Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma
|Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma|
|Titular Maharajah of Travancore (monarchy abolished)|
His Highness Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma
|Full name||His Highness Sri Padmanabha Dasa Vanchipala Marthanda Varma, Kulasekhara Kiritapati Manney Sultan Maharaja Raja Ramaraja Bahadur, Shamsher Jang, Titular Maharajah of Travancore|
|Born||22 March 1922|
|Died||16 December 2013
|Place of death||Thiruvananthapuram|
|Predecessor||Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma[Monarch]|
|Successor||Moolam Thirunal Rama Varma (titular)|
|Consort||Shrimathi Radha Devi Panapilla Amma Kochamma|
|Issue||Ananthapadmanabhan Thampi and Parvati Devi Thankachi|
|Royal House||Venad Swaroopam|
|Royal motto||Dharmoasmad Kuladaivadam|
|Father||Ravi Varma Kochu Koil Thampuran|
|Mother||H.H. Sethu Parvathi Bayi|
|Kingdom of Travancore|
|Part of History of Kerala|
|Gowri Lakshmi Bayi||1810–1815|
|Gowri Parvati Bayi‡||1815–1829|
|Sethu Lakshmi Bayi‡||1924–1931|
|‡ Regent Queens|
H.H. Sree Padmanabhadasa Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma (22 March 1922 – 16 December 2013) was the titular Maharaja of Travancore. He was the younger brother of the last ruling monarch of the Kingdom of Travancore, Maharajah Chitra Thirunal Rama Varma.
Born as the youngest son of H.H. Maharani Sethu Parvathi Bayi and Ravi Varma Koyi Thamapuran on March 22, 1922. Sree Uthradom Thirunal was educated privately by a group of 14 tutors in various subjects. He later graduated from the then Travancore University with Economics, Politics and History as specialisations in 1943. He was the recipient of the Moncombu Aandi Iyer Gold Medal for the best student in Sanskrit from the varsity. He was respected for his erudition.
Titular Maharajah of Travancore
H.H. Uthradom Thirunal became head of the Travancore royal family after his elder brother and the last monarch of Travancore Sree Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma passed away in 1991. As a Titular Maharaja, Uthradom Thirunal had no real administrative power but was a popular figure in Travancore, and had daily engagements with regards to bestowing awards and opening functions. He also maintained his ritual position at the Padmanabhaswamy Temple as the custodian of the temple, and was involved in events relating to this. H.H. Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma will be succeeded by H.H. Sree Padmanabhadasa Sree Moolam Thirunal Rama Varma Kulasekhara Kiritapati Manney Sultan Maharaja Raja Ramaraja Bahadur, Shamsher Jang, Maharaja of Travancore his nephew and second son of Her Highness Sree Padmanabhasevini Vanchi Dharma Vardhini Raja Rajeshwari Karthika Thirunal Lakshmi Bayi Attingal Mootha Thampuran, Maharani of Travancore & her husband Lt.Col. Godavarma Raja/G.V.Raja.
- Trustee and "Dasa" of Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple
- Patron-in-Chief Thiruvananthapuram Kendra Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
- Chief Scout Travancore Boy Scouts Assoc, Travancore-Cochin Boy Scouts Assoc and Kerala Boy Scouts Assoc.
- Chief Patron Sneham Super Speciality Hospital Project
- Patron Sri Swati Thirunal Sangita Sabha since 1991
- Patron Shree Uthradom Tirunal Hospital (SUT)
- Patron Muthalamada Sneham Charitable Trust
- Patron Trivandrum Tennis Club (TTC) since 1938
- Patron Trivandrum Club
- Patron Trivandrum Friend-in-Need Soc
- Patron Ananthapuram Non-Resident's Association (ANORA)
H.H. Uthradom Thirunal joined the firm of Plymouth and Company at Bangalore in 1952, working there and also studying the functioning of industries at a basic level. He is the Chief Scout of the regional Boy Scout troop, and was also a patron of local hospitals and charities. He married Shrimati Radha Devi Panapillai Amma Kochamma, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Krishnan Gopinath Pandalai, MB, CM, FRCS, LRCP, late IMS, sometime Supt. of the Government General Hospital, Madras. He has a son, Ananthapadmanabhan Thampi and a daughter, Parvathi Devi Thankachi. Uthradom Thirunal resided at Pattom Palace, Trivandrum. A staunch vegetarian and teetotaller, he did not drink coffee or tea and hated smoking. A person with varied interests, he has to his credit several trophies won as an amateur horse rider at various places in the country. A keen sportsman, he used to play tennis, hockey, golf, football and polo. An ardent lover of photography, Uthradom Thirunal learned photography in 1934 when his brother, His Highness Sree Chithira Thirunal Bala Rama Varma Maharaja, presented him with a camera. The Roliflex camera gifted to him by his brother was among his prized possessions. Uthradom Thirunal had a collection of about 5000 negatives. His most favourite hobby is motoring. He has to his credit of driving more than 40 lakh miles in his Mercedes Benz 180 D and through crowded roads. He has won several medals from the Benz company at Stuttgart.
H.H. Uthradom Thirunal was hospitalised in early December 2013 following gastro-intestinal bleeding. He died of cardiac arrest at a private hospital in Thiruvananthapuram on 16 December 2013. The state government declared a public holiday on 16 December as a mark of respect to him. His wife predeceased him. He is survived by his two children, Ananthapadmanabhan Thampi and Parvati Devi Thankachi.
- 1922–1991: His Highness Maharajkumar Sri Marthanda Varma, Elaya Raja of Travancore
- 1991–2013: His Highness Sri Padmanabha Dasa Vanchipala Marthanda Varma, Kulasekhara Kiritapati Manney Sultan Maharaja Raja Ramaraja Bahadur, Shamsher Jang, Maharaja of Travancore
- King George V Silver Jubilee Medal, 1935
- King George VI Coronation Medal, 1937
- Indian Independence Medal, 1947
- Hon Col Travancore Univ Labour Corps
- Hon Lt Col The Maharaja's Bodyguard (Travancore-Cochin State Forces)
Mathrubhumi Books released a book named Thrippadi Daanam written by Uma Maheshwari featuring the biography of Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma. The book starts from the year 925 ME (1750 AD) when the Travancore King Anizham Thirunal Veerabaala Marthanda Varma surrendered his country to Sree Padmanabha through an act referred to as Thrippadi Daanam. The book also covers art- cultural lifestyle of Travancore rulers.
- The consort of the ruler was known as the Ammachi with the title of Panapillai Amma.
- The male and female children born to the Maharajah were dignified with the honorific of Thampi and Thankachi respectively.
- "Though by the 26th amendment to the Constitution, Article 363 was repealed whereby the rights and privileges of the rulers of Indian states were taken away, still the name and title of the rulers remained as such and unaffected in so far as names and titles were not contemplated as rights or privileges under the repealed Articles 291 and 362 of the Constitution."
- "Travancore bids adieu to its maharaja". Times Of India. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Sheshagiri, Sangeetha (December 16, 2013). "Marthanda Varma, Titular Head of Travancore Royal Family, Passes Away". International Business Times India. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Haneef, Mahir (2013-12-17). "'His Highness' isn't unconstitutional: Kerala high court". THE TIMES OF INDIA. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- "Though by the 26th amendment of the Constitution, Article 363 was repealed whereby the rights and privileges of the rulers of Indian States were taken away, still the name and title of the rulers remained as such and unaffected in so far as names and titles were not contemplated as rights or privileges under the repealed Articles 291 and 362 of the Constitution."
- The Royal family of Travancore followed the Marumakkathayam system of matrilineal succession like the Nairs of Kerala,when a king died his sister's son would become the next ruler.
- G. V. Raja
- "Uthradom Tirunal passes away - The Hindu". December 17, 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-23.
- Thousands pay their last tribute to Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma - THE TIMES OF INDIA, By Laxmi Ajai Prasanna, TNN | Dec 16, 2013 - "The state government declared a public holiday as a mark of respect to the late Maharajah. Chief Minister Oommen Chandy who was in Delhi for official work has planned to cut short his trip to attend his funeral here at the palace in the afternoon, though delayed he is expected to take part in the cremation. "
- Detailed biography
- "Thousands pay their last tribute to Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma" THE TIMES OF INDIA, Laxmi Ajai Prasanna, TNN | Dec 16, 2013
- [outlookindia.com MEMORIES Peach Ammavan http://www.outlookindia.com/printarticle.aspx?288940 by LAKSHMI BAYI NALAPAT]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma.|
Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda VarmaBorn: 22 March 1922
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
Maharaja of Travancore
Reason for succession failure:
Moolam Thirunal Rama Varma