Utica Memorial Auditorium
|Utica Memorial Auditorium|
|Location||400 Oriskany Street West
Utica, New York, USA 13502
|Broke ground||April 15, 1957|
|Opened||March 9, 1960|
|Owner||Upper Mohawk Valley Memorial Auditorium Authority|
|Operator||Upper Mohawk Valley Memorial Auditorium Authority|
|Construction cost||$4.5 million
($35.9 million in 2014 dollars)
|Architect||Gehron & Seltzer|
|Structural engineer||Lev Zetlin & Associates|
|Capacity||5,700 (floor events)
|Utica Comets (AHL) (2013-present)
Utica College Pioneers (NCAA) (2000-present)
Utica Devils (AHL) (1987-1993)
Utica Bulldogs (CoHL) (1993-1994)
Utica Blizzard (UHL) (1993-1997)
Mohawk Valley Prowlers (UHL) (1997-2002)
Scenes from the 1977 film Slap Shot starring Paul Newman were shot at The Aud. The original center-hung scoreboard, as seen in the movie, was unusual in that the game time was kept by a digital clock, while the penalty time was kept by analog clocks. This was eventually replaced by a center-hung scoreboard designed by Eversan, which includes a one-line messageboard. The Aud also has the distinction of being the location of the one of the last scheduled Elvis Presley concerts. The concert was scheduled to be on Friday, August 19, 1977, but Presley died on August 16th, 1977.
The Utica Aud is home to the Utica College Pioneers, Mohawk Valley Community College Hawks, The Skating Club of Utica and several high school varsity ice hockey teams. It has been the former home for the Mohawk Valley Stars/Comets of the Atlantic Coast Hockey League, the Utica Devils of the American Hockey League, the Utica Bulldogs/Blizzard and Mohawk Valley Prowlers of the United Hockey League, and the Mohawk Valley IceCats of the North Eastern Hockey League.
On June 14, 2013 it was announced that the Vancouver Canucks AHL farm team will be relocating to the Utica Memorial Auditorium for the 2013-2014 season as the Utica Comets. The AHL has a strong presence in Western and Central New York State and this will further boost the league's strength in the northeast while further cutting down on travel expenses.
High School Sports
Every year the Utica Memorial Auditorium host the New York State ice hockey semi finals and finals around the first week of march. On March 9–10, 1973, Utica Memorial Auditorium hosted the 11th NYSPHSAA state wrestling tournament. The annual tournament has not returned to Utica since.
- Romano, Paul; Romano, David (May 23, 2009). "Guest View: The Aud Turns 50". Observer-Dispatch (Utica). Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2014. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Utica Memorial Auditorium History". Upper Mohawk Valley Memorial Auditorium Authority. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Utica Memorial Auditorium named Civil Engineering Landmark". WKTV (Utica). August 30, 2011. Retrieved August 31, 2010.
- "Utica Memorial Auditorium". American Society of Civil Engineers. Retrieved August 31, 2010.
- "Utica Comets Announced as Local AHL Team". WKTV (Utica). June 14, 2013. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
University of Denver Arena
|Host of the
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts