Uzhhorod National University
|Uzhhorod National University|
|ДВНЗ "Ужгородський національний університет"|
|Motto||The more we know, the more we can do!|
|Rector||Prof. Volodymyr Smolanka, Doctor of Medical Sciences|
Uzhhorod National University (also known as UzhNU, full name - State Higher Education Establishment "Uzhhorod National University", Ukrainian: Державний вищий навчальний заклад "Ужгородський національний університет" (ДВНЗ "УжНУ")), in the city of Uzhhorod, is one of the major universities in Ukraine, and earlier in the Soviet Union.
Uzhhorod State University was founded on July 19, 1945 in accordance with joint resolution of Council of People's Commissars of Ukrainian SSR and Central Committee of Communist Party of Ukrainian SSR. The resolution stated the following: "due to considerable demand of cultural upbringing in Transcarpatian Ukraine and the solicitude of the Council of Transcarpatian Ukraine, Council of National Commissars of Ukrainian SSR and Central Committee of Ukrainian Communist Party decree: "to open in 1945 State University in Uzhhorod with the following faculties: history, philology, biology, medicine…". Preparatory courses were opened first.
On February 1, 1946 the first 168 students from towns and villages of Ukraine began their studies. The first faculties to open were historical, philological, biological and medical. On July 1, 1946 there were 15 departments with 42 members in the teaching staff. In 1946 the Council of Ministers of USSR proclaimed that Uzhhorod State University belonged to the first category of higher education institutions and since then it has been administrated by the Ministry of Higher Education of the Soviet Union. Uzhhorod State University attained help from 50 biggest universities and academic institutions of Ukraine. Scientific, technical, political and science-fiction literature and text books were sent to Uzhhorod from universities in Baku, Kazan, Tbilisi as well as other towns and cities of the former Soviet Union. On October 19, 2000, Uzhhorod State University was renamed Uzhhorod National University.
The university today
The university today consists of three educational institutes (Institute of Foreign Languages, Institute of Economics and International Relations, Institute of Post- and Pre-degree Education), and 14 faculties: history, philology, law, social sciences, physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, medicine, stomatology, engineering, geography, physical education and sport, and Hungarian studies.
There are over 12,000 students enrolled at the university. Several scientific institutes and laboratories are housed at the university too, including the Institute for Solid State Physics and Chemistry, the Institute of Carpathian Studies, the Research Laboratory of Physical Electronics with the Space Exploration Laboratory, the Center for Hungarian studies, and the Research Laboratory of Ecosystem Conservation. The university operates a botanical garden and a mountainside biological research station. Its library collection has approx 1.5 million volumes.
Uzhhorod National University includes the following:
- college of natural sciences and humanities
- 23 educational-scientific institutes and faculties (113 departments in all)
- 25 scientific-research institutes
- Centres and laboratories
- 4 museums - zoological, archaeological, University history, a museum of ancient printed books (incunabula)
- a scientific library, university campus
- the centre of student leisure "Juventus"
- the sport complex "Burevisnyk"
- the alpine skiing base "Plishka" and the Alpine (high-mountain) biological base "Kolochava"
- Botanical Gardens and a vivarium
- the sanatorium-dispensary "Skalka"
- the social-psychological service
- a dental clinic
- the "Hoverla" publishing house and the newspaper "Pohlyad"
- a media centre
- administrative and supply economic sections / departments.
The general library collection includes more than 1.7 million documents. Research Library provides scientific and educational processes of the University, serving more than 15 thousand users. Delivery of books during the year is about 1 million documents. Library book exchange leads with 35 national libraries, as well as international book exchange with 5 foreign libraries, library of the Academy of Sciences and the Science Museum.
Institutes and faculties
17 faculties: Biology, Geography, Humanities and Natural Sciences Faculty with the Hungarian language of studying, economics, engineering, history, mathematics, medicine, international relations postgraduate education faculty of Philology, dental faculty, faculty of social sciences, physics, physical education and sport, philology, chemistry, and faculty of law.
- Institute of Economics and International Relations
- Institute of Foreign Languages,
- Institute of Continuing Education and Pre-university preparation.
- Research Institute of injury
- Research Institute of Analytic Technology
- Research Institute of Herbal Medicine
- Research Institute named by. M. Molnбr
- Research Institute of Brain
- Research Institute of Political Regionalistics
- The Institute of Public Administration
- Research Institute of Physics and Chemistry of Solids
- Research Institute of Carpathian
- Encyclopedia of Ukraine
- "STRUCTURAL UNITS". uzhnu.edu.ua. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "LIBRARY TODAY". uzhnu.edu.ua. Retrieved June 28, 2014.