|Alma mater||Gauhati University|
Utpal Datta is a National Film Award-winning film critic, who has been associated with Bismoi, an entertainment Assamese magazine, Rangghar- cultural monthly and Roopkar-Cultural Monthly and later joined the All India Radio Guwahati, where his book 24 Frames (2008), an anthology of articles on Indian cinema, was released as a radio program.
Utpal Datta (Birthday: 9 January) did his Masters in Arts from Guwahati University. Later he did Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management. He started his career as a Local Reporter in Natun Asomiya (weekly newspaper. Later he joined Roopakar as Photographer and Reporter and later joined Sub Editor of Bismoi, the largest circulated monthly of North East and Assistant Editor of Rangghar – a cultural monthly published from Bismoi Prakashan.
For few years he represented Assam as a special correspondent to Cinema India International. At present he is working with All India Radio at Guwahati station, the public service broadcaster of India, in the capacity of Programme Executive. He has served other AIR stations like Dibrugarh, Nagaon, Williamnagar, Haflong and Guwahati. He is married to Namrata Datta, a writer and both of them stay at Guwahati with their daughter Ragamala. He has directed one Impressionistic Short Film 'By-Lane2' based on the works of Noted Assamese Film Journalist Pabitra Kumar Deka. The film has been selected for several Film Festivals and for Indian Panorama 2013. His second film is THROUGH TRUST AND FEAR based on philosophy of an eminent Assamese writer NIRUPAMA BARGOHAIN. This film was produced by Mihir Goswami. After this film he made another film - BORGEET - Eti Dhrupadi Ratna is based on the borgeets of Assam.
Published books – original work
- His first published book was Ami Kene Aacho, a short-length play written for environmental theatre. The theme of the play was youth unrest set in a small-town environment.
- Then he tried to explore a new ground for his writing with a travelogue Aparupa Andaman, which first appeared in one of the leading Assamese journals PRANTIK and later came in a book form and was marked as an instant hit.
- Then he came with his novel Naishajatri based on day and night life of working women of Guwahati. That book was also a hit for his unique writing style and contemporary theme. In this book he used style from film, radio play and journalistic prose to find out his own way of expression.
- Mozartor Swaralipi is his only detective novel, later adapted to radio play and TV serial in Assamese and Hindi languages.
- Though he is primarily known as a film critic and his first book on film writings came vary late. His first book on film study is Chalachitra, an anthology of articles written on various aspects of film of the State and the country. The book was published by one major publisher of the state, Lawyer's book stall.
- Ki Naam Ei Premar – a novel, based on a real-life love story
- Maramar Neha – Novel written in a format of letter, translated into Bodo Language also
- Cine-Quiz – an descriptive quiz book on film
Published books – edited
- Chalachtra Katha – Film study, Ist Assamese book on film
- Ekhan Swasa Mukhare – poems of Nabakata Baruah
- Nabakanta Baruar Uapnyash Samagra – Novels of Nabakata Baruah
- Satikar Srestha Premar Galpa – Selected Assamese love stories of 20th Century
- Soi Dasakar Gadya – selected prose of Bhabedra Nath Saikia
- Sampadakar Kothlait – Bhabendra Nath Saikia's satirical writings
- Nobel Bota Bijoyi Lekhakar Galpa – translated stories from Nobel Laureates
- Amar Chinaki Tassaduk – Anthology of articles written on Assamese Actor – Director Tassaduk Usuf.
- Anirban – Screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Kalasandhya – Screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Agnisnan – Screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Kolahal – Screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Abartan – Screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Itihash – Screenplay by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Sandhyarag – Screenplay by Bhabendra Nath Saikia
- Ganje Fariste - selected writings by SADAT HASAN MANTOO
- CHALACHITRA - Samoi-Samaj-Nandanttwa Essays on Film
Published books – translated
- Tuglak and Nagamandala – two plays by Girish Karnad, Tuglak was staged by Seagull group under Bhagirathi's direction.
- Matra Ata Sparshatei Barashun Diya Megh translation of K Satchidanandan's selected poems.
- Original Play – Godmother, based on women in politics – staged by Hengool Theatre
- Adopted play – Kanchan – based on sexual harassment on women in office, staged by Hengool for two continuous years, one of the major play in touring professional theatre of Assam
- Translated play – Ayn Rand's Night of 16 January – staged by Aikatan, Guwahati Dooradarshan telecasted this play to observe world theatre day.
- RAPA Award for Radio Production (along with Prabal Sarma on AIDS ORPHANS)
- Special Jury Mention for writing in Cinema at the National Film Awards
- Moonlight Media Award for Cultural Journalism
- Jyotirupa Media Award for Film Criticism
- Laadli Media Award for Radio Production
1. Served as Jury member for Excellence in Radio Award
2. Served as Jury member for Assam State Film Award
3. PANOS Media Fellow 2011
4. USEA Media Fellowship 2013
- AIR Guwahati to premier Utpal Datta's 24 Frames radioandmusic.com, 29 November 2008.
- 56th National Film Awards Press Information Bureau, Govt of India. 2008.