|Developer||The Ututo Team|
|Initial release||October 16, 2000|
|Latest release||XS 2012 / April 27, 2012|
|Update method||ututo-get, using ebuilds from Gentoo|
|Platforms||IA-32, x86-64; different repositories and optimizations for atom, duron-athlon, k8, pentium3, pentium4, nocona|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux-libre, FreeBSD)|
|Default user interface||GNOME, KDE, Xfce|
|License||Exclusively free licenses per GNU Free System Distribution Guidelines (GNU FSDG)|
Ututo is a Linux distribution consisting entirely of free software. The name makes reference to a gecko known by this name from northern Argentina. It is compiled using Gentoo Linux "ebuilds" and "emerge" software. All documentation is in Spanish.
Ututo was the first fully free Linux system recognized by the GNU Project. The founder of the GNU Project, Richard Stallman, formerly endorsed the distribution nearly exclusively,  and used in his personal machine, before he switched to gNewSense.
Ututo was first released in 2000 by Diego Saravia in National University of Salta. Argentina. It was one of the first live CD distributions in the world and the first Linux distribution in Argentina, under ISBN 987-9381-06-8. Ututo carried Simusol, a system to simulate Solar Energy projects. Ututo was called the simple GNU/Linux, because it did not need any configuration. It automatically detected the hardware in the machine, it only asked to "move your mouse". At that time no other distribution worked that way.[need quotation to verify]
In 2004, the Ututo-e project was born, swiftly becoming the most important derivative of Ututo. This project was started by Daniel Olivera.
The latest versions of Ututo are called "Ututo XS". With the emergence of the XS series, there have been many new features, including a faster system installer. It's being used in different hardware projects such as iFreeTablet.
The emergence of a package management system for Ututo has been the topic of many discussions over a few years. Pablo Manuel Rizzo has designed Ututo-Get, a tool for maintaining a package database modeled after Debian's APT; however, as other Gentoo-based distros, Ututo is compatible with Portage.
- Comparison of Linux distributions
- GNU/Linux naming controversy
- List of Linux distributions based on Gentoo
- "Investigadores atraparán 10 "Ututos"".
- "List of Free GNU/Linux Distributions".
- "Interview: Richard Stallman, Kernel Trap". 4 January 2005. Archived from the original on 20 January 2012.
- "Ututo-e: "The only free distribution" revisited".
- "Superuser - Richard Stallman". 2006. Archived from the original on 15 February 2008.
- "Stallman recommends Ututo XS in LatinoWare 2007".
- "Explaining Why We Don't Endorse Other Systems, GNU Project, 2009.".
- Guglielmetti, Marcos (2006). "Ututo: el sistema que usa Richard Stallman".
- Byfield, Bruce (2005). "Review: Ututo-e, the "only free distribution"".
- "SimuSol - Que es SimuSol". Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Ututo, el linux argentino year=2001".
- "INTERNET: Reportaje a Diego Saravia creador del Novedoso Ututo, de la Universidad Nacional de Salta". Clarín newspaper. 2001.
- "Argentina Embraces the Penguin". Wired magazine. 2001.
- "Linux penguin dances tango in schools. first=Fernando last=Cassia date=15 June 2003".
- "Ya van 11 escuelas de Buenos Aires con UtutoR (Reporte)".
- "Nueva distribución GNU/Linux totalmente libre: UTUTO-e".
- "DECLARAR DE INTERES DE LA H CAMARA EL "Proyecto Social de desarrollo e incorporación de Tecnología Informática basada en Software Libre denominado UTUTO"".
- "Software Libre : Proyecto UTUTO Declarado de Interés Nacional". Archived from the original on 31 July 2007.
- "Ututo XS liberado".
- "Ututo: Software Libre desde Argentina para el Mundo".
- ""UTUTO", EL SOFTWARE LIBRE ARGENTINO. Libertad, igualdad, fraternidad".
- Penalva, Javier (2 February 2010). "iFreeTablet, la tableta para el hogar digital made in Spain". Xataka. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "Ututo XS 2007".
- Official website
- A review of Ututo-e by Linux.com
- Richard Stallman talking about Ututo
- Ututo at DistroWatch