Uxbridge High Street railway station
|Uxbridge High Street|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|1 May 1907||Station opened for passengers|
|11 May 1914||Opened to goods traffic|
|1 January 1917||Service suspended|
|30 April 1919||Service resumed|
|25 September 1939||Passenger service ceased|
|July 1964||Goods service ceased and station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Uxbridge High Street railway station in Uxbridge, England, was on what is now Oxford Road near its junction with Sanderson Road. It was the southern terminus and only station on the Great Western Railway (GWR) branch line from the GWR/GCR joint line, which is now the Chiltern Main Line.
The station opened on 1 May 1907; the service was suspended between January 1917 and May 1920. The station closed to passengers on 25 September 1939, goods services continued until the station closed completely in July 1964.
The Uxbridge High Street branch was intended to be extended across the town to a point just south of Uxbridge Vine Street railway station, the terminus of the GWR branch from West Drayton. Whilst some land was purchased, and the lines extended over High Street via a bridge, this proposal was abandoned in 1914.
The branch from Uxbridge High Street ran along the west side of Shire Ditch and Frays River and through the centre of the present Denham Country Park. A triangular junction with the main line at the north end connected west towards Denham and east towards West Ruislip. The three junctions were named Denham South, Denham West and Denham East. The curve between the South and East Junctions was little used, and closed during World War I.
The locations of the curves joining the main line can be seen in the landscape today, forming the northern perimeters of the park's northern lake and woodland adjacent to Uxbridge Golf Course.
Most services from Uxbridge High Street ran to Denham via Denham West Junction, with some extended two stations further west to Gerrards Cross.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line closed, station open
|Great Western Railway
Uxbridge High Street branch
|South Harefield Halt
Line and station closed
- MacDermot, E.T. (1931). History of the Great Western Railway. Vol. II (1st ed.). Paddington: Great Western Railway.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (April 2002). Paddington to Princes Risborough. Western Main Lines. Midhurst: Middleton Press. ISBN 1-901706-81-8.
- Uxbridge High Street station before opening, 1906
- Viaduct to Uxbridge High Street station, 1906
- Other side of Viaduct showing access to station, 1906
- Denham West junction with the main line looking east, 1907
- Denham East junction with the main line looking east, 1907
- Denham East junction with the main line looking west, 1907