=17. Retrieved 29 Feb 2012.