||This article has an unclear citation style. (September 2011)|
|— County of Estonia —|
|• Governor||Andres Kõiv|
|• Total||2,305 km2 (890 sq mi)|
|Population (Jan 2010)|
|• Density||16/km2 ( 42/sq mi)|
Võrumaa or Võru maakond (English: Võru County, Võro: Võro maakund, German: Kreis Werro) officially, is a county in Southern Estonia. It is bordered to the north by the Põlva County and the Lake Pihkva; to the west by Valga County; to the south by Latvia; and to the east by the Russian Federation.
The territory of Võrumaa covers 2,305 km² and is influenced by a temperate seasonal climate. 37,693 people live in Võru County – constituting 2.8% of the total population in Estonia (as of January 2010).
Võrumaa in its historical borders (Võro: Vana Võromaa) included eight parishes: Karula, Hargla, Urvaste, Rõuge, Kanepi, Põlva, Räpina and Vastseliina. These parishes are currently centered (due to redistricting) in Võru and Põlva Counties with parts extending into Valga and Tartu Counties. From 1944 to 1953, the Estonian Forest Brothers (anti-Soviet partisans) were most active in Võru County.
County Government 
The County Government (Maavalitsus) is led by Governor (maavanem), who is appointed by the Government of Estonia for a term of five years. Since 2010 the Governor position is taken by Andres Kõiv. Estonian: 94,5%. Russian: 4,1%
The county is subdivided into municipalities. There is 1 urban municipality (linn – town) and 12 rural municipalities (vallad – parishes) in Võru County.
- Antsla Parish (includes the town of Antsla)
- Haanja Parish
- Lasva Parish
- Meremäe Parish
- Misso Parish
- Mõniste Parish
- Rõuge Parish
- Sõmerpalu Parish
- Urvaste Parish
- Varstu Parish
- Vastseliina Parish
- Võru Parish
Twin towns 
- Halsua, Finland
- Kaavi, Finland
- Kaustinen, Finland
- Nilsiä, Finland
- Perho, Finland
- Rautavaara, Finland
- Ullava, Finland
- Vehmaa, Finland
- Veteli, Finland
- Hella Keem (1997): Võru keel. Eesti teaduste akadeemia Emakeele selts. Tallinn.
- Aune Valk (2000): Võrokeste identiteedist. Kadri Koreinik, Jan Rahman (toim.) A kiilt rahvas kynõlõs.. Võrokeste keelest, kommetest, identiteedist (lk. 39–56). Võro Instituut'. Võro.
- "Population by sex, ethnic nationality and County, 1 January". stat.ee. Statistics Estonia. 1 January 2010. Retrieved August 2010.
- Suomen kuntien ystävyyskunnat Virossa
- Võrumaa – Official site
- Võru Maavalitsus – Võru County Government site
- Võro Institute
- Võrumaa Kutsehariduskeskus – Võru County Vocational Training Centre