|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||East of England|
|Admin HQ||Saffron Walden|
|Incorporated||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district council|
|• Body||Uttlesford District Council|
|• Leadership||Alternative - Sec. 31 (Conservative)|
|• MPs||Alan Haselhurst|
|• Total||247.56 sq mi (641.18 km2)|
|Area rank||63rd (of 326)|
|Population (2011 est.)|
|• Rank||289th (of 326)|
|• Density||320/sq mi (120/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||95.4% White
1.1% Mixed Race
0.9% Chinese or Other
|Time zone||GMT (UTC0)|
|• Summer (DST)||BST (UTC+1)|
|ONS code||22UQ (ONS)
|OS grid reference||TL541387|
Apart from considerable agriculture, retail and office premises in towns, Uttlesford District includes London Stansted Airport, which is its largest employer. For more detailed analysis of strengths and specializations in the economy see individual settlements, for instance the article: Saffron Walden. In October 2008, the airport won a 40% increase in permitted flights under the flight cap which operates in relation to the airport, from the UK government.
Aside from countryside hotels close to and aircraft maintenance vital to Stansted Airport, airlines have also used a small adjoining business park. Titan Airways has its head office in the Enterprise House in the grounds in Stansted Mountfitchet.
Several airlines, including Buzz, AirUK (later KLM uk), AB Airlines, Go Fly had its head office at the Enterprise House. and Lloyd International Airways had their head offices on the property of Stansted Airport.
The district has the highest average house price of the 14 districts in the ceremonial county or 12 districts in the Essex County Council administered county. In terms of change: to Autumn 2012, Uttlesford had the 2nd highest quarterly increase after the Borough of Basildon and 2nd highest annually after the Borough of Chelmsford, both exceeding 5%. As a whole the county has a wide range in house prices, with Uttlesford's average house price only 0.85% greater than in Epping Forest District and 203% greater than the lowest-ranked Tendring district of Essex.
House prices were among the top 10 local authorities for resilience in having returned to or exceeded 2007 levels in a 2011 statistical analysis by The Times.
In May 2006, a report commissioned by British Gas showed that housing in Uttlesford produced the highest average carbon emissions in the country at 8,092 kg of carbon dioxide per dwelling. In response the council stated
We try and lead by example but there is nothing else we can do to get people to save energy
Uttlesford council has, however, introduced a planning permission condition requiring certain energy conservation measures to be taken when homes are extended, and has a number of other initiatives.
A 2010 study by the consultancy Altechnica indicated that all of Uttlesford's energy could come from renewable sources.
In the Media and Trivia
In 2001, Uttlesford was voted as the best place to live in England, in a survey by the Sunday Times newspaper. A range of factors, including housing costs, quality of schools, and low crime contributed to the overall result. Uttlesford has also been polled as the healthiest place to live in the UK. A relatively very low level of obesity is in the area.
The District is the only UK local authority at non-parishes-level to begin with the letter 'u'. The only other letter of the alphabet used by only one UK local authority is 'y' is often seen in tables as York, but more properly on letters and in publications is seen as City of York.
- Grid reference Finder measurement tools
- Samuel Lewis (1848). "A Topographical Dictionary of England". Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- Stansted expands operations
- "Contact Us." Titan Airways. Retrieved on 16 December 2011. "Titan Airways Ltd Enterprise House Stansted Airport Essex CM24 1RN"
- "Contact Us." Buzz. Retrieved on 2 September 2009.
- "Home-page." [sic] AirUK. Retrieved on 28 February 2010.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 18–24 March 1998. 82.
- An Introduction to AB Airlines AB Airlines article 30 January 1998. Retrieved on 7 February 2011. "AB Airlines - Internet Enquiry Office Enterprise House, Stansted Airport Essex. CM24 1QW"
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 27 March-2 April 2001. 77. ibid. however postcode: CM241SB
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International later "Lloyd International Airways" were established at Lloyd House, Stansted from 10 April 1969. 580. "Head Office: Lloyd House, First Avenue, Stansted Airport, Essex."
- BBC News UK house prices: July to September 2012
- "You can’t keep a good town down" Sunday Times article 6 February 2011
- Uttlesford District Council
- http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article570194.ece news.independent.co.uk
- http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1829050,00.html environment.guardian.co.uk
- http://www.uttlesford.gov.uk/main.cfm?Type=CCEE&MenuId=361 www.uttlesford.gov.uk
- Claverton Energy: "Uttlesford could get all its energy from renewable sources"
Media related to Uttlesford at Wikimedia Commons